Author Topic: [IC] EnjoyPBT Extended 2048  (Read 91644 times)

Offline kakiharaOne

Re: [IC] EnjoyPBT Extended 2048 (GB 04/19 — 05/19)
« Reply #350 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 17:10:57 »
Just to confirm, there is no R2 1U pipe/forward slash key in any of the kits?

nope

Thanks for confirming. :(

Offline biip

• @biipmk

Offline welou

« Reply #352 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 07:20:48 »
I've been evaluating this keyset for Finnish/Swedish keyboard layout on macOS and I've identified a couple of smaller issues. I'm using the Finnish locale, but to my understanding the actual keyboards from Apple are identical for both Finland and Sweden (I'm not sure if the Swedish locale would produce different alternate characters). A bit late to point these out at this stage but I'll comment these anyway since I did not spot these in the earlier discussion.

The keys 4, 7 and 0 on the numerical row cannot be matched with this keyset to macOS FI/SWE layout. For my purposes I won't be needing function keys or the numpad area so I'm ignoring those entirely (but they seem OK).

In this layout the shift+4 should produce a € - symbol, while option+4 produces $. Therefore for FI/SWE layout the keyset should have a "4" - key with € - symbol at the top. The closest option for this key is the one from INTL kit with dollar symbol at the top and euro symbol at the lower right corner (so the currency symbols are in a reversed order for this layout). A preferred alternative would be a "4" - key with Euro symbol at the top. Apple themselves omit the Dollar alternate symbol.

The second issue concerns the curly brackets and the keys "7" and "0". On a FI/SWE layout three types of brackets ("()", "[]", "{}") are produced using the keys "8" and "9" on the numerical row. Combined with shift these keys produce the round brackets, combined with the option key they produce the square brackets and together with both shift and the option key they produce the curly brackets. Therefore the keycaps for "8" and "9" in the INTL kit are OK, but the keyset does not have options for keys "7" and "0" which would omit the additional curly bracket legends (the ones in BASE kit have incorrect alternative symbols for FI/SWE layout).

And for the sake of completeness, on a FI/SWE layout shift+7 produces "/", option+7 produces "|", shift+option+7 produces "\". Shift+0 produces "=", option+0 produces "≈", shift+option+0 produces "≠".

I'm new to this so cannot say if this in general is a known issue and just a consequence of the difficulty of matching all possible layouts. Seems to me that one additional key (a "4" with Euro on top, perhaps omitting the secondary alternate character, but if one was included it could be the Dollar symbol) and a change to two keys (omit the curly bracket legends from "7" and "0" in the INTL kit) would have made this set compatible with FI/SWE macOS layout. Or alternatively if the legends from "7" and "0" could not be removed, perhaps two additional keycaps would have been needed in the INTL kit to cover those as well.

I don't think these are dealbreakers for me and I can live with the inaccurate legends on the three keys, especially since I'm sure my locale is in a minority here. It was so close though...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #353 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 17:42:13 »
@welou

Bellow is an example of an standard Swedish layout fitted with an OG Cherry double shot set owned by DT's user Dorf. As you can see, it can be fully reproduced with 2048 key set.

Apple's well known to make everything proprietary and it would not be a surprise that they decided to make its own version of Norde layouts. Therefore, what you referred to as small issues might be due to MacOS and not to this set.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #354 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 17:49:36 »
@welou

Bellow is an example of an standard Swedish layout fitted with an OG Cherry double shot set owned by DT's user Dorf. As you can see, it can be fully reproduced with 2048 key set.

Apple's well known to make everything proprietary and it would not be a surprise that they decided to make its own version of Norde layouts. Therefore, what you referred to as small issues might be due to MacOS and not to this set.

Show Image

i was gonna say the same thing
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #355 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 17:54:14 »
@welou

Show Image

I just began learning Japanese. Hoping to know at least the 1000+ kanji required for 6 graders, this year. Based on your location, you should be a Japanese speaker, right?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #356 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:25:14 »
@welou

Show Image

I just began learning Japanese. Hoping to know at least the 1000+ kanji required for 6 graders, this year. Based on your location, you should be a Japanese speaker, right?

my location is the name of a book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ark_Sakura

i speak a little but not really enough to teach
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #357 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:30:36 »
@welou

Show Image

I see. I really did not imply any help calling, but thank you very much for considering.  :p

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #358 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 00:23:50 »
@welou

Show Image

I see. I really did not imply any help calling, but thank you very much for considering.  :p

i like to help when i can

i just also like to ****post about anything that moves

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #359 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 03:43:40 »
Hey, I was not aware that there was a specific Mac layout for Finnish/Swedish languages. And unfortunately it’s now too late to make changes. I hope it’s not a deal breaker.

Offline welou

« Reply #360 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 14:57:19 »

Apple's keyboards go further back in history than the relevant ISO and ANSI standards so that characterisation isn't entirely fair (meaning: in order to deviate from a standard the standard has to exist first). I admit, though, that I don't know when the first specifically SWE/FI keyboard was made by them and what layout it might have followed. Or their first ISO keyboards in general.

When it comes to this keyset it seems fairly obvious to me that it would mainly be of interest to macOS users. The icons used in the keyset wouldn't match the UI in Linux or Windows systems and on macOS I'd expect many users would like to retain the integration between the keyboard symbols and the system UI (which this keyset allows). For reference, here's an example from their developer documentation of the icons used in system menus (https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/menus/menu-bar-menus/):

In this light it would make sense in this case to follow Apple's keyboard layouts in situations where there's a conflict (the quoted comment from biip is relevant here).

Hey, I was not aware that there was a specific Mac layout for Finnish/Swedish languages. And unfortunately it’s now too late to make changes. I hope it’s not a deal breaker.

No worries! Already went with the BASE, INTL and ICONO kits because the set looks so nice. But maybe this is useful information in general regarding international kits? As far as I can see the three keys (4, 7 and 0) were the only problematic ones for FI/SWE on macOS, but there could of course be more regional differences in other macOS locales.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #361 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 16:20:48 »
The use of Mac icons does not make this set targeted to mac users. It is something you will learn as you see more GBs and stay around keyboard forums.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #362 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 02:49:07 »
Keep in mind that this set is inspired by Apple Extended Keyboards (I & II).
The goal here wasn't to replicated something existing or to create a sequel of an Apple keyboard.

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #363 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 00:17:03 »
Any dyesub samples yet ?

Offline Windeh

• a no name
Re: [IC] EnjoyPBT Extended 2048
« Reply #364 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 11:53:37 »
👀

Show Image

I bought the set before I saw the render...  :eek:

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #365 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 02:30:41 »
Any dyesub samples yet ?

I should receive them in 2-3 days :thumb:

Offline eirunoopi

« Reply #366 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 13:09:51 »
Sorry to be that guy, but is there any chance of spare/extra sets now that the GB period is over?
I don't check these forums as often as I should...

Offline Hotsauce

« Reply #367 on: Sat, 06 July 2019, 22:15:09 »
Hopefully KBDFans purchased a lot of extras....

Offline BahaMech

• Contact Me on Discord - dionsalekian#8349
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 00:10:30 »
any updates on how its coming along?
Thanks, Dion

Offline CYFX

« Reply #369 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 18:29:26 »
any updates on how its coming along?
Thanks, Dion

You should be checking the GB thread for updates, rather than the IC.

Offline biip

• @biipmk
« Reply #370 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 02:31:30 »
shipping is starting next week :thumb:

Also, would be nice if a mod could lock this topic.

Offline donkey

« Reply #371 on: Sun, 06 October 2019, 13:08:07 »
shipping is starting next week :thumb:

Also, would be nice if a mod could lock this topic.

Biip, please do another round of 2048 ASAP. 2048 is going to be a classic.

Offline heyjaykay

« Reply #372 on: Thu, 10 October 2019, 03:21:09 »
Really need this. Hope it runs again

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 08:49:20 »
Same here…(wonder why this topic isn't closed? well, still a safe place to whine…)

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #374 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 09:46:15 »
Yeay, need this, hope it runs again

Offline Hapi

« Reply #375 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 02:32:19 »
Yeay, need this, hope it runs again
me to

Offline consumer

« Reply #376 on: Thu, 16 January 2020, 04:31:23 »

Offline krpsh

• 6x% Lover
« Reply #377 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 21:56:43 »
i love it
too late..

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #378 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 11:53:34 »
I have the set, and even I hope it runs again!

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #379 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 15:43:03 »
It would be great if won’t supported the various 40s kits. I wonder if they’ve raised the budget for the tooling...?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #380 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 16:11:38 »
I bought a couple of sets. And very happy with the design - the epbt quality is still not up to par with GMK but I can tolerate it.
If GMK 2048 can happen it will be a true blessing, but yeah I know it will be a long shot.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #381 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 17:31:59 »
I bought a couple of sets. And very happy with the design - the epbt quality is still not up to par with GMK but I can tolerate it.
If GMK 2048 can happen it will be a true blessing, but yeah I know it will be a long shot.

That would be an expensive project. But cool to see happen.

Offline krpsh

• 6x% Lover
« Reply #382 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 20:01:24 »
You are thinking what I am thinking.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #383 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 20:14:28 »
I’m curious, what did you think was not up to par with GMK?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #384 on: Mon, 20 April 2020, 07:50:44 »

Double shot ABS are totally different to PBT dysubs. There is no point in comparing them.

Offline piit79

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 21 April 2020, 06:20:38 »
Also wonder. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, the legends are beautiful and sharp - better than GMK. I also very much enjoy the silky smooth texture.

I heard there's some warping, but I wouldn't know as my largest cap is a 2u spacebar ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #386 on: Wed, 22 April 2020, 08:47:35 »
Also wonder. I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, the legends are beautiful and sharp - better than GMK. I also very much enjoy the silky smooth texture.

I heard there's some warping, but I wouldn't know as my largest cap is a 2u spacebar ;)

My set does not have any flaw. It is just beautiful. I think, some people repeat the mantra that GMK is better than anything else. I really like my OG Cherry sets and the few GMKs that I have are not bad either. While I love the shiny textures of my old and used OG Cherry, the texture on ePBT feels just very nice to not like it.