Author Topic: [GB] Ragnarok Red on Black 87/104 Keyset: Order Thread [Shipped]  (Read 230851 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Ragnarok Red on Black 87/104 Keyset: Order Thread [Shipped]
« Reply #350 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:32:44 »
Thank you for all the Windows 8 logo support!  Here is a list of people who have pledged to chip in for the Windows 8 logo setup fee.

litster
demik
tsangan
snowboarder3
kisakuku
WRXChris
RColintaylor
biochem

I can't wait for Windows 8 beta.  All the new cool features.  Did you see the new skydrive integration?  I will need to buy one of those Samsung tablets to run Windows 8 beta on.  A tablet that I can plug aany of my keyboards directly onto and get 100% key coverage, unlike iPad.  Imagine that!  :D

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #351 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:34:53 »
I tried the win 8 beta on my desktop in vmware and I hate it. Metro is not my thing. Hopefully it works better on a tablet.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #352 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:36:19 »
Yeah no manipulating the polls please. Its 25 to 12, but I realize that it was rather unfair of me to only have the poll open for a few hours. For those still interested in voting, its reposted below. However at this point its leaning pretty heavily toward Windows, so don't expect miracles.

Windows 8 is just another ripoff of features that have been present in some form or another on other operating systems for years. (Cough cough OS X)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #353 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:38:15 »
You didn't try the Win8 beta, that was the technical preview from last year.  The new beta hasn't come out yet and a lot have changed since the technical preview.  And you ran it in the worst possible environment, VMWare, and most likely you didn't run it on a computer/laptop with a touch screen.

Try it again on Feb 29th or early March.

Offline Wraul

« Reply #354 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:39:16 »
I don't understand all the support for the Windows key. A keyboard isn't only usable with Windows you know.
Maybe I'm biased as I only ever use Windows when there is a problem with someones computer. Which is rather frequent I guess... :tongue:

But if we are to do the Windows logo I think it should be the Windows 8 logo.
That way we'll have a Windows 8 compatible keyboard even before it's release.
I would even pay a little extra to have the new logo, but on the other hand I would probably pay more to have something different than the windows logo.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #355 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:40:07 »
But even so, if they expect Win8 to replace Win7 it had better not suck without a touch screen.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #356 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:44:04 »
^ Yeah that. Does anyone remember the Vista debacle? Nobody bothered to upgrade because it wasn't significantly better than XP, only a more bloated, resource hogging version of it.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #357 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:46:50 »
Quote from: litster;520658
You didn't try the Win8 beta, that was the technical preview from last year.  The new beta hasn't come out yet and a lot have changed since the technical preview.  And you ran it in the worst possible environment, VMWare, and most likely you didn't run it on a computer/laptop with a touch screen.

Try it again on Feb 29th or early March.

I was using the latest developers version. And I have no desire for a desktop with a touch screen. The ui looks like Windows Phone which is hideous Imo.

But back ot if we're doing windows we may as well use the new logo. But why are you guys soon in love with Windows? I'm no m$ hater but I would prefer something unique.

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:48:36 »
The familiar is automatically more liked than something that is unfamiliar and only somewhat of interest.  If it were possible to find the 'killer glyph' then there would still be naysayers that are happier with the familiar.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #359 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:51:23 »
I would be happy with a blank key there but whatever.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #360 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:54:05 »
I don't necessarily like windows, but I want something more general, ie diamond/star/circle/triangle/super/meta etc etc

I have nothing against biohazard but it's like a set that only came with Jolly Roger as the modifier key it's very novelty, and I think the base set should be something a lot more general.
Keyboardless

Offline xbb

« Reply #361 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 10:56:32 »
Quote from: ripster;520014
Some of those dudes that bought the grab bags got the original Windows logo.
http://geekhack.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=520014&noquote=1
See if you can find it:
(Attachment Link) 41229[/ATTACH]

Come to think of it I want one of those.

I'll add to my Ripster trades thread.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22259-Ripsters-Novelty-Key-Trade-Thread

As soon as Kisakuku sends that Paw key he promised me.

Aren't those Cherry original caps? They were in the SP grab bags??

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #362 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:05:56 »
Quote from: tsangan;520679
I don't necessarily like windows, but I want something more general, ie diamond/star/circle/triangle/super/meta etc etc

I have nothing against biohazard but it's like a set that only came with Jolly Roger as the modifier key it's very novelty, and I think the base set should be something a lot more general.

Yeah everyone just got Jolly Rogers too, in the novelty group buy you took the helm of. I understand the desire to have it look generic, and I understand the desire to have it be unique/non-OS specific. While I'm actually very much in dislike with Windows, and an OS X user I'm certainly not forcing it to be a command key, even though the legend "Command" would be generic enough on its own.

I figured Biohazard would look awesome enough that it would fit well with a set of this color scheme and badass level. Its fine though, we can go with this Windows 8 bs as long as Melissa says it can be done, which it should. I still need an SVG though, and quick. I am trying to find the time to get all of this new info coherent enough that I can relay it to Melissa but I forgot I have an essay due at 1:25 and I've yet to start it lol. That and I was an idiot and got <4 hours of sleep because I stayed up all night reading A Dance with Dragons. That means you probably have until tomorrow to harass Hazeluff about it. ¬.¬

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:08:44 »
I'm used to harassing him, i'll get him on it :P

Better start cracking on that essay
Keyboardless

Offline metafour

« Reply #364 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:08:49 »
Is a recount in order?

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #365 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:12:05 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;520696
Yeah everyone just got Jolly Rogers too, in the novelty group buy you took the helm of. I understand the desire to have it look generic, and I understand the desire to have it be unique/non-OS specific. While I'm actually very much in dislike with Windows, and an OS X user I'm certainly not forcing it to be a command key, even though the legend "Command" would be generic enough on its own.

I figured Biohazard would look awesome enough that it would fit well with a set of this color scheme and badass level. Its fine though, we can go with this Windows 8 bs as long as Melissa says it can be done, which it should. I still need an SVG though, and quick. I am trying to find the time to get all of this new info coherent enough that I can relay it to Melissa but I forgot I have an essay due at 1:25 and I've yet to start it lol. That and I was an idiot and got <4 hours of sleep because I stayed up all night reading A Dance with Dragons. That means you probably have until tomorrow to harass Hazeluff about it. ¬.¬

Do you want me to send you the biohaz SVG?
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #366 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:12:59 »
Quote from: hazeluff;520709

Make the win8 svg too :P
Keyboardless

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #367 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:15:23 »
Quote from: tsangan;520710
Make the win8 svg too :P

Whoa., getting bossy eh?

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
« Reply #368 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:16:20 »
Pretty please? With sugar and cherry on top :hug:
Keyboardless

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #369 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:22:01 »
Quote from: tsangan;520716
Pretty please? With sugar and cherry on top :hug:

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 41267[/ATTACH]

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #370 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:23:06 »
I have no skin in this game, but to me Biohazard and Jolly Roger look incredibly cheesy.  Keys like that are what I put on my catch-all keyboard.  I wouldn't pair them with a sexy new matching set, particularly an understated, slick set like this one.  It just doesn't fit the style.  Personally I like OS-agnostic modifiers, but if I had to choose between Windows and Biohazard I would choose Windows for sure.  And the new Windows 8 logo looks great IMO.

Quote from: Ragnorock;520654
Windows 8 is just another ripoff of features that have been present in some form or another on other operating systems for years. (Cough cough OS X)

Rly?  Windows 8 seems pretty bold and innovative to me.  It certainly looks totally different than other OSes.  Like I said before, I'm intrigued by it and am looking forward to seeing how usable it is.  XP and 7 were both solid, so my leftover Microsoft animosity from the 90s has dwindled to the point where I am rooting for them again, even though I spend most of my time on Linux.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #371 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:30:30 »
The one thing I want to say is that the Win8 Logo actually looks like a window.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #372 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:34:01 »
Quote from: hazeluff;520709

Yeah whenever you can please. No rush.

Rly? Windows 8 seems pretty bold and innovative to me. It certainly looks totally different than other OSes. Like I said before, I'm intrigued by it and am looking forward to seeing how usable it is. XP and 7 were both solid, so my leftover Microsoft animosity from the 90s has dwindled to the point where I am rooting for them again, even though I spend most of my time on Linux.

Its cloud and sharing properties, though expanded upon, have been around on Macs for ages. It is simply because Apple is only compatible with Apple that most of the sharing doesn't extend further with most users. Very few people, even Apple fans like myself, use exclusively Apple products. I have yet to buy an iPhone or an iPad or an Apple TV etc because I haven't found one I need. Want, sure. But need? Not yet. Been waiting for the iPhone 5 though, and when it comes out I will buy it. Other than that, I don't know enough about 8 to comment on it, but if you look at 7's design principles, they were all borrowed from Leopard or w/e the OS was at the time, and Vista did the same before that, except it was more features based, and the execution was terrible.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:38:07 by Ragnorock »

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #373 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:42:10 »
Rag, I think I sent you to the SVGs. Let me know if you haven't gotten it in a while, since I could of very well sent it to the wrong person...>.>

Edit: I sent the wrong files so 2nd one inc= x

Offline haggle

« Reply #374 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:45:02 »
PM sent, sorry for the confusion with ordering. I am a dumbass often

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #375 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:47:41 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;520750
Its cloud and sharing properties, though expanded upon, have been around on Macs for ages. It is simply because Apple is only compatible with Apple that most of the sharing doesn't extend further with most users. Very few people, even Apple fans like myself, use exclusively Apple products. I have yet to buy an iPhone or an iPad or an Apple TV etc because I haven't found one I need. Want, sure. But need? Not yet. Been waiting for the iPhone 5 though, and when it comes out I will buy it. Other than that, I don't know enough about 8 to comment on it, but if you look at 7's design principles, they were all borrowed from Leopard or w/e the OS was at the time, and Vista did the same before that, except it was more features based, and the execution was terrible.

8 takes the UI in a totally different direction than 7.  It looks and behaves nothing like OS X.  This is why I'm excited for it, since for once they seem to be doing something genuinely new rather than playing catch-up with Apple.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #376 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 11:59:37 »
I'm not holding my breath but that's good to hear. Though if it sucks without touch screens its going to fail miserably.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #377 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:05:11 »
Is Win8 meant to be a tablet and PC OS?

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #378 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:06:27 »
Quote from: hazeluff;520726
(Attachment Link) 41267[/ATTACH]

The key cap looks like an error. Suits Windows 8 perfectly!
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #379 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:11:52 »
Quote from: hazeluff;520726
(Attachment Link) 41267[/ATTACH]
bigger, and 1.25x please? ;)

god, i just realized that i was wearing an MS branded shirt all yesterday. i feel so dirty.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #380 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:13:19 »
Quote from: mkawa;520787
bigger, and 1.25x please? ;)

god, i just realized that i was wearing an MS branded shirt all yesterday. i feel so dirty.

It's 1.25, but It looked weird when I made it bigger. I made it about the same scale the normal windows key would be.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #381 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:14:25 »
Quote from: Ragnorock;520776
I'm not holding my breath but that's good to hear. Though if it sucks without touch screens its going to fail miserably.

Quote from: hazeluff;520779
Is Win8 meant to be a tablet and PC OS?

Yup, I think it's meant to unify phones, desktops, and tablets.  Admirable, but I agree with Rag that if it sucks with a mouse it's a fail in my book.  I don't particularly want a touch interface on my desk.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #382 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:14:51 »
hmm. is there any way to make it a tad bit wider without making it look either too tall or too skewed?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #383 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:17:24 »
Quote from: hashbaz;520792
Yup, I think it's meant to unify phones, desktops, and tablets.  Admirable, but I agree with Rag that if it sucks with a mouse it's a fail in my book.  I don't particularly want a touch interface on my desk.

I don't agree with it then. The 3 things are very different in what the user needs. Its good that some things are unified. But It shouldn't have the same UI over all 3.

Quote from: mkawa;520793
hmm. is there any way to make it a tad bit wider without making it look either too tall or too skewed?

I don't really think so, I mean I don't see how this is any different from any other windows logo. I just made it similar to how big that was.

Offline metafour

« Reply #384 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:30:04 »
The biohazard symbol, as requested by Dow chemicals, needed to meet the following criteria:

(i) striking in form in order to draw immediate attention
(ii) unique and unambiguous, in order not to be confused with symbols used for other purposes
(iii) quickly recognizable and easily recalled
(iv) easily stenciled
(v) symmetrical, in order to appear identical from all angles of approach
(vi) acceptable to groups of varying ethnic backgrounds

Can you say that the windows logo, old or new, meets all of these criteria?! ;)

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/orsp/coms/BiosafetyResources/1967-10-13-Science-paper-Biohazard-Symbol.pdf

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #385 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:38:28 »
Quote from: metafour;520808
The biohazard symbol, as requested by Dow chemicals, needed to meet the following criteria:

(ii) unique and unambiguous, in order not to be confused with symbols used for other purposes

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/orsp/coms/BiosafetyResources/1967-10-13-Science-paper-Biohazard-Symbol.pdf

This is dangerous!!!

If this symbol is used on a keyboard to indicate a Super key (or whatever) people will not run away anymore when they see that symbol.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:39:24 »
Quote from: metafour;520808

(i) striking in form in order to draw immediate attention
(iii) quickly recognizable and easily recalled
(iv) easily stenciled
(v) symmetrical, in order to appear identical from all angles of approach
(vi) acceptable to groups of varying ethnic backgrounds

i say it lacks (i) and (ii) and (v).

i) it isn't that striking, not very dynamic, not very attention grabbing
ii) Not very unique, it looks liek a window. It could be mistaken for a Window maker logo. The old one looks like a flag...
v) The old one is, but the new win8 one is not rotationally symmetrical.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:41:23 »
Quote from: 7bit;520821
This is dangerous!!!

If this symbol is used on a keyboard to indicate a Super key (or whatever) people will not run away anymore when they see that symbol.

/discussion

Metafour wants to endanger lives!!!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 12:55:11 »
Lol, and the new one doesn't look like a flag? GO NORWAY!

Offline Kisakuku

« Reply #389 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:08:36 »
Quote from: ripster;520847
Stop swiping my jokes.

I really gotta take a picture of my Rainbow keys?

You swiped mine first.

Offline faMine

• http://www.overclock.net
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:23:17 »
1x Ragnarok!

Offline Mafioso

« Reply #391 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 13:42:02 »
1Ragnarok
1x Keyset

1x Keyset

Offline metafour

« Reply #392 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:02:50 »
Quote from: demik;520827
Metafour wants to endanger lives!!!

This is my ultimate life goal. Guess I'll have to find another way to achieve it. =\

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #393 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:11:26 »
Quote from: 7bit;520821
This is dangerous!!!

Furthering my goal of a biohazard induced ragnarok? Mwa ha haa.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #394 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:36:51 »
I'd be happier with a blank key than a Windoze key, but I guess that is just me.
Russ

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #395 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:39:28 »
You can always buy it straight from sp or wasd, nothing is holding you back.

Offline metafour

« Reply #396 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:42:23 »
Quote from: demik;520964
You can always buy it straight from sp or wasd, nothing is holding you back.

But wouldn't it have a different profile?

Offline Ragnorock

• * Maker
  • Group Buy Guy
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:43:46 »
If you want a blank to look right with an SP kit, you should probably go to SP for it, WASD almost certainly uses another profile and probably a different color.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #398 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:43:47 »
Not if you get them from sp

Offline fstop

« Reply #399 on: Tue, 21 February 2012, 14:55:53 »
66 kits and I was the last person updated... Looks like we've already passed the 75 mark at this rate.

:rockon:
CM Storm Quickfire MX Reds
CM Storm Quickfire MX Blues
Filco Majestouch-2  MX Browns
RealForce 87uw uniform 45g