Author Topic: quick fabrication problem with my new pc build  (Read 3624 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
quick fabrication problem with my new pc build
« on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:09:17 »
so, as almost no one knows, because i never really got far enough on this project, i run my desktop in a completely stripped-to-the-frame antec lanboy air. anyway, long story short, i'm rebuilding it to be even more minimal (because something went poof but i don't know what -- look for a huge deal in the classifieds on a 3770k package soon) and i have a SERIOUS PROBLEM GUYS

basically, i have no PCI backplate (you know, the slots in the frame that pci card ports back out into. i also have a video card that weighs, i **** you not, like 7lbs. i have no idea how to support this thing. even when i had a pci backplate, it sagged, and that was WITH a metal backplate reinforcing the pcb itself.

pics in a second. looking for quick but clean ideas that don't involve zip ties (unless they look particularly awesome). i do have a ton of instamorph though..

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: quick fabrication problem with my new pc build
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:20:15 »
potatocam incoming

ok, completely worthless. HOLD ON HOLD ON

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:25:33 »
Can't you just place it horizontally?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline regack

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:25:38 »
potatocam incoming

is there no support for the video card at the back of the "case" either?  First thing that pops into my head is either some kind of vertical supports from the bottom of the case (or PSU) to take the load off the top edge of the card, or some rivets and some pieces of aluminum angle...

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:30:38 »
Can't you just place it horizontally?
so heavy that even in horizontally it threatens to destroy the connector.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:37:12 »
horizontal and vertical pictures that give a much better geometric intuition of what's going on.

ultimate orientation for the case will be vertical due to how the lanboy air drive mounts work

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:43:34 »
potatocam incoming

is there no support for the video card at the back of the "case" either?  First thing that pops into my head is either some kind of vertical supports from the bottom of the case (or PSU) to take the load off the top edge of the card, or some rivets and some pieces of aluminum angle...
yah, i've thought about the latter, but want to keep the aesthetics as clean as possible (and i don't have any bar stock or channel sitting around right now). the former was my first thought, but instamorph, which i can dye, isn't strong enough to support that much weight over that much distance without just being a solid brick of the stuff.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:46:35 »
What about some cheap L-brackets from a hardware store.  Screw them into the pre-tapped holes in the case and use a few washers to set it off from the chasis.  Put a few o-rings on it to kill vibrations.  Spray it black for aesthetics or use some truck liner spray to kill conductivity.

You could install the L-brackets upside down like in the photo below (L-brackets would be the red lines).  It's hard to tell the geometry from your pics so maybe this idea won't work at all. *shrug*

Edit: I just realized I drew the L-brackets on the wrong side of the case (lmao)...you get my idea though.
Double edit:  Man I really need to read threads before replying.  I see my solution was already suggested.  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:54:47 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 19:55:30 »
actually i think you got it nearly right akimbo. the trick is to mount a support between the vertical bars that separate the drive cage from the motherboard compartment. that's where the vast majority of the weight is. i think i can actually do this with a single tensioned wire. off to do something crazy. thanks man.

also i think i'm seriously going to glue a raid card to a video card heatsink. wish me luck dudes.

Offline regack

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 April 2013, 20:35:58 »
actually i think you got it nearly right akimbo. the trick is to mount a support between the vertical bars that separate the drive cage from the motherboard compartment. that's where the vast majority of the weight is. i think i can actually do this with a single tensioned wire. off to do something crazy. thanks man.

also i think i'm seriously going to glue a raid card to a video card heatsink. wish me luck dudes.

come back with pictures... once you work it out.  some thin aircraft cable would look pretty cool suspending the card from above...

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 00:05:08 »

I'm not sure if that's the answer, but you may have something with the wire idea.

I don't know which direction "vertical" is with your case, but I would suspect it ends up with the PSU on the bottom. If this is the case, I would recommend taking a wire from the hole that the PCI slotcover screws into to the top of the case and let it "hang" from that. Ideally, you'd also have one on the back end of the card near where the power connectors are, and if you want to be even more proper about it, having a standoff or brace (folded paper would work in theory) going from the PSU to the GPU for it to rest on (just in case) would also work.
http://i.imm.io/14eet.jpeg

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 02:21:51 »
I have a antec lanboy air just sitting in my garage. you want it? I have the pci backplane and everything as far as I know.

Offline fl0w3n

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 02:40:58 »
I wouldn't worry too much about it with the card vertical.

I used to run my two DC2 580s without them secured to anything other than the PCI slot. They were triple slot cards, so I'm sure similarly heavy as yours.
Just make sure they are snug in the slot.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 15:35:23 »
I've seen more than few people with sagging cards make a post that holds it up.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 20:41:29 »
I have a antec lanboy air just sitting in my garage. you want it? I have the pci backplane and everything as far as I know.
yah, i'll take it. pm me. i munged my backplane trying to strip it down then thought it would be cool to make it look like everything was levitating.

basically, i did the wire thing. to ron's chagrin it works. non-potatocam pics at some point when i pull the cables that make it actually work (they're still ugly).

i think this is going to work for about 3 more hours though before something breaks though, so eventually i'm going to need to return the LBA to a boring but functional state

but then i discovered THIS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108437

which i think the final functional build will be in
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:12:39 by mkawa »

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:21:47 »
Or you can consider those "pc bench case".
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:22:05 »
they don't look badass enough

HO HO HO

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:38:53 »
ok, non-potato pics on request of ron

quite hard to see the actual high-tension wires because they are tiny compared to the logic-level stuff, but hopefully ron can get the idea from this. long story short, it was fun, but the wires are going to slip through the hot glue in due time
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 21:41:04 by mkawa »