Author Topic: Model M 122-key and AutoHotKey  (Read 3958 times)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Model M 122-key and AutoHotKey
« on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 09:55:05 »
Background: I want to use AutoHotKey to remap/add functions for some of the keys on a Unicomp 122-key Model M (#BO40B56).  I downloaded and installed AHK on my work laptop, seems to work fine and I tried a few sample scripts I've found online, the board works well using the PS2 port on the docking station.

Question: AHK suggests adding a new keyboard profile to the application once it's installed, to use as a template for key-mapping.  Are there sources for these templates already created for this 122-key unit?  I don't want to have to create one from scratch if there's a library of existing samples somewhere.

Or am I going about this all wrong?  Is there a simpler way to reassign the keys, like moving Delete back to where it belongs (in the spot currently used by End..), etc.?  And making use of the extra function keys on the left and F13-F24?

Offline gabinetex

Re: Model M 122-key and AutoHotKey
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:10:07 »
Hi,
I'm new to keyboards and Geekhack,   but I have exactly the same model ( Unicomp 122 key #B040B56) and this is what i found so far:
When I first got the keyboard, I noticed that pressing F13-F24 and most of the extra keys generated combination scancodes, for instance, pressing F13 produced Shift+F1... etc. Luckily, reading through the posts at Geekhack I found the solution for that:
Open the keyboard, (you will need a nut driver for that, 5 or 5.5mm I'm not sure), you will then find 3 jumpers,  remove the one marked JP3.
 Once you do that, each key will send its dedicated unique scancode. Follow then the instructions specified here:
http://www.seasip.info/Misc/122key_nt.html

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 09:51:20 »
If you are using a Teensy, the method wcass suggested in post #560 in this thread works great, and is very simple.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0
They may have gagged Trump.
They didn’t gag me.
They can’t gag me.
I have no gag reflex.
I am ungaggable.
I have trained my whole life for this.
– Lauren Boebert 2024-05-16

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:10:11 »
If you are using a Teensy, the method wcass suggested in post #560 in this thread works great, and is very simple.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=17458.0

This Unicomp board I bought NIB, never even opened the case.  Works fine under Win7, just not all the "extra" keys.  I do have another IBM Model M terminal board I'm going to use your Teensy mod with, I'll check out wcass' method too.

(Btw, how do you search for a specific post number in a thread?  I don't see post numbers in my view, is there an option to enable these?)

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 10:12:37 »
Hi,
I'm new to keyboards and Geekhack,   but I have exactly the same model ( Unicomp 122 key #B040B56) and this is what i found so far:
When I first got the keyboard, I noticed that pressing F13-F24 and most of the extra keys generated combination scancodes, for instance, pressing F13 produced Shift+F1... etc. Luckily, reading through the posts at Geekhack I found the solution for that:
Open the keyboard, (you will need a nut driver for that, 5 or 5.5mm I'm not sure), you will then find 3 jumpers,  remove the one marked JP3.
 Once you do that, each key will send its dedicated unique scancode. Follow then the instructions specified here:
http://www.seasip.info/Misc/122key_nt.html

So glad someone posted to this thread!  I just started using the 122-key unit again (had been distracted by an influx of Alps keyboards...), and the non-functional extended function keys were bugging me.  I'll give your method a try!