Author Topic: [IC] had80 - An affordable O-Ring TKL solution for case designers and hobbyists  (Read 10739 times)

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Hi everyone,

After a successful in-stock launch of my last board, the had60, I'm moving onto the next project in the queue--the had80! This was one of the most requested implementations from the form so I went ahead and threw it together alongside the order last year. The design features most of the same language but adds support for underglow LEDs and includes a daughterboard to minimize the expense of sourcing the parts separately. The boards have already been completely prototyped, I just need feedback on case compatibility as well as the length of the JST cable wanted (the board will come standard with 100mm for right-side connector positions). As of launching this IC, the had80 has a bottom-mounted USB Type-C connector with F13 support as well as a series of O-Ring mounting positions that resemble other popular options in the community.

Layout
More

Form
If you'd like to influence the direction of this project, please fill out the the interest check form:
https://forms.gle/rEbzsBPfckXnGAs99

I’ll send an email to responders closer to the end of the IC as notification for the preorder period.

Quantity/Availability
Unlimited preorder. NA orders will be handled by me and hosted on my site,  https://www.senselessclay.com/. If there's interest in purchasing or distributing to other parts of the world, please indicate so on the IC form. Pricing may vary depending on locale.

Features
- USB Type-C Connector
- QMK/VIA compatible
- F13, but willing to produce F12 if there's more desire for supporting standard TKL boards like the KBD8x
- 4-pin JST Header pre-soldered (pinout conforms to the Unified Daughterboard standard)
- Pre-flashed with ANSI, but includes support for ISO and WKL layouts
- ESD and overcurrent protection as well as EMI filtering
- Orange soldermask
- Breakaway daughterboard with cable
- Some nifty board art by yours truly (note that the owl will most likely be removed in the production run--I received permission to modify the source image for commercial purposes but would rather stick to my own additions)

Price
$40-50. Includes custom packaging. Might be able to go lower depending on the level of interest and cost of the controllers at order time.

Potential additions
- Option to desolder connector for an additional fee ($2).
- FR4 half-plates (+$10ish)
- O-Rings (+$3ish)
- Acrylic board (more details soon)

Timeline (ON HOLD UNTIL MORE FEEDBACK IS RECEIVED)
Interest Check : April - May 2021
Accepting orders : May 2021
Order/Production : May - June 2021 (will place order as soon as we hit target price point and close window once all units are sold)
Shipping/Fulfillment : late June - July 2021

Discord Server (brand new! be kind)
https://discord.gg/pjK3FCNfvf

Shameless self-promotion
In addition to the storefront, I run a small YouTube channel and Discord server for makers looking to implement their own keyboards from scratch. If you’d like, we’re always looking for new members to join and collaborate on projects. I stream a bit of some of my design work on the side, too, and will probably give a prototype or two of this PCB away at some point around fulfillment time.   

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpWGAJr2AU7LPUwVYbBQZRg
https://discord.gg/E6ujkUG
https://www.twitch.tv/hadipotter
https://www.patreon.com/hadiiskandarani

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 June 2021, 12:53:19 by Hadi »

Offline kyuut

• i just learned a new dance
pretty nice to see a new option coming out, the 60% pcb was also very interesting. but would you consider removing the meme flex cuts? this pcb is likely unusable with a half plate.
i'd rather see it being 1.2mm without cuts or 1.6 with a single or double flex cut at most. i think the current ones are too much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 16:09:26 by kyuut »
More
TGR Jane v2 | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR x SINGAKBD Unikorn 2.2 | SINGAKBD Kohaku R2 Prototype | HHKB Professional 2

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
pretty nice to see a new option coming out, the 60% pcb was also very interesting. but would you consider removing the meme flex cuts? this pcb is likely unusable with a half plate

I'll be trying out a half-plate with the boards next week and will report back. Honestly, though, the cuts and target price point are really the only thing differentiating this board from others on the market currently.

Offline kyuut

• i just learned a new dance
pretty nice to see a new option coming out, the 60% pcb was also very interesting. but would you consider removing the meme flex cuts? this pcb is likely unusable with a half plate

I'll be trying out a half-plate with the boards next week and will report back. Honestly, though, the cuts and target price point are really the only thing differentiating this board from others on the market currently.

I see, i understand your points and i will be looking forward to see your testing. GLWIC
More
TGR Jane v2 | TGR Jane v2 CE | TGR x SINGAKBD Unikorn 2.2 | SINGAKBD Kohaku R2 Prototype | HHKB Professional 2

Offline beigeandbrown

Really glad the usb is on the bottom, means it will support the 8x no? That is if you decide to support f12 as well as f13 (plssssssss) also I'd really like scroll/caps through hole led support. but my lord is that orange board sexy.

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri
Really glad the usb is on the bottom, means it will support the 8x no? That is if you decide to support f12 as well as f13 (plssssssss) also I'd really like scroll/caps through hole led support. but my lord is that orange board sexy.

Theoretically yes, but I don't think F12 and F13 support would work simultaneously. I guess we'll see how much relative interest there is in either of the layouts, but I'd be happy to just order both if there's enough demand. Of course, splitting quantities may increase the target price.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
This is neat, wonder if anyone will design a gummy tkl around it. nice.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri

I see, i understand your points and i will be looking forward to see your testing. GLWIC

On thinking about it, I guess we'll see. Please make sure to fill out the IC form with the recommendation!

Offline Extra Fox

• quis qui sais
I'm excited, I mean, I need to design the case and build the had60 first, but this looks like it will be equally fun to build.
A-a-ron

Offline Diggidy

I purchased a 60, and will for sure support this project too.

I would love a USB delete option with this as well. I only have F12 TKL currently, so that as an option would be preferred. Very interested to see your results with a TKL half plate and this PCB.

Offline themasterphi

Puchased the had60 and overall impressed with it. Quality seems great and price was another banger. Excited to buy this to try on some TKLs. Hopefully we'll start seeing more TKLs taking advantage of o-ring gasket mounts too.

Offline WhitePlate

• First Grader of Nobody
Always excited to see some hadi projects

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
Ifeel like I commented on this already. but +1 for No flex cut
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Hadi

• Formerly eqtri

Hi treeleaf,

I made a comment about this earlier, but there are already options on the market for both F12 and F13 PCBs without cuts. This project is really more about giving people a fun way to customize the feel of their keyboards further rather than making any superlative claims about the design. I understand that flex cuts are controversial.

In fewer words, maybe, but then there'd be no point.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 April 2021, 15:22:25 by Hadi »

Offline beigeandbrown

Hi treeleaf,

I made a comment about this earlier, but there are already options on the market for both F12 and F13 PCBs without cuts. This project is really more about giving people a fun way to customize the feel of their keyboards further rather than making any superlative claims about the design. I understand that flex cuts are controversial.
I think flex should always be the goal of the board, if anything, I think it could be cool to do a 1.2mm pcb with a single center flex cut similar to the otd 356 mini pcb. But yeah I think the main thing should be about giving a good tkl flex option and also, support for bottom usb boards that have been left in the dust by the hiney options.

Offline godzillq25

f12 layout for 8x plzz

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
will this be compatible with the a.87 layout just like Hiney's H87A/C and H88A/c?
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline SourKimchi

I would jump on a F12 version for sure.

Offline djmantis

Also into a F12 version. I would buy another KBD8x just to use the PCB  :thumb:

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
3-1-3 bar support pls!

Offline kaag

how long is the oring gonna be to fit in tkls

Offline cadrev

As far as I’m aware, there are  no(?) pcb for 87 or 88 tkls with flex cuts. So what I’m asking is will this fit cases that will use like say Hiney H88c?  If it does then I want one!