Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3501092 times)

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #950 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 10:14:12 »
I'm sure this has been asked 100 times before...

Why do most GHers prefer thick PBT? Do regular PBT caps break? Are you guys wearing through the thin PBT?

I understand thick probably feels a little more solid and sounds different. Are these the only reasons why?

Does anyone prefer thin PBT?
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline gulu

« Reply #951 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 10:17:38 »

If this is your first mechanical keyboard, I'd recommend getting the QFR so you get a taste of what the boards are like without spending too much. QFRs are a really good value.

i have the old blackwidow expert with blues (was okay but probably because i played rts heavily the number1 key above Q now tends to feel abit mushy and less crispy click, yeah well just razer i guess lol ), now im hunting for reds. i think i've decided to go for the brandless quickfire rapid, put some o rings and change it to blank side printed pbt caps in the future, really thx for the advices ^^

Offline phx

« Reply #952 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 10:31:29 »

Why do most GHers prefer thick PBT? Do regular PBT caps break? Are you guys wearing through the thin PBT?

I understand thick probably feels a little more solid and sounds different. Are these the only reasons why?

never tried thin PBTs but I think you assumption is correct, they feel more solid and sound better. I've had a set of thick ABS caps from China, they just felt so much better than my other ABS caps from WASDKeyboard or Groupbuys. PBT is already tough by itself so I dont think they break, even if you use your keyboard as a weapon.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #953 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 14:12:58 »

It changes how the caps feel when you type on them. I also enjoy "Thick" ABS or doubleshots. But honestly? I dont even mind the thin ABS.

Like many things keyboard-related, this is personal and subjective. Ask me or anyone else again tomorrow and you might get different answers.

I'm starting a Tour of different switches and cap material types. The thread in the Interest Check section is called "Keycap Test Tour". If youre CONUS, sign up and make your own opinion.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #954 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 14:56:21 »
It changes how the caps feel when you type on them. I also enjoy "Thick" ABS or doubleshots. But honestly? I dont even mind the thin ABS.

Like many things keyboard-related, this is personal and subjective. Ask me or anyone else again tomorrow and you might get different answers.

I'm starting a Tour of different switches and cap material types. The thread in the Interest Check section is called "Keycap Test Tour". If youre CONUS, sign up and make your own opinion.

It's also because we don't want our caps to get shiny :)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #955 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 14:58:34 »
Here's my simple question:

What do I want to get for lunch?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #956 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 14:59:39 »

It's also because we don't want our caps to get shiny :)

Embrace the shine!!

You want to skip lunch and put the money towards Bunny's Auction for Cherry Legends or buying more GH Cherry Fundraiser Backspaces from TechKeys.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #957 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:00:12 »
$225 isn't enough?

Offline Lunartuna

• Good bye money!
« Reply #958 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:01:19 »

Go for a Calzone.
Shine 2 TKL - Choc Mini

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #959 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:02:17 »

Go for a Calzone.

Curry noodles with veggies and tofu.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #960 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:07:45 »
$225 isn't enough?

I don't know. Does that satisfy KingKlaxon's daily sacrifice criteria? Or maybe ask yourself, what would the GirlShark do?

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #961 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:10:21 »
$225 isn't enough?

I don't know. Does that satisfy KingKlaxon's daily sacrifice criteria? Or maybe ask yourself, what would the GirlShark do?

I don't believe in the GirlShark.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #962 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 15:11:07 »
$225 isn't enough?

I don't believe in the GirlShark.

What about just the first part then?

Offline babyhands

« Reply #963 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 16:08:23 »
To my understanding, there are plate mounted boards and PCB mounted boards? What are the difference between the two? I hear about people wanting to get new plates for their boards (i think KBT pures or something), why do people want to do this?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #964 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 16:17:00 »
To my understanding, there are plate mounted boards and PCB mounted boards? What are the difference between the two? I hear about people wanting to get new plates for their boards (i think KBT pures or something), why do people want to do this?

With plate mounted you slide the switches into a cutout on a plate, mounting the switches to that metal plate, then you solder the switch connections to the PCB.  PCB mounted has stabilizers that drop into the PCB and you solder the switch to the PCB.  PCB mounted switches are less stable because of the mounting system.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #965 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 17:05:03 »
Best cheap lube for switches? I have some Teflon silicone lube that I used, but I've seen some people say that you should have some oil/grease combo lube for the stems.  Will the Teflon silicone lube be good enough or is there something else I should use that's cheap and affordable?  I'll be using it in Reds that I'm swapping in Clear springs on.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #966 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 17:25:45 »
Best cheap lube for switches? I have some Teflon silicone lube that I used, but I've seen some people say that you should have some oil/grease combo lube for the stems.  Will the Teflon silicone lube be good enough or is there something else I should use that's cheap and affordable?  I'll be using it in Reds that I'm swapping in Clear springs on.

The best lube for stems is a 1:1 mixture of DuPont Krytox GPL 205 grease and 103 oil. Why didn't you get in on my GB, huh?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #967 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 18:04:37 »

The best lube for stems is a 1:1 mixture of DuPont Krytox GPL 205 grease and 103 oil. Why didn't you get in on my GB, huh?

The last lube GB I saw was from before I joined.  The GPL 205 seems pretty easy to find and, while not the cheapest, doesn't seem too poorly priced.  More than I'd prefer to spend, but it is what it is.  The 103 seems to be MIA.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2013, 18:07:52 by nubbinator »

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #968 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 18:10:16 »

Hey man, that's just, like, your opinion, man

I like Superlube
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #969 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 18:35:19 »

The last lube GB I saw was from before I joined.  The GPL 205 seems pretty easy to find and, while not the cheapest, doesn't seem too poorly priced.  More than I'd prefer to spend, but it is what it is.  The 103 seems to be MIA.

Which is exactly why I made a GB for the 103. Price was $10 for a 1/2 oz. (14g) bottle, plus shipping. I may have a bottle available after the GB orders ship. Let me know if you're interested.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #970 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 19:37:05 »

Hey man, that's just, like, your opinion, man

I like Superlube

This stuff?  Its price is certainly more appealing.  Any reason you prefer that to the other?

Which is exactly why I made a GB for the 103. Price was $10 for a 1/2 oz. (14g) bottle, plus shipping. I may have a bottle available after the GB orders ship. Let me know if you're interested.

If you do have any left over, I would probably be interested.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #971 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:16:33 »
What is IRC?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #972 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:21:30 »
What is IRC?

are you serious? hm... damn.. i must be old... wait... doesn't geekhack have an irc?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #973 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:30:53 »
What is IRC?

Are you serious or trolling?

Internet relay chat or something like that it's old school

Mirc was my client of choice back in the day

Dang I got ninja'd
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:33:10 by ray4jc »

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #974 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:32:44 »
Those are clicky, right?

How high is the actuation on those?

Tactile black Alps aren't Clicky. But the Focus has Clicky White Alps. The actuation is at the top, it's almost instantaneous.

Oh yuck. I really feel like I wouldn't enjoy that.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #975 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:48:37 »
What is IRC?

are you serious? hm... damn.. i must be old... wait... doesn't geekhack have an irc?

Serious.

What is IRC?

Are you serious or trolling?

Internet relay chat or something like that it's old school

Mirc was my client of choice back in the day

Dang I got ninja'd

Serious, never heard of it.

Gupgup

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #976 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:57:28 »
I'm on my phone so I can't give you a proper answer but IRC is at its base an old school chat protocol and you can transfer files etc

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:06:13 by ray4jc »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #977 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:58:38 »
I'm on my phone so I can't give you a proper answer but IRC is at its base an old school chart protocol and you can transfer files etc

Yep. Internet Relay Chat.

What is IRC?

You should join us sometime. Good times just chatting...not necessarily about keyboards. RogueR and I somehow always end up talking about Monitors...
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #978 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 20:59:17 »
I'm on my phone so I can't give you a proper answer but IRC is at its base an old school chart protocol and you can transfer files etc

Alright cool, thanks :D

What is IRC?

You should join us sometime. Good times just chatting...not necessarily about keyboards. RogueR and I somehow always end up talking about Monitors...

I'm on right now, and it is pretty cool!

Gupgup

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #979 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 21:00:24 »

Alright cool, thanks :D

What is IRC?

I'm on right now, and it is pretty cool!

Gupgup

I'll join it a bit.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #980 on: Tue, 23 April 2013, 22:15:00 »
If you do have any left over, I would probably be interested.

I'll let you know after I ship all the orders. :)

Also, I don't want to take any credit for the 103 GB idea. It was Jocelyn's baby at first. I just took over for the second round.

in memoriam

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #981 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 06:55:53 »
What's the state of play with the Miami set? Will it ever get made?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #982 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 07:16:09 »
Is it possible to do double shot PBT?  And/or has anyone attempted it?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #983 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 07:22:12 »
Where can I buy pcb-mount cherry stabilizers?  Looking at a board that has them removed...
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #984 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 07:32:41 »

The last Miami GB didnt meet the MOQ needed from SP. I heard some members saying they'd like to start an IC and rerun the GB again. Rumor is it might be done with GMK. But if we get the Cherry Replica Legends at SP, I could see a buy going there.

Is it possible to do double shot PBT?  And/or has anyone attempted it?

Yes, the latest Wario cap is double shot PBT and then dye-subbed to get the 3 colors. There have been other PBT doubleshot caps but the issue is that PBT shrinks a lot and causes issues in production. Whatever specialty processes that are needed to control the shrink causes the price to increase and that's why so few doubleshot PBT caps exist.

Where can I buy pcb-mount cherry stabilizers?  Looking at a board that has them removed...

Jdcarpe told me you can get them at Mouser (a website)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #985 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:28:00 »

From what I've seen over the last few months, yes. I will make sure of it.
Preferably from GMK, but with the high MOQ, perhaps when sp has cherry legends. And all these constant GBs die down.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #986 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:39:47 »
Is there a thread somewhere that explains spacebar sizing? For example when would I need a 6.2x or 7x spacebar?

I'm looking at filling out the order form for the Toxic GB and I was thinking of just getting one of everything but don't really know if that is neccesary....

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #987 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:53:45 »
Borrowed this image from mashby. This checker can be bought at TechKeys.com and I think it does a good job of explaining spacebars:

Depending on what layout you want will determine what spacebar you want. Most boards will have a 1.25x modifiers for the bottom row. Some customs and older boards will have 1.5x modifiers for the bottom row. Check out the pics in this link to see the difference between the two modifier/spacebar setups.

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #988 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:54:16 »
There are not many left!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #989 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:18:34 »
There are not many left!

I think its time I go check out techkeys and buy something!  :eek:  Edit: So that escalated quickly was going to just buy the key sheet but got a little carried away..... :p

And thanks CPT, now off to study key sizes.....
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:40:59 by ray4jc »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #990 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:21:38 »
Feel free to post more questions about the layouts and spacebars or PM me ^__^
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:30:51 by CPTBadAss »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #991 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:47:07 »
I've been of the mind that one should buy every key size available in a buy. You never know when you might find a really good deal on some keyboard, and it has very bad condition or missing keycaps. In most cases you will be covered.

I would like to revist Miami, but I am really not sure there will be the numbers required to get it made. I have some remix idea to do maybe have the flamingo and aquamarine legends on a white base. Maybe it will be more interest if it is toned down a bit?
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:49:07 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #992 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:07:02 »
I've been of the mind that one should buy every key size available in a buy. You never know when you might find a really good deal on some keyboard, and it has very bad condition or missing keycaps. In most cases you will be covered.

I would like to revist Miami, but I am really not sure there will be the numbers required to get it made. I have some remix idea to do maybe have the flamingo and aquamarine legends on a white base. Maybe it will be more interest if it is toned down a bit?

Aquamarine on white sounds an awful lot like Raindrop...  Just sayin'.   ;D

But in all seriousness, I retract what I said earlier about the Gawd-awful Miami color scheme.  On a complete board it doesn't look half bad!  I was thinking of the various all-white or blue keyboards I've seen  posted lately, modded Filcos and CM QFRs, the Miami set would look fantastic with a case like that.

19692-0

Stick to your guns, make the Miami set a reality!  With ISO and 104/5-key options too, please!   ;)

Offline tribade

« Reply #993 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:09:36 »
Hi guys, I don't know whether this has been answered before, but I was wondering whether there was an easy-ish way to go about getting my hands on a KMAC Mini.  I'm not a fan of the button layout on the Happy, and the 2 isn't my style, and those are the only two I've seen for sale anywhere (and now nowhere since Sherryton's site is currently down  :( )  I don't really know much about to the boards to be honest, but they are certainly beautiful!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #994 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:12:39 »
Maybe you can sweet talk an order on the closed GH60 buy?

Offline tribade

« Reply #995 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:24:51 »
Maybe you can sweet talk an order on the closed GH60 buy?

Were you replying to me?  I thought the GH60 buy was a custom GH 60% PCB, though, not KMAC boards.  I'm sure I could have misread it though.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #996 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:26:52 »
Yes it is a custom, but it will have everything on level of Korean stuff if you want to pay for it and it will be a lot easier to get a hold of. There are several style of case in the works to accompany the PCB groupbuy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:28:30 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline tribade

« Reply #997 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:34:41 »
Yes it is a custom, but it will have everything on level of KMAC mini if you want to pay for it and it will be a lot easier to get a hold of. There are several style of case in the works to accompany the PCB groupbuy.

Ah thanks for your help!  I see what you mean now.  The only problem I foresee with the GH60 is the positioning of the buttons.  I don't see any layouts that have a similar arrow key layout, which is what I was hoping for as well as the F keys off to the side of the normal 60%.  I use a HHKB now, and the reason I was so interested in the mini was because of its layout, and it's reputation as being a really fantastic board.  Do they do group buys of KMAC boards every once in a while as well?  That seems to be the most surefire way of getting one.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #998 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:49:19 »

NO. MIAMI OR DIE. What is this..."toned down" nonsense. Flamingo on Aqua NAO! :D

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #999 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 11:49:50 »

Aquamarine on white sounds an awful lot like Raindrop...  Just sayin'.   ;D

But in all seriousness, I retract what I said earlier about the Gawd-awful Miami color scheme.  On a complete board it doesn't look half bad!  I was thinking of the various all-white or blue keyboards I've seen  posted lately, modded Filcos and CM QFRs, the Miami set would look fantastic with a case like that.

(Attachment Link)

Stick to your guns, make the Miami set a reality!  With ISO and 104/5-key options too, please!   ;)

I'd love Miami, but I'm not sure how it would look on my keyboard there.