Author Topic: Dactyl-ManuForm keyboard build  (Read 153591 times)

Offline ufoDziner

Re: Dactyl-ManuForm keyboard build
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 19:33:34 »
Hi @Loligagger,
  Thanks for creating the modded files that you have, as they seem to be the most progressive of the bunch.  I just created some models using your dactyl.clj file, and am having a bit of an issue though.  It seems that changing the thumbs to mini, and/or not using 1.5u spacing for the outer column causes the mounting posts to detach from the case and just sit outside.  Could you please have a look and see if it can be corrected easily?  Also, the base plates appear to have no center.  Is that by design?  I assumed that they'd be closed.  Thanks!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #151 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:07:29 »
The screw posts still need to be moved manually. Perhaps at some point I'll make it so they stay in perfect positions for whatever layout you pick but that's low priority for me tbh. As for the bottom plate that's how it is in the original fork as well. You'd use that to export as a .dxf then throw it in whatever 3D software you like to make a plate out of.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:44:27 »
Thanks for the prompt reply!  Would you mind giving me just a bit of guidance as to where the posts are in the code so I can try and move them?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #153 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 20:54:37 »
It's right near the bottom, where you see "defn screw-insert-all-shapes". You'll see the 5 lines for the screw posts and their [x, y, z] offset values.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 21:09:58 »
Awesome.  Thanks a ton!

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 16:00:56 »
@Loligagger - I'm finishing up my build using your files... Thanks!  Quick question.  I'm using the Elite-C boards, so I printed 2 of your Elite-C controller holders.  The Elite-C and TRRS slots seem to be perfect, as does the fit of the controller holder in the right keyboard half.  The left side is another story though.  It doesn't appear to have the guide slots for the controller holder to slide into.  Is there some other part that I'm supposed to print for the left half?  Thanks again.

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:46:29 »
The left half parts should just be a mirror of the right half.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #157 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 19:30:16 »
Okay.  I used the generated files for left and right.  It appears that it's not an exact mirror, as those grooves are missing.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #158 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 22:50:52 »
Finished it!!!  Super pleased, just need to work on my typing skills now!!!

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #159 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:49:37 »
Would you mind sharing the step file for your Elite-C holder?  I'd like to mess with it a bit.  Thanks!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 00:01:59 »
Sure, might as well share .step files for both versions of the holder.

Offline ufoDziner

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 21:13:40 »
Thanks a ton!!  I just finished some floating wrist rests for it.  So far they feel really good.  Allows me to reach without having to lift, etc...

https://imgur.com/ohrozoZ

https://imgur.com/MWC0ghs

Offline anorak

« Reply #162 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 09:03:02 »
I finished my build. It is a dactyl manuform for the left hand only, with modifications for being used as a gaming pad.
Because it is for gaming, it has some RGB backlight for the keys  ;D

With backlight on

Soldering was some sort of a special hell

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 11:20:54 »
That is some amazing piece of work. The Amoeba PCBs are a good idea for doing the backlight. I have been looking for a workable approach to use SMD LEDs and haven't found any documentation by others doing that with a Manuform.

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:28:03 »
So, i was far from this for a couple of reasons.

now i'm back and I would like to print a dactyl-manuform-ergodox. I've already printed one but i've found that keys in the cluster are not properly spaced (this is what someone told me in this thread or another one, i don't remember)

So, which STL should I print that works properly ?

Offline shiftux

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:33:21 »
Hello

New here. Starting a dactyl-manuform build.
Thanks for all the great work and the rich information here! - Special thanks to @Tshort!

My goal would be to modify the standard build a bit, adding media buttons and a rotary encoder. The STL files look fine so far, everything is in place. However I have a question concerning the QMK firmware. The photos of the wiring in the https://github.com/abstracthat/dactyl-manuform pictures show a 5x6 build but it actually has 6x6 (6 colored cables and 6 white cables) which is confusing me... Then if I look at the code to build a hex file I see a matrix that looks like 8x6 per side...?

code from default 5x6 keymap (https://github.com/tshort/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/dactyl-manuform/keymaps/5x6-default/keymap.c) looks smt like: 

Code: [Select]

// left hand
   KC_ESC,    KC_1,    KC_2,    KC_3,   KC_4,   KC_5,
   KC_TAB,    KC_Q,    KC_W,    KC_E,   KC_R,   KC_T,
   KC_LCTL,   KC_A,    KC_S,    KC_D,   KC_F,   KC_G,
   KC_LSFT,   KC_Y,    KC_X,    KC_C,   KC_V,   KC_B,
                       KC_NUBS,  KC_EQL,
                               KC_LALT, KC_LGUI,
                               KC_UP,   MO(1),
                               KC_DOWN, KC_HOME,

so I can't really figure out how the 8 lines and 6 columns then are being interpreted and should be wired up to match the final desired keymap...

Thanks for the help!

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 09:07:00 »

now i'm back and I would like to print a dactyl-manuform-ergodox. I've already printed one but i've found that keys in the cluster are not properly spaced (this is what someone told me in this thread or another one, i don't remember)

no one ?

Offline shiftux

« Reply #167 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 07:48:29 »
RE my previous question, I found the answer for anyone interested.
while the keyboard layout is considered a 5x6 keyboard. the wiring matrix is actually a 6x6 matrix (with 4 empty slots)
the code here https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/blob/master/keyboards/handwired/dactyl_manuform/5x6/5x6.h illustrates that. note the upper part corresponds to the keyboard and the lower part corresponds to the wiring matrix.

hope this helps someone else

Offline shiftux

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 14:03:45 »
I'm struggling getting the slave half to work...
i flashed QMK (default 5x6) and plugged in the left side (master) which is working fine (QWERT), connecting the TRS for the slave works and the slave is powered (led on the pro micro) but keys are not responding.
if i plug the right side it starts acting as master (QWERT keys) as expected and the left side (now slave) is in turn not responding...
checked the connection and the signal cable is on PD0 (default) on both MCUs and checking it with my voltmeter gives the connection beep as it should...

has this happened to someone else here?
any ideas of how to debug?

Offline shiftux

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 10:21:39 »

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 04:09:52 »

So ? Which stl/openscad should I use for the latest and fixed version ?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #171 on: Sat, 14 November 2020, 23:13:46 »
Recently made some fixes and changes to the model (added to my fork here) so I may as well share them.

I noticed that the top row keycap (when using 5 rows) for the ring finger column would sometimes collide with the case near bottom out, so I widened the switch plate slightly to accommodate for that. Old design on the left and new one on the right.

255811-0

Also wanted to thicken the 'switch plate' to 4.5mm to lessen the gap between the bottom of the case and amoebas or any other PCB. That way the PCB should hold the switch tightly in place even if the switch plate itself doesn't have a super tight hold. Increased the web connector thickness between the individual switch plates too so you don't get those squares sticking out making the bottom uneven. As a side effect of the method I used to do this some of the walls are slightly thicker.

255809-1

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 17:07:03 »
Early WIP. Will have to print out a test piece to see if it even feels good in hand. If it does I'll see about adding it as a parameter to my fork.

Offline geoff

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 02:55:08 »
Starting to collect materials for a build now, and am humming and hawing over the options in the clj script (haven't printed anything yet) while I wait. How is your modified "cf" thumb cluster working out for you @Lollygagger? Do you have some pros and cons of it vs the default DM thumb cluster? Thanks for your fork by the way with some of the mods that I was concerned about already taken care of! (nubs / kailh compatibility / wire hooks off)

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 27 February 2021, 15:16:43 »
Starting to collect materials for a build now, and am humming and hawing over the options in the clj script (haven't printed anything yet) while I wait. How is your modified "cf" thumb cluster working out for you @Lollygagger? Do you have some pros and cons of it vs the default DM thumb cluster? Thanks for your fork by the way with some of the mods that I was concerned about already taken care of! (nubs / kailh compatibility / wire hooks off)

I do prefer my thumb cluster to the manuform one (but then of course I do). I didn't like how you had to move your thumb more than one position down to reach all the keys on the manuform cluster. Since designing it there have been a number of them out in the wild now & other people seem to like it too. So I guess I got something right with it.

Anyway, I've since printed a test piece with that diamond arrow cluster. Seems to work well enough; doesn't get in the way of the palm. I'm not entirely convinced of the position of the left arrow key though. The positioning works well if using the index/middle/ring fingers but it works a bit less for the middle/ring/pinky fingers. I'm considering moving the left arrow key closer (by 1-2 mm) to the rest of the main cluster to fix this. I'll include the stl for this test piece in case anyone with a printer doesn't mind trying it out for themselves & letting me know what they think or how to improve it.

Edit: added a modified stl with the left arrow key moved up by a few mm.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 February 2021, 19:49:06 by Loligagger »

Offline wcunning

« Reply #175 on: Sun, 28 February 2021, 12:32:53 »
Sweet work @loligagger. I've already printed a set of CrystalHand's dactyl manuforms with wrist rests, and I'm getting ready to wire things up, hopefully today or tomorrow.

It's amazing to see this all get worked out in real time on this forum. I used to lurk just to follow AcidFire's build that seemed to have died and I'm much more excited to see this evolutionary line continue to grow and change.

Cheers!
Will

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 03 March 2021, 02:43:04 »
Thanks. When your board is finished post some pics, why not. :thumb:

In other news I modified the MCU/TRRS jack holder to be shorter (added to my fork). Mostly because I didn't want the cutout on the back wall to be so tall anymore. So now the case itself has a notch to accommodate those TRRS breakout boards. The new holder should be compatible with elite-c v4s, but since I don't have any on hand I'm not 100% on that. So if anyone with some on hand doesn't mind testing it out I can modify it if need be.

263477-0

Offline MutenMaster

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 09:54:46 »
Guys, any "working" fork ? I need a new keyboard and I don't know which one to print, as printing times are huge, i don't want to print a WIP fork that doesn't fit properly or with caps touching somewhere (like I did last time)

Offline iaji

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 11 April 2021, 03:09:30 »
built this keyboard some days ago. currently use maltron's layout. maltron layout is ok-ish for me.

Offline Headway

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 26 May 2021, 10:25:18 »
@loligagger, want to try your fork with cf thumb layout but got confused with the warning "NOTE: THIS DOESN'T WORK QUITE LIKE I'D HOPED.". Is it ok to print with these settings or is there a better or safe version?

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 27 May 2021, 03:28:51 »
@loligagger, want to try your fork with cf thumb layout but got confused with the warning "NOTE: THIS DOESN'T WORK QUITE LIKE I'D HOPED.". Is it ok to print with these settings or is there a better or safe version?

Those lines are from Tshort's original fork for the dactyl-manuform (concerning the 'fixed' column style). It's unused in the clojure so it won't cause any issues. I'll probably just remove that from my fork tbh.

Offline nathanielks

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 15 August 2021, 14:05:17 »
Many thanks to loligagger for publishing their holder. I used it to make a nice!nano edition!

You can find the source here: https://github.com/nathanielks/nice-nano-holder

Offline jamster

Dactyl ManuForm and acoustics
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 24 August 2021, 22:09:03 »
Whoops, posted by accident when I intended to start a new thread.

Offline Amiran

« Reply #183 on: Fri, 12 November 2021, 17:25:55 »
Building my first Dactyl Manu and went for 6x7.  Case printed by Andrew Langton on Etsy.
Keycaps are cheapo DSA and will do for now.
Soldering took a day and I tried to edit downloaded 6x6 from QMK and flashed my chinese micro's in series.
Left hand side is all over the place, right does not work at all obvsly.

I am learning how to map 6x7 to micros and how to program, I will need 1 standard layer for 86 Key board.

Offline Mind-Over-Madman

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 08 December 2021, 12:14:22 »
Hey guys. I've been doing a build of the dactyl manuform this past year as my first handwired. I'm neck deep, and been doing so far so good, but I have a significant problem that I need feedback for.

I didn't use clojure to generate this dactyl, I used the 5x6 thingiverse build that was listed on the dactyl manuform github: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2666676

I have to admit, I'm slightly annoyed that I have to build an adapter caddy for my pro micro, but it shouldn't take too long. The real problem is that this pre-generated dactyl seems to require a USB-type extension cord instead of using a setup for the board caddies you guys have made in this thread. in fact. with my current wiring setup, I doubt I can actually design a caddy that fits the tolerances of the pre-generated dactyl, while still using having the case-bottom that I'm using. I also really, REALLY don't want to do any amputations to this project.

What I need help with is this: the hole where the extension cord is supposed to go is 6.23mm x 13.02mm. I've had my eyes set on these, and I'm wondering if this would be good enough or if there are any better alternatives.

https://www.amazon.com/YCS-Basics-Cellphone-Charging-Extension/dp/B00B5HSC20/ref=psdc_464394_t2_B071NR19BQ?th=1
https://www.amazon.com/Cellphone-Tablet-Female-Charging-Extension/dp/B071NR19BQ/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=micro+USB+extension+cord+4+inches&qid=1638986107&sr=8-3
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 December 2021, 12:16:12 by Mind-Over-Madman »

Offline SerialScaresMe

• example
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 17 April 2022, 19:22:07 »
Building my first Dactyl Manu and went for 6x7.  Case printed by Andrew Langton on Etsy.
Keycaps are cheapo DSA and will do for now.
Soldering took a day and I tried to edit downloaded 6x6 from QMK and flashed my chinese micro's in series.
Left hand side is all over the place, right does not work at all obvsly.

I am learning how to map 6x7 to micros and how to program, I will need 1 standard layer for 86 Key board.
How comfortable is/was this variant for you? Was it too hard to reach any keys?