Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3497176 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #650 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:17:04 »
Like on the forum you can hit the button and paste a link or on mobile there's a button to host. I just type the tags out.

Oh yeah. I rarely use that. I type them out when on my phone, or copy the BBCode from imgur when on desktop.

Lookie:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #651 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:17:14 »
Like on the forum you can hit the button and paste a link or on mobile there's a button to host. I just type the tags out.

That's what I do as well, but wait! People actually use the GH mobile app instead of Tapatalk? It's wonky and not very good imo D:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #653 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:34:20 »
You've got it!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #654 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:52:38 »
What is this an excersize on picture squishing?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #655 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:54:30 »
Posting images and manipulating the displayed sizes. :)

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #656 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 17:31:09 »
Posting images and manipulating the displayed sizes. :)
We don't use no fancy words like that 'round here. We call that picture squishin'.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #657 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 19:51:57 »
So I have a question for once. I have a Pure but I want to fit it in a case designed for a Poker. Can I do this? I know the question is a bit general so I have a follow on.

Can someone get me the following info for a Pure?
  • PCB dimensions
  • Location of the USB
  • Location of the standoffs if the Pure has them

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #658 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:04:19 »
Same, same, and it will depend on the case. The Pure PCB has the same holes as the Poker PCB plus an additional one in the middle.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #659 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:06:17 »
Same, same, and it will depend on the case. The Pure PCB has the same holes as the Poker PCB plus an additional one in the middle.

Yup! I think the only difference for a case is that extra mounting point!

Also, grats on 1000 points madame! Errr posts I guess hah

Offline phx

« Reply #660 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:15:31 »
not sure if this is a simple question....
I recently bought a old IBM Model M, it's a bit dirty, how should I clean the caps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #661 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:18:36 »

Yay! you hit 1k in my thread :D Congrats!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #662 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:19:25 »
not sure if this is a simple question....
I recently bought a old IBM Model M, it's a bit dirty, how should I clean the caps?

phx, there is a process called retr0brite that people use to clean the cap if they are yellowed. If they're simply dirty, you can put 2 denture tabs in warm water and put the caps in there for 20 minutes. Dry and they'll be clean.

Edit: Sorry for the double post!!

Offline phx

« Reply #663 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:31:53 »
wow this is lame, i cant undo the bolts... the holes are too small for my screw driver to reach in

Offline phx

« Reply #664 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:32:10 »
can I.... wash it with water?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #665 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:41:07 »
can I.... wash it with water?

You can but it won't get rid of the yellowing or anything.

Offline phx

« Reply #666 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:46:41 »
omg wtf the bolts....

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #667 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 23:11:03 »
omg wtf the bolts....
Bolts?! You lucky ****!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #668 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:13:34 »
Triple shots. I know they exist, but what company does them?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #669 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:22:00 »
phx! Ignore the bolts, just pop off the caps like any other board and soak them in water with denture tabs. That'll clean them up nice.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #670 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:29:48 »
phx! Ignore the bolts, just pop off the caps like any other board and soak them in water with denture tabs. That'll clean them up nice.

Simple question, is this a good idea or not? Regardless, I'm going to try and make ATLEAST one for myself :D

Gupgup

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #671 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:31:46 »

Simple question, is this a good idea or not? Regardless, I'm going to try and make ATLEAST one for myself :D

Gupgup

No!! Put your rare caps on your most used keys and giver! :p

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #672 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:33:38 »

Gupgup

No!! Put your rare caps on your most used keys and giver! :p

Hahah that DOES seem like a good idea... :p

But seriously :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #673 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:35:50 »

Gupgup

Pretty subjective question but I'll bite. If I play devil's advocate, why not pickup a numpad or SP's cap show case thingys? Why would we want to make a PCB/case for this? And the GH60 numpad would look great as a cap showcase.

But honestly, I like the idea. MK.com had a mini 4 switch pcb thing that had cleap caps so you could see the red, brown, blue, and black stem. And actually press down on then and get a feel for pcb mounted switches

Triple shots. I know they exist, but what company does them?

I dont think any current company makes triple shots. Only ever seen em on super old boards like the Hall Effect boards/numpads
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:39:01 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #674 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 08:16:13 »
Well according to deskthority.net/wiki/keycap_printing

"Triple or even quadruple shot molded keycaps have been made, but these would involve even more expense and complication."

some images for you guys to ponder
http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mechanical-keyboard-guide/9200#post_11155720
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #675 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:22:13 »
Can anyone confirm if the Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate has the required hardware for LED's in the keys or would I have to add that myself?

Tips on opening a Das would be very nice as well as if it is plate or PCB mount switches

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #676 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:36:42 »
Can anyone confirm if the Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate has the required hardware for LED's in the keys or would I have to add that myself?

Tips on opening a Das would be very nice as well as if it is plate or PCB mount switches

Melvang

I cannot say this with certainty, as I have never had my hands on a Das Ultimate S, but I highly doubt the PCB has the required holes for in-switch LEDs. And they are plate mounted switches. I'm not saying that some highly motivated person couldn't mod the switches to include LEDs, but it would be very difficult.

Scenario 1: You get a tiny drill bit and drill out the holes in the correct places in the PCB for the LED legs. Then install the LEDs in the switches and wire them all by hand under the PCB.

Scenario 2: You desolder all the switches, remove the PCB, install the LEDs in the switches mounted in the plate, wire them all by hand under the plate (routing the wires so that you can still install the plate and switches onto the PCB, then solder everything back together.

In each case, you would have to tap power from somewhere to provide for the LEDs.

in memoriam

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #677 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 10:47:35 »
Thanks for the info JD.  Would you happen to know if a single USB plug straight from the mobo could drive those LED's?  Was trying to decide between installing LED's or putting an EL panel under the keycaps but not sure if there is room between the bottom of the cap and the top of the plate.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #678 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:21:49 »
Actually, if USB could power them, that'd be perfect as the Das has a USB hub built in that you could use to run them on.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #679 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:25:35 »
that was exactly what I was thinking.  But I think I am leaning towards the EL panel for a couple reasons.

1.  Softer more even glow
2.  Easier wiring
3.  I have found a website that sells a kit that is USB powered but don't remember how big the panel is
4.  No switch removal.  Just cut holes in the panel where the switches are, stick it down, plug it in and turn it on.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #680 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:38:56 »
What about those LED strips that you can cut at certain points and wire together? I would imagine that a lot of people who want backlighting don't actually use caps that are backlight compatible. Are you just interested in the light shining through, or are you particularly looking for them to be placed exactly where the caps are at?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #681 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 11:50:07 »
mostly just wanting a nice even glow comming up between the keys.  Similar to the backlighting on the Razer Nostromo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221212092382?_trksid=p2048036

far right pic is a good shot of the backlight

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #682 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 12:03:08 »
See, something like this: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/image/11327/cpa-419_4.jpg/cpa-420/Lian_Li_12V_Red_LED_Kit_-_360mm_Strip_Lighting_-_4-Pin_LED-R.html

You can cut them and wire them together. That way, you could arrange them how you see fit under the plate. And they are thin strips, so you could most likely slide them in between the plate and PCB without having to desolder anything!

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #683 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 12:09:42 »
Anyone with experience shipping via EMS; how long do packages normally take to clear US customs?  (I know the white powder probably caused a more thorough search...   :p )

I've checked status on my keyboard shipment, coming in from Taiwan (PC Home), and it shows that the package was received in the US and inbound to Customs on the 7th.  What's the best guess on when that will be released and in USPS mail?  A week?  Two?  Sometime in May, if I'm lucky?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #684 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:19:36 »
Depends if they feel like holding it for inspection. Most packages are not and clear in a few days. Packages that are held for inspection may take weeks.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #685 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:26:52 »
Depends if they feel like holding it for inspection. Most packages are not and clear in a few days. Packages that are held for inspection may take weeks.

"...weeks?!"   :eek:

Good grief.  Well, I'll cross my fingers it clears more quickly.  Thanks for the info!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #686 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:28:23 »
Yes, it varies from days to weeks. I've had things sent from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong arrive in like 3 days. Other things have taken 3-4 weeks. It's pretty random.

in memoriam

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #687 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 13:32:33 »
Yes, it varies from days to weeks. I've had things sent from China/Taiwan/Hong Kong arrive in like 3 days. Other things have taken 3-4 weeks. It's pretty random.

I wouldn't be surprised is this was yet another area of government impacted by the bloody sequestration budget cuts...   :mad:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #688 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 15:58:42 »

I wouldn't be surprised is this was yet another area of government impacted by the bloody sequestration budget cuts...   :mad:

Please keep political opinions out of this thread. Really dont care for them one way or another.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #689 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:53:36 »

Please keep political opinions out of this thread. Really dont care for them one way or another.

Jawohl, mein Capitan!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #690 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 16:57:09 »

Jawohl, mein Capitan!

Danke mein fraulein :D  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 17:04:40 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #691 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 17:00:21 »

Jawohl, mein Capitan!

Danke mein fraulein :D:P

Bitte.

Offline babyhands

« Reply #692 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 20:22:20 »
Well the topre appreciation thread gave me no help, so I am going to ask this here:
Hey guys, I really didn't feel like reading through 12 pages, nor did I think it was acceptable to start a new thread when this exists:
I am a gamer, mostly sc2 (fairly high level, and only getting better) and dota. How are topre's for gaming? I first was interested in mechanical keyboards for the NKRO, because when playing mmo's my old keyboard wouldn't be able to register all of the buttons i was pressing. Any who, I am assuming topre's don't have NKRO? I guess it isn't that big of a deal because now that I play sc2 mainly I don't really need it, but this still stands, how do you guys feel they are for gaming? Also, maybe its just me, but in the pictures the f keys look kinda far away from the number row. As my username suggests, I do have small hands, and like my keybinds as close together as possible, so are the f keys really farther away than normal keyboards (like the ducky TKL i am typing on right now), or is it just the pictures? Also, people say these boards feel like a high quality rubber dome, but that just doesn't make sense to me. The reason I like my cherry browns and blues so much is because they are almost crispy, they almost feel magnetic if that makes sense? Rubber domes are the opposite, and I am hoping Topres aren't like rubber domes, but instead they have a super crisp, tactile, feel like browns and blues?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #693 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 20:26:53 »
Topres work fine for gaming.  The only possible issue in my experience is that the variable boards have very light keys on the pinkys, so when you rest your hand on the WASD cluster, you may accidentally activate the "A" key.  Otherwise, they're great!  The Realforce is just a nice keyboard, period.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #694 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 20:34:47 »
Well the topre appreciation thread gave me no help, so I am going to ask this here:
Hey guys, I really didn't feel like reading through 12 pages, nor did I think it was acceptable to start a new thread when this exists:
I am a gamer, mostly sc2 (fairly high level, and only getting better) and dota. How are topre's for gaming? I first was interested in mechanical keyboards for the NKRO, because when playing mmo's my old keyboard wouldn't be able to register all of the buttons i was pressing. Any who, I am assuming topre's don't have NKRO? I guess it isn't that big of a deal because now that I play sc2 mainly I don't really need it, but this still stands, how do you guys feel they are for gaming? Also, maybe its just me, but in the pictures the f keys look kinda far away from the number row. As my username suggests, I do have small hands, and like my keybinds as close together as possible, so are the f keys really farther away than normal keyboards (like the ducky TKL i am typing on right now), or is it just the pictures? Also, people say these boards feel like a high quality rubber dome, but that just doesn't make sense to me. The reason I like my cherry browns and blues so much is because they are almost crispy, they almost feel magnetic if that makes sense? Rubber domes are the opposite, and I am hoping Topres aren't like rubber domes, but instead they have a super crisp, tactile, feel like browns and blues?

Again. Subjective but I'll still bite. :D If you know TT1, he played with a Topre board. He might still but I'm not sure. I believe so did MC. So I'm sure that you can be just as successful as they were/are ^_^
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 20:36:59 by CPTBadAss »

Offline babyhands

« Reply #695 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:09:11 »
yes I know TT1, and i don't think i can be succesful as MC...Has anyone tried them that can comment to my question about how they feel? Do the have the crispness I am talking about? Because rubber domes are so mushy...

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #696 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:12:57 »
yes I know TT1, and i don't think i can be succesful as MC...Has anyone tried them that can comment to my question about how they feel? Do the have the crispness I am talking about? Because rubber domes are so mushy...

This is very subjective. I'm hesitant to answer but I honestly at the moment think they feel mushy like rubber domes. But I now bring wrath on my head. I'd rather not have this thread turn into another opinions thread...

Offline babyhands

« Reply #697 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:33:58 »
I feel like its not THAT subjective :P, are they tactile? are they crisp feeling like blues or browns? Or are they different? I mean i am not here to start an argument, just wanted to see what they feel like because "high quality" rubber dome doesnt really mean much to me, and they are so expensive i won't get to try one unless i buy one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #698 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:41:34 »
I feel like its not THAT subjective :P, are they tactile? are they crisp feeling like blues or browns? Or are they different? I mean i am not here to start an argument, just wanted to see what they feel like because "high quality" rubber dome doesnt really mean much to me, and they are so expensive i won't get to try one unless i buy one.

To me they feel like they're rubber domes that have an actuation/bump in the middle. I don't think they're crisp like blues. I don't think browns feel crisp or tactile at all so I can't answer that myself. Hopefully someone with a Topre board besides metalliqaz can comment as well. Not that you're not awesome metalliqaz :D

Offline Sai

« Reply #699 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:52:59 »
CPTBadAss, this is slowly turning into what you don't wish for.  :p
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2