Author Topic: HPE87 / with pictures  (Read 8171 times)

Offline Bencze

HPE87 / with pictures
« on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 17:56:23 »
This is a review of my brand new HPE87.
Bare in mind that I'm no expert, not very familiar with different technologies and terms yet, but perhaps this will be of some use for someone that is even remotely interested in this keyboard. I made the photos with my SGS3 and didn't try too much, sorry for the bad lightning and off focus. I am not a native english speaker so there will be some mistakes, if they bother you feel free to point them out. The post reflects my subjective opinion.

As far as I gathered HPE is a Chinese manufacturer who makes keyboards that are, according to various sources, pretty much like chinese version of Filco keyboards.

This keyboard is available in white or black, with blue, brown, black and red cherry MX switches. I bought the white version with brown switches.

I got it from Qtan who was helpful and very good in communication by the way. The keyboard cost 67$, shipping was 22$ to Hungary (that's Europe for you who mix up Chechnya with Czech Republic  ;) ).

FedEx brought it to my workplace.

The packaging is kind of thin though, would have preferred a triple bubble layer but I guess this is what cheap shipping means, 22$ is very good price for this kind of item shipping...

Not too bad of a logo for a keyboard that is cheap considering what it is supposed to do. :)

I suppose customs people were really curious what is inside this big package considering the label said 25$. They must have been satisfied with what they seen since they didn't contact me to present invoices and pay for import (under 30 euro or so we don't have to).

And here it was!
The case looks OK, no cheap feeling to it.
Most importantly: it was straight. I hate boards that aren't and you need to try bending them back, or put something under one of the feet. It doesn't really bend either, very solid feeling. I like it.
I don't know what kind of key caps these are and what kind of printing technology it is (feel free to point it out), I feel the printing on the keys a little. Especially on the keys that have 2 signs on them, the upper one feels more textured, interesting.
Didn't weight it but feels of decent weight, similar to my QFR.
In-built cable which I actually prefer, it's just a normal cable, not too thin, some standard length (maybe 1.5m).

Caps and scroll lock LEDs are blue, a bit too bright, the round hole they are sunk in (that correct?) looks kind of lame.

Update from cyberwave:
there is a blue led under F12 which lights up when u press Fn + F12 (deactivate windows key)

This is the bottom.. looks pretty standard I guess.
The rubber feet are pretty stable, surely the weight helps too, but it doesn't budge a micron when I type on it on my office desk (bit slippery kind).
The adjustable feet are quite snappy, even more than on my QFR, very solid, no weird looseness or anything.
Case back looks OK too from quality perspective.

I think I am like a kid sometimes, I like freebies! And the switches indeed look as expected, no surprises there.

At home after some 15 minutes struggling with the case I took a look inside. Especially because I did not find too much information about this keyboard and the other HPE review here doesn't show it (and that looks like a different keyboard anyway).

I don't know anything about electronics either, but the PCB looked pretty neat and tidy.
Update from cyberwave:
the PCB is dual layer. with SMDs on the front side(PCB which is under the plate)

Some more shots.

Overall typing feeling is probably subjective since I never tried any other mx brown keyboard. Firs time it felt similar to some rubber domes. It is a bit different now already, but I don't yet understand how can one type on this without bottoming out. The bump is very, very small compared to the blue switches in my QFR (I am also a heavy typer, way too much for blues too but I incidentally like the feeling of blues a lot).
To whoever doesn't know brown switches: there is a little resistance, then a bump very near to top, then resistance is suddenly less but seems to increase a little as I press down and at the bottom gets quite strong, so jumps back quite forcefully. The keys feel a little 'sticky' (friction) compared to blues which seem like similar weight (maybe even a little more) but no friction like on browns, instead very crisp feeling.
Before purchasing a mechanical keyboard I heard they are very loud, well this doesn't really seem any louder than rubber dome keyboards if you tend to bottom out which most people do. It's the switch of choice if you need to type among normal people that aren't very tolerant.

The printing on the keys looks so-so, wouldn't call it very good quality. The keys themselves are, I think, a little bit more textured than on my QFR. Maybe because of this, they feel a little rubber-ish which I don't like so much (maybe not the right word, I am trying to describe it somehow). I think if I will ever come to use this keyboard a lot, I should definitely invest in some quality key caps, I read people saying it's pretty much standard like Filco.

Bottom line, let's see my personal verdicts:
Pros:
- cheap, considering it's a well built cherry MX keyboard. Adds to cheapness that it can be bought from Qtan which is half shipping price to Europe than US stores.
- keyboard feels well built, straight (! :) )
- good, stable, not wobbly feet
- keys are very stable, not wobbly, quality feel to that
- key weighting seems very even (probably Cherry's merit, still)
- Caps has no in built led so I can later use a simple blank one :) (so I can switch its function with backspace)
- more silent than I would have thought
- built-in cable (if you're OK with the cable I consider it a good thing, don't have to be careful with usb port)

Cons:
- The feel of the key caps is just not to my liking, this may be subjective I don't know. I like a bit shinier feel.
- I like the more crisp feeling than this friction thingy which is most probably coming from switch type, not from HPE, can't tell.
- built-in cable (if you hate the cable you're kind of stuck with it.. or if you switch keyboards a lot it can be a disadvantage if they don't all have detachable cable)
- LEDs are a bit too bright and don't really look good aesthetically
- For me - in case of a problem warranty is near useless as with any item bought from abroad because of international shipping fees (OK I broke the seal anyway :) ) - this is pretty much same for me for every decent keyboard.

Finally:
I bought this keyboard for two reasons: to experiment, and to have a less noisy keyboard for work.
I do not regret a thing, I've yet to see if I will get used to typing on it or not, but the experiment was worth it (can always sell it with not too great loss).
A keyboard that feels really solid and I basically have no quality objections to it excepting the key caps which I might change to something better. I read about a lot of keyboards on this site, and I think that realistically a keyboard this good for 89$ can be considered a very good deal for Europeans. OK, Qtan put 25$ on the shipping label which would have sucked if they lose it, but it also meant I did not have to pay our 27% VAT (just calculate, it's a lot). As a comparison I got my QFR for 130$ for which I payed more shipping and the VAT, too.
If anyone from Hungary would want a keyboard with blues or browns I can now honestly recommend the HPE87 as one of cheapest good option (afaik we only have red and black switches here locally - closest alternative would be to eBay a cherry keyboard from Germany, and from what I heard they aren't built so well).
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2013, 02:11:45 by Bencze »
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
Re: HPE87 / with pictures
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:27:48 »
Thanks for the detailed review!

Yeah, it's always nice to have a secondary keyboard to play around with :).

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 00:46:51 »
just to add.

there is a blue led under F12 which lights up when u press Fn + F12 (deactivate windows key)

and the PCB is dual layer. with SMDs on the front side(PCB which is under the plate)

Offline Bencze

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 02:13:11 »
Thanks Cyberwave, I added the info.
I was wondering what Fn key is, and what's so special about F12 that I got a black one :) should have looked more carefully, the icon on it says it all :)

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 03:50:57 »
Yes. Good keyboard. Browns feel weird when new, they have some sandiness for a while.
My hpe is doing a hard reset when someone nearby plugs usb devices. It bothered me that I have to wait 2 seconds but I've just got used to it.
I use it as primary keyb at work. QFR at home. I like browns better.
Here the QFR sold by local companies is around 95$.
On hpe I'm using orings and thick pbt caps and it's just gorgeous.
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline numerus

• Happy go lucky
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:09:57 »
I have my since one Month and i still like it a lot  :cool:
it has MX Red Switches and also i change the Cabel with detachabel one, thanks Paranoid ;) he did really good work.

hier is Picture of mines  :-*

at all I m agree that original key kaps arre not the best ones but i have them allready change it with old Cherry Dysubs from Triumph Adler Typing machine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:12:04 by numerus »
KBC Poker II | HPE 87% | FILCO Majestouch 2 | Cherry G81-3000 | Marquardt MK | CM NovaTouch TKL | POK3R 

Offline Bencze

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 03:51:03 »
How do you remove the casing? I struggled with it a lot, used creditcard and had to use a screwdriver too for helping, it's very tight...
I don't plan on changing much inside but it's good to get some tips.
I'm also waiting on my Ccng key set, can't wait, it will be my first one. I sincerely hope I will like them, not cheap with international shipping but I think nearly anything is better than stock key caps so not too worried.

Also, I'm happy to report that the keyboard somehow feels better now, either I am starting to get used to it or maybe it needed a little break in. Or maybe both. With better quality key caps I will probably be quite happy overall.

Offline numerus

• Happy go lucky
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 April 2013, 13:27:44 »
How do you remove the casing? I struggled with it a lot, used creditcard and had to use a screwdriver too for helping, it's very tight...
I'm also waiting on my Ccng key set, can't wait, it will be my first one. I sincerely hope I will like them, not cheap with international shipping but I think nearly anything is better than stock key caps so not too worried.

Also, I'm happy to report that the keyboard somehow feels better now, either I am starting to get used to it or maybe it needed a little break in. Or maybe both. With better quality key caps I will probably be quite happy overall.

Have also dificulties to open that Case but it was ok, just used two Kitchen Knives. I following open order at first bottom up side then bouth sides and than the upper side on the places where the pins are with gently push. Nothing more.
for All they whana change that Cable its 100% matching to FILCO PCB Connector. So no worryes to change it with custom Slaves.
And Paranoid Cabels makes amazing work with in. Justz check here in Forum his Classiefields ;)
KBC Poker II | HPE 87% | FILCO Majestouch 2 | Cherry G81-3000 | Marquardt MK | CM NovaTouch TKL | POK3R 

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 02:37:42 »

Have also dificulties to open that Case but it was ok, just used two Kitchen Knives. I following open order at first bottom up side then bouth sides and than the upper side on the places where the pins are with gently push. Nothing more.
for All they whana change that Cable its 100% matching to FILCO PCB Connector. So no worryes to change it with custom Slaves.
And Paranoid Cabels makes amazing work with in. Justz check here in Forum his Classiefields ;)

true. im using mine with a detachable wire from Paranoid.
the length of it would be the same as filco full sized's cable. if u are ordering from Paranoid please DO NOT order the filco tkl length.

Offline Bencze

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 05:43:01 »
true. im using mine with a detachable wire from Paranoid.
the length of it would be the same as filco full sized's cable. if u are ordering from Paranoid please DO NOT order the filco tkl length.
That's good advice. Right now I don't really plan changing cable, the stock one is not pretty I guess but I don't plan changing keyboards several times a day so it's alright. I don't want to start justifying changing stuff, I'm already very broke and there's more important stuff to pay likle rent and bills and food :)
But I did look at Paranoid's thread, maybe in future if I deem necessary, it's good to know.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 07:09:58 »
lol I love the misspelled "Ecs" on the PCB  :))

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 07:17:10 »
Great review man, the pictures are nice and I like how you opened it up just to take a peek inside. If you think the LEDs are too bright, people have suggested stickers or using a marker/Sharpie and draw over the top of the LEDs.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 07:30:40 »
lol I love the misspelled "Ecs" on the PCB  :))
I can haz speelz gud. :))

Offline baller1308

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 May 2013, 11:54:56 »
Just got mine with MX Browns and it's not bad.  The keyboard feels solid, rubber feet really grip the desk.  The risers also have rubber fittings on them as well to help keep it in place.

I agree that the brightness of the LED's are a little too bright.  I'll be using the keyboard in the office so it won't really affect me that much since the lights are always on.  This keyboard is more quiet compared to my Noppoo Choc Mini.  I like the sound that the Noppoo makes when I type, but the HPE is probably better for my work colleagues around me, lol.

The cable is made of a softer material compared to my Noppoo's cable.  I guess it can make a difference if you tie the cable up a lot and move it around then it'll be easier to straighten out.

Branding would have been better positioned in the front, similar to Filco, imo, and I guess if it really bothers me I could remove it although there would be a weird spot on the keyboard.

I wish there was a Caps/Ctrl switch available instead of having to resort to using applications to accomplish this.

Overall, it's seems to be a solid keyboard.  The ABS keycaps may start to shine in the future, only time will tell.  I would recommend buying it if you are looking for a cheaper($) tenkeyless keyboard to get your feet wet in the mechanical keyboard world.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 May 2013, 10:56:16 by baller1308 »
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline morpheus

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:14:07 »
I have a white one, it's a joy to type on. I feel so much more productive on it than on any keyboard I've ever used. Well, that might all change when my new Leopold FC660C arrives, but until then it's my favorite for typing. My typing speed and accuracy is slightly better on Browns than on Blues.

Offline baller1308

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 10:43:17 »
I have a white one, it's a joy to type on. I feel so much more productive on it than on any keyboard I've ever used. Well, that might all change when my new Leopold FC660C arrives, but until then it's my favorite for typing. My typing speed and accuracy is slightly better on Browns than on Blues.
Yeah, I agree, it's a great keyboard.  Has it's flaws but overall it's not bad for the price you pay and the quality you receive.  Let me know how you like the Leopold FC660C.  It seems to be a popular item at the moment.  I've never tried Topre switches before but might have to get my hands on one.
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline G.C.W.

• Formerly t!ng
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 06:03:07 »
The PCB looks beautiful. I would scratch off that sticker on the case though.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 06:14:29 »
Is this another filco clone like the QFR or do they differ more?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 16 June 2013, 16:16:17 »
The PCB looks beautiful. I would scratch off that sticker on the case though.
the sticker is a 2mm thick sticker which can be removed easily :)

Offline Bencze

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 08:03:31 »
Maybe even less :) It is considered a cheap filco tkl clone, pretty much. Apparently it's really not bad for the price. At least I feel I got more than what I expected, for that price.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 21 June 2013, 12:29:33 »
Maybe even less :) It is considered a cheap filco tkl clone, pretty much. Apparently it's really not bad for the price. At least I feel I got more than what I expected, for that price.
Do you think you could fit into a filco case?
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline Bencze

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 07:55:52 »
No idea, I don't own a filco for comparison nor I see the point to be honest. Either get a filco or this one, this one is a good choice for someone that wants a decent keyboard without paying premium price.

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 12:58:29 »
Nice review, I enjoyed it.
QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline ImperfectLink

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 16:37:44 »
If anyone has access to both, please spill the beans in a comparison. Nice review.

Offline listokei

• ListoKei Blog
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 12 August 2013, 06:50:17 »
Thanks for detail review  :thumb:

Offline skuko

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 22 August 2013, 01:51:45 »
thanks for the review, awesome. i'm in Bratislava, may as well buy this, i'm in for a blue switch board atm :)