Author Topic: Are Orings still Kewl ?  (Read 1593 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Are Orings still Kewl ?
« on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 19:37:58 »
These little opaque white ones on ebay NE good,  they soft , hard, ne1 try them ?

What's the Premo Oring these days ?

Offline yui

Re: Are Orings still Kewl ?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 03:12:20 »
These little opaque white ones on ebay NE good,  they soft , hard, ne1 try them ?

well since silent switches exists nowadays so o-rings became kinda useless, they impede the travel more and only silence the down stroke. although if you want silent blue you will have trouble finding them and may need to resort to o-rings :)

silent switches uses little rubber inserts either side of the slider to dampen the sound, works pretty well, to be honest i never had o-ringed switches so i can't really compare
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 03:29:24 »
Depends on your goal and your caps.
On my caps if I use only one o-ring they won't even hit the housing, however they work great for adding mass to the caps and deepening the sound.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 07:37:17 »
On my caps if I use only one o-ring they won't even hit the housing, however they work great for adding mass to the caps and deepening the sound.

oh dang, which caps are these that won't contact.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 09:58:35 »
although if you want silent blue you will have trouble finding them and may need to resort to o-rings :)
Blue Gateron sliders will fit QMX clips though. Other blue switches have a small nub on the top of the slider (to the side of the keycap mount) that gets in the way, so that you'd have to resort to O-rings on those, yes.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 May 2021, 00:28:19 by Findecanor »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 21:18:24 »

oh dang, which caps are these that won't contact.

Not GMK
You want old SP and HK Gaming

On Jailhouse Blues I was even running dual o-rings with only some touching, depending on the row.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 17:46:21 »

well since silent switches exists nowadays so o-rings became kinda useless, they impede the travel more and only silence the down stroke. although if you want silent blue you will have trouble finding them and may need to resort to o-rings :)

silent switches uses little rubber inserts either side of the slider to dampen the sound, works pretty well, to be honest i never had o-ringed switches so i can't really compare
How would you create a silent blue switch? I'd imagine you would have to dampen the part between the stem and the jacket since the bottoming of the jacket is what causing the click.

I'd love to use some dampened clickbar switches though, I havn't had the chance to use MX style clickbar switches, but the BOX ones bottom out is very harsh, you could definitly feel the difference in terms of sound and feel.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 02:36:43 »

How would you create a silent blue switch? I'd imagine you would have to dampen the part between the stem and the jacket since the bottoming of the jacket is what causing the click.

I'd love to use some dampened clickbar switches though, I havn't had the chance to use MX style clickbar switches, but the BOX ones bottom out is very harsh, you could definitly feel the difference in terms of sound and feel.
it was a joke, as TP only ever recommend MX blue as the ultimate switch to end them all, i was not serious.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)