Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3496987 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1050 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 12:18:22 »
well i was wondering cause i have a small tackle box (made in the USA) but it is filling up very fast

There's a thread about this but I can't seem to remember the title. Maybe like keycap boxes or something. Hm...well regardless. I'll take pics and find that thread later. For now, I'll say that I get all my stuff from the Container Store.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1051 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:09:06 »
What profile are the wasd textured. Caps?
SmallFry! <3

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1052 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:09:27 »
ok having a minor issue with installing my Sanctuary set.  I pulled the white inserts out of the stock ABS black blanks that came with my Das (costar) and they won't stay in the slots for them on the new keys.  Are the doubleshot ABS Sanctuary keys meant for cherry stabilizers?

Comments or suggestions more than welcome here.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1053 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:14:18 »
ok having a minor issue with installing my Sanctuary set.  I pulled the white inserts out of the stock ABS black blanks that came with my Das (costar) and they won't stay in the slots for them on the new keys.  Are the doubleshot ABS Sanctuary keys meant for cherry stabilizers?

Comments or suggestions more than welcome here.

Melvang

Common problem with SP caps and Costar stabilizers. Take a bit of plastic from like a plastic bag. Cut little squares out. Cover the hole, then shove the insert into the hole. The plastic will get jammed inside and cause the insert to fit.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1054 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:21:53 »
sounds good thanx CPTBadAss.  My next step was going to be superglue.  I have to say the texture on this set is AMAZING

Melvang

PS Pics to follow in the http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.0 thread.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1055 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:23:43 »
sounds good thanx CPTBadAss.  My next step was going to be superglue.  I have to say the texture on this set is AMAZING

Melvang

PS Pics to follow in the http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33155.0 thread.

I think the insert loose-ness is an issue with the SP molds but the plastic bag trick works well so it's not that big a deal IMO. Looking forward to your pics!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1056 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:29:48 »
Or you could do like I do:

1. hook stabilizers into stabilizer bar
2.  put in the little stabilizer slot things
3. put cap on all dat shiz.

Offline HID45

« Reply #1057 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:50:51 »
Hi,

Noob question here...

I just got myself a nice Ducky Shine (not 2, but the original, without light memory etc). Mine's with black switches. I've been thinking that reds for arrows and maybe blues for numpad would be nice. Switches are PCB mounted right? So can I just pop the switches out of the board and replace them with other ones? Or is there going to be soldering involved (in which case I'm just dropping the project. Me and solder don't match, it's been tested and proved)?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1058 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:52:13 »
Hi,

Noob question here...

I just got myself a nice Ducky Shine (not 2, but the original, without light memory etc). Mine's with black switches. I've been thinking that reds for arrows and maybe blues for numpad would be nice. Switches are PCB mounted right? So can I just pop the switches out of the board and replace them with other ones? Or is there going to be soldering involved (in which case I'm just dropping the project. Me and solder don't match, it's been tested and proved)?

Pretty sure the Ducky is plate mounted, which means desoldering the switch. But you also have to desolder the LED in any case! :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1059 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:55:39 »
Hi,

Noob question here...

I think either way you'll need to desolder them. You need a specialty plate in order not to desolder switches. There are people you can contact to have soldering services done for you if you don't want to solder/desolder.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1060 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:58:42 »
Ok the plastic bag trick for the stab inserts worked like a charm but was not needed on the space bar.

Hi,

Noob question here...

I think either way you'll need to desolder them. You need a specialty plate in order not to desolder switches. There are people you can contact to have soldering services done for you if you don't want to solder/desolder.

While you are at it if you get a custom plate to facilitate easy switch removal for spring and stem swaps I would reccomend getting the switch housings modded to allow for that with LED's installed.  I didn't do it when I swapped the LED's and stems / springs in my Orbweaver and I am regretting it now.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1061 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:59:13 »
Anyone know when the CC's from the Green Clack Sale will be shipped?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1062 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:59:39 »

In the 4Grabs thread, he said that around 1/3 were shipped already and the rest will be done sometime next week.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #1063 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 13:59:55 »

In the 4Grabs thread, he said that around 1/3 were shipped already and the rest will be done sometime next week.

Good to hear

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1064 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:02:05 »
WASD caps are OEM profile. I have some Filco caps and WASD caps. Both in black. When I get home I'll take some comparison pics.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1065 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:16:55 »
Was there someone here that did capslock stem mods?  I was wanting to get my stepped capslock converted to a center stem if that is possible.  Is this even done?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1066 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:20:18 »
Was there someone here that did capslock stem mods?  I was wanting to get my stepped capslock converted to a center stem if that is possible.  Is this even done?

Yes, talk to Akimbo or try and find one in a Tsangan kit. I bought a white on black stepped center stem caps lock from TechKeys and mashby was selling one from his CCnG set in the classifieds.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #1067 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:23:46 »
WASD caps are OEM profile. I have some Filco caps and WASD caps. Both in black. When I get home I'll take some comparison pics.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1068 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:24:37 »
Thanks Cpt.  Obviously would be needing one for the Sanc set.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1069 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:26:24 »
For the Sanctuary set, you would need to get one modded. The ones on Techkeys are for more popular Cherry sets. It would be nice if these were included in more group buys.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1070 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:27:52 »
Or here's an idea that I might start an interest thread for if its possible: a stepped caps lock with two stems, one center and one off center. It may not be if one or the stems hits the switch housing on the way down, but I don't know the spacing.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1071 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:29:17 »
Thanks Cpt.  Obviously would be needing one for the Sanc set.

Definitely talk to Akimbo. He's a cool dude and he does those mods.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1072 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:30:01 »
just looked at mine and they are to close together one of the stems would hit the switch housing

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1073 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:31:10 »
Or here's an idea that I might start an interest thread for if its possible: a stepped caps lock with two stems, one center and one off center. It may not be if one or the stems hits the switch housing on the way down, but I don't know the spacing.

What about project scoops?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1074 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:31:40 »
Yeah, I thought that might be the case. Maybe a modular one, where it includes a separate stem that inserts into one of two holes under the cap?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1075 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:32:09 »
now that might be a possibility

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1076 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:32:58 »
You know, if I come up with a whole bunch of ICs and projects, people will be surprised when I finish one!

Offline speedkills

« Reply #1077 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:36:38 »
Are all cherry housings exactly the same besides being plate or pcb mount?  I want to make some ergo clears with blue and clear housings and I read that I should use clear stems with my blue springs, but it didn't say which housing to use.  Does that mean it doesn't matter?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1078 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:37:47 »
Are all cherry housings exactly the same besides being plate or pcb mount?  I want to make some ergo clears with blue and clear housings and I read that I should use clear stems with my blue springs, but it didn't say which housing to use.  Does that mean it doesn't matter?

Don't think it matters

You know, if I come up with a whole bunch of ICs and projects, people will be surprised when I finish one!

LOL

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1079 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:38:03 »
MX housings are the same. You can just open them, swap the spring and stem out, and pop them back together.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1080 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:39:01 »
Just get project scoops done. Just that ONE project. And everyone will love you. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1081 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:39:34 »
I like the idea of the modular stem for a caps lock.  I am thinking of a couple ways to do this but both would require custom molds and or 3d printing. 

1.  Have 4 small pins at the base of the stem on the cap.  These pins would snap into slots on the cap and just have 2 sets for the 2 positions.

2.  Have the stem be another insert itself that if you want center or off-set stem you just pull that piece out and rotate 180 and reinsert back into the stem.  That might require some tricky stuff though so the housing for the stem doesnt' hit the switch housing

the housing does not matter all the internals on all MX switches are the same the only differences are the stems and the springs just use the housings that are already mounted if pcb mount and which ever if you have to desolder for plate mount.

Melvang

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1082 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:43:14 »
Just get project scoops done. Just that ONE project. And everyone will love you. :)
I will try to follow up on it again. This week may be a bit slow, so I may have some time.

For the modular caps, maybe you and I should hop on IRC, melvang.We can throw ideas around. I don't think your second idea would work based solely on the shape of the cap being stepped.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1083 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:46:45 »
true would probably work on a non stepped cap though.  I would love to get on IRC with you and bounce some ideas but i have to say I am up WAY past my bed time with working 12 hour days for the next week and a half or so.  Plus its 7pm to 7 am.  I probably can't give you a reliable time of when i will be on this weekend but will be on monday morning after work.

Melvang out for the weekend

You guys are worse crack for me than Farcebook.  and even WoW.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1084 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 17:38:57 »
Oops, updated the wrong post. So here's a link to some of your questions Melvang.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #1085 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:17:45 »
I have a quick question that has bothered me for a while.

If you were to describe a Topre switch out of the cherry mx switches which one would they be most like?

Im decided on getting a 87u, but I was wondering if the keypress is too slow for gaming that I would need a seperate red or black keyboard for only gaming.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #1086 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:19:55 »

If you were to describe a Topre switch out of the cherry mx switches which one would they be most like?

Im decided on getting a 87u, but I was wondering if the keypress is too slow for gaming that I would need a seperate red or black keyboard for only gaming.

Not to start a flame war, but they feel like a more upscale/polished/well built rubber dome board.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1087 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:20:31 »
i want a topre keychain just to try the switch out

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #1088 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:23:04 »

Dell quietkeys are less expensive/easier to come by
Looking for CC's!

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1089 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:27:03 »

is that a different switch? or a topre? i have a CC i can't use because i don't have a topre board xD

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1090 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:34:10 »
Dell Quiet Keys are rubber dome boards but apparently they're like the Topre predecessor and feel a lot like Topres.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1091 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:35:52 »
ok thats what i thought. ill see if i can pick up a topre keychain at some point

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #1092 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:40:00 »
ok thats what i thought. ill see if i can pick up a topre keychain at some point

I bought 2 realforce keychains from feng, he may still have some.
Looking for CC's!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1093 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:40:33 »

Yeah, they are not like any Cherry switch at all, not even close. The switch feels like a rubber dome, because that's what it is. I'm not saying a Topre board is the same as a rubber dome board. And they call it a cup, instead of a dome.

But several people do use them for gaming. :)

is that a different switch? or a topre? i have a CC i can't use because i don't have a topre board xD

Just trade it for an MX CC?

in memoriam

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1094 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:42:12 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:50:01 by esoomenona »

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #1095 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:43:45 »

[/quote]

That's usually pretty hard to do. Maybe these new Leo's will saturate the market more.
Looking for CC's!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1096 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:44:19 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:50:19 by esoomenona »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1097 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:44:38 »

I bought 2 realforce keychains from feng, he may still have some.

ill look into it

yeah..think i'm going to do that really soon

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #1098 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:46:36 »
And they call it a cup, instead of a dome.
Oh? Are they full of liquid? Are they concave side up?

If you make a mistake, they squirt you in the eye. That's where the elitist mentality comes from. They dry ones think the're hot ****.
Looking for CC's!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1099 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 12:58:37 »

TT1 and I believe SKMC (professional SC2 players) played with Topre in competition if that means anything to you.