Author Topic: [GB] DSS Sencillo | 15 May - 15 June !  (Read 16661 times)

Offline arq1999

[GB] DSS Sencillo | 15 May - 15 June !
« on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 19:36:20 »

Hi Today I bring you DSS Sencillo. It started as a 40s Kit, but now is for everyone and also has New trash icons made by the trashman! This was made by Chamoy and me

TLDR:

What? DSS Set made by Signature Plastics. Production time is 12 weeks
Shipping? OCT 2021
When? 05/15/21 To 06/15/21
Where? Many Places
Icons? By Trash Icons by Trash man
Colors? Stock SP Colors
Alphas: WFK
Legends: GB
Accents: RCJ, BFQ, RCS

SP Chips Below

More

Vendors:

Pricing

KITS

Alphas

Mods

40s

Accents
Accents Bundles are: Teal/Purple and Yellow/Pink

Macros, Numpad, UK ISO

Space Bars

Render Gallery

*More Renders are Coming Soon and Renders Not Representative of Final Product

Brutal60 By Cannon Keys

V4N By Trashman

Styrka by Viktus Design

MB44 is By MelonBred

Phoenix45

More Renders

More

Shark

Deskmats Below

More

Story

Orbit

Story with Render

Orbit with Render

How it came to be
It all started by my friend Chamoy and his love for 40s. We started this in January and it was only going to be a 40s Set because he likes that. We choose DSS because of the short production time. We wanted something Sencillo(Simple), clean and bit pastel. We really hope you like the set and can support us in GB. If you have more information please feel free to ask below.

Acknowledgments
  • Firstly I would to thank Nasp for all his help with the project and the renders as well
  • Vheissu for his art directions and helping with making it cute
  • To Trash Man for giving permission to use his icons in the set and Deskmat
  • To all my mods and mocos as well.

Socials and Keep up with project

This is my insta if you want to check me out: https://www.instagram.com/arqkeebs/

Show Your Support by Using This Signature! Thank you

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=111960.0][img width=302 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/jxKoVw6.png[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 May 2021, 11:29:08 by arq1999 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: DSS Sencillo | 15 May - 15 June !
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 07:43:42 »
approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [GB] DSS Sencillo | 15 May - 15 June !
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 07:56:18 »
Hi Everyone,

Checkerboards.xyz will be offering a Day 1 promotion of X% off child kits. I haven't nailed down the exact percentage off, but it'll probably be around 10% give or take.

Some other vendors might also be doing day 1 promotions so please check with the vendor nearest to you.

Cheers!

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 23:13:49 »
Very poggers UwU set. In for all kits.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 10:57:24 »
DSS Sencillo Day 1 Discount on www.checkerboards.xyz

15% off
Macros $8.50
Numpad $21.00
UK ISO $12.75
Spacebars $21.25
Teal/Purple $27.20
Yellow Pink $27.20

Day 2 will be 10% off

Again, start date is this Saturday, the 15th. I'm in CDT time zone

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 22:47:13 »
Hello Everyone,

Had a good start to day 1 but it's not over yet! There's little over an hour left to receive your day 1 discount of 15% off all child kits.

If you do miss purchasing on day 1, day 2 will have child kits at 10% off.

Cheers  :thumb:

I leave you with a teal TKC Candy Bar with teal accents.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 12:39:11 »

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 08:06:12 »
Looks great and seems like it has lots of customizability, I will keep an eye out for this :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 08:32:33 »
This came quickly. I wish the accents had dark text instead of white. 

Offline UnicornCables

• Unicorn Cables
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:10:24 »
Minimalistic, love it   :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:46:32 »
Are the icon mods really thicker in weight than the alphas, or is that just a render issue?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 May 2021, 10:54:56 »
Are the icon mods really thicker in weight than the alphas, or is that just a render issue?

Check out DSA Paperwork for a real-world example since DSS and DSA share the same legend molds. The font weight should be roughly equal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/mmsqlu/dsa_paperwork_is_a_cute_set/

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 18:49:05 »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 19:01:21 »
Thanks, Dvorcol!

I expect there to be a lot of last minute purchases towards the end of the GB period, at which point Checker Boards and the other vendors will buy out to MOQ if needed.

Offline Soppro

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 06:45:29 »

Check out DSA Paperwork for a real-world example since DSS and DSA share the same legend molds. The font weight should be roughly equal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/mmsqlu/dsa_paperwork_is_a_cute_set/

Will the alpha legend sizing will be similar to DSA Paperwork, or DSS Dolch and DSS Shale which appear to have slightly smaller legends (which I prefer  ^-^)

More

Offline cmander7688

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 15:36:01 »
I'm already in for a kit - Alphas, TKL mods, and numpad. I needed a good classy BoW keyset and I've been wanting to try out DSS, so this came along at the perfect time! Really digging the fresh mod icons.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 17:44:36 »

Will the alpha legend sizing will be similar to DSA Paperwork, or DSS Dolch and DSS Shale which appear to have slightly smaller legends (which I prefer  ^-^)

More
Show Image
Show Image

The designers like the smaller ones better so that'll be what we'll go with. 

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 18:03:07 »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 June 2021, 23:58:49 »
Last Final 48 hour Notice!

Help support the extended icon mods and don't forget about the 3 month lead time. Your keycaps will arrive in the fall; NOT next year  :thumb:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 10:48:33 »

Last 24 hours to get in on Group-Buy pricing

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 16 June 2021, 07:38:22 »
The GB is now closed. Thanks to everyone that participated.  :thumb:

Vendors are now tallying final numbers and we should have an update on numbers soon.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 18 June 2021, 16:57:58 »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 21:59:46 »
Just a quick update for those of you that ordered the spacebar kit:

SP doesn't have a 6u off-centered in this profile so instead we have replaced that bar for an extra 1u, 1.25u, and 2.25. Here's the new kit render:

275078-0

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 23:09:42 »
Any updates on this? Coming up on the end of October already.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 October 2021, 23:23:28 »
SP has delayed this to November. I should receive the keycaps late November/early December.

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 12:51:11 »
SP has delayed this to November. I should receive the keycaps late November/early December.

Great to hear; will be looking forward to them

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 December 2021, 10:06:41 »
This is currently running in the machines. SP says they'll finish before the end of the month; perhaps sooner! I'll keep you posted.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 14:47:33 »
Hi Everyone,

We had a small delay due to the holidays, shipping insurance, and last week inclement weather in Seattle, but these should be shipping from SP this week. I'll send out an email to verify addresses and soon as I can do a quick inspection of the caps on my end.

Cheers
-Nasp

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 January 2022, 16:53:00 »
I have finally received the shipment of caps today! I'll be sending out an address verification email shortly. Please reply to it if you have changed addresses since you bought in the GB.

If you purchased from a proxy, it looks like a few are already starting to ship theirs out.

I appreciate everyone's patience and I look forward to seeing these on your keyboards soon!

Cheers  :thumb:

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 13 January 2022, 12:50:06 »
Most vendors have shipped out the keycaps now - including www.checkerboards.xyz. The only outstanding orders are the ones with deskmats which are expected to arrive later this month.

Stay tuned for an announcement on extras.  ;D

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 09:53:28 »
Received my set, all keys are accounted for. Just a few notes:

1) The TKL mod kit is different from the render; the Tsangan bottom row keys are now the "correct" trashcons, as is the 1u control (3rd from bottom right in the render, which originally specified an up arrow).

2) The 6, 7, and 8 keys in my alphas kit are almost... bolded (?) compared to the other number row keys. See those keys compared with the 4 and 0 caps. The 7 key is particularly egregious. (https://imgur.com/a/bHRLbsq)

3) The += cap in my alphas kit is not centered. (See above link)

4) I didn't realize the spruce marks were on the front bottom of the caps; they're pretty ugly. My SP DSA set has them in the usual location, on the back bottom.

So, are the inconsistent/off-center number row keys par for the course for SP DSS? Since it's doubleshot, I guess it's just those particular molds? And do other DSS sets have such ugly spruce marks on the front as opposed to the back?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 16:46:51 »
1. Yes, those were errors in the render. The r3 up arrow was a duplicate, which is why it was replaced with the control trashcon. I apologize for these mistakes as I should have updated the render. However, I see this as an improvement instead of the set coming out with duplicate keys or inconsistent pairing trashcons.

2. Not sure if other DSS sets are bolded like this. I'm gonna ask SP about it. It may be that the boldness is more noticeable on a BoW set like this. 

3. - yes, this appears to be normal after looking at other DSS sets. Attached is an image of DSS Drank.

4. The spruce marks on the front bottom appear to be mainly on the 1u keys. Honestly, I didn't even notice them until you pointed them out. On the other DSS set I have, they can appear on any side of the cap; there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason about it. I don't think you'd be able to see them unless you were using a mid or low-pro case. For the next set I run, I'll see if SP can make sure to move them on the back or at least on the left or right side.

Thanks for joining the GB. In the future I'd like to see improvements made to the DSS molds. I'm happy that DSA Red Velvet is adding thicker alpha molds to be more consistent with trashcons. I'd also like to see bigger Function keys as the current ones are tiny, as well as more consistent line thickness to the number row keys which you mentioned.

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 20:12:26 »
1. Yes, those were errors in the render. The r3 up arrow was a duplicate, which is why it was replaced with the control trashcon. I apologize for these mistakes as I should have updated the render. However, I see this as an improvement instead of the set coming out with duplicate keys or inconsistent pairing trashcons.

2. Not sure if other DSS sets are bolded like this. I'm gonna ask SP about it. It may be that the boldness is more noticeable on a BoW set like this. 

3. - yes, this appears to be normal after looking at other DSS sets. Attached is an image of DSS Drank.

4. The spruce marks on the front bottom appear to be mainly on the 1u keys. Honestly, I didn't even notice them until you pointed them out. On the other DSS set I have, they can appear on any side of the cap; there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason about it. I don't think you'd be able to see them unless you were using a mid or low-pro case. For the next set I run, I'll see if SP can make sure to move them on the back or at least on the left or right side.

Thanks for joining the GB. In the future I'd like to see improvements made to the DSS molds. I'm happy that DSA Red Velvet is adding thicker alpha molds to be more consistent with trashcons. I'd also like to see bigger Function keys as the current ones are tiny, as well as more consistent line thickness to the number row keys which you mentioned.

Yeah, my comment about the render vs. delivered set was just to add it to the record--only positive feedback here.

Appreciate the follow-up with SP. I'll be looking for the same things when After-School 1992 gets in as well.

Shame about the inconsistencies with the DSS molds, although the comparatively short lead time was great. At any rate, just wanted to make sure I didn't somehow get outliers in my set. I'm most likely going to throw this on my QAZ anyway, so the inconsistencies won't be too much of a bother.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 21:37:43 »
Thanks for understanding. I have a few more DSS sets coming in - and I plan on running a few more too - so I'm optimistic that we can iron out some of these discrepancies in future DSS runs.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 17:20:10 »
Extras going live on Checkerboards.xyz tomorrow at 11:00 PM CST (UTC -6). Some other vendors have already started selling extras so please check your local vendors for more info. I have a lot of inventory so no need to worry about jumping on these as soon as they are live.

Cheers

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #35 on: Sat, 22 January 2022, 18:23:15 »

Yeah, my comment about the render vs. delivered set was just to add it to the record--only positive feedback here.

Appreciate the follow-up with SP. I'll be looking for the same things when After-School 1992 gets in as well.

Shame about the inconsistencies with the DSS molds, although the comparatively short lead time was great. At any rate, just wanted to make sure I didn't somehow get outliers in my set. I'm most likely going to throw this on my QAZ anyway, so the inconsistencies won't be too much of a bother.

To follow up about the inconsistencies in line thickness on the number row and the "+=" not being centered, I did hear back from Signature Plastics and have some good news to report. The molds used for these are ancient - probably older than a lot of people in the hobby - which SP recognizes, and is looking to redo them better in the future. They likely won't be redone until the summer however. Since SP is going to take care of the number row inconsistencies, I think once DSA Red Velvet introduces thicker lines for the alphas, the next big thing to do is enlarge the font used for the F-row keys. After all that, DSS will be in tip-top shape. Fortunately for 40's users half the inconsistencies don't apply to them.

Cheers!

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 12:44:12 »

To follow up about the inconsistencies in line thickness on the number row and the "+=" not being centered, I did hear back from Signature Plastics and have some good news to report. The molds used for these are ancient - probably older than a lot of people in the hobby - which SP recognizes, and is looking to redo them better in the future. They likely won't be redone until the summer however. Since SP is going to take care of the number row inconsistencies, I think once DSA Red Velvet introduces thicker lines for the alphas, the next big thing to do is enlarge the font used for the F-row keys. After all that, DSS will be in tip-top shape. Fortunately for 40's users half the inconsistencies don't apply to them.

Cheers!

Nice to hear. Doesn't SP have a to-do list of molds that they're developing? I know SA minibars recently ran. I guess re-doing DSS molds is up next (or close) on that list?

I've been looking at images of DSS First Light and DSS Olivia (on the currently-shipping NK65 Olivia edition), and it seems like those numrow inconsistencies are, well, inconsistent. While some sets seem to have no issues, some seem to have bolded 2s, others bolded 9s.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 30 January 2022, 14:12:18 »
Not sure their list exactly, but they have stated that they plan to make convex DSA and DSS bars after SA. They said it would take them a couple years however.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 12:39:34 »
Quick update on Deskmats:

The other vendor I have purchased the deskmats through says that they should be almost ready. They had to stop for CNY but now that the holiday is over, they are being finalized for shipment. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers!

Offline kippsterr

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 08:20:03 »
Hi @nasp,

I have a quick question.

I have ordered this set via the MyKeyboard vendor as I am located in Europe. After the initial delay announcements I have been closely following this thread to stay up-to-date and I have also contacted the vendor to get some updates about the current status.
Their latest reply was: If the set was announced as shipped in this thread here, then it "should arrive soon-ish" and we will proceed with the fulfillment afterwards then.

Until now, I didn't get any updates from them yet. Also this GB is not even listed on their updates site at https://calendar.mykeyboard.eu/updates/. I wonder if it ever was. Anyway, is there, by any chance, a way you could check the status of the shipping to MyKeyboard? Currently it feels like everyone already got their caps but from a MyKeyboard perspective they're not even existing. This is weird.

Thank you in advance!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 15:52:52 »
Hi @nasp,

I have a quick question.

I have ordered this set via the MyKeyboard vendor as I am located in Europe. After the initial delay announcements I have been closely following this thread to stay up-to-date and I have also contacted the vendor to get some updates about the current status.
Their latest reply was: If the set was announced as shipped in this thread here, then it "should arrive soon-ish" and we will proceed with the fulfillment afterwards then.

Until now, I didn't get any updates from them yet. Also this GB is not even listed on their updates site at https://calendar.mykeyboard.eu/updates/. I wonder if it ever was. Anyway, is there, by any chance, a way you could check the status of the shipping to MyKeyboard? Currently it feels like everyone already got their caps but from a MyKeyboard perspective they're not even existing. This is weird.

Thank you in advance!

Just received word from the owner. For some reason they received them late, as in just a few days ago. They are preparing to ship them next week.

-Nasp

Offline kippsterr

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 04:10:36 »
As if they were seeing me posting here :D I just received a shipping notification from them.

Nevertheless, thank you for your quick reply and checking in on it!  :thumb:

Offline kippsterr

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 04:57:29 »
Yay, I finally got my caps and they look great! :)

However, while putting them on, I noticed one thing that is a real pity for me. The option keys in the mod kit are not provided as 1u. Only as 1.25 and as 1.5. The 1.5 variant was not shown in any renders. As I am on a mac and therefore actively using control, command and option keys and my keyboard layout has 1u keys on the right hand side of the spacebar, I am left without an option key now D: See here for reference: https://imgur.com/a/yKAUUHC

Did anyone else notice that? Or is this something the vendor has messed up?

The only thing I can do is swapping control and option keys (as there is a 1u control key available) and live with it. :(

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 05:08:20 »
There was an error in the render image as a previous poster mentioned.

You may be able to swap the key you need with someone that has the 40's kit. If you were in the US, I'd ship you the key for free, but seeing that you are international shipping would not be a trivial expense.

-Nasp

Offline kippsterr

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 05:29:43 »
There was an error in the render image as a previous poster mentioned.

I did read that but was not entirely sure if that also applies to the option key. Thank you for your quick reply, though! :)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 05:34:40 »
Here is the correct render image:

« Last Edit: Thu, 17 February 2022, 05:36:31 by nasp »

Offline kwhilden

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 16:29:56 »
I'm interested in picking this set up. 

My question is what are the tops of the split spacebar like?  Convex, concave, or flat? 

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 17:00:36 »
I'm interested in picking this set up. 

My question is what are the tops of the split spacebar like?  Convex, concave, or flat?

Unfortunately DSS small bars don't exist yet, so it's using a DSA profile keys which are flat.