Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3505032 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #700 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 21:54:37 »
CPTBadAss, this is slowly turning into what you don't wish for.  :p

I know. And I'm not thrilled.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #701 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 22:20:03 »
anyone know where i might be able to get some connectors for plugging into the mobo headers for power and reset switch with pins unwired?

i know not a keyboard question but will be if i can get this mod done

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline babyhands

« Reply #702 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 22:28:10 »
I feel like its not THAT subjective :P, are they tactile? are they crisp feeling like blues or browns? Or are they different? I mean i am not here to start an argument, just wanted to see what they feel like because "high quality" rubber dome doesnt really mean much to me, and they are so expensive i won't get to try one unless i buy one.

To me they feel like they're rubber domes that have an actuation/bump in the middle. I don't think they're crisp like blues. I don't think browns feel crisp or tactile at all so I can't answer that myself. Hopefully someone with a Topre board besides metalliqaz can comment as well. Not that you're not awesome metalliqaz :D
the only tactile boards i have felt are blue and brown, so i cant compare brown to clears or anything like that, so i guess from my limited switch testing they feel crisp :D. And i guess i will stay away from topres for a while then, i really wanna get my hands on some ergo clears 

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #703 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 22:29:16 »
i really wanna get my hands on some ergo clears

Do it!! :)

Offline Larken

« Reply #704 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 22:53:02 »
ergoclears really aren't suited for gaming, especially for those games where keys have to be held down. the extra tactility is great for typing, where keys are struck, but not for keys that are held down, as there's a moment where the bump on the upstroke just causes this jammed feeling for a split second. this holds even for lubed ergoclears, especially if you're on 55g springs.

on my boards, I ended up switching out the ctrl shift mods for brown stems and red stems. imo, ergo clears remain the best choice for typing. gamers should stick to browns.

if you're adamant about ergoclears, the 62g variant doesn't suffer from the same problem, especially if those springs come from originative. those springs, while supposed to be only slightly heavier than the default cherry mx 45g springs, are actually alot heavier than I expected, and wouldn't have the large 'stuck' bump that the 55gs have. tactility is of course, reduced in comparison.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #705 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 23:21:41 »
Well the topre appreciation thread gave me no help, so I am going to ask this here:
Hey guys, I really didn't feel like reading through 12 pages, nor did I think it was acceptable to start a new thread when this exists:
I am a gamer, mostly sc2 (fairly high level, and only getting better) and dota. How are topre's for gaming? I first was interested in mechanical keyboards for the NKRO, because when playing mmo's my old keyboard wouldn't be able to register all of the buttons i was pressing. Any who, I am assuming topre's don't have NKRO? I guess it isn't that big of a deal because now that I play sc2 mainly I don't really need it, but this still stands, how do you guys feel they are for gaming? Also, maybe its just me, but in the pictures the f keys look kinda far away from the number row. As my username suggests, I do have small hands, and like my keybinds as close together as possible, so are the f keys really farther away than normal keyboards (like the ducky TKL i am typing on right now), or is it just the pictures? Also, people say these boards feel like a high quality rubber dome, but that just doesn't make sense to me. The reason I like my cherry browns and blues so much is because they are almost crispy, they almost feel magnetic if that makes sense? Rubber domes are the opposite, and I am hoping Topres aren't like rubber domes, but instead they have a super crisp, tactile, feel like browns and blues?

How does this give you no help? You just don't like my answer? You never posted any response...

Also, people say these boards feel like a high quality rubber dome, but that just doesn't make sense to me. The reason I like my cherry browns and blues so much is because they are almost crispy, they almost feel magnetic if that makes sense? Rubber domes are the opposite, and I am hoping Topres aren't like rubber domes, but instead they have a super crisp, tactile, feel like browns and blues?

They say that, because it's true. Hope all you want. If you don't want to feel like you are typing on the best quality, smoothest feeling rubber dome you ever tried, don't get a Topre. The rubber dome, er cup, is what gives a Topre switch its tactile feeling and all of its mechanical action. The coiled spring is only there to provide capacitance for the electrical circuit.

I'm not hating!

You could give Topre a try. You might like it. You might even love it. You probably won't hate it. But it doesn't feel anything at all like a Cherry MX switch, brown or otherwise.

I now return you to the Topre worshippers club. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline F u r u y á

« Reply #706 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 04:08:30 »
ergoclears really aren't suited for gaming, especially for those games where keys have to be held down. the extra tactility is great for typing, where keys are struck, but not for keys that are held down, as there's a moment where the bump on the upstroke just causes this jammed feeling for a split second. this holds even for lubed ergoclears, especially if you're on 55g springs.
I call that upstroke hysteresis. Since I tried only one single key (didn't bothered to mod the whole keyoard after experiencing that), I can't really judge ergoclears, but I'd say they simply sucks for any application that requires fast double tapping (gaming, specially RTS; typing; etc). Didn't know that they have this issue even after lubing!

are the f keys really farther away than normal keyboards (like the ducky TKL i am typing on right now), or is it just the pictures?
Still waiting for an answer to this question. Nobody answers your questions :P
(looking at some pictures, they don't really seem farther away than a standard TKL layout)
Filco 91 | Filco 87* | Filco 105 | PLU 87 | PLU 87 | Cherry 120 | Cherry 120

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #707 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 08:36:12 »
are the f keys really farther away than normal keyboards (like the ducky TKL i am typing on right now), or is it just the pictures?
Still waiting for an answer to this question. Nobody answers your questions :P
(looking at some pictures, they don't really seem farther away than a standard TKL layout)
[/quote]

I can confirm the distance tomorrow but they look to the the standard distance away like my Filco.

Offline le0rgg

« Reply #708 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 11:31:19 »
KBT Race is good for FPS?

i'm looking my first keyboard and I like TKL style..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #709 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 11:35:59 »
KBT Race is good for FPS?

i'm looking my first keyboard and I like TKL style..

KBT Race is considered a 75% board, not TKL. It has the Function row closer to the number row. Compare this picture (75% board) to this picture (TKL board).

In terms of being "good" for FPS? I think you could be good with rubber dome board. Picking a switch and layout is very subjective and personal to each person. There are professional StarCraft 2 players (My preferred game, I know little about FPS) who play on QT-35 boards, which are cheapo rubber dome boards. I hesitate to give an answer since there's a million different opinions on this. You're the only person that will type on your keyboard so you're the only person that can figure out if you like a board or not.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 11:38:21 by CPTBadAss »

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #710 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:41:06 »
I feel like its not THAT subjective :P, are they tactile? are they crisp feeling like blues or browns? Or are they different? I mean i am not here to start an argument, just wanted to see what they feel like because "high quality" rubber dome doesnt really mean much to me, and they are so expensive i won't get to try one unless i buy one.

At least if you buy one and don't like it you can sell it for at least 90% of what you bought it for.

But to answer your question, it IS totally subjective. To me, 55g Topres are totally crisp and tactile, but I know people who think they're mushy. They have a softer feel than any Cherry switch, since Cherry switches involve moving hard plastic and springs, no rubber involved.

If you're curious, save up the money and buy one. Even if you don't like it, at the end of the day you'll only be out something like $20 tops if you decide to sell it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:42:43 by daerid »

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #711 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 12:49:40 »
Does the plate in the KMAC 1 allow for easy spring/stem switching?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #712 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:21:27 »

No. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #713 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:26:41 »

No. :)
As a matter of fact, I believe there isn't any KMAC family members that support this.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #714 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:31:09 »
I thought so, just double checking.

LZ's have the plate that allows this right?

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #715 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 13:31:19 »
Perhaps Halvy's KMAC plate. :))
Yes, LZ plates sometimes have this ability, depends upon the board (and plate, consequently).

Offline Capitalistix

• Cherry MX Green Disciple
    • Uncanny Electronics
« Reply #716 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:04:26 »
Yes, LZ plates sometimes have this ability, depends upon the board (and plate, consequently).

Hey guys, does anyone know if the typenow solid has plate moutned switches? Ive heard these are the easiest to change? As opposed to pcb mount? Perhaps if someone could point me to a switch swapping tutorial? The ones I've found through the youtubes kinda suck...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #717 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:05:27 »
It does have plate-mounted switches. But plate-mounted are not easier to swap than PCB mount, unless the plate was designed for it. And I don't believe the TNS was designed for it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #718 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:09:27 »

Hey guys, does anyone know if the typenow solid has plate moutned switches? Ive heard these are the easiest to change? As opposed to pcb mount? Perhaps if someone could point me to a switch swapping tutorial? The ones I've found through the youtubes kinda suck...

To first answer your question, the TypeNow Solid does indeed have plate mounted switches. Orange metal plate inside a black anodized aluminum case.

However, swapping stems and springs is much easier with PCB mounted switches versus plate mounted switches. Unless the plate has "easy opening" switch holes, which the TNS does not. You would have to desolder all the switches from the PCB to remove the plate, in order to open the switches.

Here is WFD's excellent tutorial video:

in memoriam

Offline babyhands

« Reply #719 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 16:33:02 »
@jdcarpe sorry man i must not have seen your post! Yeah, I think I will stick with cherry switches for now. I kinda want my board with browns back :(, but alas, i need to sell my two boards first haha, im too stingy :P

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #720 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 09:08:23 »
TypeNow Solid is just a Leopold FC200 in a metal casing.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #721 on: Sat, 13 April 2013, 09:09:47 »
TypeNow Solid is just a Leopold FC200 in a metal casing.

It feels like the browns in it were lubed. Doesn't feel like other browns I have.

in memoriam

Offline dadgh

« Reply #722 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:36:30 »
Q: I'm looking to purchase my second mechanical keyboard and have decided on this criteria:
  • TKL
  • MX Blacks
  • Costar stabilizer
  • Detachable USB cable
  • Little to no branding
  • Stock keycaps don't matter
  • Black or White case
  • $200 budget

Been looking at Leopolds, Filcos, and QFRs but none of these (from what I've found) offer exactly what I'm looking for. Is there something I'm missing? What's my best chance of getting all of these options?

Thanks in advance!

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #723 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 14:59:47 »
Quickfire Rapids should work for you. They are TKL, have MX Blacks, are costar, h ave detachable cables, only have branding on the back of the keyboard, and are black, and they are DEFINITELY less than $200.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #724 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:17:37 »
CM quickfire rapid. It fits all those criteria you listed, for ~$80. Leopold might fill all those points, but I'm not sure if it comes in mx black.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #725 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 15:26:58 »
Leo fits everything but the Costar stabs.  You may also want to consider WASDv2 (when it comes out) and Ducky's line

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #726 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 17:50:23 »
Will I ever be able to stick a julysicle on my keyboard?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #727 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 17:51:55 »

No, I think if you ever get one, it'll need to come over to me for some "testing". :P

Offline dadgh

« Reply #728 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 19:48:09 »
Quickfire Rapids should work for you. They are TKL, have MX Blacks, are costar, h ave detachable cables, only have branding on the back of the keyboard, and are black, and they are DEFINITELY less than $200.

I've been unable to locate any retailer selling the Black case QFR with MX Blacks. Only finding reds and greens.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #729 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 20:07:03 »

I've been unable to locate any retailer selling the Black case QFR with MX Blacks. Only finding reds and greens.

You could also do what I did, buy a black with gray case and green with black case and swap the cases, sell the one you don't want and still be under budget.  Also, I do know that CM is selling black cases for the QFR line separate as well, but I don't know how to get one.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #730 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 20:08:15 »
Don't forget that reds and blacks are the same feel, blacks just have stiffer spring
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #731 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 20:17:09 »

If you're OK with the old unbranded cases, MechanicalKeyboards.com has a ton of them

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #732 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 20:29:05 »
Is there away to stop following a thread you have replied in? 

Unrelated question...  Any tips to modding my switch housing so I can still swap springs and such without desoldering LEDs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #733 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 20:51:01 »

Not sure. This has been asked a bunch of times and I still never found an answer. And I'm still bad at mods so I don't know the answer. Hopefully someone else pops in to help. Sorry I havent been able to hunt down info for you melvang

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #734 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:20:06 »
Unrelated question...  Any tips to modding my switch housing so I can still swap springs and such without desoldering LEDs?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #735 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:21:40 »

If it's not in your setting options, maybe suggest that in the forum feedback and suggestions thread. Or perhaps the forum bugs thread too.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #736 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 21:42:25 »

No, I think if you ever get one, it'll need to come over to me for some "testing". :P

if i get one, i swear you may have a look

just a look

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #737 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 22:37:03 »

WFD for the win!! Thanks for the info bomb!!

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #738 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 23:22:38 »
Which Android phones have the best battery life?

Does that come anywhere near iPhones? Last I had android I had a HTC Incredible which had bad battery life.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #739 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 23:27:21 »
Which Android phones have the best battery life?

Does that come anywhere near iPhones? Last I had android I had a HTC Incredible which had bad battery life.

I feel like there's a joke to be made here, but anyways...

Droid razr maxx hd(better)
Galaxy note 2(better)
Galaxy s3  (same as iphone)

And a couple others that I can't think of.  The GS4 should have better life as well, but it's not released yet.

Offline clakdale661

« Reply #740 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:22:51 »
Where can I find some mx green switches? I've seen some people refer to 7bit on another site, but it looks like he's international. Surely, there has to be another source of mx green switches somewhere.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #741 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:39:14 »
Where can I find some mx green switches? I've seen some people refer to 7bit on another site, but it looks like he's international. Surely, there has to be another source of mx green switches somewhere.

Not really, unless you want to buy a board just to harvest switches out of.  You can get an approximation of greens by combining blue stems with black springs (by buying both switches and also having ghetto reds, too and that can be accomplished easily enough through mouser) or blue stems and the heaviest of the springs sherryton sells if you're lucky enough for the transaction to go through.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #742 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:42:57 »
Well I am desoldering the LEDs on my orbweaver so I can change the LED color and swap the blues for clears.  I have come to the conclusion that desoldering LEDs with a radio shack desoldering iron sucks.  Any tips until I can get a solder sucker?  I have tried adding solder to the stubborn ones but it is still pretty brutal.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #743 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:47:28 »
Well I am desoldering the LEDs on my orbweaver so I can change the LED color and swap the blues for clears.  I have come to the conclusion that desoldering LEDs with a radio shack desoldering iron sucks.  Any tips until I can get a solder sucker?  I have tried adding solder to the stubborn ones but it is still pretty brutal.

It's just stupid brutal with that piece.  The only luck I had was letting it set and get as hot as it would get before starting, move the tip around to ensure contact with all the cold solder, wait until I saw metal squish from under the iron and have a small pick tool to gently pry under the LED as the solder got malleable.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #744 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:51:49 »
I would say to get some solder braid. If you don't have any, you can make some out of wire you have lying around. I have done this and it's much easier with actual desoldering braid, but my quick and dirty solution worked. I stripped some stranded copper hookup wire I had lying around, and it absorbed the solder

Depending on the LED in question, you can add a ton of solder to it and heat up both pads at once.

finally, if you can get a good grip on the component,  you might be able to "rock" it out be heating one pad, pulling to tone side, etc.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #745 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 08:22:52 »
Q: I'm looking to purchase my second mechanical keyboard and have decided on this criteria:
  • TKL
  • MX Blacks
  • Costar stabilizer
  • Detachable USB cable
  • Little to no branding
  • Stock keycaps don't matter
  • Black or White case
  • $200 budget

Been looking at Leopolds, Filcos, and QFRs but none of these (from what I've found) offer exactly what I'm looking for. Is there something I'm missing? What's my best chance of getting all of these options?

Thanks in advance!

CM Rapid, then if you want a black casebody instead of gunmetal you can buy casebody only from CM store. Otherwise perhaps a Keycool?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #746 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 08:25:22 »

Not really, unless you want to buy a board just to harvest switches out of.  You can get an approximation of greens by combining blue stems with black springs (by buying both switches and also having ghetto reds, too and that can be accomplished easily enough through mouser) or blue stems and the heaviest of the springs sherryton sells if you're lucky enough for the transaction to go through.

You could also get a QFR with greens. I know MechanicalKeyboards.com still has them in stock. Their warehouse has a ton of them. Unbranded too.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #747 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 10:28:17 »
finally managed to get the LED's out of my Orbweaver and got the switches swapped out.  Went with Reds on the WASD and clears everywhere else and I must say the feel for a gaming keypad is AMAZING.

Just a big thank you for all the help with getting this done and I'm sure the wife will be very pleased with it as well as she couldn't stand the noise of the blues on my WASD. 

Melvang

Offline Permeability

« Reply #748 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 12:53:58 »
I want to buy some replacement spacebars from SP for the Klaxon set but not sure which family/unit size it is. Is it DCS/6.2 unit?
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #749 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 13:02:57 »
I want to buy some replacement spacebars from SP for the Klaxon set but not sure which family/unit size it is. Is it DCS/6.2 unit?

Believe the sizes offered were 6.25x and 7x. I think you have the correct profile as well.

finally managed to get the LED's out of my Orbweaver and got the switches swapped out.  Went with Reds on the WASD and clears everywhere else and I must say the feel for a gaming keypad is AMAZING.

Just a big thank you for all the help with getting this done and I'm sure the wife will be very pleased with it as well as she couldn't stand the noise of the blues on my WASD. 

Melvang

Pics or it didn't happen! :D And I'm glad you got your help