Author Topic: I type faster on chiclet than mechanical, is it normal?  (Read 14556 times)

Offline Scoox

I type faster on chiclet than mechanical, is it normal?
« on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 01:10:47 »
Hi, just wondering if anyone has experience this. For a number of reasons I've been typing on my laptop's built-in keyboard for the past few months, instead of my Ergodox with Cherry MX Silent Reds, and I've seen a boost increase in typing speed and accuracy. The keys on  my laptop are a bit stiffer to begin with, so I can rest my finger tips on them without fear of accidental presses, but once you start pushing down on them they sort of "give in" and the actuation force is reduced, similar to the The Datahand Professional II with it's magnetic key switches, except that in this case it's rubber dome. That's one thing. The other thing that I think is more important is key travel. My laptop's keyboard has much shorter key travel compared to my Ergodox. Since I bottom out my keystrokes, I tend to waste a lot of time nad energy pushing keys down and then moving "back out" of the keystroke, and my fingertips often hit neighbouring keys when trying to glide over them. This slows down my typing and is a source of typing errors. One other thing, usually chiclet key caps have bigger surface area while mechanical keyboard keycaps tend to feature a more aggressive taper, which means you have to aim more precisely for the centre of the keycap rather than liberally pressing anywhere around the centre.

So basically I'm a bit confused because I see a lot of praise for mechanical keyswitches but my personal experience is quite different. Would like to know your thoughts, cheers!

Offline Findecanor

Re: I type faster on chiclet than mechanical, is it normal?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 01:15:15 »
It's all about personal preference and typing style.

Myself I can not stand either chiclet keys or long-travel linear switches. Wider key tops are known to increase the risk of pressing two keys at the same time, and while that sure is a problem for me, it is not for all people.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 03:01:27 »
I think for me the biggest factor might be key travel. Long key travel is wasteful.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 04:51:59 »
In my opinion, a full travel, mechanical switch is the best. If you got used to on laptop keyboards, or to ****ty rubber domes, you might find typing easier on these, and even faster too, as mechanicals require a quite different typing technique, to really get the advantages of it.

On a chiclet stlye keyboard, or on a rubber dome keyboard, you have to actually bottom out the keyswitch to make it activated, make your keypress register on the computer. That's actually because of the basic working principles of the rubber domes, as the domes have a conductive pad inside them, which sits over a membrane - in rarer cases a PCB - and closes the circuit, when your press collapses the dome.

On a mechanical keyboard, like your MX Silent Red one, the switches work completely differently, which causes them to activate the key partway through the keytravel. In the case of Cherry MX, the keys activate at 2 mm, and the complete keytravel is usually 4 mm. (This might differ from switch to switch) That's because of the workings of an electromechanical switch, as Cherry MX like switches have 2 contact leafs inside, separated by the stem's plastic protrusions. When you press the stem through the keycap, the protrusions go out of the way, and the leafs close the circuit, due to the springyness of the metal leafs.

Yes, 4 mm keytravel is a huge waste if you bottom out the keys with mechanical switches, like you have to with rubber domes. That's where touch typing comes into the story. Basically, you have to relearn typing, if you want to be effective and fast using a mechanical keyboard. Touch typing means, you don't press the keys all the way down, like you used to do it on rubber domes, instead, you just press the keys till they pass their activation point, and no further. Yes, this is hard to master - in my opinion, it is the hardest with linear switches like reds... - but if you mastered this technique, it allows you much more relaxed typing, much faster, much more accurate. If you don't hammer the keys, like you used to on laptops, your fingers will not slip out of the keycaps. You should check out the "official" way to type too, because staggered keycaps, and tapered keycap tops actually assisting the method, you was intended to type like. The classic keyboard design is a well tought out invention, but you have to use it correctly. ;)

I would reccomend you reconsidering your switch choice too. As you described, you have the fear of accidental keypresses with reds, which is a clear symptom of the switch is being too light for you. It won't help with your slipping fingers problem too, as the switches giving in too easy for you. I have this problem with reds too, as I'm a quite heavy handed person, due to playing electric guitar. (You have to press the strings pretty heavily if you think about it, you're playing on metal strings.) There are much heavier switches out on the market, my lightest switch choice is MX Blue. I can rest my fingers on them, without the fear of unwanted keypresses. As I mentioned earlier, I don't think a linear switch is ideal for learning touch type either, as you get no feedback where the switch is being activated. (Althrough, some experienced typists prefer linear swithces.) If you used to rubber domes, you should get a tactile, or a clicky switch. I can't recommend Cherry MX Brown as a tactile switch, as they are very lightly tactile, rubber domes are much more tactile in my opinion. My swicth choices - if we just include the choiche of Cherry swithces, as they dominate 90% of the market - would be vintage Cherry MX Blacks for linears, Cherry MX Clears for tactile, and Cherry MX Blue for cliclky switches, due to my hard pressing hands. (BTW, much better switches existing than Cherries, for exampe Honewell hall effect switches, Alps SKCL, optical switches for linears, Alps SKCM, some nice rubber domes like BTC and Topre for tactiles, IMB beam/bucking springs and Alps SCKM swithces if you want clicky switches, but these switches much harder to get hold off. Buckling springs and Mathias [modern Alps clones, as Apls keyboard switches no longer produced from the end of 90's] switches are still produced today, they worth a checking out.)

In summary, try out different switches than reds - even than Cherry MX - find the ones suiting your needs the best, and improve your typing thecnique, and your realitionship with mechanical keyboards will be much better. ;) Althrough I think, nothing wrong about loving chichlet keys, everyone has a different taste for stuff. 

P.S.: If you don't mash your keyboard, you also don't need dampened switches too, like a silent red.

Offline Scoox

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 07:21:33 »
Touch typing means, you don't press the keys all the way down

Touch-typing means typing without looking at the keyboard, AFAIK.

I would reccomend you reconsidering your switch choice too. As you described, you have the fear of accidental keypresses with reds, which is a clear symptom of the switch is being too light for you. It won't help with your slipping fingers problem too, as the switches giving in too easy for you.

You are probably right there, though key travel still would be a problem IMO. I have tried blacks and browns, blacks I found too heavy, while browns were about right but I never got on with the bump, it always felt to me like "scratchy reds". I think something in between reds and blacks, and with half the key travel would be perfect for me. I can type without bottoming out on the reds but with short key travel I actually prefer bottoming out. I also like how stiffer keys push my fingers up out of the keystroke, rather than me actively lifting them. With 4 mm key travel, for instance, if I was to type "much" on the QWERTY keyboard, for my finger to go from M to U it needs to glide over the J key. Because of the longer key travel, my finger would have to travel more mm than with, say, 2 mm travel. Naturally, my finger tries to take a shortcut and usually ends up clipping the corners of the J key—that's what I mean. Some times this would result in an accidental J being typed, some times it simply slows me down. On my Clevo laptop the keys are a tad too stiff but still I can type a lot faster and more accurately because I don't experience this problem.

If you don't mash your keyboard, you also don't need dampened switches too, like a silent red.

That's what I used to think, but the silent switches dampen on both the way down and the way up. On normal switches with o-rings you can dampen the way down but not the way up. My wife is grateful I got silents LOL

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 08:21:53 »

Been typing for almost 30 years and this is the definition I've always known for touch typing.
You type by sense of touch, not by looking at the keys.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 10:57:30 »

Actually, "touch typing" is a specific method that includes being able to type without looking, and more:
More
* Finding the "home row" by touch, and moving your fingers from there. This is why there are homing bumps and/or bars on the F and J keys. (And also why you can't touch-type on a touch screen):
* Using each finger for only a specific column(s)

Key travel and actuation distance has nothing to do with it. The method was devised in the era of mechanical typewriters, and on many of those the keys worked like on a piano: you had to press the key with enough speed or the type-arm would not get enough momentum to make an imprint on the paper.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2019, 09:02:33 by Findecanor »

Offline Riverman

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 10:59:36 »
I don't necessarily think that the keyboard you type the fastest on is the best.  Sometimes I type faster on a scissor switch keyboard than on a mechanical, and I generally type faster on an MX Brown keyboard than on a Topre, but the scissor switch keyboards hurt my fingertips after a long day because they require so much more pressure to activate, and MX brown keyboards are kind of boring, and are so light that I tend to make accidental key presses.  I just got a Cherry G80-3494 with silent blacks yesterday, and so far I love that one.  The switches are just a little heavier than browns, so I don't feel like I'm going to make as many accidental key presses, and they're pretty quiet for an MX switch, which I like for the office, even though my coworkers all have pretty noisy rubber dome keyboards.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 11:01:41 »
chiclet are theoretically the fastest for non-steno typing yes
I love Elzy

Offline Scoox

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 11:26:02 »
I don't necessarily think that the keyboard you type the fastest on is the best.

I can't disagree with that statement. But then again I never said it was better or worse, simply that I have noticed I am typing considerably faster and more accurately on my laptop than on the Ergodox with mechanical key switches. I've also had some pretty horrible rubber dome keyboards before on which typing was even slower.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 11:36:22 »
I don't necessarily think that the keyboard you type the fastest on is the best.

I can't disagree with that statement. But then again I never said it was better or worse, simply that I have noticed I am typing considerably faster and more accurately on my laptop than on the Ergodox with mechanical key switches. I've also had some pretty horrible rubber dome keyboards before on which typing was even slower.

How fast are you on the Laptop vs the Ergodox ?

Offline Scoox

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 11:55:05 »

How fast are you on the Laptop vs the Ergodox ?

I haven't taken any tests but I can feel it. I kinda realised a couple of days ago when my wife, who knows I've been a touch-typist since forever, pointed out my typing looked very fast.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 12:39:39 »

I haven't taken any tests but I can feel it. I kinda realised a couple of days ago when my wife, who knows I've been a touch-typist since forever, pointed out my typing looked very fast.

Grab some data points off 10fastfingers.com.  Otherwise, it's hard to know for sure whether you FEEL faster vs Actually Faster on a particular board.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 13:03:04 »
As you stated, key travel is definitely a factor here. Cherry-style switches have travel distances of 3.5-4.0mm. I'm sure Chiclet-style switches are shorter, somewhere around the 3.0mm-2.0mm range. Unless you are using a technique to avoid bottoming out on your mechanical keyboard's switches, it is physically impossible to type faster than your Chiclet-style keyboard. To type faster, you would have to use some type of speed switch and train yourself not to bottom out.

Here's another factor on top of what you've noted: Your laptop's Chiclet-style keyboard is most likely recognized by your laptop as a PS/2 keyboard, so it's input will always be processed faster by the computer than any non-PS/2 device (basically anything else that your laptop can interface with).

If you're curious, Box Royals, Novileas, and Outemu Sky switches are all kind of like chiclet switches. You might like the silenced Outemu Skys since they have a shorter travel distance. The ability to use sculpted keycaps might be useful in achieving the right balance between chiclet-style tactility and ergonomics.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 July 2019, 13:07:32 by equalunique »

Offline shadowku

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 13:54:06 »
The biggest factor with typing speed is yourself. If you type more with a particular keyboard, you'll type faster with it.

During MSN days when I was typing all day and night to my friends, my wpm was higher than it is now, because I was typing so much more. Now I don't type as much conversational text so my speed is significantly lower.
I'd actually expect a chiclet keyboard to be faster than a rubber dome because of key travel, so if I had a decent chiclet during those MSN days, I think I could have been faster. 

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 15:37:15 »
Ok, as it turns out, claiming that you can be much faster on mechanicals was a bit harsh statment, sorry about that.

As it happens, I've looked for an evidience on TypeRacer. I've just took a look at the hall of fame on typeracer.com , where you can find some guys typing insanely fast. As it turns out, lots of the fastest typists using chiclet style keyboards, but not everyone. The other half using mechanicals. No corelation between your typing speed and your keyboard switches then I guess.

Once I will measure my capabilities too, with my Lenovo ThinkPad X240 (normal laptop keyboard), with my HypreX Alloy FPS (Cherry MX Blue) and with my Cherry G80-9009HAU (Cherry MX Clears). I'm curious about the results, as - at least - I belive, a mechanical keyboard made my typing much faster, thanks to the more comfort.

I don't wanted to say, you can type faster based on the switches itself, but you can improve a lot if you type more comfortably. A mechanical allows you to not hammer your keyboard like an idiot, that's why important the partway activation. I'm sure you can type insanely fast for short periods of time on a laptop, fine. But what about maintaining that speed, till the end of the day, if you type 5 hours per day like a programmer does? I bet you don't want to do it with a laptop keyboard, on which you will hammer the keys by design... ;) The lenght of your typing session is a huge factor in that too.

As I mentioned it before, not everyone's needs are the same. If something works for me, it's great. That's the olny important thing. I wanted to highlight my reasons behind my choiche of keyboard, what I like in these type of keyboards. And to me, it allows faster typing in my experience, for longer periods of time, more comfortably that I would be able to do with my laptop. I actually quite hate my laptop's keyboard, althrough the Lenovo's keyboard said to be one of the the bests of the laptop keyboards on the market to date.

About the touch typing topic, OK, it is a typewriter era term then. But I wouldn't call it a touch, when you smash something. And it caused his speed loss here too. Touch isn't equals with not looking at the keyboard, you can hammer your keyboard bindly too... The way you type, all shoud be about your comfort. (At least in these days.) You type with your senses, and before you bottom out, you should stop pressing the key to aviod uneccesary motions. That's what I would call a touch. Would this be possible without the partway activation?

BTW, I stop spamming this thread with discussions about the meanings of definitions. If you want, you could call typing on your smartphone touch typing, becasue you touching the keys right? :D

All definition sucks in some way. 

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 15:48:23 »
Returning to the main topic, this guy has to change his typing habbits, to be able to enjoy the advantages of a mechanical keyboard for sure. I think even his choice of keyswitches was a miss here too. Sure he can type faster on his laptop, which he well used to, and well fitting to his needs. You adopting easier to a laptop keyboard, if you have bad typing habbits.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 17:39:18 »
If you are talking about Cherry switches, it seems like fat soft O-rings would be a big help.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline rxc92

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 12 July 2019, 20:08:07 »
I used to type a bit faster on my laptop keyboard than my mechanical. However, for me it was a matter of regularity of use; once I'd switched over to using my mechanical keyboard all the time, I became better with it than butterfly switches. However, I do notice (likely because of the larger keys and gaps between them) that I'm more accurate on my mechanical keyboard.

Offline Altis

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 18:18:09 »
I'm also probably my quickest on a snappy scissor-switch keyboard, like my Apple aluminum bluetooth board. They're short travel and very crisp, and basically pop your finger back up. I also find that particular board very easy to be precise with and not press adjacent keys due to the high threshold of tactility.

It's kind of funny how people will go on about how tactile buckling springs are or whatnot when they're nowhere even remotely close to how tactile many scissor switches are. Of all my keyboards (and I have quite a few), they're still the most tactile.

Having said that, it doesn't mean that I enjoy them the most or that I'm all that much worse off on other keyboards. I find Topre to be the sweet spot of enjoyment while also being very high in speed and accuracy. I think the longer travel and especially longer tactile hump makes it feel nice during fast typing -- unlike many mechanical switches that tend to linearize the faster you type.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Scoox

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 00:58:40 »
The thing with sprung switches is that force increases with distance (the further you push, the greater the force). With scissor switch keyboards, the starting force is high but once the key gets going it sort of collapses under the finger, thereby assisting the key press. For that reason, bottoming out on scissor switches is not a habit—it's an unavoidable consequence of the switch force actuation curve and the short key travel. The greater initial actuation force of scissor switches is also quite convenient, because I can rest my fingers on the keys without worrying about accidental key presses. With reds, I actively pull my hands upwards to prevent that. Using a heaver switch, e.g. blacks, would enable me to rest my fingers on the keys BUT the actuation force required to actuate the switch would be much greater than that of a scissor switch with the same starting force.  Hopefully that makes sense!

If there was an Ergodox with scissor switches, I'd probably buy that.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 07:18:19 »
The thing with sprung switches is that force increases with distance (the further you push, the greater the force). With scissor switch keyboards, the starting force is high but once the key gets going it sort of collapses under the finger, thereby assisting the key press. For that reason, bottoming out on scissor switches is not a habit—it's an unavoidable consequence of the switch force actuation curve and the short key travel. The greater initial actuation force of scissor switches is also quite convenient, because I can rest my fingers on the keys without worrying about accidental key presses. With reds, I actively pull my hands upwards to prevent that. Using a heaver switch, e.g. blacks, would enable me to rest my fingers on the keys BUT the actuation force required to actuate the switch would be much greater than that of a scissor switch with the same starting force.  Hopefully that makes sense!

If there was an Ergodox with scissor switches, I'd probably buy that.

If you look for a tactility simmilar to the scissor switches, you have your switch options on the mechanical market too. But I think, you don't want to use linear switches for sure. If you don't prefer the full 4mm travel distance, you still have your mechanical keyswitch options too. There are low-profile mechanical switches out there on the market.

The beauty of mechanical keyboards, is the unlimited customization options you have. But at the same time, this is a huge problem too, as you can easily get lost in this world, and you can easily make a bad keyboard decision. I would consider selling your MX Red board, as much I can see, you don't like these switches. If you satisfied enough with your chichlet keyboard, then look no further, you found your ideal keyboard, but if that isn't the case, look for switches that meets your needs. Try out as much keyboard as you can before you buy your next mech. 

Offline apastuszak

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 July 2019, 09:21:41 »
I used to always type faster on my laptop keyboard than on any mx switches I used. My typing accuracy increased dramatically when I finally bought a Model M. Have no idea why, but it did.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 07:33:55 »
I do too! Low profile is my favourite kind of switch.

Maybe i should switch to mid height switches.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:37:15 »
As you stated, key travel is definitely a factor here.
Total key travel does not matter. The travel from touch to feedback does (and that is not the same thing as travel from press to actuation).
If he got trained on using good tactile mechanical switches instead of linear switches ("best switch for gaming" my donkey) then I expect that there wouldn't be as much difference.

Here's another factor on top of what you've noted: Your laptop's Chiclet-style keyboard is most likely recognized by your laptop as a PS/2 keyboard, so it's input will always be processed faster by the computer than any non-PS/2 device (basically anything else that your laptop can interface with).
Theoretically, PS/2 and USB are about as fast as one-another, but there are many implementation parameters here and there that can slow things down. A PS/2 keyboard can be slower than a modern gaming keyboard over USB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:56:29 by Findecanor »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 08:43:03 »
BTW, I stop spamming this thread with discussions about the meanings of definitions. If you want, you could call typing on your smartphone touch typing, becasue you touching the keys right? :D
No I ****ing won't stop correct people when they use terminology wrong, or when they spread other common misconceptions.
When such misuse spreads, then that is regression in our society. It is dumbing us down. It get harder to discuss something properly when people have different conceptions of what something means.

It's not spamming. It's doing everyone a service. It's about trying to maintain the discussion on a high level, where it should be.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 July 2019, 09:06:54 »
No I ****ing won't stop correct people when they use terminology wrong, or when they spread other common misconceptions.
When such misuse spreads, then that is regression in our society. It is dumbing us down. It get harder to discuss something properly when people have different conceptions of what something means.

It's not spamming. It's doing everyone a service. It's about trying to maintain the discussion on a high level, where it should be.

Totally agree on maintaining the discussion on a high level. That's how a discussion can stay helpful to people, that's how a discussion can stay enjoyable.

But, does it helps going forward the threads original topic? I don't think so...

As a human, I make mistakes too, sorry about that. Thank you for correcting my knowlege base too.

Offline varszegimarcell

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 06:56:33 »
As you stated, key travel is definitely a factor here.
Total key travel does not matter. The travel from touch to feedback does (and that is not the same thing as travel from press to actuation).
If he got trained on using good tactile mechanical switches instead of linear switches ("best switch for gaming" my donkey) then I expect that there wouldn't be as much difference.

Theoretically, PS/2 and USB are about as fast as one-another, but there are many implementation parameters here and there that can slow things down. A PS/2 keyboard can be slower than a modern gaming keyboard over USB.

That's not totally right.

PS/2 is an interrupt based system, USB is polling based. (1000Hz in case of gaming stuff...) Theoretically PS/2 SHOULD be faster, as interrupts processed nearly instantly (as fast as the CPU got the interrupt request [IRQ]), although in practice no human being on the planet who can make a difference between microseconds. Makes no sense to talk about which one is the faster. The controller in the keyboards makes a big difference too, but if we just comparte the communication ports, PS/2 IS faster, but just for it's original purpose.   
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2019, 07:02:55 by varszegimarcell »

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:42:56 »
That's completely normal. Some of the fastest typists on earth don't even use mechanical keyboards, and when they do, they aren't always faster. (Some of them even despise mechanical keyboards for speedtyping!)

I think the main benefit of mechanical keyboards for typing is how predictable and consistent they are.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2019, 09:42:14 by notglacier »
actualglacier on youtube

Offline rxc92

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:31:49 »
That's completely normal. Some of the fastest typists on earth don't even use mechanical keyboards, and when they do, they aren't always faster. (Some of them even despise mechanical keyboards for speedtyping!)

I think the main benefit of mechanical keyboards for typing is how predictable and consistent they are.

Mm, I don't know about that. I've seen and asked Sean Wrona himself about typing, and he's a mechanical user, as are almost all of the top-level typists I've seen. A few of the very young ones or ones who can't afford a decent mechanical keyboard don't have them, but I don't know of any that specifically prefer (let alone despise, lol) rubber domes or scissor switches.

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 02:00:09 »

Mm, I don't know about that. I've seen and asked Sean Wrona himself about typing, and he's a mechanical user, as are almost all of the top-level typists I've seen. A few of the very young ones or ones who can't afford a decent mechanical keyboard don't have them, but I don't know of any that specifically prefer (let alone despise, lol) rubber domes or scissor switches.

I'm in a few discord servers with a bunch of extremely fast typists and while I agree that more than half of the top level guys use mechs, it really is more like a preference to them. I definitely have seen 200+ wpm people who prefer typing on macbook keyboards rather than a proper mech. (Apparently it's harder to slide your fingers across keys on mechs, which I agree.)

Sean himself has said that he isn't that much slower on a membrane keyboard, and if you look at his some of his newest YouTube videos, he's using a cheap Logitech k740.
actualglacier on youtube

Offline rxc92

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 03:46:06 »

I'm in a few discord servers with a bunch of extremely fast typists and while I agree that more than half of the top level guys use mechs, it really is more like a preference to them. I definitely have seen 200+ wpm people who prefer typing on macbook keyboards rather than a proper mech. (Apparently it's harder to slide your fingers across keys on mechs, which I agree.)

Sean himself has said that he isn't that much slower on a membrane keyboard, and if you look at his some of his newest YouTube videos, he's using a cheap Logitech k740.

200+ wpm? I doubt that there are more than ten people in the world that can type full text at 200, let alone "200+" wpm. Would you mind referring me to some of these discords? I fancy myself a good typist and could maybe learn something.

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 03:56:33 »

200+ wpm? I doubt that there are more than ten people in the world that can type full text at 200, let alone "200+" wpm. Would you mind referring me to some of these discords? I fancy myself a good typist and could maybe learn something.

There are dozens of people who can do 200+ wpm runs on 10fastfingers I can tell you that. Sean himself averages 170 ish on his non-quit typeracer account and the fastest guys on typeracer seems to average around that too. Sean is the GOAT though, still.

Here's the 10fastfingers server
https://discord.gg/7zVRSrY

Here's the Typeracer server. Sean himself is fairly active in here
https://discord.gg/Qdp8ReW
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 July 2019, 04:00:36 by notglacier »
actualglacier on youtube

Offline rxc92

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 09:57:28 »

There are dozens of people who can do 200+ wpm runs on 10fastfingers I can tell you that. Sean himself averages 170 ish on his non-quit typeracer account and the fastest guys on typeracer seems to average around that too. Sean is the GOAT though, still.

Mm, 170 and 200 are quite a far ways apart though, and we all know that the vast majority of those '200 wpm' runs on typeracer are single-sentence texts over less than 10 seconds. Even looking on the leaderboards for 10fastfingers, I don't see a single result from the past day above 200. I get it's a bit pedantic, but the obvious hyperbole is unnecessary.

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 July 2019, 14:51:55 »

Mm, 170 and 200 are quite a far ways apart though, and we all know that the vast majority of those '200 wpm' runs on typeracer are single-sentence texts over less than 10 seconds. Even looking on the leaderboards for 10fastfingers, I don't see a single result from the past day above 200. I get it's a bit pedantic, but the obvious hyperbole is unnecessary.

Because the people who can do 200 on 10fastfingers don't always login or type everyday maybe? haha. You can check the leaderboard on the 10fastfinger discord, that list alone has 10+ people in the 200+ wpm range for their personal best. I definitely have seen incredibly fast people say they prefer chiclets to mechanical keyboards, maybe not rubberdomes, but definitely chiclets. Which is why I brought it up.

It's merely preference, whether or not one is better than the other, in my opinion.
actualglacier on youtube