Author Topic: NetBSD  (Read 1647 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
NetBSD
« on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 06:14:11 »
Anyone here a NetBSD fan?

I like it because of it's small size, that everything (kernel and userland) are all packaged in one release, doesn't need much system resources, and is portable across dozens pf architectures.

I've run it on i386, amd64, cobalt, sparc, spacr64 and alpha.

Version 7.0 has reached RC1 - anyone using it?

Having said all that, I'm not actually running it on anything any more - most of my older hardware is long gone, and I needed to run a few things, including Java, that NetBSD unfortunately did not support very well.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline osi

Re: NetBSD
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 06:18:13 »
I've only used BSD variants as a proof of concept :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 17:25:38 »
I've only used BSD variants as a proof of concept :(

Pretty much the same here.

I tried using it in a VM for miscellaneous development purposes, but the effort required to install and configure a usable desktop, plus the lack of Java support, kinda killed my enthusiasm.

It is about the only OS I could get to work on some of my older hardware, and it was great to see old alphas and the like firing up with the same messages :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 1o57

• %10000100001
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 17:39:41 »
As an embedded systems guy I was a fan of NetBSD, but I rarely use it now- for security intense projects I use OpenBSD for other applications I used FreeBSD (if I'm not using a Linux variant) based on project requirements...

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 08:30:31 »
OpenBSD is small size and runs on loads of oddball machines too, enough for most people.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 19:57:18 »
OpenBSD is small size and runs on loads of oddball machines too, enough for most people.

Is the community still as unfriendly and antagonistic as they were in the old days?

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 20:22:38 »

Is the community still as unfriendly and antagonistic as they were in the old days?

I'd say it's arguably much more friendly and open vs some of the Linux communities. :))

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 20:51:14 »
It's true though,  team OpenBSD are notorious a-holes. That's 4ever homey.   :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 June 2015, 20:54:15 »
I made a tiny little contribution to NetBSD/cobalt a few years back and found the people I dealt with to be very patient and helpful.

Linux communities can be good or bad.

FreeBSD - I didn't really interact with that community, but did use it on a few servers many years ago.

OpenBSD I have not tried.