Author Topic: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With a Cherry Stem)  (Read 46224 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With a Cherry Stem)
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 00:13:53 »
Just got a quote, if 140 are ordered at a time I can get them all for $35+shipping to me. So in the end probably $50 because all the printers have stupid high shipping rates for some reason...So inserts could be $5, which is a zero profit cost. So I am assuming people would be okay with a $5 set of inserts as that is extremely affordable.

I'll link your post in a few threads.

Thank you!!! I am going to order a set of these inserts, would you want a set now to test?

Sending a PM

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 06:08:41 »
Hey, just wanted to show my interest in this project.
I think you are not seeing more interest only because it has not been publicised enough. I've actually been waiting for the GB to open since the last mail communication said 2 weeks and it's passed some more time, but not everyone on the mailing list will come to GH and look how things are going.

As for the design, I'd prefer a design that changes slightly the feel than a design that will rise the caps, since that would mean lots of more problems for the stabilizers. And I plan to use clicky ALPS indeed, so I think that would be the best option.

I'd like to insist, this project has not been showed around enough for it to gain track, it's also something not very flashy like a case, so it won't have that level of attention to the thread, but there are lost of people interested in these sliders. Also, don't forget to reach kbdfans and kprepublic, China is a large market and they'll be interested as well.

Oh, and about the inserts, for $5 a set I'd take like 3 or 4.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 08:05:28 »
People with lightcycle, granite, and alpine winter alps caps will most likely be interested in those inserts too.  I know I want some extra

I would need help advertising to those people as I don't know of an easy way to do so...

I'm working on replacement AEK spacebars from SP.

I currently have an order for 100 spacebars.

I'd LOVE to buy 100 sets of these inserts to package with the bars I'll be selling.

Depending on interest, I might "stock" AEK spacebars, we'll see.

I'll PM you.

Online BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #203 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 11:15:24 »
I think you are not seeing more interest only because it has not been publicised enough. I've actually been waiting for the GB to open since the last mail communication said 2 weeks and it's passed some more time, but not everyone on the mailing list will come to GH and look how things are going.

As for the design, I'd prefer a design that changes slightly the feel than a design that will rise the caps, since that would mean lots of more problems for the stabilizers. And I plan to use clicky ALPS indeed, so I think that would be the best option.

I'd like to insist, this project has not been showed around enough for it to gain track, it's also something not very flashy like a case, so it won't have that level of attention to the thread, but there are lost of people interested in these sliders. Also, don't forget to reach kbdfans and kprepublic, China is a large market and they'll be interested as well.

I will send an email soon, should have done that but was having computer problems for the past month so I was literally at a standstill.

I am also not sure when I will get the new prototype in as the printer hasn't responded asking for payment...

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #204 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 02:22:29 »
I'm here from the Alpine Winter thread. I'm very interested in picking up some inserts. Very interested indeed.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #205 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:04:41 »
I'm here from the Alpine Winter thread. I'm very interested in picking up some inserts. Very interested indeed.

Sweet, Nice to see people interested in the inserts.

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #206 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 20:45:39 »
Has this been publicized on topclack? If not, you should definitely send them a message when the prototype is set

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #207 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:04:44 »
Has this been publicized on topclack? If not, you should definitely send them a message when the prototype is set

It has not, I have thought about it but haven't approached them yet. I will try and do it after I get the new prototypes in order to make sure everything is set before I go that far.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:09:24 »
Here to show support.

I'm interested in at least 70-80 of the sliders and a set of the inserts.

Question about the inserts though: Is it $5 for enough inserts for one stabilized key (just the spacebar, for example) or for a full set (spacebar, backspace, both shifts, enter, etc)? I'm assuming the former but the email update said 14 inserts so I want to make sure.

Offline M4dn3ss

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:14:01 »
Okay, Made the offset keycap stab insert. It can be installed in two ways, so it can be offset to be wider or skinnier depending on the keycap set used. I used sets from 4 different keyboards, AT101W, Omnikey Ultra T, Masterkeys S PBT and EDRUG Mix. It will work for all of them, but I can't test the 7U spacebar compatibility as I don't have a cherry 7U spacebar, if the cherry has the same offset from the alps insert locations, like every other key, it should be fine. It will be a 3D printed part as they wouldn't be enough interest to allow it to be injection molded as such a low quantity is needed per board, that it isn't reasonable. So it will have to be printed on either an SLA or Polyjet printer to get the accuracy and strength as the part goes down to 0.8mm and has features that are too small for other printing methods, like FDM. SLS can work, but the surface finish is very rough and can affect the actuation even when lubed. This will be available to just download when the time comes, or you can pay me to have them printed in a larger quantity to get a lower per piece cost. When the GB opens I will do a video going over all that is needed to do the conversion, and have more detailed information that everyone can see before buying, as it will be easier that way.

(Attachment Link)
I'm very interested in these inserts, even with custom bending wires it doesn't quite feel right.

Anyway, how exactly would this insert sit inside the right side stem of the keycap? It appears to be only designed to sit in the left side stem.

Here to show support.

Question about the inserts though: Is it $5 for enough inserts for one stabilized key (just the spacebar, for example) or for a full set (spacebar, backspace, both shifts, enter, etc)? I'm assuming the former but the email update said 14 inserts so I want to make sure.

14 might not be enough for people doing a 104 key board unless the spacebar uses a Costar-style stabiliser (like Matias boards, V60/V80, Filco Zero)

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:23:57 »
Here to show support.

14 might not be enough for people doing a 104 key board unless the spacebar uses a Costar-style stabiliser (like Matias boards, V60/V80, Filco Zero)
[/quote]

Wouldn't they need 14 max? 2 per key for 7 stabilized keys. Unless I'm misunderstanding the entire inserts thing.

Offline M4dn3ss

« Reply #211 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:29:56 »
Wouldn't they need 14 max? 2 per key for 7 stabilized keys. Unless I'm misunderstanding the entire inserts thing.
8 stabilised keys:
Backspace, enter, LShift, RShift, space, Num0, NumEnter, Num+
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 03:47:38 by M4dn3ss »

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #212 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 11:37:07 »
8 stabilised keys:

I knew I was forgetting a key...well price will be a tad higher then for 16 instead of 14.

It was $5 for all 14 of them, but because I forgot 2 of them, price will go up a tad.

Anyway, how exactly would this insert sit inside the right side stem of the keycap? It appears to be only designed to sit in the left side stem.

There are two of them, with the offset in the opposite direction, just didn't show the other one as I took the picture from just on of the part files. They can mount on either side of the keycap depending on if you need them to be wider or skinnier to work with the wire you are using. But I did screw up and order prototypes of just one of the sides, so...that sucks.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #213 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 13:05:47 »
8 stabilised keys:

I knew I was forgetting a key...well price will be a tad higher then for 16 instead of 14.

It was $5 for all 14 of them, but because I forgot 2 of them, price will go up a tad.

There are two of them, with the offset in the opposite direction, just didn't show the other one as I took the picture from just on of the part files. They can mount on either side of the keycap depending on if you need them to be wider or skinnier to work with the wire you are using. But I did screw up and order prototypes of just one of the sides, so...that sucks.

Holy crap, that's awesome! Definitely down for a set or maybe even 2 just to help MOQ, if needed.

8 stabilised keys:

Ahh, I was missing one. Thanks!

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #214 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:54:11 »

I will send an email soon, should have done that but was having computer problems for the past month so I was literally at a standstill.

I am also not sure when I will get the new prototype in as the printer hasn't responded asking for payment...

No rushes, I've read about your computer problems and thought I could try to help you troubleshoot it but then saw your message was from like 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Keep it up, I'll post about this on reddit and sending some prototypes to topclack (with some ALPS and caps just in case) can definitely help spread this out. I'm sure there will be a big interest! :thumb: :thumb:

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 23:28:21 »
Just curious, Do you think these would fix an otherwise scratchy alps switch? (one that dust has already gotten to)

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #216 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 23:37:10 »
Shouldn't you just clean those if they're dirty?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #217 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 23:38:49 »
Just curious, Do you think these would fix an otherwise scratchy alps switch? (one that dust has already gotten to)

If you were to buy the top housings I am making, yes it would fix the scratchiness of them. Each part will be a separate option on the order form, so you can just buy the top housings when the GB opens.

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #218 on: Mon, 26 February 2018, 23:51:54 »

If you were to buy the top housings I am making, yes it would fix the scratchiness of them. Each part will be a separate option on the order form, so you can just buy the top housings when the GB opens.

I wish. ALPS switches in bad condition can't really be fixed, no matter how much you clean/lube them.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 00:16:13 »
It must be something else that's degraded if they can't be fixed by cleaning.

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 00:20:12 »
It must be something else that's degraded if they can't be fixed by cleaning.

I think the consensus is that after a lot of use with dust in the switch, it scratches away at the plastic.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #221 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 00:42:33 »
That's a fair statement. Must be some pretty weak plastic though D:

New slider/top housing would hopefully remedy that, as long as the metal leaves are in good condition

Offline consolation

« Reply #222 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:28:44 »

I wish. ALPS switches in bad condition can't really be fixed, no matter how much you clean/lube them.

Very carefully opening the switch plate and cleaning it often helps with mystery grit. I found dry ptfe (teflon) lube to work ok on the factory lubed ones. But, there's a limit to how much you can fix and working on the plate assembly is a nightmare. It's really easy to make it too loose to fit back together correctly. But, with practice, there's a decent chance to fix some switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #223 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 01:05:49 »
Any updates on this?

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #224 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 01:08:20 »
Any updates on this?

I will soon, I have the prototypes in, just waiting for the stab inserts to arrive, and will make a single update on Tuesday.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 04 March 2018, 01:49:26 »
Any updates on this?

I will soon, I have the prototypes in, just waiting for the stab inserts to arrive, and will make a single update on Tuesday.

Awesome!

Now all I have to do is decide on whether to use these with Orange Alps on an Alps64 in the Modern M0110 or source some Salmon Alps and build an Alps64 into a different case.

Main decision is whether or not I want the Modern M0110 to have the aek keyset or not.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #226 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 05:45:56 »
Any updates on this?

Awesome!

Now all I have to do is decide on whether to use these with Orange Alps on an Alps64 in the Modern M0110 or source some Salmon Alps and build an Alps64 into a different case.

Main decision is whether or not I want the Modern M0110 to have the aek keyset or not.

I need them for my Pearl build so I hope this GB don't take for too long! :p :p

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #227 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 10:03:21 »
Any updates on this?

Awesome!

Does the PCB and plate that came with the Pearl support Alps out of box? I'd love to see some pictures of your build if you've completed it!

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 10:23:43 »
Does the PCB and plate that came with the Pearl support Alps out of box? I'd love to see some pictures of your build if you've completed it!

Yes it does! Mine is still on it's way to me, but you can see the first ALPS build in the thread here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92259.msg2570958#msg2570958
I'm (un)patiently waiting for mine to come, but do not worry I'll post pics :D

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:02:23 »

Yes it does! Mine is still on it's way to me, but you can see the first ALPS build in the thread here https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92259.msg2570958#msg2570958
I'm (un)patiently waiting for mine to come, but do not worry I'll post pics :D

Oh that's awesome! I think I have just enough leftover orange Alps to fit a Pearl and, if not, I definitely have  enough for orange Alps alphas and salmon Alps mods. I might have to go on the hunt for one now! It looks stunning but I wasn't dedicated to a 40% when the GB ran.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #230 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 11:13:54 »

Sadly it will take at least a month from people ordering to final fulfilment, so your poor pearl will be sad for a while.

Hopefully USPS keeps the inserts on schedule so I get them today, if not it may delay the update...

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #231 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 12:29:20 »
I feel like this may have been covered but quickly skimming the topic again I didn't see it; what is the expected lead/production time you've been given? 

Think I'm gonna throw some of these and some Matias QCs in my Southpaw keyboard to use at work.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #232 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:06:22 »
I feel like this may have been covered but quickly skimming the topic again I didn't see it; what is the expected lead/production time you've been given? 

Think I'm gonna throw some of these and some Matias QCs in my Southpaw keyboard to use at work.

I actually never mentioned the exact time frame, thank you for bringing that up.

Schedule:
  • Orders: 7 - 14 days(or whenever it hits 11,000 sliders)
  • Invoice/Payment: 7 days
  • Manufacturing and shipping: 10 - 15 days
  • Sorting and Final shipment to y'all: 7 - 14 days

Total: 31 to 50 days

Hopefully the lower end of that, just depends on how fast people order and how fast I can actually sort and ship them.

Offline shadowrealmwarez

« Reply #233 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:17:03 »

I actually never mentioned the exact time frame, thank you for bringing that up.

Schedule:
  • Orders: 7 - 14 days(or whenever it hits 11,000 sliders)
  • Invoice/Payment: 7 days
  • Manufacturing and shipping: 10 - 15 days
  • Sorting and Final shipment to y'all: 7 - 14 days

Total: 31 to 50 days

Hopefully the lower end of that, just depends on how fast people order and how fast I can actually sort and ship them.

Sorry if this was covered, was the tickly issue resolved? I have some salmon alps I'd love to make MX capable.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 05 March 2018, 13:26:02 »
Sorry if this was covered, was the tickly issue resolved? I have some salmon alps I'd love to make MX capable.

There was never an issue with tactile alps, only clicky for the prototype. That problem has now been resolved and there is not longer an issue with them.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #235 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 03:29:41 »
Sadly it will take at least a month from people ordering to final fulfilment, so your poor pearl will be sad for a while.

Hopefully USPS keeps the inserts on schedule so I get them today, if not it may delay the update...

A month or two I can wait without any problem for that. I mean, it'll be the closest I've been to endgame so I can be patient hahah
Meanwhile I'll be throwing DSA Lightcycle so it's not really an issue.

Looking forward to that update!

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #236 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 18:23:30 »
Update:
Okay so all of the prototypes have arrived, and I have been looking over and testing them out.

1) The slider was really, really good and only thing I changed after testing was to make the bump smaller as it was a tad bigger than I truly needed it to be. This means that the travel of the click leaf will be affected even less because of this, which is great. I would take pictures but the parts were printed translucent and my camera can't focus on them at all, so it looks way too blurry.

2) The top housing was almost perfect, just have to make a change to better support SKCM Brown tactile leafs, as it was still interfering in one part, but I figured that would happen and that was one of the things I planned to test with this prototype.

3) Sadly I only got one side of the inserts printed, but I had a spacebar with two sets of stab locations so I was still able to test them without issue. When lubed, they are super, super smooth. I made a linear space bar from an SKCM Black as that is the only alps board I have with a 6.25U spacebar, and they are perfectly matched. Only thing I need to change is the spacebar can spin a tad because the insert groove for the wire is too deep and doesn't rest against the wire when sitting at "rest", or the unpressed state, Which is an easy fix. I need to get a quote from someone to print these and to check to make sure that they are okay with printing this many parts, as it will take a ton of material for them and not everyone would have that much on hand.

4) In my last post I gave an estimated schedule for the GB, I want to make a revision to that. That time frame was if I used a different manufacturer than I will be using. To make it easier to explain, The original one I was going to use is Manufacturer A, and the different one mentioned for the schedule was Manufacturer B. I was planning on using A originally, but wanted to see what B could do as they manufacture in the US, which means faster turn around, and I quoted the schedule as if I were to use B, because I expected pricing to be similar to B's first quote. The issue is pricing for B was more than A by about $0.10 each, which would put the pricing at $0.60 per slider. Whereas if I use A, I can sell them for $0.50 each, but they manufacture in China, and that will take longer than if I used B. This is a hard choice, but I will be using A as I can't raise pricing that high, so the schedule for manufacturing needs to be increased to 15 - 35 days, as shipping to me will take quite a bit of time. This is an estimate, and can take less time depending on how fast they actually ship it and I have never dealt with customs before, so I don't know what to expect. So because of this the window for completion is 36 to 70 days.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 04:16:35 »
Everything sound awesome! I'm ready to throw my wallet at the screen for you  :thumb:
Oh and BTW, although it seems you've decided already, I personally would prefer a quicker turnaround for that $0.10 difference. 100 sliders would be just $10 for one month less of waiting, worth it for me, but that's my personal opinion :)

Offline garbo

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 05:44:18 »
Seems good to me. Would you say there's much difference in how your white Alps sound now the bump has been added?

I don't personally mind waiting an extra month or so, but wouldn't be too upset about the extra cost if it turns out most people are feeling impatient for whatever reason.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 14:20:37 »
Seems good to me. Would you say there's much difference in how your white Alps sound now the bump has been added?

It was barely noticeable, but because the bump is even smaller now, it shouldn't make any difference that is easily noticeable. I think keycaps will make a bigger difference in sound than that bump will.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:25:55 »
We're all the prototypes made with manufacturer A or B? Just wondering how that might affect how they turn out.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #241 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:39:53 »
We're all the prototypes made with manufacturer A or B? Just wondering how that might affect how they turn out.

No prototypes were made through either A or B, as I would have to buy the tooling to get parts from them which is almost $6k for just the slider. They were 3D printed.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 March 2018, 10:29:43 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 01:45:14 »
If you haven't already made your decision, I'd almost rather have the US manufacturer. But again, I'm buying these no matter what haha

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 02:25:52 »

Non prototypes were made through either A or B, as I would have to buy the tooling to get parts from them which is almost $6k for just the slider. They were 3D printed.

Ah, of course. Got it.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #244 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 14:35:28 »
Update:
Okay so the plan was to start the GB on monday, 3/12, but I still haven't received the newest quote from manufacturer A, which is needed to make sure pricing is set in stone.

Pricing has changed a tad because I was stupid and forgot to factor in taxes for the sliders, but may change if the final quote is different(which I doubt will be different).

So with that said, I will still be launching the GB on Monday at Noon central time and will be open until Monday 3/26 at midnight central time.

This is the color I have decided on, I wanted something that is different and not commonly used among the ton of switches out there today.

New Pricing: (Final shipping and paypal fees not included)
  • Sliders: $0.55 each (MOQ of 11,000)
  • Top housings:
    • QTY 6,000: $1.20
    • QTY 8,000: $1.00
    • QTY 10,000: $0.80
    • QTY 12,000: $0.70
    • QTY 14,000: $0.60
    • QTY 18,000: $0.50
  • Stab Inserts: $5 - $8
    • not sure how many will be ordered so price will vary and I can't say for sure until the order is placed, but it will be in this range.

So between now and monday I will be getting the GB page ready and setting up the order form, which will take some time. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. Thank you all for the support, and sorry that the process has taken so long.
« Last Edit: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:14:51 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #245 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 15:55:49 »
Only one week period for ordering? I think that will cut out some potential buyers who may not have cash readily on hand
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 16:10:04 »
Only one week period for ordering? I think that will cut out some potential buyers who may not have cash readily on hand

I was trying to figure out how long to leave it open, and couldn't decide if I should do it for 2 weeks or a different window. I think I will just go ahead and open for 2 weeks, a lot going on in my head trying to get everything ready, so sorry if it seemed short.

Online BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #247 on: Sat, 10 March 2018, 22:03:50 »
Okay the GB thread is now open, so go check it out over at https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94500.0. Thank you all for making this a reality and I hope it exceeds your expectations!