Author Topic: Signature Plastics' DSS tooling  (Read 71305 times)

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
Re: Signature Plastics' DSS tooling
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 17 May 2019, 15:00:45 »
from https://pimpmykeyboard.com/whats-new/

"We hope to have DSS Dolch ready to release by the middle of June."

Offline grizzly_teddy

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 01:22:37 »
Came here to say that I just got some DSS caps in a grab bag! Not all 5 rows. Looks like 3 of them. Texture feels just like DSA. But honestly I'm confused because R3 seems to be tallest.
> The way GH looks now, to a regular person, it screams, "Oh dang, this is one of **those** sites for really devoted and weird people".

Offline cola375

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 08:43:38 »
I saw the updated product page.
I was excited about the variety of child kits.
But the split space bar set is missing.
Do you have any plans for blank keys?

Offline elfick

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 17:23:52 »
Looks very nice :o

My only complaint is that there is no stepped caps lock key, just a regular 1.75u with an off-centre stem (at least that's how it seems from the pictures). I hope they plan to add a proper stepped caps in future.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 17:44:51 by dr_derivative »
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 18:11:08 »
My only complaint is that there is no stepped caps lock key, just a regular 1.75u with an off-centre stem (at least that's how it seems from the pictures).
Yikes. Pressing that off-centre would be like using a ANSI Enter key without stabilisers
Hmm. I would also question the choice of having function keys in the base set.

Nice to see a "NORDE" set ("International Kit"). Too bad that there's not yet any ISO Enter key. I have not identified which layout the Ñ key is for.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 18:16:08 by Findecanor »

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 18:13:17 »
Looking at the kits, I wonder if they've heard of 65% keyboards.  They're not really giving us any options for the right hand column above the right arrow.  I realize the ~` / Delete / PgUp / PgDn I prefer isn't as common as Home/PgUp/PgDn/End, but it doesn't look like those kits allow for either one.  If the navigation keys in the modifiers kit have their rows labelled correctly, then the keys that should be R2 (Del, End, Page Down) are R1, which seems weird.  Hopefully that's just a bad picture.

Offline zslane

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 10:27:12 »
I don’t understand the row profiles. I guess that DSS R1 is the same as DSA R3, and all the other rows angle “towards the top” like SA R4? That’s a really odd profile family, if you ask me.

DSA never had an ISO Enter key; DSS will be shipping with the same DCS ISO Enter key that DSA sets always have.

BTW, did DSS Dolch sell out already, or is it simply not out yet?

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #58 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 15:15:43 »
They haven't started selling DSS Dolch yet.  From the product description on this page:

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/new-dss-dolch-keyset/

"We will be launching DSS Dolch on Wednesday, May 29th, at 11:00am PT."

It's also mentioned in their keycap status here:

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/whats-new/

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 15:56:45 »
I don’t understand the row profiles. I guess that DSS R1 is the same as DSA R3, and all the other rows angle “towards the top” like SA R4? That’s a really odd profile family, if you ask me.
The angles are standard, comparable to most vintage keyboards and keyboards with cylindrical keycaps such as DCS.
It is SA that the odd one out: SA had been designed back in the day to be mounted on angled stems -- and it would get similar angles to DSS when mounted on such a keyboard. It just hasn't been used that way as much in recent times, so that we modern users of SA are not used to them.

Offline dr_derivative

• Not a real doctor
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 16:52:06 »

DSA never had an ISO Enter key; DSS will be shipping with the same DCS ISO Enter key that DSA sets always have.

It's very similar to DCS if you look at the picture above. SA has a kind of weird curved sculpt with no step between rows. Most 'normal' sculpted profiles like DCS or Cherry have a step down from each row to the one below it, as does DSS.

Also, where did you get that info about the ISO enter? Earlier in this thread they said they'd be making a DSS ISO key.
GH/Reddit/DT: dr_derivative | Discord: dr_derivative#3618 | IG: dr_derivative_mk
MK Ireland Discord: https://discord.gg/2KdxJzR

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 17:07:32 »

(Attachment Link)

It's very similar to DCS if you look at the picture above. SA has a kind of weird curved sculpt with no step between rows. Most 'normal' sculpted profiles like DCS or Cherry have a step down from each row to the one below it, as does DSS.

Also, where did you get that info about the ISO enter? Earlier in this thread they said they'd be making a DSS ISO key.

DSS and GMK (Cherry) are also quite similar.  Biggest difference is the dish: DSS is spherical, GMK is cylindrical.

I set the bottom of the GMK keycaps below the top of the case to get a similar gap between keycaps.  This GMK case appears to protrude further above the PCB than this DSS case does.

Assuming both cases protrude the same amount above the PCB:

« Last Edit: Mon, 27 May 2019, 11:15:18 by dvorcol »

Offline zslane

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 11:09:42 »
Ah, okay, it all makes sense now. DSS is sorta like a spherical Cherry profile. I will definitely give it a try, but I confess I was hoping it would like a lower profile version of SA (kinda how DSA is a lower profile version of SA row3). SA is my favorite keycap family, so...

Offline garbo

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 12:12:37 »
Ah, okay, it all makes sense now. DSS is sorta like a spherical Cherry profile. I will definitely give it a try, but I confess I was hoping it would like a lower profile version of SA (kinda how DSA is a lower profile version of SA row3). SA is my favorite keycap family, so...

Sounds like JTK should have you covered on that front with their "half height SA"-like profile. Not to distract from the topic at hand.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 19:35:56 »
It looks like a mix of DSA and SA. High profile flat goodness.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 19:39:24 »

Sounds like JTK should have you covered on that front with their "half height SA"-like profile. Not to distract from the topic at hand.

Isn't JTK pretty much an exact replica of cherry profile?? Or do they have more than one profile they use??

On topic I want to try DSS profile.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 19:41:12 »

Isn't JTK pretty much an exact replica of cherry profile?? Or do they have more than one profile they use??

What is JTK ?  :-X

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 20:25:23 »

Yes, JTK is a cherry profile clone. I’ve never heard of JTK making an SA profile. That’s news to me

Offline garbo

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 28 May 2019, 20:37:14 »

Yeah, they do the cherry caps, but are also developing the new lower SA profile. Pictures have been posted in the chinese community: https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/14066 and https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/14017

Also on topic... I've never really liked Dolch's brownish grey, but I'm psyched for DSS so will probably pick up this first set anyway.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 01:08:46 »
I was looking at the DSS Dolch kits again, and I realized I don't see a 1.75U shift in there anywhere.  The Extreme Modifier Kit includes a 2.25U, 2U, and 1U shift, but there doesn't appear to be a 1.75U in any of the kits.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 03:49:07 »
I was looking at the DSS Dolch kits again, and I realized I don't see a 1.75U shift in there anywhere.
It's at the bottom of the image of the Pro Modifier set.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 05:43:55 »

Yes, JTK is a cherry profile clone. I’ve never heard of JTK making an SA profile. That’s news to me

Ok thanks  :thumb:

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 08:24:59 »
That top surface texture... why??

You guys could/should have done a community poll on this. I would be surprised if "textured like DSA" won out over "smooth like SA".
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline SMKNGNZ

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 14:21:43 »
This was existing tooling (except for a few shapes), not something new we built.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 15:21:59 »

You guys could/should have done a community poll on this. I would be surprised if "textured like DSA" won out over "smooth like SA".

Yes the surface texture isn't ideal for me. Maybe some people prefer it though.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 16:43:09 »

Yeah, they do the cherry caps, but are also developing the new lower SA profile. Pictures have been posted in the chinese community: https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/14066 and https://www.zfrontier.com/post/detail/14017

Also on topic... I've never really liked Dolch's brownish grey, but I'm psyched for DSS so will probably pick up this first set anyway.

Huh, that new JTK stuff looks quite good!
So glossy, too. Would love to get such a set (well, different coloway, though ;)

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 17:23:49 »
This was existing tooling (except for a few shapes), not something new we built.

Would it be possible to add an R3 Page Up and R4 Page Down to one of the modifier kits?  Or is there some other way I could get those two keys?  I'd like to try this profile on a 65% (Tada68).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 17:48:19 »
I keep wanting to checkout but I'd be spending ~$200 to get the kits I want/need to fit my board(s), just don't think I can do it.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 20:00:41 »

I prefer textured :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 29 May 2019, 22:20:07 »

I prefer textured :)

I also prefer a bit of texture.  When the caps are smooth like on SPs SA finish, I find my fingers stick to the keycaps slightly as I move across the keys.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 03:01:21 »

Good to know! That's pretty cool actually.. how long were these molds sitting unused before you decided to start this project?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 06:33:32 »
So DSS Hana when?  :p

Offline zslane

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 10:37:59 »
I would have loved to see a 1.75u R3 “Fn” keycap. It is not uncommon for 60% users to configure the Caps Lock key to be a left-side Fn key.

It would also be good to have a source for extra spacebars given that these are ABS.

But other than that, the set looks great! Already ordered mine.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 12:00:13 »
what case is this?

2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 12:54:49 »
what case is this?

Show Image

pretty sure that is the revised poker 2 with USB C

Offline Prelim

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 12:57:04 »
thanks!  :thumb:
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline blighty

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 15:17:39 »
I would have loved to see a 1.75u R3 “Fn” keycap. It is not uncommon for 60% users to configure the Caps Lock key to be a left-side Fn key.

It would also be good to have a source for extra spacebars given that these are ABS.

But other than that, the set looks great! Already ordered mine.

You could order an extra space bar as an "individual key" for $10?  I did that for a 2.75u shift key.
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline elfick

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:27:29 »
@SMKNGNZ Any idea when the ortho kit will be available?

Offline SMKNGNZ

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 30 May 2019, 16:47:36 »
We're hoping within two to three weeks.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 11:31:11 »
Got my set today but haven't put it on anything yet.  Everything looks nice from what I see.  Some sprue markings on the edges are a bit rougher than other sets I've received from SP, but they mostly won't be visible when mounted.

I did test a shift and enter cap on my novatouch and confirmed that it contacts the stabilizer housings, similar to cherry profile caps.  So.  I'll likely keep my MT3 caps on the novatouch.

Offline blighty

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 18:38:04 »
They didn't have me at hello like the MDA profile, but they are nice to type on.  The dolch coloured caps block light nicely, while the white on red, not so much.

220405-0

I do like how the 7u space doesn't cut into one's thumbs.  I was afraid it was going to be like DCS all over again.  LOL

220407-1
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 June 2019, 18:52:37 by blighty »
LZ ergo (MX silent red) | JER - A06 (MX silent black-red springs) | Duck Lightsaver V2 (MX red) | Duck Octagon V2 (gateron clear) (lifted pads) | Duck Orion V2 (gateron red) | TKC 1800 (gateron silent reds) | Mistel MD770 (MX red with GMK silencing clips) | Realforce R2TSLA-US4-IV | Realforce R2TLSA-US4-BK | TX 75 (gateron clear) | KBDFANS 75 ("vintage" MX blues) | Kinesis Freestyle Pro (MX red) | MS Surface Ergonomic | MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX black) | Phantom (Filco case) ("vintage" MX blacks | Spr1t 75% PCB x 2 (MX black and gateron clear) | Cherry G80-1865 (MX browns with black springs)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 03 June 2019, 21:18:52 »
They didn't have me at hello like the MDA profile, but they are nice to type on.  The dolch coloured caps block light nicely, while the white on red, not so much.

(Attachment Link)

I do like how the 7u space doesn't cut into one's thumbs.  I was afraid it was going to be like DCS all over again.  LOL

(Attachment Link)

Yes, the space bar might be my favorite thing about the profile

Offline cola375

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 22:56:09 »
The Pro mod set included "R1" 1.5 BS. At first I thought it was a photo error, but it wasn't. HHK Layout cannot be set up correctly: ( 
Will it be fixed in the future?
Also, I would like you to support the right end column of 65%.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2019, 07:47:10 by cola375 »

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 23:12:48 »
Still not a fan of this annoying kit system.

Offline japanitrat

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 02:58:02 »
The Pro mod set included "R1" 1.5 BS. At first I thought it was a photo error, but it wasn't. HHK Layout cannot be set up correctly: ( 
Will it be fixed in the future?
Also, I would like you to support the right column of 65%.

This. R1 1.5U Backspace is such a fail. There are like three different modifier kits but none support HHKB.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 09:31:50 »
I’m hoping they plan to add some keys in the future.   Norbauer asked them about missing keys in this profile and they said it was an oversight on their part.  I know they plan to make the keys for his set, but I’m not sure they’ll go back and fix these kits. 

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 18:42:46 »
No it won't. Only double-shot. We went down that road with the double-shot (ABS) SA tooling and were very unhappy with the results, especially with the darker PBT colors. Because of the large void left to fill without a first shot insert to balance the wall thickness, the parts were subject to sink, warping, flow lines, you name it. We see the same results, to a lesser degree, with the DSA tooling which was also designed for double-shot ABS molding. New DSA PBT molds are in the schedule with a late '18 early '19 completion.
What about blanks? I noticed a 1.25u row 3 cap with a legend, can it be ordered without?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline cola375

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 10:58:45 »
R1 1.5 BACKSPACE replacement support announced.
Check product page.Thank you, SP.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 11:47:16 »
R1 1.5 BACKSPACE replacement support announced.
Check product page.Thank you, SP.

Thanks for letting us know.  I sent a request for one :)

EDIT---
Aaaand, it's on the way
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2019, 12:31:16 by pixelpusher »

Offline melgeek

• MelGeek-Keyboards and Peripherals Manufacture
    • MelGeek
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 22:19:58 »

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

MDA BID BONE PROFILE
MelGeek- aim to bring the joy of using a mechanical keyboard to everyone.