Author Topic: MG profile keycaps  (Read 3262 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
MG profile keycaps
« on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 08:24:04 »
I'm looking into those MG profile keycaps.
What sets do you guys have?
How do they feel, compared to HiPro, MT3 or SA?
Do you like them?
What color sets were out so far?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline ms264556

Re: MG profile keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 09:53:17 »
They're SA keycaps with HiPro style scoops.
I hate MT3 to type on - the tops are so small that the sharp edges are constantly bashing on my fingertips. But MG has the same nice big top area as SA, so I can actually feel the scoop.
GMKY do "AF SA" keycaps which are identical quality, colour and finish, with the same profile, sculpt and scoop, but 2mm shorter. The AF SA caps are 1/4 the cost of MG, so they're a cheap way of getting a good HiPro style scoop, or 'improving' an MG set (e.g. I mixed MG and AFSA rows to get a profile I'm happy with).
Colour-wise, you can check the Melgeek website, or go to AliExpress and do a search for "af sa keycaps" and click on the 1st link. The description has lots of big pictures of the colourways (but with different names).

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:27:38 »
MG profile is sculpted SA with big scoops.

There's a less tall version called AF SA, clearly made using the same processes.

You don't need to wait for an R2 of MG Monster, you can get it in AF SA here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003668928656.html

[Kit 14]

During the recent AliExpress anniversary sale, you could get one of those AF SA sets shipped to you for $57 CAD all inclusive.

That's way cheaper than $100 USD + MG Monster.

I have MG Monster, and it is great. Very comfortable. I would say, more comfortable than MT3. But sound is mediocre. MT3 can beat it in sound.

Sorry MT3, MG (and probably AF SA) is my new best friend.

Offline phinix

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:32:28 »
MG profile is sculpted SA with big scoops.

There's a less tall version called AF SA, clearly made using the same processes.

You don't need to wait for an R2 of MG Monster, you can get it in AF SA here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003668928656.html

[Kit 14]

During the recent AliExpress anniversary sale, you could get one of those AF SA sets shipped to you for $57 CAD all inclusive.

That's way cheaper than $100 USD + MG Monster.

I have MG Monster, and it is great. Very comfortable. I would say, more comfortable than MT3. But sound is mediocre. MT3 can beat it in sound.

Sorry MT3, MG (and probably AF SA) is my new best friend.

Yeah, I saw your comments somewhere about those sets :)

Thing is, I have a rather fat fingers:) Typing on MT3 I often hit the edge of cap. Was wondering if I would like HiPro, or this AF SA/MG caps having bigger top surfaces.
I may pick that AF SA Monster to try it out.
But then, there is MT3 9009 PBT set with R5, so I wanted that too. Then MT3 Godspeed is coming out soon, which I want as well...
I promised myself not to spend more money on keyboards and keycaps. But then I bought HHKB and looks like soon will be buying another one /facepalm

P.S.
£34 for that AF SA Monster, I think I'll go for it :D But I want high MG version :(

Can you show some pics of that MG MOnster of your?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:37:29 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:37:02 »
Yea, I highly recommend picking up a cheap AF SA set. If only for your education.

I own SA R3, several MT3, and an MG set, and have tried SA [sculpted] at meet-ups.

Of all those, I think MG is the most comfortable and practical. I have MG Monster on a Tester 68 with a variant of Durock Medium Tactile, and it all works surprisingly well.

Haven't tested MG at all typing angles, or with all boards. But I find less risk of banging into an upper row when moving rows with MG than with MT3. I think MT3 has the problem you referred to, but it is less pronounced for me with MG.

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:40:35 »
Yea, I highly recommend picking up a cheap AF SA set. If only for your education.

I own SA R3, several MT3, and an MG set, and have tried SA [sculpted] at meet-ups.

Of all those, I think MG is the most comfortable and practical. I have MG Monster on a Tester 68 with a variant of Durock Medium Tactile, and it all works surprisingly well.

Haven't tested MG at all typing angles, or with all boards. But I find less risk of banging into an upper row when moving rows with MG than with MT3. I think MT3 has the problem you referred to, but it is less pronounced for me with MG.

Yeah, but is AF SA identical to MG in terms of colors and top surface/profile?

Just look at those m***ers... mmm...

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:41:35 »
AF SA should, in theory, be identical.

But you don't have to worry about it. MG Monster:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004080422483.html

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 12:51:35 »

Why do they call them SA?

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 13:00:27 »
MG keycaps tend to be called SA on AliExpress for whatever reason. I doubt you'll find an MG Monster that's actually SA.

They tend to label keycaps after the original design they were derived from [SA, XDA, Cherry] even if the design being manufactured no longer fits that original concept. But it's a recognizable name that's close.

May also relate to AF SA, in that AF SA is a shorter 'SA,' and neither of which [AF SA, MG] are properly 'SA.' But 'SA' is big MG, 'AF SA' is small MG.

Offline phinix

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 14:39:27 »
MG keycaps tend to be called SA on AliExpress for whatever reason. I doubt you'll find an MG Monster that's actually SA.

They tend to label keycaps after the original design they were derived from [SA, XDA, Cherry] even if the design being manufactured no longer fits that original concept. But it's a recognizable name that's close.

May also relate to AF SA, in that AF SA is a shorter 'SA,' and neither of which [AF SA, MG] are properly 'SA.' But 'SA' is big MG, 'AF SA' is small MG.

Do you think these are actually manufactured by MG?
Why then people bought them for over $100, when these go for 1/3 of it here.

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 14:45:37 »
I haven't seen this profile before anywhere but having not used HiPro or SA before, I might try it out

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 19:37:04 »

That I don't know. But the fact that some people are using the identical [in colourway] MG sets together with AFSA keycaps on the same board, suggests to me that they are of comparable quality.

Do you think these are actually manufactured by MG?
Why then people bought them for over $100, when these go for 1/3 of it here.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 20:02:19 »

I believe this should be actually SA? This looks to be aifei SA based off the renders which is a legit dshot SA line they've started making over the past year.

Offline phinix

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 02:47:41 »

I believe this should be actually SA? This looks to be aifei SA based off the renders which is a legit dshot SA line they've started making over the past year.

Dude, could you please share a photo of your hhkb with those chicken caps? :)
I would like to see it.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 09:57:08 »

I would like to see it.
I have no recollection of such a board, but I do have this full brass wkl ciel that slightly matches up. currently waiting on gmk cluck and an actual hhkb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline phinix

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 10:24:28 »

I would like to see it.
I have no recollection of such a board, but I do have this full brass wkl ciel that slightly matches up. currently waiting on gmk cluck and an actual hhkb.
Show Image

Show Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aah, I see. I thought that one in your signature is actually hhkb :)