Author Topic: Are this keyboards mechanical?  (Read 2197 times)

Offline gamariel

Are this keyboards mechanical?
« on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:16:09 »

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
Re: Are this keyboards mechanical?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 16:20:30 »
All keyboards are mechanical.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 17:20:32 »
First:  Fujitsu rubber dome, like the FMV-KB312. ( Japanese, but same style otherwise)
Second: Chicony KB-5160, which could have any of several mechanical switches.

I don't know any of these in particular. I just had an inkling that the first could be Fujitsu and the other one I knew I had seen before and could be a Chicony, and then I searched on these sites.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 February 2019, 17:25:15 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:04:10 »
All keyboards are mechanical.
Some are memberane

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:10:32 »
Like membrane buckling springs?
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 22 February 2019, 20:54:19 »
Some are memberane
When people say "membrane keyboard" they often refer to there being a sheet with rubber domes, but that is incorrect usage.
The term actually refers to what is often underneath the domes: one or more flexible plastic membrane sheets. They are usually three: top and bottom layer with traces and a middle layer with holes. The top membrane will not sag into the hole but you could press it down to make both membranes connect.

A pure "membrane keyboard" would not have anything on top: The user would press the membranes directly. For instance the Atari 400 and the Sinclair ZX81 8-bit home computers had pure membrane keyboards.

People on this board have discussed about the precise meaning of the word "mechanical keyboard" for too long without getting anywhere. By one definition, a mechanical keyboard is any that has moving parts.
By another, there would need to be conductor-to-conductor contact inside the switch mechanism (which would exclude the IBM Model M's buckling-spring over membrane).
By another more strict definition, there would need to a mechanical linkage inside the switch mechanism.
Others use it just to mean a keyboard of higher quality: for instance letting the Topre switch be in effect an honorary mechanical key switch.
Mr no, the other guy (with the salad fingers) is just playing with you about the terms.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 February 2019, 21:00:56 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 06:49:08 »
Like HP KU 0316, and Buckling springs. Only difference is that in buckling springs you still have the feels of a mechanical.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 07:52:17 »
All keyboards are mechanical, except for those light projection things.

Are switches mechanical? If there are discrete little boxes that make and break electrical contact within themselves, then yes, certainly.

If there are mechanisms that then activate actual non-mechanical electrical contacts, then there could be a logical argument that these are not "mechanical switches" since the word "switch" implies the activation of the electrical connection. 
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"