Author Topic: Fixing KBC Poker stabilizer  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Mainian

Fixing KBC Poker stabilizer
« on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 14:57:21 »
Hey guys, I broke a stabilizer on the 'E' key of my KBC Poker a few months ago and haven't been using it.

I thought it was a solder joint, but when I took it apart on Friday I saw that it was the stabilizer.

Does anyone know how to fix one of these? I've never done anything internally to any of my keyboards so far.

Google hasn't really helped.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Fixing KBC Poker stabilizer
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 15:02:19 »
I'm not really sure what you mean by "stabilizer." What we call stabilizers are only on the spacebar, shifts, enter, and backspace. Can you post a picture.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Mainian

Re: Fixing KBC Poker stabilizer
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 16:02:15 »
Derp. That's right. I'm refering to one of the mounting joints I guess. It is on the backside of the PCB.  I'll try to take a picture when I have time to pull it apart later tonight.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 16:08:05 »
Picture will tell all.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 20:40:24 »
Picture will tell all.

http://postimage.org/image/b8kmj8kmv/

Link with blue circle around what's broken.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 20:43:38 »
Picture will tell all.

I wouldn't worry about it. That's just a pin used to make sure the switch is mounted correctly on the PCB.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Mainian

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 20:47:13 »
Picture will tell all.

I wouldn't worry about it. That's just a pin used to make sure the switch is mounted correctly on the PCB.

Lol.. I'm aware. It's causing typing issues with the E. Can I simply fix it by gluing it or something? I don't know what glue / hot glue would do to a PCB.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 21:29:18 »
I believe that you may have an issue with that switch. The hole you are trying to fix requires no fixing. The PCB looks just fine. That hole, as Beast said, is for alignment. Perhaps replace the switch.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:04:15 »
I believe that you may have an issue with that switch. The hole you are trying to fix requires no fixing. The PCB looks just fine. That hole, as Beast said, is for alignment. Perhaps replace the switch.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into buying one (probably gonna have to buy some though ... considering how people sell them).

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:20:14 »
I'll send you a free PCB mount switch. Just PM me your address, and what type of switch (i.e. Black, Red, Blue, Brown).
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:25:00 »
Do you know how to solder, first?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 February 2013, 22:27:01 »
Mainian, so you have equipment to desolder and solder? It's pointless if jdcarpe sends you switches when you can't even change them out. For now, just open up that bad switch and verify that the contact point is bad first.

And from your pic, it looks like it wasn't even soldered in correctly. The large round plastic part doesn't even go all the way through that PCB hole.

Offline Mainian

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 09:26:24 »
Mainian, so you have equipment to desolder and solder? It's pointless if jdcarpe sends you switches when you can't even change them out. For now, just open up that bad switch and verify that the contact point is bad first.

And from your pic, it looks like it wasn't even soldered in correctly. The large round plastic part doesn't even go all the way through that PCB hole.

Do you know how to solder, first?

Yeah, I have access to the equipment. I haven't soldered in years, but I have friends who have been doing it all throughout senior design.

Additionally, this is from a retailer and I've done nothing with the board besides take it apart to take the pictures.

I'll send you a free PCB mount switch. Just PM me your address, and what type of switch (i.e. Black, Red, Blue, Brown).

Thanks man! PM sent. It is a black switch.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 February 2013, 09:29:54 by Mainian »

Offline Mainian

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:27:05 »
Question for anyone that knows.

Was talking to a friend today about desoldering the old key. Should I use an air gun or a desoldering tip? I'm an engineering student with access to electronics labs. So if you have any other suggestion, I might be able to do it

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:34:35 »
Not air.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 11:45:55 »

Was talking to a friend today about desoldering the old key. Should I use an air gun or a desoldering tip? I'm an engineering student with access to electronics labs. So if you have any other suggestion, I might be able to do it

Use hot air to desolder if you want your plastic switches to go into a complete nuclear meltdown, and your keyboard will explode with the energy of 1000 supernovas, and afterwards the universe will collapse on itself.

In other words, just a standard iron with pump or wick braid  ;)

Offline Mainian

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:00:29 »

Use hot air to desolder if you want your plastic switches to go into a complete nuclear meltdown, and your keyboard will explode with the energy of 1000 supernovas, and afterwards the universe will collapse on itself.

In other words, just a standard iron with pump or wick braid  ;)

Thanks, we were going to go with the air gun... :(