Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 300552 times)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #450 on: Thu, 08 October 2015, 23:43:20 »
Just a notice for everyone.  I am going to order the plates tomorrow.  Last call on changes.  I will placing the order around noon my time (12 hours 30 minutes from this post), and after that the orders are locked in.

Wooo! ALPS!!!!!
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline i0nC4nn0n

« Reply #451 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 03:05:52 »
I think we should move this to the review thread or hasu's converter thread, we're drifting pretty far off topic.

Agreed, sorry that i drifted off topic. I won't post just yet in hasu's /your thread, cause i don't have the doohickey yet, it would be theory-crafting.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 October 2015, 05:27:39 by i0nC4nn0n »
                    (placeholder for 60%)

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #452 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 03:33:07 »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 07:49:30 »
I think we should move this to the review thread or hasu's converter thread, we're drifting pretty far off topic.

Agreed, sorry that i drifted off topic. I won't post just yet in hasu's /your thread, cause i don't have the doohickey yet, it would be theory-crafting.
You're welcome to post! I wrote the review to help others. And hasu is selling those things so he wants to answer your questions about them.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #454 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:21:33 »
Changes to plate orders will no longer be accepted.  I have sent the order to the fab. 

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #455 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:24:44 »
Changes to plate orders will no longer be accepted.  I have sent the order to the fab.

Did I read correctly that Matias was shipping switch orders direct?

Offline phosphoric

« Reply #456 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:29:31 »
so excited! already started desoldering switches from my aek ii. can't wait to get the plate and pcb.
Let's get this straight. There is nothing cool about keyboards we're all lame as fk.

speak for yourself

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #457 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:29:52 »

I like your speed

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #458 on: Fri, 09 October 2015, 13:30:02 »

Did I read correctly that Matias was shipping switch orders direct?

No.  The switches will be sent to me and I will ship them as part of the group shipment.  You may be referring to the fact that I included the cost of Matias shipping switches to me in the shipping part of your invoice.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #459 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 06:20:07 »
Ahhhh forgot to join. Just found my old AEKII and damn its satisfying.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #460 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:46:47 »
I'm glad I got in, (no offense leandreN) because I have found out how much i hate MX blacks :P

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #461 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:49:59 »
Shh, you're not supposed to say that out loud! Even though everyone secretly does...

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #462 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 12:53:17 »
MX blacks are bad. Gateron blacks are awesome.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #463 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:04:57 »
To me, a true mechanical keyboard should be loud, and obnoxious, and sponsored by hockey.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #464 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:11:26 »
To me, a true mechanical keyboard should be loud, and obnoxious, and sponsored by hockey.

Amen!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #465 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:13:37 »

Amen!

Now when I build my alps board, I have to name it the most stereotypical Canadian thing I can think of that isn't "the maple syrup board 3000"

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #466 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:14:47 »

Amen!

Now when I build my alps board, I have to name it the most stereotypical Canadian thing I can think of that isn't "the maple syrup board 3000"
Call it the Model Eh.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #467 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:15:33 »

Amen!

Call it the Model Eh.

That's now patended by me, and sponsored by polar bears.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #468 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:30:56 »
Update and reminder.

So according to paypal, my 'business' is doing well.  That means they are going to hold all of my money for 21 days before I can use it.  Awesome, right?  What this means for the GB is very little.  I am going to probably push back the Matias order by about two weeks.  I expect I won't receive the PCBs before then, so there is no cause for alarm.  No delays in the shipping to participants is expected.

As a reminder though, if you haven't paid your invoice...please do that soon.  There is now a 21 day lag between when you pay and when I can order.  Please don't hold up the group longer than you need to.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #469 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:36:15 »
PayPal is acting more and more like a bank. This is like the "we noticed you have no money, so we're going to charge you more" thing or the "you have money now, but you'll have to wait till after the weekend to use them" thing.

Why are we using PayPal again? Why isn't there a proper business account place which just allows you to accept PayPal for payments, but don't store your money there?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #470 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:41:42 »
PayPal is acting more and more like a bank. This is like the "we noticed you have no money, so we're going to charge you more" thing or the "you have money now, but you'll have to wait till after the weekend to use them" thing.

Why are we using PayPal again? Why isn't there a proper business account place which just allows you to accept PayPal for payments, but don't store your money there?

It is a reasonable method to prevent or deter fraud.  I am trying to angry at it, but I can't find much cause to be.  It is possible to reduce the time period if you can provide tracking showing that a product was delivered to the invoicee.  Unfortunately, in this case I cannot do that since the money needs to buy the supplies first.  Think about it from their perspective: some dude that only uses there service occasionally sets up a business account, sends 250 invoices, and racks up ~$10k in about a week before sending a chunk of it off to an overseas account (hasu).  If that doesn't sound shady, I don't know what does.  We just need to ride this out and it will be fine.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #471 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:43:43 »
Well, this one isn't so bad, but some GBs have actually been stopped because of PayPal problems. Personally I like using Massdrop to avoid these problems, but then there are those who have had even larger problems with Massdrop, so you never really get away from it..

What I'm trying to say is, I guess... GBs are hard... Good on you for doing one :)

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #472 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 14:49:13 »
Well, this one isn't so bad, but some GBs have actually been stopped because of PayPal problems. Personally I like using Massdrop to avoid these problems, but then there are those who have had even larger problems with Massdrop, so you never really get away from it..

What I'm trying to say is, I guess... GBs are hard... Good on you for doing one :)

They are a hefty load of work.  Thanks for the support.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #473 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:37:14 »
Who won the elephants bluenalgene? Or will it be a surprise and 3 people open their boxes and be like "oooh elephant"? I think it would be cooler for it to be a surprise, but its your call.

//edit: and also its 102 pcbs including my late order :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:39:08 by Deductivemonkee »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #474 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 15:56:26 »
I may use my business FreshBooks account to generate invoices for Alpine Winter, then people can pay me via PayPal or Stripe and I'll get the money instantly. I just have to make sure it's not going to mess up my tax return.

My boards:
More

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #475 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 17:47:57 »
Who won the elephants bluenalgene? Or will it be a surprise and 3 people open their boxes and be like "oooh elephant"? I think it would be cooler for it to be a surprise, but its your call.

Who said it was still only "3" "Elephants"?

The winners will probably be declared the day before the packages ship.  I would prefer to surprise folks and not tell them beforehand, however the packages are going to full of stuff.  I don't want a sweet reward to be thrown out with the packing peanuts.  Gotta be practical.

I may use my business FreshBooks account to generate invoices for Alpine Winter, then people can pay me via PayPal or Stripe and I'll get the money instantly. I just have to make sure it's not going to mess up my tax return.

I would recommend it.  The invoice stuff on Paypal is very user friendly, but the giant spiked dong attached to it is a bit painful.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #476 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 18:40:54 »

The winners will probably be declared the day before the packages ship.  I would prefer to surprise folks and not tell them beforehand, however the packages are going to full of stuff.  I don't want a sweet reward to be thrown out with the packing peanuts.  Gotta be practical.

I would recommend it.  The invoice stuff on Paypal is very user friendly, but the giant spiked dong attached to it is a bit painful.
You are a true modern day poet.

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #477 on: Sun, 11 October 2015, 09:39:02 »

I just kinda assumed based on the pictures, that there would be 3, cool!

//edit: powers back on! ( was out from 2:30 to 10:00 pm PST)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #478 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 15:04:49 »
Just ordered the last component needed to complete my alps build, the case! (I got a clear plastic case to show off the pcb,and because I'm too cheap for an aluminum case)

Who else is ready to see alps builds?

Offline E3E

« Reply #479 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 15:58:35 »
 :thumb:
Just ordered the last component needed to complete my alps build, the case! (I got a clear plastic case to show off the pcb,and because I'm too cheap for an aluminum case)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Awww ye!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #480 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 16:12:50 »
:thumb:

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Awww ye!

And expect a (probably horrific) build log from ms too!

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #481 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 16:21:13 »
My friends are gonna probably hate me, I'm going to have 9 extra click switches and I'll probably end up carrying one around to click when I'm stressed :p

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #482 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 16:39:22 »
My friends are gonna probably hate me, I'm going to have 9 extra click switches and I'll probably end up carrying one around to click when I'm stressed
I keep two orange Alps switches on my desk for Zen purposes.

My boards:
More

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #483 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 15:21:33 »
What kind of timeline do we expect for PCBs? A month, 2? Just curious. Not in a big hurry. I don't envy Hasu, he has a lot of work ahead of him.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #484 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 15:24:00 »
What kind of timeline do we expect for PCBs? A month, 2? Just curious. Not in a big hurry. I don't envy Hasu, he has a lot of work ahead of him.

I'm not sure how far along he is.  I'm trying not to hover over him.  So let's just be conservative and say I will have them sometime during the year of 2015.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #485 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 15:49:06 »
Belive me, the PCB assembly is currently on top of my priority :D
My wild guess and hopeful expectation indicates I can ship them at the end of Nov or early Dec. But I'm actullay not good at estimating these things, no conviction.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #486 on: Tue, 13 October 2015, 23:41:52 »
My wild guess and hopeful expectation indicates I can ship them at the end of Nov or early Dec. But I'm actullay not good at estimating these things, no conviction.

Wooot!

Offline ika

« Reply #487 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 00:56:16 »

are you doing everything by hand?  :o

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #488 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 05:44:41 »
hey guys, here's a preview (built with a custom plate) :D
linear brown alps  :eek:

« Last Edit: Wed, 14 October 2015, 11:15:35 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #489 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 06:52:39 »

Show Image

Show Image

Looks awesome in that case! Did you retrobright the spacebar?

My boards:
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #490 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 06:57:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

didn't have to  :eek: found an aek2 on ebay in really good shape for 30 euros shipped to me #soblest
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #491 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 06:59:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

didn't have to  :eek: found an aek2 on ebay in really good shape for 30 euros shipped to me #soblest
Why aren't they all like this? Computer geeks don't even like sunlight.

My boards:
More

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #492 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 07:01:17 »
i think the yellow adds a bit of character. i wouldn't mind an entirely yellowed set of aek caps but since they're pbt... not happening.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #493 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 10:01:22 »

are you doing everything by hand?  :o

Probably, yes. At least I did the last batch by hand.
I was thinking about fab assembly but it is unlikely this time.

I'll print solder paste, pick'n'place components and toast it :D
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69666.msg1703624#msg1703624

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #494 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 10:49:28 »

Show Image

Show Image

AEKII 60% with brown Alps… APPROVE!!  :thumb:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #495 on: Wed, 14 October 2015, 11:15:08 »

Show Image

Show Image

AEKII 60% with brown Alps… APPROVE!!  :thumb:

Offline ShadeDream

« Reply #496 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:20:25 »
Show Image

Show Image

Looks great... I've been struggling to decide what to use for the case when I get mine set up. It'll just go into my Poker II's original case until I decide. So far silver seems like the best option to go with the AEK caps. My other thought was to seek out a paint to match the AEK and spray my poker II case.

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #497 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:31:10 »
I've been very happy with the tex case for my Alps. I did have some diode shorting as mentioned in the OP, but electrical tape solved that.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km²), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km²),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #498 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 00:41:55 »
Two
I've been very happy with the tex case for my Alps. I did have some diode shorting as mentioned in the OP, but electrical tape solved that.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Two sweet looking boards there.

Offline E3E

« Reply #499 on: Fri, 16 October 2015, 03:22:18 »
Show Image

Show Image

How are the brown alps, my good sir? There is very very little information on them. Have you used the other Alps linear switches? If so, then how do they compare?  I'm guessing you got them from a DC-3014? Thanks for your feedback! Great looking boards!