Author Topic: Keycool 84 and MechanicalKeyboards.com a noobs review.  (Read 5956 times)

Offline ImperfectLink

Keycool 84 and MechanicalKeyboards.com a noobs review.
« on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:31:33 »

This is a review of the Keycool 84 keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches and white backlighting purchased from MechanicalKeyboards.com. Sorry for the lack of imagery but the unit didn't spend enough time out of the box for me to take many pictures. There are also no stats for the stat readers, but this is a chronological journal of my experience.

I started my journey into the world of compact mechanical keyboards due to an interest in optimizing my desk space and reducing the distance to my mouse on the right side. My keyboard was centered on the monitor and not the home keys so I was also typing at an angle. Over time this would cause discomfort in my lower lumbar region. Fixing this and shortening the keyboard to a 'tenkeyless' model would mean more comfort when mousing constantly. Shopping for one on MechanicalKeyboards.com was actually quite a pleasing experience. It's easy to find the right product and do a little learning in the process.

One thing to note about MechanicalKeyboards.com is that their return policy reads as though it was written to protect the vendor rather than the customer. Shipping is currently listed as being free but the cost is integrated with the price. The policy states that in the event of a return, the customer must return the unit, compensate for original shipping cost (essentially double pay) as well as a ten percent restocking fee. That said, the people I interacted with from the company seem pretty trustworthy.

I'm a bit of a nightowl and my graphics software generally utilizes most of the keys on a full sized keyboard, therefore a compact or software numpad and backlighting would come in handy. The Keycool84 with white backlight and Cherry MX Browns seemed like a logical choice with its integrated software numpad. I've read good feedback on the non-backlit versions of this board. Since there were no Browns available, I went ahead with the order but for Blues and put a little note on there for any available with Browns. Three days later it was handed to me by a Fedex delivery man. To my delight, it was a Keycool84 with White backlighting and Cherry MX Browns! Kudos to MK.

The box was packed reasonably well and there were no signs of damage. Inside the Keycool box was a Keycool 84 key keyboard in a thin plastic bag, a USB cable, a flyer, a small packet with a scrappy plastic key pull and a USB to PS2 converter. Some reviews also show this keyboard coming with a bag and four extra keys. Not the case here. The fact that there are basically no accessories and you'd have to repurchase the two items they supplied immediately sucks some of the value out of the purchase.

The board itself felt heavy and well built with little to no flex. It was almost as though there really was a full sized keyboard stuffed in there. When it was time to plug it in to take it for a spin and test the 'N Key Rollover' etcetera,  I discovered that the PS2 adaptor was too loose and essentially useless. USB however, worked and the board was soon up and running with no drivers or additional software required. All features on the keyboard including media keys worked right out of the box on both Windows 7 and Ubuntu 13.04. Let there be light!

Another thing to note is that the images on the website show green backlighting for the lock keys but the one I received is all white, which I do prefer anyway. There are three levels of backlighting and I find the lowest setting to be perfect. At night, the keys are visible but not glaring and in the day it looks no different than white print. The print on the keycaps though is in a word, dirty. In terms of print and appearance, next to my Asus G55 and its backlit chiclet keyboard, the Keycool is clearly outshined. Pun intended. There are tiny spots and streaks of black paint over the translucent parts of many of the keycaps. This obscures the backlight and some appear to be dimmer than others. The edging of the legends on some of the other keys is rough. The switches felt sturdy and were very nice to use. The weight and solid sound of the keycaps make for a pleasing typing experience. The 3 key was sticking part of the way down and would frequently mistype if I didn't press hard enough to get past that point. There was something obviously wrong so I removed the keycap and found it to be a loose switch. There were just too many issues for this to be a refurbished unit. Someone call the QA department!

Some problems were simply design related. The backlight would seem to forget where it was and I'd have to turn it back on when returning to the computer after a break. I've read of similar issues with the original Ducky Shine when the computer went to sleep but nothing since then. The numpad can only be accessed by pressing FN+Numlock, which can be a bit of a stretch for small hands, then it can be disabled the same way. It's easy to assume that it is supposed to be FN plus the number you want which would have been ideal but in this case it's not true. This can be very inconvenient if you only need to press a single number key for a software shortcut. I see it as an oversight on Keycool's as well as MechanicalKeyboards' behalf for not clarifying. The solution for me was to turn the capslock into a numlock in software. It's a registry hack in Windows but much simpler in Ubuntu. Not ideal but it works.

If you're considering this keyboard then you'll probably have better luck going with the non-backlit version with better quality keycaps. That would eliminate at least half of the risk involved.

Overall, I really like the compact layout and where it positions my mouse but I don't believe that Keycool and MechanicalKeyboards has achieved the $130 value of the purchase. This particular board has not earned a space on my desk. If policy was to be followed then I would forfeit $31 for this escapade. That is money ($130 + $31) better spent towards a higher quality Ducky, Filco or Leopold. However, MK worked with me to replace the unit for something better. There is more than a good chance I will be perusing MechanicalKeyboards.com again in the future simply for the large selection, but it will not be for a backlit Keycool.

Keycool84 review rating:                                     3/5

MechanicalKeyboards.com review rating:         4/5

« Last Edit: Sat, 06 July 2013, 14:17:45 by ImperfectLink »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Keycool 84 and MechanicalKeyboards.com review.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:41:38 »
It would've been nice to see nicer pictures so we could relate your thoughts on the keyboard's issues to something visual.
I also would've liked to see more on the keyboard and less about MK.com.

It's interesting to note that this board came with both a PS/2 and USB connection though.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:42:44 »
The review flows a lot with your experience that you had, but it doesn't give a very objective breakdown of what you expected, what it is you really bought, what you liked/didn't like, how you would compare it to others you have experienced, or really said anything about who would like this sort of keyboard.

Mechanical keyboards is a nice company to work with.  You can disagree with policy although you also need to separate your feelings about a company from the review of the keyboard.  I felt like I was getting tugged between one direction and another the entire read.

Keep working at it to make what it is you review different from the Amazon reviews I often pass over because it's a fight to consolidate the information.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:44:31 by Binge »
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:48:00 »
I agree with Binge in the sense that the purchasing experience should not influence your thoughts on how the board actually feels to you. I think it would've been nice to have seen two separate reviews because the read seemed to flow in two different directions.

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 06 July 2013, 13:57:48 »
You're right guys. I should have done more to separate the two but it was more about the initial experience. Sorry about the images but they all came out grainy and didn't have a better camera on hand. That was what the written descriptions were for.

My experience with MK was very positive but I docked them a star for having a 'scary' policy. My experience with the KC84 was different. I tried to like it, but there were issues that should have been cleared up at the factory or if this is a general QA problem, it should not have been sold to me. All problems were immediately apparent. Thus, I spent under an hour with the Keycool and two weeks with MK.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 July 2013, 14:32:06 by ImperfectLink »