Author Topic: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?  (Read 614325 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: What Linux Distro do the Linux users of GH use?
« Reply #2300 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 01:15:49 »
Debian is remarkable with a bleeding edge Linux kernel.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2301 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 22:07:58 »
Tried Devuan for fun (basically Debian but without systemd) but... Trial ran short when I tried to install Docker CE and ran into issues. I'm a big Docker user (my workstation runs ****load of Docker containers) so that experiment didn't last long.

Just installed Debian Buster (it's not stable yet but should be Real Soon Now [TM]) on my new NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 lanes SSD (Samsung 970 EVO Plus) and it rocks even more than my old setup. Only package I couldn't get to work is "subuser" but I take it this may be because Buster ain't in "stable" status yet.
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2302 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 04:19:58 »
Yep, it's interesting to note that Ubuntu LTS syncs with Debian testing, and non-lts syncs with Debian unstable (currently Sid).  Some folks will urgue that EXT4 is still unproven even though Google and Ubuntu upgraded from EXT2 to EXT4 nearly ten years ago.  Must have been a nightmare to use EXT2 as a backbone for Google servers.  I'd imagine they had some kind of internal file system logging.  Though it probably goes without saying that EXT2 makes for a decent USB based file system.  What I dislike as a Debian desktop user is that without testing I couldn't use a flatbed scanner.  Once I upgraded to testing I could actually.. test things. And with a fresh 5.1.x kernel compiled with 4.19 configurations (default debug off--I'm not a kernel developer) and default all new options I can say the graphical performance for Radeon with Debian testing can be nearly a match for Arch or Fedora.  Granted I've only found solid ground with this setup using XFCE4 and i3wm.  KDE should be fine, Kwin appears to recover gracefully when compared to Mutter (gnome 3).  I've gotta say though, for several months I've used bleeding edge Gnome 3 with vanilla Arch without needing to bail out to another tty session because of freeze ups.  I had to do that a bunch back in 2016 with Debian stable, not my idea of a good time.  I'd wager that was just Gnome 3 doing Gnome 3 things.  Anyway, could be all the stability comes from the special Ubuntu LTS sauce; I have a sneaking suspicion that Debian Testing (currently Buster) is just as stable as Ubuntu LTS.  Not that I'd trust anything said on a KB forum with a $20k+ 44u rack decision.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2303 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 08:01:46 »
Not that I'd trust anything said on a KB forum with a $20k+ 44u rack decision.

Just to be clear: I never implied Debian Buster was ready to be deployed on production servers at the moment ; )
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2304 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 14:51:29 »
Not that I'd trust anything said on a KB forum with a $20k+ 44u rack decision.

Just to be clear: I never implied Debian Buster was ready to be deployed on production servers at the moment ; )

Talk about an out of context quote--the link I gleamed earlier shows a post from Popey, who (with some cursory Google foo) works for Canonical. Yet again I've no clue what's in the Ubuntu LTS special sauce, though LTS is in fact synced with Debian Testing (currently known as codename Buster--soon to be known as codename Sid).  I'd be curious to know the number of LTS production workstations vs everyday LTS production servers.  I not exactly sure what the cloud combatibility situatuion is with Debian.  I have one test Debain (testing or codename Buster) VM with LAMP stack/Nextcloud Docker containers up and running and managed with Cockpit (Arch host with KVM hyper), but never ran it through any kind of benchmarking.  Anyway, I'm rambling like an idiot again.  I really should check out some formal training, this Linux kernel thing is like LEGO technics without the messy cleanup :)

edit - Bullseye is the new codename for testing, not Sid. *shrugs*
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 July 2019, 10:47:24 by csmertx »

Offline coralof

« Reply #2305 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 11:21:17 »
Just found the Linux thread!  :cool: I've been using Debian Stable for a while now. When I first started using Linux in 2008, I started with Ubuntu 8.10, and continued using Ubuntu up until a year or two ago, when I switched to Debian after everything started getting infiltrated with snap packages on Ubuntu.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #2306 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 12:58:40 »
Tried Devuan for fun (basically Debian but without systemd) but... Trial ran short when I tried to install Docker CE and ran into issues. I'm a big Docker user (my workstation runs ****load of Docker containers)...

Devuan 2.0 user here

I'm only a basic Dock user - as long as there's a dock for my most frequent Apps.
And I'm a keyword-based Appfinder and launcher person, e.g. press Super+Spacebar and then "Fire..." to locate Firefox and then press just Enter to launch it.

What kind of Docker and Docker containers do you use?
What are the good characteristics that you like about them?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Mr.Elli0t

« Reply #2307 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:32:03 »
I primarily stick with Mint, but I've used Ubuntu, Qubes, Whonix, and from time-to-time will use Kali.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #2308 on: Tue, 16 July 2019, 08:48:21 »
I primarily stick with Mint, but I've used Ubuntu, Qubes, Whonix, and from time-to-time will use Kali.
Most of which are Debian-based!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline ilovecats

• Because Your Cat Needs You
« Reply #2309 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 08:57:51 »
At the moment, Ubuntu 19.04 via a VPS; I used to be a really big fan of Cygwin too.

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #2310 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 09:49:38 »
Long time Linux user here, started with Slackware somewhere around 2001.

I use Debian nowadays, because I'm lazy

LFS is still the best because I like to do everything my way (like package management), but I just can't keep up with security updates.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2311 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 16:55:33 »
Currently enjoying Arch with fresh Gnome 3.XX.X.  Arch on main since 2018-01-25, and Gnome since 2019-03-26 (i3-gaps/bspwm before that).  Still running nightly snapshots with borgbackup. 

Moved all gaming to Ubuntu 19.04 partition (steam/proton/deb compatibility).  Older laptop is running Debian Testing (bullseye) with custom compiled i3-gaps and i3blocks.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #2312 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 03:05:35 »
Currently enjoying Arch with fresh Gnome 3.XX.X.  Arch on main since 2018-01-25, and Gnome since 2019-03-26 (i3-gaps/bspwm before that).  Still running nightly snapshots with borgbackup. 

Moved all gaming to Ubuntu 19.04 partition (steam/proton/deb compatibility).  Older laptop is running Debian Testing (bullseye) with custom compiled i3-gaps and i3blocks.
Currently messing around with i3wm myself, boy do I love it.

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #2313 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 09:27:23 »
Try dwm
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #2314 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 10:47:46 »
Try TWM

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2315 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 11:43:38 »

Currently messing around with i3wm myself, boy do I love it.

Good stuff.  i3wm allows folks to go beyond video hardware maximum horizontal resolution in order to use all the pixels in multi-monitor setups.  Gnome 3 seems to limit based on video card max spec.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2316 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 21:59:19 »
I tried the new Debian in a VM, didn't quite work out as I hoped.

The start menu (for want of a better name) highlights each entry as the mouse moves over it, but making the menu entry slightly lighter.  Trouble is, it doesn't unhighlight it when the mouse moves on.  So after a few seconds of moving the mouse up and down on the menu the whole thing gradually turns bright white.

This could be a VirtualBox problem, or a Debian problem.  Probably the former.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2317 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:20:36 »

The start menu (for want of a better name) highlights each entry as the mouse moves over it, but making the menu entry slightly lighter.  Trouble is, it doesn't unhighlight it when the mouse moves on.  So after a few seconds of moving the mouse up and down on the menu the whole thing gradually turns bright white.

Debian Testing XFCE, i3wm, and Virtual Box paired with KVM hypervisor works for me.  With both built in kernels and custom latest stable kernels (plus arandr).  Adapta-Nokta GTK theme and Papirus Icon theme *whistles*

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2318 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:28:59 »

Debian Testing XFCE, i3wm, and Virtual Box paired with KVM hypervisor works for me.  With both built in kernels and custom latest stable kernels (plus arandr).  Adapta-Nokta GTK theme and Papirus Icon theme *whistles*

Cinnamon.

Probably should have said.

There's a VirtualBox update out too ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #2319 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 06:13:17 »
Ubuntu at home, latest version, mostly due to native Steam support. Since this is going to change, i'll probably change my distro too... I like the no-nonsense, no-headache approach of Ubuntu, everything works out of the box and without having to resort to command line - which is perfect for my parents PC :) (they love it, and it's zero maintenance)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2320 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 09:33:57 »

Cinnamon.

Probably should have said.

There's a VirtualBox update out too ...

Oh Cinnamon..  Heh, forgot about that one.  Good luck :)

Offline xeronu

• https://0w.nz
    • xero.nu
« Reply #2321 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 11:36:18 »
see attached...

details about my setup can be found here:
https://git.io/nord-scrot

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2322 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:49:35 »
Still running Debian on my servers, laptop and workstation (and still running Raspbian on my Raspberry Pi's).

I tried Devuan (the Debian fork without systemd) out of curiosity but couldn't make Docker work under Devuan and was kinda in a hurry so I threw the towel on Devuan for the moment. But when I get the time I may try it again.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #2323 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 16:51:49 »
see attached...

details about my setup can be found here:
https://git.io/nord-scrot

Ah "Nord" is such an elegant color theme. I use it as my Emacs theme (and I spend my life inside Emacs).

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #2324 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 09:02:00 »
Anyone know a good way to keep up with security updates in LFS? I know many uses Slackware changelog

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2325 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 11:13:24 »
Installed EndeavourOS on a whim yesterday.  The polish reminds me a little of Puppy Linux, while the operation reminds me of Arch with a nicely tricked out XFCE desktop (fork of Antergos--makes sense).

Anecdotal info aside, for a project that's existed for a few months they're already IMO close to a better install experience compared to Antergos.  No ZFS as root atm, but I did see manual partitioning options for: luks2, btrfs, xfs, ext4, lvm2, ntfs, etc.

Also: updated my test Antergos VM to see if they pushed out the last update that converts systems to vanilla Arch..  Not yet, info via Antergos forum points to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as the date for the conversion update.  Groovy.

Offline quadcube

« Reply #2326 on: Mon, 07 October 2019, 09:47:59 »
debian..rock solid stability

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2327 on: Sat, 19 October 2019, 02:28:09 »
Started running cbpp (CrunchBang++) in a VM at work for miscellaneous purposes.

So far so good - very fast, all the software I need, low resource usage.

I gave up on Ubuntu with MATE in a VM on the same host - it was just to abysmally slow.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #2328 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 23:30:07 »
I used to try everything for kicks (linux, bsd, unix, etc) but now I just install ubuntu LTS until it's out of support and upgrade.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline menuhin

« Reply #2329 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 03:59:25 »
Anyone know a good way to keep up with security updates in LFS? I know many uses Slackware changelog

Wow, you're one of those still doing this...?
I think this is perhaps your answer: https://serverfault.com/a/2098

I did something from source for the kernel and modules and some parts of the system in 1996-98 on my Laptop with a Pentium II processor.
I want an easier life, right now using [Debian - Systemd = Devuan 2.0 ASCII] and I am glad there are more and more options without Systemd out there.

Wanted to try ArchLinux and some of those cool Tiling WM, but keep getting back to my Emacs and its packages.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline iri

« Reply #2330 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 05:53:19 »
My 'Debian without systemd' distro is MX Linux :thumb:
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline yui

« Reply #2331 on: Tue, 22 October 2019, 07:45:00 »
Used OpenSuse and Debian on my laptop until the graphics driver crapped out (from what i read there is no way of running linux > 3 on a GCN1 graphics card) now this laptop is on win7 and my tower on OpenSuse tumbleweed so i do not have to worry much about upgrading.
I did try Ubuntu and its derivative but i missed zypper/Yast2 and Debian's flexibility.
I am kind of planing to try to get windows in a Xen vm on my tower for gaming as some games i like do have native linux client that were not updated when linux 5 came out and do not work anymore but i have not yet managed to do the gpu pass through without everything crashing.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline rolito223

« Reply #2332 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 07:39:47 »
I'm using Ubuntu on my desktop and Linux Mint in a small notebook only for run SSNES, DOSBox and Scummvm. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Deadboy

• I have a bad feeling about this.
    • KN1GHT
« Reply #2333 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 14:20:29 »
I installed Ubuntu as a side partition on my office pc, and at home I've using Kali and W10.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2334 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 15:25:58 »
Still can't believe that fresh Plasma runs as well as it does on older 64bit hardware (XRender backend for this 2007 single core pebkac special).  Aside from 'bespoke' tiliing wms tied with targeted compton configurations, I generally have to switch off or remove the compositor.  Basically after a year+ of Arch Linux and daily dedup snapshots before updates I'm not comfortable with running anything else.  I've tried almost everything--nothing seems to fit quite right.

Pretty sure I've said all this like a hundred times already, but Arch/Plasma fits me like an old pair of jeans.  And the holes provide the perfect amount of ventilation :))

Offline yui

« Reply #2335 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 00:54:04 »
plasma has gone a long way in optimization, or it might just have not grown in requirement and our PC have become more powerful, either way it has become a decent option even for old-ish hardware

Offline iri

« Reply #2336 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 04:26:10 »
Yeah, I also want my old PC's to become more powerful.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2337 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 05:40:28 »
Arch/Plasma fits me like an old pair of jeans.
Agreed.
There is a lot of hate for it but I think it's people who remember old KDE/Plasma, which was heavier and buggy.

2007? Single Core?
Look around for anything ddr3/ssd or better (2nd gen Intel, AMD am3), you can buy that stuff dirt cheap now, if not free and it runs Linux great. Ask around, check Ebay, Craigslist, thrift shops, yard sales, recyclers, Goodwill...
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline appaboy

« Reply #2338 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 08:32:33 »
I use kde neon sometimes but fl studio not working well on wine has discouraged me from using Linux currently. Kde neon is my favorite out of other distro I’ve tried but I’m not sure how unpopular of an opinion that is
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline yui

« Reply #2339 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 09:03:00 »
I use kde neon sometimes but fl studio not working well on wine has discouraged me from using Linux currently. Kde neon is my favorite out of other distro I’ve tried but I’m not sure how unpopular of an opinion that is

I tried it, i somewhat liked it but kde is available on pretty much all major distros so i switched back to OpenSuse with kde on top so i could get yast as well, i do not quite understand the appeal of neon but it is not bad per say.
And windows compatibility have increased quite a bit with Valve's proton (at least for games) i would recommend giving it a try if you have some disk space or a spare PC lying around (with kubuntu or debian KDE if you like KDE and for better steam compatibility).

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2340 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 13:18:11 »
Arch/Plasma fits me like an old pair of jeans.
Agreed.
There is a lot of hate for it but I think it's people who remember old KDE/Plasma, which was heavier and buggy.

2007? Single Core?
Look around for anything ddr3/ssd or better (2nd gen Intel, AMD am3), you can buy that stuff dirt cheap now, if not free and it runs Linux great. Ask around, check Ebay, Craigslist, thrift shops, yard sales, recyclers, Goodwill...

Yep 2007 64bit single core.  This is all good advice for folks with minimal resources.  Not everyone is in the same financial situation--even those in their 30s can become stuck at times.

I grabbed the latest Arch Linux iso to see how much was changed.  According to a few news outlets quite a bit was removed--we'll see.  Planned to use some of the weekend to alter my install notes :))

Thankfully my Nextcloud instance now has that new markdown editor.  Joplin and Simplenote are handy but I'd rather have something self hosted and consistent across multiple distros.

Offline guneyd

« Reply #2341 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 13:20:50 »
Debian with KDE at work and currently Win10 at home. Waiting to buy a good AMD GPU (if I can save a little bit money NOT buying anything keeb related for a month..) in order to use Arch with Sway again :).

Offline iri

« Reply #2342 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 17:44:56 »
I installed Plasma and it looked a bit sheet

-Ray Bradbury

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2343 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 17:55:55 »
Arch

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2344 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 18:31:55 »
Sheet metal?  Sheetrock?  I use: default light breeze qt theme, papirus-light icons, breezemite light window decorations, and default breeze light for gtk decorations.  So basically sheetrock with Event Calendar.

I'd agree with anyone that says that the Kool cigarettes naming scheme is a bit tired and dated at this point.

When I learned that KDE/Plasma is used at CERN is kinda when I tried it out.  Not sure how Arch/Plasma is in a VM--I installed it direct to SSD.

Here be sheetrock themed dragons.  I like it.
More

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2345 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 23:46:05 »
I installed Plasma and it looked a bit sheet

I admit, first few times I went to use it wondered why it looked like a Win 2k ripoff but it takes only a bit of tweaking to look better. Oxygen is a terrible theme (I.M.O.).

I usually use Breeze Dark with Gnome Icons, but I also ditch the default app launcher and switch to Application Menu, then an icons only task manager which I center (one set per screen). Here's my primary screen task bar and app menu.
228834-0

Note I don't use a lower taskbar. The layout is built to minimize traversing the entire screen vertically. I did it as an experiment after coming to the realization I pretty much only went to the bottom to change tasks and ended up liking it to much to return. Basically my mouse rarely ever drops much below mid screen with this layout making mousing more efficient.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline iri

« Reply #2346 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 04:35:11 »
lol Chromium

Sheet metal?  Sheetrock?  I use: default light breeze qt theme, papirus-light icons, breezemite light window decorations, and default breeze light for gtk decorations.  So basically sheetrock with Event Calendar.

I'd agree with anyone that says that the Kool cigarettes naming scheme is a bit tired and dated at this point.

When I learned that KDE/Plasma is used at CERN is kinda when I tried it out.  Not sure how Arch/Plasma is in a VM--I installed it direct to SSD.

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice wallpaper. Mine looked like yours OOTB, but with worse fonts.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #2347 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 04:53:03 »
now i have urge to install some distors again. Havent's used Linux in a few years but i might give it a shot again since i rarely game these days. Was using I3 mostly, am in love with tiling WMs  :eek:

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2348 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 14:24:56 »
lol Chromium

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice wallpaper. Mine looked like yours OOTB, but with worse fonts.

'Summer 1am' wallpaper had been part of the wallpaper collection since Plasma 5.4.95. :)

edit - has been.. grr
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 October 2019, 08:47:00 by csmertx »

Offline iri

« Reply #2349 on: Sat, 26 October 2019, 05:47:07 »
Ah, so now I know why it looks familiar. I've seen it outside!

-Ray Bradbury