Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3505553 times)

Offline phx

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1200 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 21:45:16 »
Wanna paint my QFR cover, can I just spray paint it?

You'll need to completely sand off the rubberizer from the shell, get the plastic roughed up a little, then use a finer grit sandpaper on it to give the primer something to grab hold of, but not make the paint look uneven when it's dried.  For the primer, I'd recommend Montana Gold Plastic Primer (you should be able to find it cheaper locally, that's just so you know what you're looking for) since I know it works well and doesn't react with the plastic or their paint.  For the paint, I prefer Montana Gold since it's not too expensive, gets awesome even coverage, dries quickly, has great caps that give you good control, and looks good when all is said and done.  It's what I used for my Cyan painted QFR.  If you can't find Montana Gold, Krylon Fusion is supposed to be good.  I wasn't super impressed with it when I did some computer case modding though.  After that, just toss a clear coat on it and/or some clear PlastiDip.

awesome thanks! I'll give that a shot this weekend or something

still thinking about the color tho....
what cover goes well with CCnG or RA2? White/Beige?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1201 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 21:51:17 »
Is there a program that analyzes the way a person types to see if there might be some way to improve?

I saw something on Mouz.Illusion's (Pro-SC2 player) stream that showed what keys were being typed but I'm not sure what that program is called.

Whenever there is a ebay auction, koreans get to participate and buy them eventually in some cases.
Why is that?
I mean, spanish keyboards? german layouts? arabic layouts? what for.

I'm pretty sure eBay isn't region specific and ppl like to collect keyboards. Why not?

yes. although they are not a big country. I thought they had many collectors of mechanical keyboards because of starcraft or something.

It has nothing to do with Starcraft and everything to do with a love for technology and plenty of mech keyboard enthusiasts there.  In fact, there are plenty of Starcraft players who still use cheap $10 rubber dome keyboards.

Oh, that's a clarifying answer.

Many StarCraft 2 players swear by the QT-35; the cheap $10 rubber dome board common in South Korea.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1202 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 09:16:50 »
I collect different language layouts though I do not type in them for the most part. In some cases a certain colorway of keycap is only available from a particular keyboard. Sometimes those are only offered in a particular region.
So far I have key sets in US, US/RU, FR, CH, ES, DE, IT, GB. Out of those I only speak Russian and French, though refuse to use azerty for French typing. If it was ever made by Cherry in doubleshot or dyesub, I want it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 May 2013, 09:18:53 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1203 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 09:41:17 »
Is there a program that analyzes the way a person types to see if there might be some way to improve?

RSIguard is one that focuses on injury prevention.

Offline HID45

« Reply #1204 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 09:51:59 »
What's the best place to order Cherry MX switces inside EU?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1205 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 10:11:55 »

RSIguard is one that focuses on injury prevention.

Thanks will check this out  :cool:

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #1206 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 19:59:17 »
On a TKL or smaller keyboard, where does your right pinky rest while you're using the arrow keys? I typically use NumPad 0 for that purpose.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1207 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 20:00:37 »
My pinky is under the 0, sort of curled down.

Also: how does I custom title?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1208 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 20:50:13 »
On a TKL or smaller keyboard, where does your right pinky rest while you're using the arrow keys? I typically use NumPad 0 for that purpose.

Mine just gets held in the air.

Also: how does I custom title?

Ask missalaire but I think the mods have you grant you that.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1209 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 20:51:58 »
on the case

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1210 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 05:41:01 »
I will get a set of SP CCnGs gopefully, but I was wondering what kind of key caps should I try next. Afaik these are the SP-height ABS so I will still need to try Cherry height, and PBT plastic.
Not exactly sure but perhaps I should try stealth style so it forces me to learn to type a bit more.

Please post some recommendations! :) I know Imsto has some keycaps that are usually recommended quality, although I only found his Taobao shop and keycaps are also kinda expensive, if I calculated right a set would be like 90$. Is this normal price for these kind of caps?
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1211 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 05:49:18 »
I will get a set of SP CCnGs gopefully, but I was wondering what kind of key caps should I try next. Afaik these are the SP-height ABS so I will still need to try Cherry height, and PBT plastic.
Not exactly sure but perhaps I should try stealth style so it forces me to learn to type a bit more.

Please post some recommendations! :) I know Imsto has some keycaps that are usually recommended quality, although I only found his Taobao shop and keycaps are also kinda expensive, if I calculated right a set would be like 90$. Is this normal price for these kind of caps?

Most 104 keycap sets go for around $100. Only time they go for less is if you get in on a GB. But even then, the tenkey and tsangan kit will often bump the price up quite a bit since there is less demand for them.

Other keycap types include POM, Cherry doubleshots, thin PBT. And if you want to learn to touch type but are afraid to go full ninja/otaku/blank, then go for side printed caps.

Since you mentioned imsto cherry caps, I'd highly recommend those. I scored my TKL set for $55 so I got a really good deal.

And this can be a very subjective topic, not exactly a simple question but I'll bite and leave you a huge paragraph anyways :P

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #1212 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:32:26 »
Which vintage switches are the rarest and priced the highest or get crazy prices in ebay auctions?

Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1213 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:52:33 »
Which vintage switches are the rarest and priced the highest or get crazy prices in ebay auctions?

Pricing questions shouldn't be asked here. Please refer to the OP for a thread where you can ask that.

What's the best place to order Cherry MX switces inside EU?

For the MX White GB, CommunistWitchDr bought the Whites from RapidOnline. The link for that GB can be found here. I believe Mouser carries them too and I think they're based in the EU.

still thinking about the color tho....
what cover goes well with CCnG or RA2? White/Beige?

I like the contrast between Black and White. Klaxon on my Black Filco is hot. White would be great as well. You could also try Graphite or Grey. I think the FC700R Graphite color is really nice. Neutral but it's not black.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 07:00:54 by CPTBadAss »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1214 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 06:59:07 »
Probably hall effect.
* metalliqaz sticks tongue out at CPTBadAss

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1215 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 07:01:23 »
Probably hall effect.
* metalliqaz sticks tongue out at CPTBadAss

I heard it's HHKB lite, you little troll :P

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1216 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 07:45:50 »
Most 104 keycap sets go for around $100. Only time they go for less is if you get in on a GB. But even then, the tenkey and tsangan kit will often bump the price up quite a bit since there is less demand for them.

Other keycap types include POM, Cherry doubleshots, thin PBT. And if you want to learn to touch type but are afraid to go full ninja/otaku/blank, then go for side printed caps.

Since you mentioned imsto cherry caps, I'd highly recommend those. I scored my TKL set for $55 so I got a really good deal.

And this can be a very subjective topic, not exactly a simple question but I'll bite and leave you a huge paragraph anyways :P
Well I'll argue that it isn't too complicated either :) Just tips really.
I looked at WASD caps but those are just ABS laser printed or so, thus don't seem all that special. Cheap, on the other hand.
I'll probably look for the Cherry height keys, maybe PBT just to try those too. Side printed seems a good idea but limits choices somewhat. Blank is a bit hardcore, but cheapest "printing" option, and would truly make me learn to type fastest :)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #1217 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 07:48:16 »
would a 'Mini USB to PS/2 cable that actively adapts the signal to PS/2' Cable be bigger/thicker then a normal usb one?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1218 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:43:01 »
When wiping off a keyboard do you guys leave it plugged in or do you unplug it from the pc?

I was thinking just open notepad or something like that so all the key presses don't goof something up.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1219 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:43:46 »
When wiping off a keyboard do you guys leave it plugged in or do you unplug it from the pc?

I was thinking just open notepad or something like that so all the key presses don't goof something up.

I always unplug mine.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1220 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 10:47:40 »

I always unplug mine.

That's the only thing I'm not crazy about with this Ducky, its a pain to plug and unplug the connector in the keyboard.....of course I could always crawl behind the desk and unplug from the pc but I always have to wash my hands after being back their.  :confused:

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #1221 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:48:27 »
Can someone link to where I can buy Cherry MX white plate mounted switches in the US?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1222 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 11:56:37 »
For the MX White GB, CommunistWitchDr bought the Whites from RapidOnline. The link for that GB can be found here. I believe Mouser carries them too and I think they're based in the EU.

Last I looked, Mouser doesn't have them.  I know Rapid carries (carried?) them and Conrad has some in stock.

Can someone link to where I can buy Cherry MX white plate mounted switches in the US?

Nowhere.  I went looking and the only places that carry them are based in the UK or Europe.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1223 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 12:04:01 »

Not sure there is a source. That's why the MX White buy was sourced from the EU

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1224 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 12:16:09 »
Can anyone recommend a decent set of small screw drivers for taking things apart and just general use?

I will keep these in my desk at work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1225 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 12:17:56 »
Can anyone recommend a decent set of small screw drivers for taking things apart and just general use?

I just have a jeweler's set of screwdrivers I picked up at Harbor Freight for cheap. Nothing special but they work. And I also have a GearWrench MicroDriver set.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #1226 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:14:53 »

If you can afford them, a set by Wiha will last a lifetime (german made) and fit fully in the screws better than the chinese ones because they respect the iso regulations regarding the geometry of tip of the screwdriver strictly.

Small set 25 USD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiha-7-pc-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-26190-/310389197571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844a34b03

Full 51 SET...I won't say the price...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiha-51-Piece-Master-Technicians-Precision-Driver-Tool-Set-92191-German-Made-/161018668821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257d75e715
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:21:42 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #1227 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:38:24 »
Just go for the hard counter. Yes, honey, I bought all these boards but here, I bought you this piece of jewelry as well!

I could never get myself to buy 2 useless items, one after the other to make up for the uselessness of the first one...   1 for myself is already plenty :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1228 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:39:07 »

I just have a jeweler's set of screwdrivers I picked up at Harbor Freight for cheap. Nothing special but they work. And I also have a GearWrench MicroDriver set.

Yeah I've got a really cheap set now but they can't unscrew a screw that is very tight. I'm gonna check out the gear wrench set...

If you can afford them, a set by Wiha will last a lifetime (german made) and fit fully in the screws better than the chinese ones because they respect the iso regulations regarding the geometry of tip of the screwdriver strictly.

Small set 25 USD
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiha-7-pc-Precision-Screwdriver-Set-26190-/310389197571?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844a34b03

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wiha-51-Piece-Master-Technicians-Precision-Driver-Tool-Set-92191-German-Made-/161018668821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257d75e715

Yeah now that I think about it someone recommended these elsewhere once, I'm not seeing the value but if they fit better and last maybe so.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm considering these

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2757-Mechanics-Screwdriver-8-Piece/dp/B000NPXHPW/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1367519712&sr=8-7&keywords=screwdriver+set

of course if I wanted to be thorough I could go for this

http://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-2841-Electronic-Screwdriver-135-Piece/dp/B008HYVG6I/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1367519712&sr=8-5&keywords=screwdriver+set

Maybe I should just bring some from home.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:44:31 by ray4jc »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1229 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:40:10 »

Small set 25 USD

I believe this to be a waste of money..

Let's say you have PERFECT screwdrivers....

Do you also have PERFECT screws for it to make a difference?

I guarantee all the screws you'll ever see in the keyboard parts you'll ever buy are Chinese made.. and at the chinese price, they don't give a sh... about iso standards.

Offline alfa147x

« Reply #1230 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:51:07 »
With all the keyboards with custom cases where do they get their PCBs from?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1231 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:52:20 »

either closest home manufacturer or cheapest chinese manufacturer "shipped"

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #1232 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 13:55:04 »

Small set 25 USD

I guarantee all the screws you'll ever see in the keyboard parts you'll ever buy are Chinese made.. and at the chinese price, they don't give a sh... about iso standards.

I disagree, I have a collection of pakistani, taiwanese, chinese and so on drivers, specially precision ones that ****ed up some macbooks that I opened for instance, even using the exact recommended type of screwdriver for the task (phillips #00 or torx t6, and t8) and those screws got wasted, wasted. If you look close enough with magnification to the tip of the screwdriver after some use, it'll look skewed in all sort of directions, and yes manly powerjobs with giant screws won't get in the way, but precision and delicate stuff will if the alloy which build it is of bad quality. Ask around to your local jeweler to teach you one thing or two, if he feels comfortable opening a wrist watch with bad quality precision tools not out of a whim or pleasure, but because It'll cost him real bucks...
The cost of the screwdriver is nothing compared to ****ing up a system worth x10 x100 its price and it happens.

I'm just a student still, in the dental field, and tools as this come in around all the time. After heavy use, with precision tools, their construction is something as a matter of fact vital. I hope your dentist is not using the pakistani stuff, because I have (branded as german steel by the way haha, but build in pakistan)they scrap, they snap, and when you change tools, it's pure awesomeness. You let the worries and workarounds you had to implement around the tool itself behind, to only worry about your technique and quality of the treatment...

In the end it's a cost/benefits issue, but don't say it's the same because it isn't. If you're ignorant respect a topic, and "believe" or "feel" that, it's not enough, you must know the stuff you're talking about.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:06:54 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1233 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:14:02 »

Small set 25 USD

I disagree, I have a collection of pakistani, taiwanese, chinese and so on drivers, specially precision ones that ****ed up some macbooks that I opened for instance, even using the exact recommended type of screwdriver for the task (phillips #00 or torx t6, and t8) and those screws got wasted, wasted. If you look close enough with magnification to the tip of the screwdriver after some use, it'll look skewed in all sort of directions, and yes manly powerjobs with giant screws won't get in the way, but precision and delicate stuff will if the alloy which build it is of bad quality. Ask around to your local jeweler to teach you one thing or two, if he feels comfortable opening a wrist watch with bad quality precision tools not out of a whim or pleasure, but because It'll cost him real bucks...
The cost of the screwdriver is nothing compared to ****ing up a system worth x10 x100 its price and it happens.

I'm just a student still, in the dental field, and tools as this come in around all the time. After heavy use, with precision tools, their construction is something as a matter of fact vital. I hope your dentist is not using the pakistani stuff, because I have (branded as german steel by the way haha, but build in pakistan)they scrap, they snap, and when you change tools, it's pure awesomeness. You let the worries and workarounds you had to implement around the tool itself behind, to only worry about your technique and quality of the treatment...

In the end it's a cost/benefits issue, but don't say it's the same because it isn't. If you're ignorant respect a topic, and "believe" or "feel" that, it's not enough, you must know the stuff you're talking about.

You're still not looking at where these "drivers" are going, and their intended workload...

Most of us are not jewelers, or dentists, or professional "mac geniuses"

Let's say we have a mac book, that we f...ed up the screws to... It'd be cheaper to buy another set of mac screws or even off brand replacements, than to buy that set of screw drivers.

If these PRO tools are not going to be used in a PRO-setting, then they're a waste.... because the workload will never make them pay-off

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #1234 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:22:48 »

Small set 25 USD

You're still not looking at where these "drivers" are going, and their intended workload...

Most of us are not jewelers, or dentists, or professional "mac geniuses"

Let's say we have a mac book, that we f...ed up the screws to... It'd be cheaper to buy another set of mac screws or even off brand replacements, than to buy that set of screw drivers.

If these PRO tools are not going to be used in a PRO-setting, then they're a waste.... because the workload will never make them pay-off

Correct, it's a cost/benefit thing. If you're doing one job or two it doesn't affect you that much.
But time spend is precious and have a value in money terms too. Go and try to drill out a stuck screw of <2 mm, maybe you'll need to get the full spare part and not just the screw because it got broken in the process, you'll have to order it, wait for it, pay for it...it costs money.

Either way, when you need pro tools, you'll know because you got some box full of bad screwdrivers (that probably would've cost you more than one good set) and only a handful of them working, but again it's not because they are "expensive" that they work better, if it weren't about money and you'd only worry about the quality of the tools, you could buy them used and they'll still be better than many of the chinese ones. It's their quality assurance processes, and throughout testing, extended lifespan, a meticulous chosen alloy that cost them more. It's an engineered piece of equipment, not just the imprint that says germany made.

If you think that way, rubber domes make the same work as our clicky ones, at a fraction of the cost, but the feedback does matter.

The mac thing is just a hobby by the way.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:51:35 by Mandolin »
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Boobiecaps
- Others

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1235 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:23:00 »

Money spent on good tools is never wasted.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1236 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:50:41 »

Money spent on good tools is never wasted.

That's far too blanketing...

Let's say you buy a microgram balance. $3000-6000.. Fv..k yea you can weigh exactly the amount of spices ... but........ alas you're a homemaker rather than a chemist..

"wasted..." no?

no.... the homemaker needs a mass spec, she'd at least need the ug balance for weighing and growing pot on the side..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1237 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 14:53:50 »
Ok, I think we've argued this point enough. Please stay on topic. We can migrate this over to the Tools Thread if we wanna debate more.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1238 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 15:04:46 »
<blank>

Offline alfa147x

« Reply #1239 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 15:28:00 »

either closest home manufacturer or cheapest chinese manufacturer "shipped"

Thanks! Any list of manufacturers to look at?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1240 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:01:01 »
<blank>

Sorry, I just don't want this thread mired in debates about the finer points. I'd like to keep this simple like the title implies. I don't mind a bit of debate or anything but i don't want it to get out of hand. I apologize for not letting you have your rebuttal.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1241 on: Thu, 02 May 2013, 16:11:08 »
Let's say you buy a microgram balance. $3000-6000.. Fv..k yea you can weigh exactly the amount of spices ... but........ alas you're a homemaker rather than a chemist..

"wasted..." no?

no.... the homemaker needs a mass spec, she'd at least need the ug balance for weighing and growing pot on the side..

I lol'd :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1242 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:19:08 »
I keep reading about OEMs but I am not sure what does that mean.
Say a board is made by Costar, what do they actually make? The PCB? The controller? The stabilizers (always or just sometimes)? All these? Or all the keyboard including the cable, casing, keycaps?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1243 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:23:00 »
I keep reading about OEMs but I am not sure what does that mean.
Say a board is made by Costar, what do they actually make? The PCB? The controller? The stabilizers (always or just sometimes)? All these? Or all the keyboard including the cable, casing, keycaps?

They make the whole keyboard.

Costar is the Original Equipment Manufacturer..

For example, Asus mother boards are made by Foxconn "OEM"

But, obviously, certain parts could be sourced from other places..  Costar just assembles all of those keyboards into a final keyboard ready for sale.

An OEM doesn't strictly make exact percentages of the final product, it makes as much as it's asked to..

In the case of Costar keyboards, they turn out the final piece ordered by Coolermaster and Filco

Offline llovro

« Reply #1244 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:27:09 »
Either custom made PCBs or the all time favourite A.87 PCBs.

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1245 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:33:41 »
For example, Asus mother boards are made by Foxconn "OEM"

Good comparison, but I thought Pegatron was their OEM and they've since changed to ECS. Maybe I'm wrong?
Anyway another good comparison would be Seasonic, CWT, and others being the OEM of many power supplies. Corsair, Antec,and others simply "rebadge" them as theirs similar to what happens with mechanical keyboards.

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1246 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 01:50:57 »
But then I am thinking how can an OEM guarantee any level of quality, they have a certain budget and they probably buy the components from other companies depending on the budget. Like how a QFR is also Costar but supposedly little less quality than Filco, they probably had to put it together cheaper. I can see how a certain QA process can ensure some level of quality sort of 'indifferent' of the components, but is that all the magic there is? :)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1247 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 02:04:09 »
But then I am thinking how can an OEM guarantee any level of quality, they have a certain budget and they probably buy the components from other companies depending on the budget. Like how a QFR is also Costar but supposedly little less quality than Filco, they probably had to put it together cheaper. I can see how a certain QA process can ensure some level of quality sort of 'indifferent' of the components, but is that all the magic there is? :)

Brand name. Filco is seen as the best quality, non-custom keyboard by some. But in reality, it's the same as a CM storm except that the Filco is a premium brand and demand a higher price to maintain a level of prestige among buyers
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1248 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 02:26:46 »
Brand name. Filco is seen as the best quality, non-custom keyboard by some. But in reality, it's the same as a CM storm except that the Filco is a premium brand and demand a higher price to maintain a level of prestige among buyers

I thought the Filco had a slightly nicer PCB.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1249 on: Fri, 03 May 2013, 05:13:04 »
You already understand how it works. As nubbinator mentioned, some things were cheapened on, such as the PCB. But I think the biggest thing that allows a QFR to be sold for so cheap compared to a Filco, in conjunction with a slightly cheaper build quality (which is still a fairly good keyboard) is the fact that Filco was probably(?) the only one selling a nice, quality mechanical keyboard and demanded a premium for it. And the success of the Filco helped bolster the Costar name. But if someone wanted them to be an OEM, and wanted the cheapest crap the could find, you would probably end up with a piece of ****. Maybe they care about their image and perception enough to not take on those kinds of contracts?