Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 614394 times)

Offline Tactile

Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #1450 on: Fri, 23 September 2016, 23:45:46 »
I found Yast entirely too comprehensive and powerful for my OS administration needs.

So many times back when it was just SuSE linux I would goof things up by confusing YAST. I had just come over from Red Hat & was used to doing things manually. So, when there was a config I wanted to change I'd (completely without thinking) just roll up my sleeves, edit a file or two, and go on down the road.

Then, some time later, I'd pull up YAST to do something and it would throw a hissy fit because some of the config files it used & monitored had been modified outside of YAST.
REΛLFORCE

Offline kekstee

« Reply #1451 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 13:48:06 »
Laptop & Server: exherbo
Desktop: Arch

Parents PC I don't have an eye on constantly: Fedora... something. Probably time for another dist-upgrade again.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1452 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 16:54:01 »

I know that OpenSUSE tried to make a bigger play for a more casual computer user

but I think the OS needs more refinements to make inroads with the casual user.

I also had some of the wireless connection issues that you have mentioned in your posts.

If OpenSUSE wants to attract casual users, they need to encourage the "gurus" on their forum to not be such epically smug arrogant condescending *******s. I tried to get help on several issues, and generally followed the unspoken rules of being polite, setting the context of the question and the situation where help was needed, and thanking those who helped me.

Of a couple of dozen people who I interacted with over a couple of months' period, there were about 2 who were actually "nice" but not necessarily all that helpful, and quite a few who responded to my questions as if I had invited them to lambast and insult me, without even offering any sort of help. Or cryptic partial/incomplete "answers" that would only be intelligible to an insider.

And worst, some of my problems, such as connectivity issues (wired and wireless) were simply ignored altogether. The whole reason that I selected OpenSUSE was because it seemed to be deeply ingrained in servers and such, so I assumed that help and support in connectivity would be forthcoming.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline wsaile

« Reply #1453 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 17:02:42 »
Debian and Arch.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1454 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 17:24:20 »

I know that OpenSUSE tried to make a bigger play for a more casual computer user

but I think the OS needs more refinements to make inroads with the casual user.

I also had some of the wireless connection issues that you have mentioned in your posts.

If OpenSUSE wants to attract casual users, they need to encourage the "gurus" on their forum to not be such epically smug arrogant condescending *******s. I tried to get help on several issues, and generally followed the unspoken rules of being polite, setting the context of the question and the situation where help was needed, and thanking those who helped me.

Of a couple of dozen people who I interacted with over a couple of months' period, there were about 2 who were actually "nice" but not necessarily all that helpful, and quite a few who responded to my questions as if I had invited them to lambast and insult me, without even offering any sort of help. Or cryptic partial/incomplete "answers" that would only be intelligible to an insider.

And worst, some of my problems, such as connectivity issues (wired and wireless) were simply ignored altogether. The whole reason that I selected OpenSUSE was because it seemed to be deeply ingrained in servers and such, so I assumed that help and support in connectivity would be forthcoming.

From what I've read in Debian/Ubuntu/Arch forums what you're describing is pretty common. A new user asks a question and the first response is either something like "thread closed - question has been asked previously by another user" or "your question is incorrect and here is why.." I guess there are a lot of people out there that are frustrated regarding the massive amounts of users that install Linux simply because it is free rather than wanting to get their hands dirty.

My first Linux OS was Linux Mint (Mate) back in 2013 so I'm not exactly a Guru myself. Once I find a few extra HDD/SSD I'll install Distrowatch.com's #1 once again simply because of Ubuntu's (and Ubuntu fans) massive repository. I try to download the large ISOs options to avoid as many driver issues as humanly possible /shrug

Four months of Debian atm. I feel like I'm years behind all other distros but at least I'm not downloading updates that break my packages

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1455 on: Sat, 24 September 2016, 18:44:31 »

From what I've read in Debian/Ubuntu/Arch forums what you're describing is pretty common. A new user asks a question and the first response is either something like "thread closed - question has been asked previously by another user" or "your question is incorrect and here is why ..."

Back around 2010, when I started in on Ubuntu, I actually found the proper Ubuntu forum to be quite good.

Connectivity issues are particularly perplexing and frustrating when you need help online. I was out of town on a 3-month project living in a hotel with a brand-new laptop that I could not get connected (it worked fine under Windows 7).

An instruction like: "show the results of "x" command" involved things like screenshots to flash drives, re-booting to Windows, etc, etc. Absurd kludge level frustration.

But yes,

"something like "thread closed - question has been asked previously by another user"

or

"your question is incorrect and here is why ..."

are prompts to go postal.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1456 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 09:15:16 »
Okay, so you're actually complaining about normal *technical* troubleshooting? Good to know, because…
An instruction like: "show the results of "x" command" involved things like screenshots to flash drives, re-booting to Windows, etc, etc. Absurd kludge level frustration.
…is n00b level 9000.

Been there, done that. Back when I was stuck with a winmodem in 2005-2006. I'm deeply ashamed of some garbage I posted as questions back then.

Offline bullfiniche

• I wanna be your STD!
« Reply #1457 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 09:43:06 »
I've used many. At work, there is Redhat, Solaris (I fecking HATE Solaris!), CentOS and even Ubuntu.

At home, at the moment I'm using Deepin.  Pretty nice OS. Before that, it was Antergos and even before that, pure Arch.

I would install Deepen or Antergos at work if I could.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1458 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 10:20:59 »
Okay, so you're actually complaining about normal *technical* troubleshooting? Good to know, because…
…is n00b level 9000.

Been there, done that. Back when I was stuck with a winmodem in 2005-2006. I'm deeply ashamed of some garbage I posted as questions back then.

I am not sure what you are saying, but what else can you do if you can't connect?

My frustration was when I felt like the "advisers" were simply watching me jump through hoops for their own sadistic entertainment. If my efforts are rewarded with answers, then I have no problem, but the majority of the time after giving them what they asked for, they simply went dark. On the OpenSUSE forum, that is. On the Ubuntu forum people seemed genuinely concerned and helpful.

Perhaps my questions were not polished, but they were real and realistic. Perhaps today I might be "embarrassed" that I did not yet "get" some obvious things, but everybody has to start somewhere.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #1459 on: Sun, 25 September 2016, 12:16:00 »
I am not sure what you are saying, but what else can you do if you can't connect?
Command output is *text*, thus copy it into a text file instead of making screenshots, if nothing else. A camera is useful for dealing with kernel panics, but that's not the deal here.

From a different perspective, I would also recommend virtualization (esp. in 2010) for getting familiar with the system… and a shared disk partition.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1460 on: Wed, 28 September 2016, 22:35:20 »
Finally resized my Debian/Gnome partition to make way for Linux Mint/Cinnamon. glmark2 score doubled but I'm not surprised. And I really like the workspace features of cinnamon

Offline Happylomo

« Reply #1461 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 08:19:04 »
I'm running ubuntu 16.04 on my old dell e4300  ;D

Offline chancellorr

« Reply #1462 on: Tue, 04 October 2016, 23:39:37 »
Linux Mint user here.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #1463 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 08:34:43 »
Linux Mint user here.

Another Linux Mint user here. However:

I switch from their main distro to the Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), which is based on Debian.
Have to wait for something like 2 years for the LMDE 3 to come out.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1464 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 08:47:50 »
Traded out my Debian Gnome partition for Windows 10 because I'm a traitor. I still have the Linux Mint Cinnamon partition, though. I actually think I'm set for cloning for when I build a new pc

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1465 on: Thu, 27 October 2016, 16:14:41 »
Linux Mint user here.

Another Linux Mint user here. However:

I switch from their main distro to the Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE), which is based on Debian.
Have to wait for something like 2 years for the LMDE 3 to come out.

As someone who uses both Mint (cinnamon) and Debian (openbox), LMDE looks quite nice. However, one of the reasons I use mint over Debian on some of my boxes is because I need the newer kernel for hardware support, and LMDE doesn't provide that out of the box.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Altis

« Reply #1466 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 18:44:30 »
I've been looking for a decent lightweight distro to run as a VM over OSX on my 2010 MacBook Pro (dual-core i5, 8GB RAM). Priorities are performance, reliability, and software availability.

Right now I've settled on Linux Lite as it works very nicely so far, having no problems at all. It doesn't seem to have a software center like Ubuntu, on which it's based, though... this makes it a bit more difficult for a nub such as myself.

I did try Lubuntu as it's even more lightweight with LXDE but it had problems as a VM due to having 2 monitors.

I still use ChaletOS sometimes as it's really pleasant to use.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1467 on: Sat, 05 November 2016, 19:13:31 »
I've been looking for a decent lightweight distro to run as a VM over OSX on my 2010 MacBook Pro (dual-core i5, 8GB RAM). Priorities are performance, reliability, and software availability.

Right now I've settled on Linux Lite as it works very nicely so far, having no problems at all. It doesn't seem to have a software center like Ubuntu, on which it's based, though... this makes it a bit more difficult for a nub such as myself.

I did try Lubuntu as it's even more lightweight with LXDE but it had problems as a VM due to having 2 monitors.

I still have my Linux Lite live cd. That distro would be so amazing on a usb 3.0 flash drive. Linux Lite loads amazingly fast on an older computer like the one I have! Even the Live cd loads quickly on my pc! The distro logo is not so bad as well

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1468 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 00:04:24 »
I did some battery testing on various distros a while back, what I found was that most were pretty similar. Despite being "lite" or low resource" they rarely did much better than Ubuntu or Mint with Cinnamon (which are actually quite well optimized). These numbers are a couple months old, I no longer even have the laptop so please do not ask for more tests.

Method:
Tests were done using TOP which isn't a perfect way to get accurate numbers, but I did run the tests 3 times for consistency so numbers may not match real world numbers 1 for 1, they do still tell a tale.

Warning:
If you are going to read this, please read my comments as well, if you only look at the data itself, you will get an incomplete view and draw some incorrect conclusions. The summary at the end is especially important.

TL:DR Read the summary at the bottom

System:
Lenovo X220, 2nd gen Core I5, 16gb ram(?), stock 320 hard dive, bluetooth, with IPS screen

Windows 8.1 @ minimum brighness
Out of the box 10 watts
Lenovo Power management brought it down to 9.8 watts
With an SSD and heavy tweaking I got it down to 6.8 watts.

Out of box wattage use with no power optimizations…
 LXDE  (low power Ubuntu)  - - - - - - - - - 11.3   (I think this was Lubuntu)
Apricity  with Cinnamon (Arch distro)  - - 11.3
Mint Cinnamon - - - - - -  - - -  - - -  - - - -  - -12.3

With TLP and Intel Pstate
LXDE   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 11.6  (actually went up!)
Apricity - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - 11.3  (change was within what I considered margin of error)
Mint Cinnamon - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 9.95  (largest drop) 

With more tweaking and an SSD I got Mint down to 6.8, putting it on par with Windows 8.1
Yes, these are idle numbers, however, real world use the battery life was about 90% of Windows 8.1, which is rare in a Linux laptop, a bit more tuning and I bet I could get it even closer. On the stock 6 cell battery, I could get between 4 and 5 hours, and with the extended 9 cell I could almost reach 9 hours. Remember, this is a 5 year old laptop that weighs under 3 pounds and has a full power I5 processor, not a U series. It can hold its own with modern U series processors. For a total investment of about $300, it's a cheap, workhorse Linux machine.

Strangely, Intel pstate loves PCs and hates Macs, I think usage of it actually interferes with the internal power management or something. Basically if you want to run Linux on mac, research as it's just not quite the same as on a PC and what you do can backfire.

Notes on Peripherals
Sdcard used 0.1 watts
Bluetooth consumed less than 0.1 watt
Logitech Unifying Receiver (older model) 0.5 watt (I have yet to test the newer micro versioon)

This kind of shocked me. I expected bluetooth to be almost on par with the receiver.
 Advice, use Bluetooth instead of a receiver!

Various distro info
Distro  - - boot time min/sec - - - -  % cpu at idle - - - - memory at idle
Mate - - - - - 1:23 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  0-0.1 - - - - - - - - - - - 7.3%
XFCE - - - - -1:13 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 0-0.7 - - - - - - - - - - - 11.8%
LXQT - - - - -1:50 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 0-0.7 - - - - - - - - - - - 15%
Manjaro Arch Linux distros
KDE - - - - - - 0:21 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  0.7-2.0 - - - - - - - - - 12.7%   (very fast for some reason)
Cinnamon - 0:22 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 2-2.5 - - - - - - - - - - 14.7%   (Before installing all updates)
Cinnamon - 1:34 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 1.4-2.3 - - - - - - - - - - 14.7%   (not sure why the huge change after updates, CPU load dropped, boot time increased)
Budgie - - -  1:32 - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  0.7-2.0 - - - - - - - - - 12.7%     (didn't see if there was a difference before vs after updates)

Nope, not typos!
These numbers are all over the place, however idle is not where you drain your battery, it's when you are under load. So what's the point of these numbers? To prove that they are all over the place and that you shouldn't assume anything.

Regarding memory... You want to use it to make the system fast and efficient, so don't assume it using more ram is a bad thing. By this I mean if using 3% more ram for the system results in a 10% speed increase on every app you run, that's a good tradeoff, whereas if lowering system memory use by 2% causes every app to run 10% slower, did you really make it more efficient?  How it's used is far more important than how much is used, however a lot of people equate using more as instantly meaning less efficient and it's simply not true.

Note regarding Manjaro:  Despite saying not to assume anything, I can assure you, a true Arch install with Cinnamon would run better/more consistent than Manjaro did here (If you did it right!). I used Manjaro because it made for an easy way to test various desktop environments on Arch quickly and I thought consistently, however, it's obvious not all are created equal. This is not meant to criticize or disparage Manjaro or its users, these are just the numbers I recorded at the time.  It's a good way to try Arch, which can be a bear to install, and may have just been a fluke. Regardless, if you love it, by all means keep using it.

Summary, so what does this all mean?
While these do give an indication as to how efficient the underlying OS runs, they tell a very incomplete story, the reason for that is optimization. Looking at these numbers you would think that Mate or another older environment would be the lightest to use, and that's true, at idle and if you're building a file server, it makes a great choice. Where things get dicey is when you need to render something like a web page or video, at which newer protocols and optimizations actually make Gnome3 and the like more efficient, IF you have a newer processor that supports them.

My advice, if you have and an older system such as an Atom powered netbook or a VM without VT, sure, use Mate or LXDE. the processor is too old and slow to really take advantage of newer protocols and optimizations so it's going to use extra cpu to browse and watch video. However, if you have a newer processor/video card, use a newer desktop environment and take advantage of those optimizations as they can actually consume less battery than those older environments when doing more cpu intensive tasks.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Altis

« Reply #1469 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 11:07:51 »

I still have my Linux Lite live cd. That distro would be so amazing on a usb 3.0 flash drive. Linux Lite loads amazingly fast on an older computer like the one I have! Even the Live cd loads quickly on my pc! The distro logo is not so bad as well

The latest release (3.2) is very quick and attractive. It runs well on only 2-3 GB of RAM so it works on my old MBP with only 8 GB of RAM (OS X is a resource hog IMO).

With no applications open, it uses around 250-300 MB of RAM.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1470 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 17:29:04 »
Today I installed the new Linux Mint 18 compatible low latency kernel/headers. I'll test it for the next week or so but so far a lot of my audio artifacts are gone. We'll see

edit (Nov. 17, 2016) - Yep. That actually solved my artifacting problem :)

edit (Dec. 22, 2016) - A month into low latency kernel usage. Still ok
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 December 2016, 14:19:33 by csmertx »

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1471 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 20:57:50 »
hm, still using void here. never had a distro work so well and make me not want to touch anything else since the old rc days of arch and pre-systemd debian :O
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline danwomansan

• Also known by my real name, ********!
« Reply #1472 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 22:13:52 »
arch with xfce
it's pronounced "danw omansen", not "dan woman san"

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1473 on: Sun, 13 November 2016, 10:07:05 »
hm, still using void here. never had a distro work so well and make me not want to touch anything else since the old rc days of arch and pre-systemd debian :O

Void, ftw.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1474 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 22:28:30 »
Shout out to everyone talking about Mint  with Cinnamon, this is pretty sweet.

Offline iri

« Reply #1475 on: Thu, 17 November 2016, 07:20:51 »
It's not that it's sweet, it just works fine. And has decent 4K integration.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline armatus

• Ergodox'n'Colemak
« Reply #1476 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 09:39:01 »
my wife use LMDE - rock stable as debian, usability of mint

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1477 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 10:42:23 »
Looking for help.

Decent but aging Acer laptop dual-booting Windows 10 (upgrade from factory Windows 7 install) and Mint 18/Cinnamon.

It has worked perfectly since my last major upgrade a few months ago, but now it will not boot into Mint.

It almost gets there, but then it tells me that Cinnamon has crashed. Regardless of where I try to go from there, it hangs dead until I shut it down with the power button.

Booting into Windows works properly, and grub seems to be doing its job.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #1478 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 11:18:57 »
my wife use LMDE - rock stable as debian, usability of mint

I still prefer XFCE, always have. It is SO friggin' fast and got everything you need from a DM.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1479 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 13:59:32 »
Looking for help.

Decent but aging Acer laptop dual-booting Windows 10 (upgrade from factory Windows 7 install) and Mint 18/Cinnamon.

It has worked perfectly since my last major upgrade a few months ago, but now it will not boot into Mint.

It almost gets there, but then it tells me that Cinnamon has crashed. Regardless of where I try to go from there, it hangs dead until I shut it down with the power button.

Booting into Windows works properly, and grub seems to be doing its job.

Since it's a laptop, I assume it's two partitions on the same drive?

Have you tried switching over to tty after booting mint? ctrl-alt-f1 should get you to a shell that would at least allow some troubleshooting.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1480 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:27:47 »
Sounds familiar...
Did you happen to update yesterday and what level are you using for updates?
Default is level 3 for Mint Update, apt update is level 4, experimental/testing is level 5.

I know upstream there is a bug that causes this, but I'm not sure it's even in the Mint/Ubuntu repos yet. If it is, it would be level 5.
Here is the bug.
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/51818
If it does sound familiar, let me know, their solutions are either bad (rolling back) or incomplete (lacking specifics because they assume you know).
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1481 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:29:30 »

Since it's a laptop, I assume it's two partitions on the same drive?

Have you tried switching over to tty after booting mint? ctrl-alt-f1 should get you to a shell that would at least allow some troubleshooting.

Yes, 2 partitions on a single hard drive.

Mint will not boot.

Before I ever get an opportunity to do anything, I get the "Cinnamon has crashed" screen with something like "Do you want to go to fallback mode: yes or no?" and the computer is dead at that point. Neither "yes" nor "no" produces any response at all.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1482 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 16:36:23 »

Did you happen to update yesterday and what level are you using for updates?
Default is level 3 for Mint Update, apt update is level 4, experimental/testing is level 5.

No, I am a "Plain Jane" user and only want stable releases. There was an 18 to 18.1 update for Mint a while back that I did, but I am pretty sure that it has been working properly since then.

I use Windows 10 at least half the time on the laptop, and when I feel like updating Mint (about once every 2 weeks or less unless something comes up) I use "update" and sometimes "dist-upgrade" so maybe that nabbed a more experimental level than I was expecting.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1483 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 17:17:29 »
Using Apt upgrade and dist-upgrade is level4, which Mint considers unsafe, keep in mind, they're definition of unsafe is VERY different than Microsoft's but could be where the trouble came from.

Give me a few minutes and I will check and see if mine suffers the same fate.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1484 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 17:58:07 »
The only thing I saw today was a firmware update.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1485 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 18:24:11 »
I guess you're not able to enter into a tty session? I avoid level 5 and install level 1-4 pretty much when they're available.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1486 on: Sun, 20 November 2016, 19:18:58 »

Using Apt upgrade and dist-upgrade is level4,

Holy cow! I did not know that.

I might just re-install, I can survive the loss of whatever little is there.
I rarely keep anything of real importance on the laptop only.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #1487 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 09:29:06 »
I tried ubuntu and it was nice but I didn't like the lack of progams. I  dual booted on an old computer of mine but I gave up after lack of programs. At work I'm forced to use chrome os.
hi.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1488 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 15:59:15 »
Actually, Linux may not have as much, but what it does have is often comparable and sometimes better than Windows.

The problem is your familiarity with windows, you would have the same problem had you switched to Mac. So why don't you hear Mac users complain?  Because Mac users didn't have the option of switching back to Windows to make things easy, it was sink or swim. With Linux, it's easy to just give up after a quick search and boot back into Windows to get the job done, so you never had to dig deep and actually learn where to find these programs. I did this, as have most people who tried Linux, it's human nature, we stick to what we know.

Besides top tier games (it has plenty of games, just not new top tier),  I've only found one place Linux truly lacks compared to Windows, and that is Cad programs. Mac only has slightly better CAD support, but what it gains in CAD it gives up in 3d printing support.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #1489 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 16:00:30 »
Actually, Linux may not have as much, but what it does have is often comparable and sometimes better than Windows.

The problem is your familiarity with windows, you would have the same problem had you switched to Mac. So why don't you hear Mac users complain?  Because Mac users didn't have the option of switching back to Windows to make things easy, it was sink or swim. With Linux, it's easy to just give up after a quick search and boot back into Windows to get the job done, so you never had to dig deep and actually learn where to find these programs. I did this, as have most people who tried Linux, it's human nature, we stick to what we know.

Besides top tier games (it has plenty of games, just not new top tier),  I've only found one place Linux truly lacks compared to Windows, and that is Cad programs. Mac only has slightly better CAD support, but what it gains in CAD it gives up in 3d printing support.

Youre right.
hi.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1490 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 19:08:34 »

i say this as a dedicated and experienced linux user - dedicated bitmap graphics manipulation and audio recording are also definitely not up to par on linux. i keep a macOS machine around pretty specifically for photoshop and logic pro. yes, there are OPTIONS for linux but still nothing that comes close to professional bitmap graphics or daw software available for macOS or windows.

and yeah i have spent many hours using gimp productively but anybody who argues that gimp is comparable to photoshop hasn't used either enough to convince me.
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 November 2016, 19:10:09 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #1491 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 19:34:33 »

i say this as a dedicated and experienced linux user - dedicated bitmap graphics manipulation and audio recording are also definitely not up to par on linux. i keep a macOS machine around pretty specifically for photoshop and logic pro. yes, there are OPTIONS for linux but still nothing that comes close to professional bitmap graphics or daw software available for macOS or windows.

and yeah i have spent many hours using gimp productively but anybody who argues that gimp is comparable to photoshop hasn't used either enough to convince me.

What are your thoughts on Inkscape? I know that as far as brushes and plugins go there's no contest between Gimp/Photoshop.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1492 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 19:35:24 »

What are your thoughts on Inkscape? I know that as far as brushes and plugins go there's no contest between Gimp/Photoshop.

i dont really have any experience with vector graphics, but i have heard good things about inkscape (better comparisons to illustrator than gimp to photoshop).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1493 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 23:37:10 »

I totally agree with you, my point was just that it's not the wasteland it can appear to be.
Gimp drives me insane, but I do know people who actually do incredibly well with it (I run Photoshop through Wine). I've heard good things about Krita, but I believe it's geared more towards drawing than photo manipulation.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1494 on: Thu, 24 November 2016, 07:57:09 »

Gimp drives me insane,

I have gotten used to Gimp and like it pretty well (the un-re-learning curve was difficult) but occasionally I run into something completely retarded.

Recently, for example, I (re-) discovered that a simple "photomerge" of splicing a panorama of 3 photos side-by-side is a heartbreaking nightmare kludge.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1495 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 13:01:32 »
Interesting development in the openSUSE world that I completely missed.  Some folks have attempted to make openSUSE a little more user friendly with Gecko Linux.   I welcome this development, because stock openSUSE seems to always have some annoying problems for the average user.

https://distrowatch.com/table-mobile.php?distribution=gecko

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #1496 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 19:50:19 »
I've been trying Fedora 25 in a VM recently.

Reasonably nice, performs very well, good selection of software available.

Bit there are hundreds of MB of updates every few days (including kernels that require a reboot), and the yum command has been replaced by dnf with subtly different options.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Steinberg2010

« Reply #1497 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 22:09:48 »
Arch - Pacman all the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1498 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 07:00:02 »
I've been trying Fedora 25 in a VM recently.

Reasonably nice, performs very well, good selection of software available.

Bit there are hundreds of MB of updates every few days (including kernels that require a reboot), and the yum command has been replaced by dnf with subtly different options.

for some reason i was under the impression that fedora didn't update that often because of their aggressive release schedule. but i have never really used it unless it was already installed on a machine i was temporarily using.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1499 on: Fri, 23 December 2016, 19:15:42 »
So I got one of those convertible laptop things.  I tried out Unity, GNOME, and KDE for their touchscreen functionality.  GNOME actually does a pretty good job for touchscreen functionality if you add a few extensions.  I never thought I would say this, but GNOME isn't that bad.