Author Topic: Dox KB, Build your own!  (Read 205024 times)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 21:59:30 »
Quote from: ishtob;453714
I can change the layout for you if that i what you want
Thanks alot!, now we need to get the other stuff buttoned down. Once i know everything can be made or bought ill bite and buy everything.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #201 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 23:04:03 »
Do you have any plans to develop a version to use the Chameleon or Aikon controllers?

I would love a PCB layout to the keylayout I posted just a few posts ago if that wouldn't be any trouble. It does not need to allow for LED's so the switches can be either direction without the LED lead holes. Thank you very much in advance for any help or advice. It might be important to note that I plan on using costar stabalizers and I don't know if your original has the sizing for that or the Cherry stabalizers on the PCB

I wonder how possible it would be to place the controller as close to the middle on the top row as possible so that the keyboard could have a detatchable mini-usb angled adapter as mentioned earlier in the forum. I would be happy to investigate into this once I figure out how the rows/columns relate to the pins on the Teensy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 November 2011, 23:17:27 by bloodygood »
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #202 on: Wed, 16 November 2011, 23:45:15 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453737
Do you have any plans to develop a version to use the Chameleon or Aikon controllers?

I would love a PCB layout to the keylayout I posted just a few posts ago if that wouldn't be any trouble. It does not need to allow for LED's so the switches can be either direction without the LED lead holes. Thank you very much in advance for any help or advice. It might be important to note that I plan on using costar stabalizers and I don't know if your original has the sizing for that or the Cherry stabalizers on the PCB

I wonder how possible it would be to place the controller as close to the middle on the top row as possible so that the keyboard could have a detatchable mini-usb angled adapter as mentioned earlier in the forum. I would be happy to investigate into this once I figure out how the rows/columns relate to the pins on the Teensy.
I would say probably not to the other controllers as the availability of the Teensy is much higher than any of the others. Also the teensy is what this project started out using and everything that we have worked on was designed with it in mind. Also where are you planning on getting costar stabilizers? As I was planning on using Cherry because their readily available. I believe the mini usb posrt does go out the back though ishtob might have had some trouble with that.

Also ishtob could we get some more pictures of home your current one turned out I know you did show a few before but I think the were only about problem areas. Also could you go over the concerns that you have again to see if we can drum up some ideas? Also where you put your teensy would we need some sort of cutout so the button is still accessible with a plate on top?

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #203 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 00:11:41 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;453750
I would say probably not to the other controllers as the availability of the Teensy is much higher than any of the others. Also the teensy is what this project started out using and everything that we have worked on was designed with it in mind. Also where are you planning on getting costar stabilizers? As I was planning on using Cherry because their readily available. I believe the mini usb posrt does go out the back though ishtob might have had some trouble with that.

Also ishtob could we get some more pictures of home your current one turned out I know you did show a few before but I think the were only about problem areas. Also could you go over the concerns that you have again to see if we can drum up some ideas? Also where you put your teensy would we need some sort of cutout so the button is still accessible with a plate on top?
As I said in a previous post I heard WASD say he would be getting them in at some point in the near future. I believe WASD keyboards use costar, he just wasn't originally selling them as separates because he wasn't stockpiling them as we would need for a groupbuy. My main gripe with cherry stabilizers is that they do not feel as natural or comfortable as costar ones. I don't want to make something I don't absolutely love 100%.

And yes I do know the project wasn't originally meant for the other controllers but it wouldn't hurt to ask, maybe there was some curiosity towards it but the idea was still in prototype you know?
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #204 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 00:42:33 »
what does the costar stab's look like? I've only got a working template for the cherry PCB mounted stabs (I'm actually typing on it right now) if you can find me a schematic or something from costar's manufacturer I may be able to get something made.... though I would have no way to test it.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #205 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:15:38 »

here's the layout you guys want, I have not checked this out live yet, I have a version of this latest revision (but with the short shfit +FN) in the mail, it should be here tomorrow, but spare switches aren'y coming for a week, so I won't be able to troubleshoot and look for errors until sometimes next week.

one more thing, you will see "##" over a few resisters, those will need to be different from the rest, as they are not connected to a serie of 2 LED but rather regulates 1 single LED, you will need a resister of a different value or you will burn out those LED

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #206 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:21:30 »
Quote from: ishtob;453771
what does the costar stab's look like? I've only got a working template for the cherry PCB mounted stabs (I'm actually typing on it right now) if you can find me a schematic or something from costar's manufacturer I may be able to get something made.... though I would have no way to test it.
As far as what they look like the only examples I have (at the moment) are from the wiki which have nice resolution pictures. Each one should line up perfectly under the stems as long as the keys are compatible with Filco's/WASD. I am trying to find the schematic data and I will update this post if I find it, but for tonight (it is late) I am heading to bed.
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:12649#vw-head-4

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #207 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:25:56 »
ok, so it looks like something we need to do on the plate, not the PCB

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #208 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:36:22 »
oh, and those who wants to use this PCB, know that you will need to but and solder a miniusb to fit right next to the space bar switch stabilizer so taht the teensy's usb port will be connect to the one in the back, you will also need this for mounting the USB to the back of the board

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 32274[/ATTACH]

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #209 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:39:16 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453592
Has there been much interest in attempting to achieve NKRO via PS/2? I know for most people that isn't a deal breaker, but it has come in handy more times than not and I really don't want to go back to those dark ages without it.

I am currently looking over the PCB for changing the layout slightly to use the original sized right shift key, although I do not know the exact position for the mount. It seems like every version of the PCB I have seen on here needed modification in some way, almost every time it seems like extra wires were necessary as opposed to completely PCB based connections. Is there any documentation on the PCB to teensy connections?

the wires I've used are to fix mistakes I've made in designing the traces. MY idea was to have the only wire you would need are to hook up the USB of the teensy to the pcb mounted USB port as seen below:

unless someone knows of a way to use the ports on the teensy to accomplish this, I dont see anyway to avoid having some wires
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:43:20 by ishtob »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #210 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:51:36 »
Quote from: ishtob;453809
oh, and those who wants to use this PCB, know that you will need to but and solder a miniusb to fit right next to the space bar switch stabilizer so taht the teensy's usb port will be connect to the one in the back, you will also need this for mounting the USB to the back of the board

(Attachment Link) 32274[/ATTACH]
The Teensy is soldered to the underside of the PCB right? This picture is just confusing me a bit I guess I just do not see how you would gain access to the Teensy button under neath a metal plate if it is mounted to the top side of the PCB, and couldn't that cause problems to the key travel for the spacebar or risk a short under the metal plate?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #211 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:54:00 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453825
The Teensy is soldered to the underside of the PCB right? This picture is just confusing me a bit I guess
Show Image
I just do not see how you would gain access to the Teensy button under neath a metal plate if it is mounted to the top side of the PCB, and couldn't that cause problems to the key travel for the spacebar or risk a short under the metal plate?

I am currently without a plate, everything is just PCB mounted... haven't had time to learn to work CAD to get a plate drawn up, but if I were to draw a plate, this section would not have a plate over, and hte button can be accessed by removing the space bar keycap

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #212 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:58:44 »
Quote from: ishtob;453827
I am currently without a plate, everything is just PCB mounted... haven't had time to learn to work CAD to get a plate drawn up, but if I were to draw a plate, this section would not have a plate over, and hte button can be accessed by removing the space bar keycap

Could you wire the switch off-board so you can access the switch without removing the spacebar?

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #213 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 01:59:16 »
Quote from: ishtob;453827
I think it would be possible to move the Teensy to the underside and still have a USB mount port to the top of the PCB. Give me some time and I will go over the layout in my head tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Working with multiple layers really does take a lot of getting used to visually. Since I wasn't originally planning on working with the LED leads though I am not sure I am qualified to adjust for that.
Quote from: litster;453831
Could you wire the switch off-board so you can access the switch without removing the spacebar?
I could see that being possible, but it would take modifying the Teensy and that is such tiny hardware that I wouldn't personally want to make that adjustment.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:00:17 »
so the plate would look kind of like this:

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:04:58 »
Quote from: ishtob;453833
so the plate would look kind of like this:
*snip*
Although that is assuming the Costar stabilizer would still be balanced and hold properly given the gap right next to it. Like I said, I will think it over tonight and work on moving the Teensy to the underside of the PCB in the morning. I think it is a much better idea to just open up the case and press the button on the underside, then trying to deal with desoldering or having a metal plate with gaps. Also ensures that both types of stabilizers would be unaffected by the Teensy's shape

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #216 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:05:23 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453832
I could see that being possible, but it would take modifying the Teensy and that is such tiny hardware that I wouldn't personally want to make that adjustment.

I suppose you don't have to remove that existing switch from the teensy PCB, just wire in a separate switch that you can reach easily.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #217 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:09:40 »
Quote from: litster;453836
I suppose you don't have to remove that existing switch from the teensy PCB, just wire in a separate switch that you can reach easily.
I suppose it is a good time for me to ask this, what all does the Teensy button do anyway? Is it something we will need to press more than once per day, week, month, year? If we only need it for the initial updating of the code I really doubt we need to access the button again and therefore leaving it hidden prevents accidental erases perhaps?

The teensy is very teensy.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:11:53 by bloodygood »

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #218 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:12:07 »
or we just re do some of the PCB traces and a dd a hole, and flip the teensy around then drill a hole in the bottom of the case, you would be  able to access the button with a pen or similar objects

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #219 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:13:04 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453838
I suppose it is a good time for me to ask this, what all does the Teensy button do anyway? Is it something we will need to press more than once per day, week, month, year? If we only need it for the initial updating of the code I really doubt we need to access the button again and therefore leaving it hidden prevents accidental erases perhaps?
Show Image

I use it less and less, the first week after i finished the board, I did it every day to tweak my function layers as I saw fit, but not so much anymore

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #220 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:16:38 »
Quote from: ishtob;453796
here's the layout you guys want, I have not checked this out live yet, I have a version of this latest revision (but with the short shfit +FN) in the mail, it should be here tomorrow, but spare switches aren'y coming for a week, so I won't be able to troubleshoot and look for errors until sometimes next week.

one more thing, you will see "##" over a few resisters, those will need to be different from the rest, as they are not connected to a serie of 2 LED but rather regulates 1 single LED, you will need a resister of a different value or you will burn out those LED
what are the specs of the 2 different resistors that we would need also have you been able to track down and white leds that fall into the specification that we need to work with the DOX?

Quote from: ishtob;453804
ok, so it looks like something we need to do on the plate, not the PCB
yes its something with the plate and I think the holes are the same size the only difference would be the spacing for the spacebar which should be easy to include both.

Quote from: ishtob;453815
the wires I've used are to fix mistakes I've made in designing the traces. MY idea was to have the only wire you would need are to hook up the USB of the teensy to the pcb mounted USB port as seen below:
Show Image

unless someone knows of a way to use the ports on the teensy to accomplish this, I dont see anyway to avoid having some wires
couldnt you desolder the usb port on the teensy and wire directly to it would that be easier?

Quote from: litster;453836
is removing the spacebar that big of deal to get at the switch?

Quote from: bloodygood;453838
Show Image

you only really use it until you find the layout that you like which for me has already been determined and tested

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #221 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:18:32 »
Quote from: ishtob;453841
I use it less and less, the first week after i finished the board, I did it every day to tweak my function layers as I saw fit, but not so much anymore
That is pretty much what I was thinking, it is something that probably shouldn't be accessible at all times since it is only really necessary at first, and maybe later down the road for very rare tweaks. Spending the first week or so with the keyboard not screwed together but still assembled allows easy access to change it at will, then once you are happy with the setup you can screw it together and the next time you need to really make a change, just unscrew it and press the button.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #222 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:22:59 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;453844
couldnt you desolder the usb port on the teensy and wire directly to it would that be easier?

For the sake of everyone who plans on making this mod, doing as little modifying to components really would be favorable because it would make it more accessible to the public and those who are just getting started.
1. solder teensy
2. solder mx switches
3. solder usb hub
I know that isn't necessarily the actual order of course, but that isn't my point. Promoting simplicity boosts confidence. Makes the project truly user friendly and intrigues more members to try it.

No removing the spacebar is not that big of a deal, but it also looks cleaner when switching out keycaps later, or not worrying about bottoming out and hitting the micro controller. And the idea of not placing something there you won't be using all the time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:29:40 by bloodygood »

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:29:05 »
what are the specs of the 2 different resistors that we would need also have you been able to track down and white leds that fall into the specification that we need to work with the DOX?

No, all the white I've came by are using 2.9-3.4V, if you can find anything =<2.5V it would work, but we'll need to calculate new vales for those resisters (prob 1ohm)
as for the current layout, baed on the 2.2V LED's im using, it should be 100ohm for the seried LED and 470 for the lone LED, this would provide 6mA of power to every LED, which you've seen in my pics

Yes, that would work, but is it easier?
First of all: I hate desoldering :P
secondly, those pads are tiny, and with the soldering I have I don't think I would be able to accurately solder wires to thsoe pads even after I remove the

you only really use it until you find the layout that you like which for me has already been determined and tested

I believe you just answered your own question

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #224 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:33:15 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453848
For the sake of everyone who plans on making this mod, doing as little modifying to components really would be favorable because it would make it more accessible to the public and those who are just getting started.
1. solder teensy
2. solder mx switches
3. solder usb hub
I know that isn't necessarily the actual order of course, but that isn't my point. Promoting simplicity boosts confidence. Makes the project truly user friendly and intrigues more members to try it.

No removing the spacebar is not that big of a deal, but it also looks cleaner when switching out keycaps later, or not worrying about bottoming out and hitting the micro controller. And the idea of not placing something there you won't be using all the time.

I tested and retested before ordering the board as I have a metal space bar (which mean contact of any short = bad) I've already assembled the board, using it for the past week and half and i yet to have any issues with shorting out.
I planned it to sit at the same height as the plate (if there will be any) and the USB section would be under the switch.

There is going to be an issue for those who are going to be using the filco/leo hybrid space bar, as the USB will be directly under the leo-MX switch thingy.

edit: Oh, and I bottom out all the time... especially when i'm mad :P

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:39:21 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453848
1. solder teensy
2. solder mx switches
3. solder usb hub

steps for my build: (in order)
1. solder diodes (and resisters if your using LED)
2. Solder wires to a cut mini usb's back end
3. solder other end of those wire to PCB
4. plug in and solder teensy
5. solder USB
6. solder MX switches
optional: add LED

that's basically it, takes about 2 hours to solder (most of it spent on the diodes and resisters)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #226 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:47:28 »
Quote from: ishtob;453851
No, all the white I've came by are using 2.9-3.4V, if you can find anything =<2.5V it would work, but we'll need to calculate new vales for those resisters (prob 1ohm)
as for the current layout, baed on the 2.2V LED's im using, it should be 100ohm for the seried LED and 470 for the lone LED, this would provide 6mA of power to every LED, which you've seen in my pics

Yes, that would work, but is it easier?
First of all: I hate desoldering :P
secondly, those pads are tiny, and with the soldering I have I don't think I would be able to accurately solder wires to thsoe pads even after I remove the

I believe you just answered your own question
yea your plan for the teensy usb seems fine

no that question was to lister.

Quote from: ishtob;453852
I tested and retested before ordering the board as I have a metal space bar (which mean contact of any short = bad) I've already assembled the board, using it for the past week and half and i yet to have any issues with shorting out.
I planned it to sit at the same height as the plate (if there will be any) and the USB section would be under the switch.

There is going to be an issue for those who are going to be using the filco/leo hybrid space bar, as the USB will be directly under the leo-MX switch thingy.

edit: Oh, and I bottom out all the time... especially when i'm mad :P
what if I were to get cherry stabilizers which would take a leopold spacebar would that work?

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:51:04 »
no, the filco sized stabilizers gives just enough room for a cut-usb and teensy to fit with the teensy board to just touch the space bar switch (in the groove where the plate should be if i had one)

leo stabs would not leave enough room for the usb, it would still be possible for you to do the desolder usb head trick, but I would also need to move the hole where the wires from the usb goes.... since it will be directly under the stab.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #228 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:56:28 »
Quote from: ishtob;453856
no, the filco sized stabilizers gives just enough room for a cut-usb and teensy to fit with the teensy board to just touch the space bar switch (in the groove where the plate should be if i had one)

leo stabs would not leave enough room for the usb, it would still be possible for you to do the desolder usb head trick, but I would also need to move the hole where the wires from the usb goes.... since it will be directly under the stab.
the reason why I brought this up is we currenly dont have source for costar/filco stabilizer. WASD might be stocking them but I dont want to count on it as it not a definite thing

also I plan to pick up these for my dox since standard keys will now fit red (at least I think thats whats in the pic) look rather nice. did you happen to see any of those that are withing the specifications we need. Also any recommended places to look for leds?

when do you plan on ordering your switches and what kind? I might be in for some for the dox since the Phantom buy is going to take a while.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 02:59:53 by TheProfosist »

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:01:31 »
I've been ordering them from onlinecomponents:
plate mount

PCB mount

These dont come with the metal bar so I've been making my own from a 1/16inch stainless steel rod

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #230 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:06:48 »
Red LED will work, they operate at 2.1-2.5V which is very similar to the 2.2-2.7 of the orange

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:18:31 »
WASD already does sell the stabilizer bars http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html And the plan he said was to get them in this December/January. Remember he already uses costar for his keyboards so he definitely has access to them he just hasn't made them available for purchase separately yet.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:20:43 »
Quote from: ishtob;453859
I've been ordering them from onlinecomponents:
plate mount

PCB mount

These dont come with the metal bar so I've been making my own from a 1/16inch stainless steel rod
those look like Cherry/Leopold to me but if you cutting your own wire it would matter. You can get the wire for the Costar/Filco ones from WASD but i dont think those would work with cherry (though i have never tried).

Quote from: ishtob;453860
Red LED will work, they operate at 2.1-2.5V which is very similar to the 2.2-2.7 of the orange
alright, otherwise you can look ast mouser idk what they have to offer but i know the have switches and stabilizers as well.

Quote from: bloodygood;453866
WASD already does sell the stabilizer bars http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html And the plan he said was to get them in this December/January. Remember he already uses costar for his keyboards so he definitely has access to them he just hasn't made them available for purchase separately yet.
ill go post in his subforum and find out for sure.

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:29:29 »
Quote from: TheProfosist;453868
ill go post in his subforum and find out for sure.
This was the thread I am referring to
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23681-costar-stabilizers
In fact you posted in that very thread, so instead of starting a new one perhaps give it a bump and a request for an update on the ETA.

And now I am heading to bed, have to wake up my girlfriend in 3 and a half hours.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:46:21 by bloodygood »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #234 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 03:42:03 »
Quote from: bloodygood;453871
This was the thread I am referring to
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23681-costar-stabilizers
In fact you posted in that very thread, so instead of starting a new one perhaps give it a bump and a request for an update on the ETA.
done

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 04:34:07 »
Finalized my layout:

Default Layer

Layer 1

Layer 2

Layer 3

Fn 2 toggles layer 2 and Fn 3 toggles layer 3.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #236 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 08:34:47 »
no offense, but part of your layout doesnt make sense, you have 1 FN key to trigger layer 1, how do you expect to trigger layer 2 or 3? press 2 keys down at the same time? it seems inconvenient and cluncky, and more importantly I'm not sure if the firmware supports that, the FN layers might conflict since soon as you press FN2 or 3 layer 1 stops, and that stops the FN1 on layer 1, which would then stop FN2 or 3, leaving those 2 layer still unusable

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #237 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 08:45:46 »
Quote from: ishtob;453940
no offense, but part of your layout doesnt make sense, you have 1 FN key to trigger layer 1, how do you expect to trigger layer 2 or 3? press 2 keys down at the same time? it seems inconvenient and cluncky, and more importantly I'm not sure if the firmware supports that, the FN layers might conflict since soon as you press FN2 or 3 layer 1 stops, and that stops the FN1 on layer 1, which would then stop FN2 or 3, leaving those 2 layer still unusable
Well I created the layer for just the Fn layer 2 which really isnt needed as it just creates a second Fn key i would always be using this so no need and I shall eliminate it. Then all it would be is you hold Fn and you have access to layer 1. I also have it set that if you hold Fn and hit Fn 3 it toggles layer 3 on or off. This would hopefully still allow you to hold Fn and have access to layer one. I hope this would be available. If not I wont be too heartbroken for the DOX it will throw my Phantom design into a bind though.

They started talking about programming NKRO for the Phantom, it may help with the firmware for the DOX. http://tinyurl.com/85bwn3e

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #238 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 08:54:12 »
last I checked DOX had 6KRO over USB, and I dont think the current firmware supports toggling of layers, they only stay on as long as you have the FN key held

Don't get me wrong, I would love to be able to toggle between layers, I just dont have the proficiency in C to modify or add to the main body of the firmware.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #239 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 08:57:06 »
I will take a look athe codes for the phantom and see what I can do though

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #240 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:02:25 »
either way I'm almost done putting together your firmware from modifying hasu and dox's keymaps

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:06:54 »
Quote from: ishtob;453952
either way I'm almost done putting together your firmware from modifying hasu and dox's keymaps
thanks much you just doing layer one then right? by default just make right shift Fn cause I dont use it for shift anyway.

Hmm there is probably a way to do toggling layers we would need someone who is versed in C and would be better if the worked with a teensy before
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:16:25 by TheProfosist »

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #242 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:16:30 »
sure thing, we can do that until we get get the FN layer toggle figured out, its not like you cant re-flash the teensy as you see if anyways

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:20:12 »
ahh shoot, I forgot to bring my keycap puller with me, I'll have to wait to test out your firmware after I get home, later this evening.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #244 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:22:07 »
Quote from: ishtob;453959
sure thing, we can do that until we get get the FN layer toggle figured out, its not like you cant re-flash the teensy as you see if anyways
Yes hopefully once the base firmware for Phantom is worked on more Ill see if a toggleable layer is possible or if that function can be worked in.

Quote from: ishtob;453965
ahh shoot, I forgot to bring my keycap puller with me, I'll have to wait to test out your firmware after I get home, later this evening.
No problem its not like im completely in a hurry we still have a few things that need to be figured out before I plan on ordering.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:32:50 by TheProfosist »

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #245 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 09:52:38 »
Or you could go with the original idea I came up with for the Fn layer.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?23453-Ordering-from-onlinecomponents&p=445194&viewfull=1#post445194 (more pictures, not mine, from another member who purchased the keyswitch)
It costs about 11.32 each, plate mounted. But I only purchased one for my left Fn key as the right one will be used as a hold down temporary Fn switch, the left one can be toggled to stay on until pressed again. To me, definitely worth it. Also thinking about getting another one for one of my left shift key as I use the right one far more often. I prefer having shift lock instead of caps lock because shift + keys does more than caps lock + keys.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:03:00 »
Thosee would be perfect for the phantom I had 2 keys doing nothing now with those I could toggle layer though I  doubt you could toggle 2 at the same time.

Offline ishtob

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:18:41 »
woa.. where would we get a hold of that switch?

Offline bloodygood

Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #248 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:20:46 »
Quote from: ishtob;454009
woa.. where would we get a hold of that switch?
Sorry about that, it was on the first page of the thread I linked to, I forgot to actually link it here also
http://www.onlinecomponents.com/cherry-electrical_mx1a31nn.html?p=11075424 This is it, as I said I have purchased it from here with no problem
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:25:06 by bloodygood »

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Dox KB, Build your own!
« Reply #249 on: Thu, 17 November 2011, 10:26:58 »
might put 4 on my Phantom shift locks and layer toggles. does online components have better prices on other items than mouser?

also ishtop your going to put another DOX together right? mind doing a step by step of just a instructions on the basics of putting it together.