Author Topic: Cleaning engraved keycaps?  (Read 2722 times)

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Cleaning engraved keycaps?
« on: Fri, 30 December 2011, 19:53:04 »
I'm sure the info is here and I'll get rippied by ripster.  But any advice on cleaning out the lettering on some engraved white keys from WASD.  A few of them have a little discolor in them now.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 10:04:00 »
Have you tried soap and warm water? That's what I use, though my engraved keycaps aren't too dirty.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 December 2011, 11:51:14 »
It really was a general question but I'll ask there anyways.  I think I need something to clean inside the lettering besides just sitting them in water.  They aren't real bad but a couple don't look bright white and its bothering me.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 January 2012, 04:41:51 »
What doew ripster always say simple green or something idk i think ive read it a couple time while reading threads.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 16:38:37 »
If I have a tough spot, I get an old toothbrush, and scrub it a little like a floor.

Also, simple green is a cleaner that has been mentioned in "how to clean my keyboard" (or whatever) topic in ripster's index. I still think that warm soapy water and a dishrag to scrub with should work out well.

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 January 2012, 21:47:10 by dorkvader »

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 January 2012, 17:07:07 »
Quote from: dorkvader;484065
If I have a tough spot, I get an old toothbrusd, and scrub it a little like a floor.

Also, simple green is a cleaner that has been mentioned in "how to clean my keyboard" (or whatever) topic in ripster's index. I still think that warm soapy water and a dishrag to scrub with should work out well.

Thanks for the info, i have yet to get off my butt and do it. They are sitting in a bag so not really any rush.