Author Topic: [IC] Sparta - Community feedback required  (Read 16001 times)

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

Re: [IC] Sparta - Community feedback required
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 14:22:41 »
Yeah not really feeling it without the gold. Have you considered going with JTK?

Agreed, it's not very Spartan without the gold imo

Well... we got what we asked for.  I'm in agreeance that your original vision of gold lettering is superior; thank you for providing that render to prove it.

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 26 December 2019, 19:10:53 »
I'd prefer SA or MT3 or KAT if you don't go with GMK.

I bought (and refunded) every GMK kit and I won't buy it if its not one of those four profiles.

And put gold back its awful without it.

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 02:05:31 »
I'd prefer SA or MT3 or KAT if you don't go with GMK.

I bought (and refunded) every GMK kit and I won't buy it if its not one of those four profiles.

And put gold back its awful without it.

If I don't go with GMK I think KAT is the most likely option,and don't worry about the gold it never left.This was a "test" render so to speak because a decent number of people asked for it to see if the contrast was better.

Offline sent-by-an-iPerson

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 05:37:52 »
Thanks for the new render. Not sure if it was clear, but there were two ideas about alt sets:

- red legends on existing white alphas for greater contrast (which is the new render you made)
- red alphas with gold legends (with gold on white mods) - basically an inversion of the base kit, as an alt. If it’s a possibility, that would be a cool render to see.

Regardless, the existing base kit is really great as is. Looking forward to the reissue.

Sent-by-an-iPerson using Tapatalk

Offline ivu

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 27 December 2019, 05:51:40 »
I think the idea for red base with gold legends alphas kit was to be added as an additional alternate for the white base alphas. Inversing the mods also will be too much imo.

Another idea... Moving the numpad to an additional kit might be worth it in order to reduce base price and make it more affordable. Based on popularity of 60, 65 and tkl which are dominating the market it is worth considering.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 December 2019, 06:01:28 by ivu »

Offline Calesinator

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 13:36:51 »
Personally, I thought the original Sparta design was/is perfect. I'd love/strongly prefer it to stay GMK, the gold text should also stay in my opinion.  I would say the biggest issues I/other people had with Sparta is that the GB itself felt very disorganized and not very committed to at times and the run time was badly placed as well as cancelled insanely prematurely. I personally like the Greek kit as is with both the mono and mixed options, and feel like it'll sell better with the merged Greek kits. If you ran the GB right now as it was previously, I'd buy about every kit.

Offline nsmk

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 15:08:33 »
Personally, I thought the original Sparta design was/is perfect. I'd love/strongly prefer it to stay GMK, the gold text should also stay in my opinion.  I would say the biggest issues I/other people had with Sparta is that the GB itself felt very disorganized and not very committed to at times and the run time was badly placed as well as cancelled insanely prematurely. I personally like the Greek kit as is with both the mono and mixed options, and feel like it'll sell better with the merged Greek kits. If you ran the GB right now as it was previously, I'd buy about every kit.

This. Bought in on all kits before it was cancelled.

Offline TheUpperStateOfMind

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 20:23:54 »
I think the set is about as perfect as it could get the way it is now with a minimal amount of kits for MOQ and great design. If I have the money for it whenever you decide to run the set again I would 100% go all in again for every kit + deskpad. Also, I see some people saying to ditch the mono greek alphas, I disagree with that. For me personally, the mono greek is the only reason I want the greek kit, I think it goes better with the theme of the set and I also just hate sublegends for the most part haha.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 20:49:14 »
I bought essentially every kit right when it was available for GB.

Honestly, I think it's closed way too early.
The biggest problem is due to visibility. I couldn't find any of the information regarding to the kit except Geekhack IC thread. It needs to be more visible throughout.

This is definitely one of those kit that will be most wanted after it shipped.

Offline fishinaspacesuit

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 00:26:59 »
I’d say keep it with GMK with the same kits, get more visibility by asking notable vendors and community members to spread the word via IG and Discord. Doing some collaborations with artisan makers or cable makers would help too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 06:22:41 »
Hello guys and thanks for all the feedback so far.So to address a couple of things.Working on the set has been tough for the past few months so sorry for the lack of updates so far.Now the majority of people would like to see the set return as a GMK set and to be completely honest I would love that too however doing that will require a lot of planning.Now as far as the kits go I will not add anything unless it's run in PBT and if the set it's going to run in GMK i'm thinking of cutting some novelties just to make the kit more affordable and i'm also thinking of working on the Greek kit again to lower the price.With that said running the set in GMK will require a significant amount of interest since many GMK sets are struggling at the moment,and to be fully transparent finding a vendor who is willing to run this and people who are willing to collab considering it failed in the past is going to be a challenge.

Offline Gondolindrim

• My GitHub
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:42:59 »
Hello guys and thanks for all the feedback so far.So to address a couple of things.Working on the set has been tough for the past few months so sorry for the lack of updates so far.Now the majority of people would like to see the set return as a GMK set and to be completely honest I would love that too however doing that will require a lot of planning.Now as far as the kits go I will not add anything unless it's run in PBT and if the set it's going to run in GMK i'm thinking of cutting some novelties just to make the kit more affordable and i'm also thinking of working on the Greek kit again to lower the price.With that said running the set in GMK will require a significant amount of interest since many GMK sets are struggling at the moment,and to be fully transparent finding a vendor who is willing to run this and people who are willing to collab considering it failed in the past is going to be a challenge.

I'm gonna be honest here. This set has a lot of personality and it's not for everyone; the "meta" now is a set with plain colors and hiragana alphas. These days the recipe for a keyset is getting two colors that make a nice contrast -- one of those generally being black or white --, making a base kit with inverted mods, novelties and a japanese sub-legends kit. To be even more honest I'm really baffled as to why such GMK sets are making such huge sums of buys because I'm quite bored of GMK (set name here) with hiragana sublegends and the community has shown in streams like TopClack, MoD, OtC, Apiary that I'm not the only one. Then again, they look nice and all, and I'm sure the designers/runners put a lot of work on them, but it's been almost an year now that we have three of these per month. SA and DSA are really scarce; the high-profile lovers have only MT3 to get and since it's exclusive to Drop we have only a handful of sets like Godspeed and dev/tty.

That being said, I reiterate: I'd jump in this in a heartbeat and I have turned other keysets down just to save money for Sparta. I think it has already been cited in the thread before, but there are lots of options you could try -- KAT, KAM, SA, DSA, MT3, the latter being owned by Drop, but since Susuwatari they have the capability of doubleshotting MT3 so why not consider?
« Last Edit: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:45:38 by Gondolindrim »
A pessimist will tell you the cup is half empty. An optimist will tell you the cup is half full. An engineer will tell you it's exactly twice the size it needs to be.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 10:56:17 »
I'll throw my vote in for mt3 with Drop. You could reach more people with Drop. I'm also hoping for Boardwalk compatibility. I really like the theme of this set.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 11:46:06 »
Before they can run a second set in doubleshot MT3, Drop's going to have to get everything working and actually produce MT3 Susuwatari.  That still hasn't happened and is still at least months away.

Offline Rilow

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 15:12:52 »
I really like this set, but as long as it's GMK it's gonna be a no from me.

Offline Calesinator

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 17:58:34 »
In my opinion, ditch the Rama cap, condense novelties if you have to although I love the ones you have, promote the CRAP out of it to get it out there, and I suppose run a secondary Strawpoll/whathaveya to get the greek kit down to either mono or mixed only (mono pls). But as I said earlier, I had already ordered basically every kit by the time the GB was cancelled, so Im not who you need to convince

Offline midnatwili

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 18:17:52 »
Yeah not really feeling it without the gold. Have you considered going with JTK?

I agree, without the golden color, it's not Greek or having the Spartan army theme anymore. I really love the original set, just don't know why it didn't not hit MOQ

Offline TheUpperStateOfMind

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 19:33:24 »
If you're not confident the set will do well with GMK then I would definitely say KAT has my vote as the replacement. Plus, and someone pls correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't KAT make it so that there is only one MOQ and then everything is made and shipped instead of every kit needing to hit its own MOQ?

Offline ivu

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 20 February 2020, 15:17:21 »
Any update on the current status?

Offline Obstsalatjaa

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 21 February 2020, 20:49:55 »
Your poll should be updated. With an option: "Either GMK or KAT...both fine", something like this. Giving this another shot is the way to go. I dont enjoy 90% of keysets on market. But this is special.

Offline Ac1221

« Reply #70 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 03:08:50 »
rerun with gmk

Offline crusader_alex

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 07:09:26 »
Yep,sorry for the lack of updates,exam season was rough lol.I have good news however.I have decided to rerun the set (in GMK). I am currently trying to figure out how to go about it though.I will most likely be posting an update soon-ish.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Offline fishinaspacesuit

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 07:13:42 »
This is amazing news!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline senryo

• Problems are challenges.
    • Thic Thock
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 23 February 2020, 12:00:00 »
Yep,sorry for the lack of updates,exam season was rough lol.I have good news however.I have decided to rerun the set (in GMK). I am currently trying to figure out how to go about it though.I will most likely be posting an update soon-ish.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

great news, thanks!

Offline Obstsalatjaa

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 21:15:42 »
Any Updates ?

Offline Eddie_Caps

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 00:19:03 »
I'm excited this is going to be run again in GMK. Definite must buy for me! 

Offline Zenith10010

« Reply #76 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 07:23:48 »
Really happy to see this is coming back as GMK. Really hope you don't slim the novelties down, they really make the kit. I will likely be in for base,novelties and one of those sweet deskmats. Looking forward to the GB.