Author Topic: [IC] GMK White Wolf 🐺  (Read 136498 times)

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Re: [IC] GMK White Wolf 🐺
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:25:48 »
Couldn't we have just ran a novelty kit for nines?

The Witcher hair color really is 2M though. Given the happenings in the MinimaII thread I'm not sure Emir would be up for it either.

Offline travwal

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 16:55:51 »
Dang, right while I'm reading the books! And here I was thinking I wasn't buying anymore keycap sets....

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:12:33 »
Couldn't we have just ran a novelty kit for nines?

The Witcher hair color really is 2M though. Given the happenings in the MinimaII thread I'm not sure Emir would be up for it either.

U9 does not fit this theme at all unfortunately.

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 17:46:53 »
I like it how you have it.

I'm sure youve got a milliion novelty ideas right now, but if Netflix Witcher Nilfgaardian armor texture gamer sets isn't the worst idea someone's shared with you, I've love to hear what's number one.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:04:24 »
I like it how you have it.

I'm sure youve got a milliion novelty ideas right now, but if Netflix Witcher Nilfgaardian armor texture gamer sets isn't the worst idea someone's shared with you, I've love to hear what's number one.

“Netflix Witcher Nilfgaardian are our texture gamer” is not something I would have ever expected to read. 😅 I don’t quite understand what it means either.

If you’re referring to reworking novelties, I’ll share soon. Light bulbs in my mind, not yet fully formed.

Offline Starlight-Dawn

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:44:17 »
YES YES YES!
A huge fan of the Witcher series. Thank you for making this into reality.

Re: [IC] GMK White Wolf
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:54:51 »

The left was the armor in the game. The right was the armor in the show, which was widely panned and the subject of several memes.

Under no circumstances should you actually use any of the armor on the right as inspiration for a non-meme set
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2020, 18:56:49 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline noodleman

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:11:38 »
ne 1.5u novelties avail?

also toss a coin to your witcherrrrr!!!! (please have a coin novelty)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 19:27:16 »
I have had a few requests to remake the novelties so they can be used as arrow keys and better fit Home/End/PgUp/PgDn. I might rework them.

I like the Scroll and Super suggestions. Will incorporate those.

For what it's worth, I think the Sign novelties look kickass as right column keys, but don't think they would work as arrows.

A setup like this would be good (highly versatile and every sign shows up twice):

(Home)  (Del, PrtSc)
(PgUp)  (End, Del)
(PgDn)  (PgUp)
(End)    (PgDn)

(Super)  (Super, Fn)

Offline fropsie

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 21:18:23 »
Since you didn't answer on reddit. Has CDPR given you permission to use the witcher signs in the novelty kit or not? Otherwise I believe you better think about doing something about that...

Offline Create_alt_delete

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:01:58 »

Since you didn't answer on reddit. Has CDPR given you permission to use the witcher signs in the novelty kit or not? Otherwise I believe you better think about doing something about that...

I'm not finding any info online which would indicate that all of "signs" symbols are copyrighted. While this certainly doesn't mean they are not copyrighted, it seems a little unlikely IMO. I'm not an expert, but copyrighting every symbol and icon used in series would be very tedious... you're talking hundreds upon hundred of copyrights. Have to draw the line somewhere, right?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:40:04 »
I'm not finding any info online which would indicate that all of "signs" symbols are copyrighted. While this certainly doesn't mean they are not copyrighted, it seems a little unlikely IMO. I'm not an expert, but copyrighting every symbol and icon used in series would be very tedious... you're talking hundreds upon hundred of copyrights. Have to draw the line somewhere, right?

I would be careful with that. The guys who run Netflix want a return from the investment, they will claim every abuse of their rights.
This is the official "The Witcher" logo, copyrighted for sure, and you can easily see the similarities in most aspects between the two (screenshot below).

For a non-commercial project, it would be more ok'sh.
In this case, were $$$ showing up, it's totally different story.
So I would be careful  ;) 

Good luck anyway!

« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:52:58 by dom »

Offline fropsie

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:45:01 »

While i would normally agree with you, these symbols are VERY popular in the game series. Although not every icon may be copyrighted, as I do understand it is quite tedious of a process, the Witcher Signs are of incredible significance in the games, and are an overall well known item of the game series. By "taking" art that is used through all 4 of the games (including Gwent in that), even a request for permission to use the logos should be adequate enough. Considering what happened with GMK Rudy with the use of the Notre Dame clover, this is just as risky, and CDPR is a company that is far more strict with their IP. After months of minor contact with CDPR (Wanted to run a set by the name of GMK White Wolf as well and had been planning it for the last 3 months) they seem to be pretty strong on their IP. I would just give a heads up to the designer of this set to at least try to get permission before taking the logos and essentially making money off of CDPRs IP.

Offline Create_alt_delete

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 23:58:28 »

While i would normally agree with you, these symbols are VERY popular in the game series. Although not every icon may be copyrighted, as I do understand it is quite tedious of a process, the Witcher Signs are of incredible significance in the games, and are an overall well known item of the game series. By "taking" art that is used through all 4 of the games (including Gwent in that), even a request for permission to use the logos should be adequate enough. Considering what happened with GMK Rudy with the use of the Notre Dame clover, this is just as risky, and CDPR is a company that is far more strict with their IP. After months of minor contact with CDPR (Wanted to run a set by the name of GMK White Wolf as well and had been planning it for the last 3 months) they seem to be pretty strong on their IP. I would just give a heads up to the designer of this set to at least try to get permission before taking the logos and essentially making money off of CDPRs IP.
A part of me wants to believe this hobby is far enough out of the mainstream that these GBs with their IP will go undetected... but I guess where there is money to be made, these companies will find it.

I had not heard about Rudy. That's unfortunate. It makes me wonder if other GBs with well-known IP (like DSA Galactic Empire and the multiple groups making Pokemon artisans) got permission or if they've just been lucky.

Offline fropsie

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 00:01:18 »

A part of me wants to believe this hobby is far enough out of the mainstream that these GBs with their IP will go undetected... but I guess where there is money to be made, these companies will find it.

I had not heard about Rudy. That's unfortunate. It makes me wonder if other GBs with well-known IP (like DSA Galactic Empire and the multiple groups making Pokemon artisans) got permission or if they've just been lucky.

DSA Galactic Empire was a licensed Starwars set. That is why it costs so much money even for a SP DSA keycap set.

Offline Jsdfbn

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 03:00:02 »
count me in

Offline Zaprey

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 07:11:15 »
i love the Witcher and the set looks fantastic
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2023, 14:31:28 by Zaprey »

Offline Zenith10010

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:07:21 »
Set looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the deskmat(s).

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:10:11 »

I will not publicly discuss any licensing agreements at this time, until they are or aren’t finalised. Please let me worry about the copyrights.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 April 2020, 08:11:48 by Moridin »

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 13 April 2020, 13:50:22 »
Also, since we are celebrating a Polish author with this set, maybe the base alphas could use the sub legends of the Polish Programmer’s QWERTY?

Show Image

That particular layout doesn’t differ from US QWERTY in any visible way except for those sub legends, so it wouldn’t add keys to the kit.

They would raise the price though. I don’t think GMK has moulds for those. So at least 15 USD on base added.

It might be worth asking if they have those or something very similar for Polish keyboards.  I imagine GMK does enough global business that they may have legends already created for a country that is literally right next door.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 00:47:57 »
Any board renders with the accents avail?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 02:33:59 »
Also, since we are celebrating a Polish author with this set, maybe the base alphas could use the sub legends of the Polish Programmer’s QWERTY?

Show Image

That particular layout doesn’t differ from US QWERTY in any visible way except for those sub legends, so it wouldn’t add keys to the kit.

They would raise the price though. I don’t think GMK has moulds for those. So at least 15 USD on base added.

It might be worth asking if they have those or something very similar for Polish keyboards.  I imagine GMK does enough global business that they may have legends already created for a country that is literally right next door.

If I were to add any Polish accents to honour Mr Sapkowksi, I’d probably prefer a flag to PL characters which would be most likely hated by most people.

Any board renders with the accents avail?

I will get more renders soon.

Also, IC form numbers are the 😈.

239860-0

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 02:35:19 »

So what if I dropped the accented 7u Spacebars and added a few accented split bars instead?

Edit:

« Last Edit: Tue, 14 April 2020, 03:13:20 by Moridin »

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 10:39:27 »
I kinda wish you called the whole thing Gwynbleidd. I think this is the first time Welsh is being used in a keyboard GB and it's got me feeling all sorts of patriotism.

As for the actual set, it's a really solid mono set and I like the duller contrast. The novelties are actually really well done, though I disagree with them being in the base kit. Would like to see the colours used to be mentioned too. That being said, this will do well!

Pob lwc!

Oh hey, born in Swansea here  ;D

I'm interested in this set depending on the cost. I was personally put off by the high cost of Lunar and had to skip it. IDK Numpad plus UK ISO in a separate kit has always been my preference if that means keeping cost down, I imagine there are many of us that have no use for either  :blank:

I’m trying to get the base as close as possible to 99 USD while keeping it on theme at the same time.

Amazing, thank you  :-*

I have had a few requests to remake the novelties so they can be used as arrow keys and better fit Home/End/PgUp/PgDn. I might rework them.

I like the Scroll and Super suggestions. Will incorporate those.

For what it's worth, I think the Sign novelties look kickass as right column keys, but don't think they would work as arrows.

A setup like this would be good (highly versatile and every sign shows up twice):

Show Image
(Home) 
Show Image
(Del, PrtSc)
Show Image
(PgUp) 
Show Image
(End, Del)
Show Image
(PgDn) 
Show Image
(PgUp)
Show Image
(End)   
Show Image
(PgDn)

Show Image
(Super) 
Show Image
(Super, Fn)

I really like this idea as well.

Offline socalmitch

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 14 April 2020, 11:38:40 »
Really stoked for this set! Thanks for ensuring proper alice support.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:58:41 »
The response to this set has been huge and exceeded any and all expectation that I had!

You sent me a ton of feedback and I actually tried to go through it all. Replies to the most common or controversial feedback below.

I would love to see more novelties!

I could add more novelties, but this would raise the price of the novelty kit. Trying to keep both things balanced as much as possible. Will reconsider after getting a price quote from GMK.

split numpad and iso to a separate kit to make the base kit cheaper

I prefer kits with separate numpad so I don’t need to buy that as well, personally

Please don't split Numpad. I don't understand the thought process of cutting a $10-15 kit when you're already spending $100+. And then asking people that do want Numpad to pay $30-40 is madness to me.

Base kit without a numpad would be 10 USD cheaper but the new numpad kit would cost 30-50 USD, depending if I put ISO in it or not. This will make it much harder for it to hit MOQ.

Light alphas is needed for those who want to deviate a little from the original design and require more contrast between their modifiers and alphas. :)

Please see my proposed kit below — I'll post it in a few minutes.

Fewer spacebars in spacebar kit, or put split grey spacebars in base. Love the kit otherwise, it's what I've been looking for!

Again, this is a balance thing. I really want all three colours, for all three characters, to be fully represented in the accents.

Possible to get a shine-through novelty kit?

See-through for rgb backlit

GMK does not do shine-through due to the inferior quality of opaque plastic.

Add keys of all the signs or Witcher schools

This design is focused on Geralt, Yen, and Ciri. I could do a full Witcher set, but I just wanted to focus on on those three with a specific theme I had in mind.

I'd love to have an Iso NorDe Kit, I was searching for a GMK set with an iso kit with nice colours for a year now :)

I'd love to do NorDEUK but it would have an MOQ of 100 and I forsee 20-50 purchases at most.

A design on some of the space bars would be nice.

GMK does only pad printing on spacebars. This is not of acceptable quality.

I really hope there is a deskmat that is created for this because even if I couldn't get the keycaps I would 100% get a deskmat. Something that I think would look cool is doing the symbol design like one of the GMK Lunar deskmats but doing it with the signs. Other than that something like GMK Ashes mat would also be awesome. Good luck man! I hope I can pick one of these up!

There will be a desk mat!

To add on to my previous response, please consider moving the novelties in base and include more 2M accents to emphasise a little more of the ‘White Wolf’ portion of the set

The base kit without novelties would just be a regular N9/2M set. This is not what I'm going for. If you don't mind a warmer light grey, just pick up GMK Nines. I'd like GMK White Wolf to stand on its own and be unique in a minimalist fashion.

I'd rather see 1.5u Code keys in the base kit than novelties, which I almost never use. Otherwise, it looks great. Will def check out the White Wolf books, too.

They're there 🙂, although I will change them to "Super".

Instead of having the one steel sword printed on the enter key, you could have a steel sword on one shift key and a silver sword in the other to make it more true to the Geralt wielding two swords. :) GMK Red Samurai does this with katanas for reference.

I considered this but I won't want to be seen as ripping off GMK Red Samurai's design. More feedback welcome, as usual.

Would be cool to have a runic silver sword with an angled hilt (V-shaped like the show/game) and the traditional steel sword with a regular hilt as the shifts. That way it fits Geralt with the two sword theme.

Creating more novelties is a delicate act of keeping the theme and price of the kits balanced. I would like this set to be more affordable than my previous ones, especially since our world economy isn't exactly stellar at the moment.

F-key caps added to Zirael?

Please elaborate.

A Roach text novelty please!

OK.

Could you add 1.75 r3 (enter or novelty) key for 40s support (mainly Elise personally but could help other 40s fellas). I'm planning to alternate using this between Rukia and Elise and these caps would complement both perfectly. Tytyty

I have received so many "just add one key" suggestions, that were I to sum them all up, I'd have to add another 20 keys to base. This would raise the price substantially for all of us, while giving benefits to a select few. I really wish GMK had a different structure which would allow for this to be made, but they don't. Sorry. 😞

For 65%, a R3 PgUp and a R4 PgDn would be nice. An international/nordic kit would also be nice.

What keyboard do you use those keys on, and why? I would suggest just using the novelties instead, so as not to add more keys to base?

Possibly more novelties overall, definitely more of the 1.25 length for the bottom row.

Considering this.

It would be cool to have a set with the witcher Elder language on the alphas

This would raise the price of the base kit to over 160 USD.

On GH you said extra B for Alice but it’s not in the render. Also, I would like to see 1u convex spacekey. I know not all set offers it in spacebar kit and it seems to be 50/50, but for me personally, not having all three space bars being convex really bothers me.

Yeah, error in the render (I missed it when checking) — sorry!

I'll think about the 1u convex spacebar.

Maybe change the number pad's enter key to use a steel sword icon? It'd be neat to have both since his two swords are so impotant.

I considered this, but again — this will raise the base kit price.

The teal/blue green accent be a little more bright blue, similar to the in-game Aard teal

I have decided to use stock colours (I'll get a photo of them up soon) so this isn't really possible.

NORDE kit and its a instant buy for me!

Unfortunately, there are so few NorDEUK kit buyers that its chances of hitting MOQ are very small.

If you could put Asian/foreign language letters in white underneath the regular letters I’d loveeee it!

I assume you mean something like Katakana. This does not fit the theme, especially since the Witcher has nothing to do with Japanese culture.

I would like to see icon mods added (preferably to base)

I would too but they don't really fit in well.

you might want to consider using vendors other the TKC -such as NovelKeys

that have better MOQ pricing for kits

Move numpad or get a less expensive vendor. TKC pricing is always on the higher end CONSISTENTLY along with kono, while dixiemech, novelkeys, cannonkeys, TXkeyboards, and others have had much more fair prices. Stock color sets should not be costing 130-160 per kit before shipping.

1. I don't work for TKC but I do have some insight into how my kits were priced. They're not priced higher than other vendors if the kits were exactly the same.

2. TKC chooses to run with more complicated and expensive sets, such as my own GMK Lunar. That set had 77 new moulds and it cost 160 USD and trust me when I say that it was priced competitively.

3. Using Stock, RAL, or Pantone colours has NO EFFECT on price.

4. MOQ has an effect on price but this depends on the results of the IC.

I love this theme, would definitely buy all kits. Please include colevrak+ support though.

I would love to add Colevrak+ but there's not enough interest for this kit to hit MOQ.

it'd be cool if there was some sort of design on the space bar, possibly a white version of one of the witchers swords or the 5 main signs (the ones from the game, not the book) lined up

GMK does not do doubleshot spacebars, which leaves pad printing and this is inferior quality.

I'd love to see the split spacebars in Purple, Teal, and Light grey.

I considered this but that would substantially increase the price of the set.

Could use kingdom crest colors for accents. Temeria, Nilfgaard, etc...

It would not fit my theme, focusing on three specific characters — Geralt, Yen, and Ciri.

If the Ciri and Yennefer accents are only available in the novelties kit then they deserve some cool icons instead of the standard Enter arrow. Please make ALL 5 signs available in 1u R1.

I did consider this, but that would require yet more moulds from GMK. I really want the kit to be affordable enough so that more people can enjoy it. I don't think a 100 USD novelty kit would sell well.

Change the novelty rune keys to match the spell color

Unlikely to happen but if the signs could be doubleshot with their respective colors in the game (i.e. red symbol for Igni) that would be marvelous.

I considered this but then everything gets a bit... busy. So many colours on a minimalist in nature set. I will think some more if I can come up with some sort of compromise.

I’d like to make colour change if you are willing to do something like that for me.

Not quite sure what you have in mind but feel free to contact me on here, Discord, or IG.

Left shift could be "silver" of some kind, maybe for flourish the sign keys could come in colours.

Could you please elaborate?

Corsair K95 with the 18 G keys on the left side, it's an older board. I'm guessing the keys will fit but I'm concerned regardless

If you get the novelties kit, you'll be covered for this board without problems.

I would love this if the modifiers, numbers and maybe punctuation had a different color like the blue Purchasable as an additional kit.

Not exactly sure if you mean the keys themselves or just the legends on the keys?

Subtle runic style lettering!

This would make the base kit very expensive (see above).

Vim arrows on the HJKL keys

I love VIM arrows and I could do another kit with those, but (1) that would mean a lot of kits and (2) I don't know if the demand is there. Will consider this.

Maybe adding the other witcher classes as novelty options? Or a gold colorway for Geralts eyes?

I settled on 4 colours — 2M silver (Geralt's hair), N9 dark grey (Geralt's clothes and the overall night theme of his line of work), TU1 teal/blue-ish for Ciri's eyes and DY for Yen's eyes. I would prefer not to add even more colours as they would break the theme of this set.

Smaller right shift, for 65% layout

Included.

"Core Kit: It would be nice to slim it down a bit more ~
- no wolf novelty escape
- no sword novelty ansi and iso enters
- no 2m accent arrows
- no 2u shift
- no row 3 1.25u tab
- no 1.5u codes"

I'm trying to balance the base kit to be as usable as possible for as many people as possible, keep the price down, and keep it on theme.

No novelties would just make it a plain N9/2M set.
I don't really have a good place to put the ISO keys in.
Accented arrows will be moved to the novelties set.
2u Shift will remain.
R3 1.25u Tab will remain for those 40s that require it.
1.5u Codes (changed to Supers) will remain for HHKB.

I don't know if this is too much to ask for, but can you theme the novelties around in game symbols versus the TV show symbols. Huge fan of the books and Witcher 3, but I though the show was really meh. So having yennefer and geralt's necklace pendants from the games instead of the netfilx promotional symbols would be super cool.

Will consider, but not likely.

All text mods or all icon mods pls, not both

There are a couple of ways to do these. Icons on R1-R3 + R4 text. Text on all. Icons on all. Icons + text on R1-R3. I personally most like the setup I chose but I am considering going all text, so as not to distract from the novelty keys.

Can you make the arrow keys and last column closer to the main section so it is more compact?

I don't understand — please elaborate what you mean exactly.

Does the spacebar kit include 2.25u and 2.75u?  I don't know by sight what the smaller included space bar sizes are. Might want to include that info for the relative noobs, ty.

Yes. The spacebar kit has: 275 + 225 + 200 + 125, all convex.

I will add sizes to the next set of renders.

I would love to have a regular ESC keycap in the lighter grey color similar to the arrow keys. Side note, I want the 7V too and was not sure which color to get. This kit definitely is pushing me to get the grey 7V. Thanks!

It will be included in the novelty kit.

Normal accent keys in the white grey color (2M I believe) add to the base kit. Novelty (sword/wofl) accent keys removed from base kit and move them to the novelties kit. I understand the idea behind having novelty accent keys in base kit of you but honestly it kinda out of place.

Repeated from above: The base kit without novelties would just be a regular N9/2M set. This is not what I'm going for. If you don't mind a warmer light grey, just pick up GMK Nines. I'd like GMK White Wolf to stand on its own and be unique in a minimalist fashion.

Please include the steel and solver swords somehow in the base kit! Maybe steel on the shift and silver on the enter, or something like that! Oh man that would be so cool.

I would love to add more novelties, but I really want to keep the price balanced.

expanding the novelties set to include more sizes would be cool, i.e some 1.25u, 1.5u, 1.75u, 2u, 2.25u keys to replace the bottom row mods, shift, caps lock, backspace, etc.

Price would increase substantially but I will consider adding a few more text novelties.

1. The magic signs need color, like the Oblivion keycap set the signs need their game color.
2. You probably took your inspiration from the Netflix-series but I would want a steel sword. Maybe the right shift?
3. The look of the keyboard is rather minimalistic, I like it, but I also like the blue. This color is amazing. Why does the Zireael Kit not have swords on the enter key?
4. The F keys: I don't use them as much, but I need them sometimes, maybe you can put Game Icons on them, instead of the boring F1, F2, F3, etc. ( https://witcher.fandom.com/wiki/Category:The_Witcher_3_images_-_Map_icons )
5. I don't know how possible it is, but an iconic line on the space bar would be so cool. Like ""The world doesn't need a hero, it needs a professional"" - Geralt of Rivia. But I don't know if this is too long of so.
6. If the fount is Morpheus, the Letters would look like Witcher, but I think that would destroy the minimalistic look of it.
7. Maybe a Macro-Kit with the Witcher schools on the keys, but I haven't found good school icons, I may be able to help you design them.

So those are just my ideas, maybe not all of them are improvements, but I would be really into such a kit and I would go out of my way to help you.

Re. 1: This could work if they were always in the exact same locations but since these novelties are designed to work on various layouts and keyboards, it makes the whole design look really busy and less attractive.
Re. 2: Inspiration is mostly from the books. See the 1-2 paragraphs from the first post.
Re. 3: Geralt's 2M keys in the novelty kit will have swords. I could add the swords to Ciri's Enters but they don't fit on Yen's. Will consider.
Re. 4: This would increase the price substantially.
Re. 5: GMK doesn't do doubleshot spacebars and pad printing is inferior in terms of quality and durability.
Re. 6: This would require all new moulds and increase the base kit's price to 160+ USD.
Re. 7: I like this idea but not for this set, which I'm trying to keep focused on Geralt, Ciri, and Yen.

Please incluse a "Hmm" novelty as well! Maybe for the backspace?

I think you could also get a few chuckles by adding a "****" and a "Hmm" key. ;)

Done.

Is there a way I can sign up to be notified if/when this set goes up for sale? I don't follow these things closely, but would absolutely hate to miss out on this particular set.

You can follow this set along here:

- Instagram @imoridinskeyboards (https://instagram.com/moridinskeyboards)

- Reddit @ morid1n — I will post updates in r/MechanicalKeyboards and r/Mechmarket

- Geekhack — just subscribe to this thread to receive notifications on updates

Cheers everyone and feedback is always welcome!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 07:25:13 »
Some proposed changes to the novelty kit and a new silver alphas (2M) kit. These are KLE mockups, not full renders. Those will come later.

240099-0

- Added 2M on N9 Esc
- Added sword on ISO Enter (this will also be on the ISO Enter in the base kit)
- Added 3 text novelties — "Roach" (designed for R3 Caps Lock / Control), "****" (for R1 Backspace), and "Hmm" (for R1 1u, e.g. Esc, F1-13, 1-9, PgUp, Home, etc.)

240101-1

Feedback welcome.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 07:29:21 by Moridin »

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 08:13:48 »
Some proposed changes to the novelty kit and a new silver alphas (2M) kit. These are KLE mockups, not full renders. Those will come later.

(Attachment Link)

- Added 2M on N9 Esc
- Added sword on ISO Enter (this will also be on the ISO Enter in the base kit)
- Added 3 text novelties — "Roach" (designed for R3 Caps Lock / Control), "****" (for R1 Backspace), and "Hmm" (for R1 1u, e.g. Esc, F1-13, 1-9, PgUp, Home, etc.)

(Attachment Link)

Feedback welcome.

That is absolutely gorgeous

Offline ryou965

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 09:46:50 »
Tossed a coin

Offline Eddie_Caps

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:01:22 »
I've always used stepped caps lock, but I'd build a board without it for that Roach novelty. Thanks for listening to all the feedback! You can count on me to go ham on this set.  :thumb:

Offline manzel

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:40:07 »
The text novelties look a little out of place with icon mods. Apart from that they are nice. And I'd like if you also added a 1u Yrden since the 1.25u keys cannot be used on Tsangan layouts. Possibly in R1? That way one could use all five signs in the right column of a 75 and still have an arrow in the bottom row.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:42:37 »
The text novelties look a little out of place with icon mods. Apart from that they are nice. And I'd like if you also added a 1u Yrden since the 1.25u keys cannot be used on Tsangan layouts. Possibly in R1? That way one could use all five signs in the right column of a 75 and still have an arrow in the bottom row.

Base will have all text mods. Will update soon.

Please clarify the rest of your post. 1u tsangan novelty would be R4?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 10:50:28 »
Instead of having the one steel sword printed on the enter key, you could have a steel sword on one shift key and a silver sword in the other to make it more true to the Geralt wielding two swords. :) GMK Red Samurai does this with katanas for reference.

I considered this but I won't want to be seen as ripping off GMK Red Samurai's design. More feedback welcome, as usual.

I'm pretty sure GMK Red Samurai does not do this with swords (it has cloud novelties on the Shifts instead), so you wouldn't be ripping off anything. I like this idea. +1

For 65%, a R3 PgUp and a R4 PgDn would be nice. An international/nordic kit would also be nice.

What keyboard do you use those keys on, and why? I would suggest just using the novelties instead, so as not to add more keys to base?

I'm not the original asker, but I will answer your question because I also use R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn and would like to see them added to the base kit. Those keys are popular options for 65%, 75% and I use them on every board that I own in those layouts. As for why, some people do it because it lets them have split backspace with R3 Delete (I fall into this group); others do it because they prefer to use R1 Home, R2 End in the right column; while the third group does it simply because they like the placement of PgUp, PgDn better that way. R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn is also the default layout on a number of 65% boards, including the Alt, which is arguably the most common 65% out in the wild. This helped further popularize the layout that was originally made popular by the Whitefox line of keyboards all the way back in 2015–2016.

Speaking of popularity, those keys have been seeing inclusion in the majority of recent GMK sets, in base kits more often than not. For example, 4/6 currently running GMK sets have R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn (6/8 if you include Infinikey and KAT), including Bleached which has them in its very tiny base kit. In that sense, those keys are seen much more frequently than 1.5u Supers. I should have some broader stats for you to look at soon, spanning all sets run in the past 10 months.

As for the novelties, at the moment they aren't laid out in a way that would make sense for R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn (see here for a suggestion that would work better, which I think also covers Manzel's use case). Plus, I'm not sure if I would even be buying the novelties kit, so having R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn as options in the base kit would be a welcome change for me. Since 65% boards make up the majority of my collection, support for these keys is a prerequisite for any set I buy (unless I really like it enough to look past it).
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:17:29 by konstantin »

Offline manzel

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:04:18 »
And I'd like if you also added a 1u Yrden since the 1.25u keys cannot be used on Tsangan layouts. Possibly in R1? That way one could use all five signs in the right column of a 75 and still have an arrow in the bottom row.

With how you have it currently, one cannot use all five signs on a 65/75 with 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5 bottom row (which I referred to as Tsangan). If you want to have the Yrden sign in the bottom row, that would be 1u R4, correct. But then that one sign would be separated from the others since exchanging only the right arrow for a sign would look strange. Therefore, having R1 Yrden would allow for five signs in the right column of a 75, while keeping the right arrow. On a 65, it would obviously not work because we are missing the f row. But here, one could use the R1 key if split backspace is used. Was just a suggestion, an 1u R4 key would also be better than only the 1.25u.

In that sense, those keys are seen much more frequently than 1.5u Supers.
Please keep at least one 1.5u Super (also nice that it is going to be Super instead of Code). This key is also useful for WKL layouts with Ctrl on Caps.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:13:06 »
With how you have it currently, one cannot use all five signs on a 65/75 with 1.5-1-1.5-7-1.5 bottom row (which I referred to as Tsangan). If you want to have the Yrden sign in the bottom row, that would be 1u R4, correct. But then that one sign would be separated from the others since exchanging only the right arrow for a sign would look strange. Therefore, having R1 Yrden would allow for five signs in the right column of a 75, while keeping the right arrow. On a 65, it would obviously not work because we are missing the f row. But here, one could use the R1 key if split backspace is used. Was just a suggestion, an 1u R4 key would also be better than only the 1.25u.
Could you check the suggestion I linked above and confirm if it covers your use case?

Please keep at least one 1.5u Super (also nice that it is going to be Super instead of Code). This key is also useful for WKL layouts with Ctrl on Caps.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for the removal of 1.5u Super here, just the addition of the two other keys. :D

Offline manzel

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:26:41 »
Could you check the suggestion I linked above and confirm if it covers your use case?
That would indeed work.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:39:09 »
(I’m not touching signs layouts until I finalise licensing issues. I saw your suggestion and will consider.)

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 11:40:25 »
Think a lot more could have been done with this. Just looks like a novelty kit for Ashes :/ Makes me sad.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 12:32:19 »
Think a lot more could have been done with this. Just looks like a novelty kit for Ashes :/ Makes me sad.

Not a very constructive comment.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 12:35:15 »
And I'd like if you also added a 1u Yrden since the 1.25u keys cannot be used on Tsangan layouts. Possibly in R1? That way one could use all five signs in the right column of a 75 and still have an arrow in the bottom row.

Misunderstood what you wrote. Now I get it. Yeah, I was going to shuffle the novelties around anyway but like I mentioned above, I’m not bothering until I get everything needed sorted.

If it’s not, then they’ll have to be redrawn anyway.

Keeping both Supers, will add those PgDn and PgUp keys for the 65s, and I also changed Lock to Scroll, as per someone’s suggestions. (I never connected “Scroll Lock” with “ancient scrolls” before. 😅)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 12:37:25 by Moridin »

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 13:34:33 »

How is it not constructive? It says that other than the novelties, it doesn't really look like a unique set.

Offline Eddie_Caps

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 14:27:12 »

How is it not constructive? It says that other than the novelties, it doesn't really look like a unique set.

It's not constructive because they're just stating an opinion without a solution or alternative idea. If they had said, "This doesn't look unique. Maybe if you did X and Y it would stand out more?" Then it would be constructive.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 22:08:30 »

Show Image

Well, this WOULD require correcting the R3 #~ keycap to \| .

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 22:52:58 »
Looks great!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 22:54:10 »
If you can add R3 PgUp and R4 PgDn it will be greatly appreciated.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 23:32:29 »

Keeping both Supers, will add those PgDn and PgUp keys for the 65s, and I also changed Lock to Scroll, as per someone’s suggestions. (I never connected “Scroll Lock” with “ancient scrolls” before. 😅)

:thumb:

Offline hmmmwhatsthis

• no
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 00:31:48 »

It's not constructive because they're just stating an opinion without a solution or alternative idea. If they had said, "This doesn't look unique. Maybe if you did X and Y it would stand out more?" Then it would be constructive.

It's not difficult to deduce that "It looks like Ashes" is both an opinion and has an inherent solution in it. Sorry if it's tough for you.

Not sure why this community has such a hard time with criticism.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 00:33:22 »

:thumb:

Thanks - wasn't looking closely. Beautiful set!

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 01:15:31 »

It's not difficult to deduce that "It looks like Ashes" is both an opinion and has an inherent solution in it. Sorry if it's tough for you.

Not sure why this community has such a hard time with criticism.

Ashes used custom colours and the base wasn’t mono - it had different colours for alphas and mods. Mods were lighter than alphas. There are many other sets which you could compare this to, for many different reasons, but why would you choose Ashes?

Criticism is good, when it’s constructive. Trying to figure out what you meant, said in a veiled fashion, isn’t. I’m not in your head and I have no clue what you’re referring to specifically. I don’t mind the former, in fact I encourage it, but the latter just wastes time and space.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #99 on: Sun, 19 April 2020, 01:18:58 »
Looks great!

Thanks Oldcat. Means a lot, coming from the one of the guys who brought my favorite keyboard to life. 🙃