Author Topic: [GB] GMK Olivia++ | Orders Closed  (Read 273089 times)

Offline Domantas

Re: [GB] GMK Olivia++ | Orders Closed
« Reply #600 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:13:27 »
I don't understand people. Spacebars are bent and everyone are ok with it ? I love my olivia++ set (and probably everyone else, who post their picks and they post because they care) because after all they are only two keys, but will definitely prefer nicer spacebars. One of them was tested and it works (don't know about 7u because I still don't have 7u board), but should we be okay and wait till gmk will make round spacebar horizontally like epbt? Also gmk have problems with question mark - it is different on every keyset I got - is this with purpose? Honestly I don't care about question mark, spacebars are what I care more, because some people use gmk spacebars instead of epbt, so what spacebar to use now instead of those for cherry profile? A lot of questions: not enough answers from gmk. Hope we will get some, dixie mech has talked with gmk and soon posting their answers
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:21:35 by Domantas »

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #601 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:19:42 »
I don't see why there could not be a middle ground where we can accept that GMK keysets are not perfect (and have never been) while also asking for better quality control in regards to legitimate issues.

Offline lemongrassii

• ig
« Reply #602 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:22:21 »
Received the set yesterday and noticed that the bandolier design looked a little odd, almost like a punched card, 80 columns and 12 rows..

So I did some decoding and voilà! :D

"THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING IN THE CREATION OF THIS KEYSET AND THANK YOU EVEN
MORE FOR SOLVING THIS PUZZLE! I TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORTS AND ATTENTION <2"

KMAC HAPPY × DOLINGER 2017 × ORION V3 + LIGHTPAD V2 × 280 × IDB60 × LEAF60 × 8XV1.2OG × 8XV2.0ADD × GSKT-00 × TENGU × BIAS × RF87U × HHKBP2+HHKBPC+HHKBPH TYPE-S

Offline Domantas

« Reply #603 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:24:49 »
I don't see why there could not be a middle ground where we can accept that GMK keysets are not perfect (and have never been) while also asking for better quality control in regards to legitimate issues.

But wob set I got is perfect XD not even a half mm bent on spacebar.

Mainly, I just don't understand why we consumers have to be their Q&A. Their are grown ass 40 years company, they should know how to do that

Offline cijanzen

« Reply #604 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:26:43 »
Received the set yesterday and noticed that the bandolier design looked a little odd, almost like a punched card, 80 columns and 12 rows..

Show Image

"THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING IN THE CREATION OF THIS KEYSET AND THANK YOU EVEN

Oh wow, that’s super clever of both Olivia and you to discover and decipher it!

Offline Domantas

« Reply #605 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:27:37 »

Show Image

Nice :D

Offline lemongrassii

• ig
« Reply #606 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:37:36 »

Show Image

Haha thanks! Just couldn't let you beat me to the punch a second time after you were already the one to figure out the GB date :thumb:
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:39:21 by lemongrassii »

KMAC HAPPY × DOLINGER 2017 × ORION V3 + LIGHTPAD V2 × 280 × IDB60 × LEAF60 × 8XV1.2OG × 8XV2.0ADD × GSKT-00 × TENGU × BIAS × RF87U × HHKBP2+HHKBPC+HHKBPH TYPE-S

Offline cijanzen

[GB] GMK Olivia++ | Orders Closed
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 09:50:54 »

Show Image

Haha thanks! Just couldn't let you beat me to the punch a second time after you were already the one to figure out the GB date :thumb:
Haha I looked at the boxes and was like, oh that’s a fun pattern and then thought nothing more of it!

Offline NimbleTortoise

« Reply #608 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 17:28:44 »
Man yall got fooled by the GMK hype hard. This community when it first started out really tried to justify their $200 on keysets to newcomers by saying "Look high quality double shot. Flawless legends!". But the legends were never flawless, in fact some of it improved over time when I compare my gmk olivia to gmk hyperfuse. You buy GMK for the colors, it's that simple. The new tray is trash and it's probably way more overpriced than people think it is (especially now that none of this is so niche like it used to be) but you can't complain like GMK took a massive step backwards. This was always what GMK was.

Offline olsen34

« Reply #609 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 21:23:09 »
Haha, couldn't have said it better. These guys act like a marketing salesman doing their hardest to praise GMK quality when some newbies ask why choose GMK. Then when the fact is laid upon their eyes that GMK quality is subpar they don't care because it has the color they like XD So hypocritical.

Offline itsmartin

« Reply #610 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 23:33:27 »
Got my sets today (Light, Dark, Spacebars) and sure the spacebars have a slight warp by a mm or so.
Mounted them and didn’t notice at all.

Set looks great and performs its job as a nice looking set of keycaps - just like I expected.
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 September 2020, 23:38:07 by itsmartin »

Offline rikercd

« Reply #611 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 23:44:05 »
I think my Bento 7u spacebar had a slight amount of warp but it's by far the least noticeable of all of my sets when mounted. The slight flexibility of ABS lends itself well to being pressed flat while mounted on a board. Olivia++ spacebar looks fine as well.

I'm way less worried about that than I am the goofy looking legends.

Offline dak148

« Reply #612 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 14:44:26 »
Can you put the spacebar in some semi-hot water and then hold it down to fix the bend? I get that a lot of runners like using GMK for the colors but I hate shine more than I like vibrant colors so I try to avoid GMK unless its a set I really like.

Offline quinnx

« Reply #613 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 15:52:20 »
I was absolutely scared reading some reply in this thread. but then my spacebar kit is actually perfect while the standard 6.25u unit has minimal wrapped. Now i do want to see others experience to determine whether this issue is statistically significant, or just another anomaly

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #614 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 16:05:22 »
Man yall got fooled by the GMK hype hard. This community when it first started out really tried to justify their $200 on keysets to newcomers by saying "Look high quality double shot. Flawless legends!". But the legends were never flawless, in fact some of it improved over time when I compare my gmk olivia to gmk hyperfuse. You buy GMK for the colors, it's that simple. The new tray is trash and it's probably way more overpriced than people think it is (especially now that none of this is so niche like it used to be) but you can't complain like GMK took a massive step backwards. This was always what GMK was.

Oh man, you got us. And we would have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for you meddling kids.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #615 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 18:32:56 »

You're so wrong it hurts.

Offline Clyde1

« Reply #616 on: Wed, 16 September 2020, 18:59:51 »
Will the Olivia release in Kat profile?

Offline JFAK3

« Reply #617 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:20:55 »
Is that the normal markup to go from $110 group buy to $170 for extras base kits? i know folks will pay it, just a little bit sticker shocked at the 55% markup. Not sure if this is standard practice or if it feels inflated for this set. New to the community and legitimately curious.

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #618 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:25:35 »
Is that the normal markup to go from $110 group buy to $170 for extras base kits? i know folks will pay it, just a little bit sticker shocked at the 55% markup. Not sure if this is standard practice or if it feels inflated for this set. New to the community and legitimately curious.

Yes, this markup is 100% the norm and is the minimum mark up you'll see on extras. Pre-ordering is a bonus and a money saver.

The markup is still better than buying aftermarket.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #619 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:25:54 »

Yeah, Novelkeys usually marks extras up quite a bit.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #620 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:30:46 »

Yes. Given that these are going for $300 on the secondary market, the sticker shock is that NovelKeys isn't charging more.

Offline JFAK3

« Reply #621 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:33:04 »
Thanks for the note. I looked through and found a similar thread. Someone had the same question on the GMK Apollo sets. Similar markup and comments that a typical in stock GMK base set runs around $180.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #622 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 15:59:52 »
Thanks for the note. I looked through and found a similar thread. Someone had the same question on the GMK Apollo sets. Similar markup and comments that a typical in stock GMK base set runs around $180.

I know it's just semantics, but I wouldn't even call it a markup.

The point of a groupbuy is people are taking on risk that the groupbuy will fail or otherwise not deliver what was expected. There is also a time element since a GMK groupbuy could take a year (or more).

So, the groupbuy is effectively a discount off of the retail price.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #623 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 17:32:35 »
To add: When vendors buy extras, I believe they are paying upfront and out-of-pocket.

Offline hammerbrotha

« Reply #624 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 22:10:01 »
Anyone in Canada still waiting for their Olivia order?  Mines been stuck in Chicago for a number of days. I'm assuming it's just delayed due to all that is going on in the world.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #625 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 02:37:39 »
I'm trying to hop on the extras to gift to my sister. The sticker shock is a lot but I know she'll appreciate it.

Offline robbieheart

« Reply #626 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 12:43:36 »
USPS doesnt know where it delivered my package and I can't get a lost claim payout until 15 days, won't even have the funds for NK extras on time, so I guess Olivia wasn't meant for me  :(

Tofu XD75  PC KBD67 MKII

Offline constantinos

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 13:04:15 »
Hello, are the extras already released? Could someone point me to where they are sold at?

Offline NimbleTortoise

« Reply #628 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 14:13:15 »

You're so wrong it hurts.

And yet you can't point out what I'm wrong about

Offline Domantas

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 17:35:12 »

Yup this is more than fair. In the aftermarket it will be 200%-250% and it is also fair-ish

Offline Domantas

« Reply #630 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 17:36:14 »
I think my Bento 7u spacebar had a slight amount of warp but it's by far the least noticeable of all of my sets when mounted. The slight flexibility of ABS lends itself well to being pressed flat while mounted on a board. Olivia++ spacebar looks fine as well.

I am oposite I am whatever with legends, but really hate bent spacebars :D

Offline YangYoga

« Reply #631 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 05:41:55 »
What is the meaning/story of the hihihi?

Offline alpaone

« Reply #632 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 06:28:17 »
[...]

I'm in the same boat. My spacebar works fine, but the legend on the 1.5u Code key seems to be in a noticeable lighter font weight than all the other legends.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #633 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 11:15:16 »
Extras went in less than 30 seconds. I only managed to add it to cart, but was too late for checkout :D
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline JFAK3

« Reply #634 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 11:19:05 »
Extras went in less than 30 seconds. I only managed to add it to cart, but was too late for checkout :D

Was more like 20 seconds. Check the aftermarket page. Feels like this was botted and will be a lot of resale unless the rumors on the number of extra kits was off.

Offline PallyP

« Reply #635 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 11:38:37 »

Was more like 20 seconds. Check the aftermarket page. Feels like this was botted and will be a lot of resale unless the rumors on the number of extra kits was off.

Was a minute late and managed to get a dark kit (unsure if there's just less demand or what not)

Offline taats

« Reply #636 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 12:03:13 »
I'd personally love to see SA but in uniform R3. KAT, KAM profile, maybe a round 3 on GMK...?

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #637 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 12:59:46 »
I feel so dumb I didn't realize the extras is a different listing than the GB listing  :(
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #638 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 13:01:44 »
Time for vendors to buy 5 digits of extras, or stock these sets frequently.

Offline DukeEsquire

« Reply #639 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 13:31:02 »
I tried to get the Rama artisan, but got killed by Captcha.

Offline Drehunnid

« Reply #640 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 14:58:25 »
managed to cop a dark kit. light kit and rama sold out while I was inputting discount code and checking out with paypal... This is giving me flashbacks to my sneaker collecting days.

Offline higgga

« Reply #641 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:02:54 »

Not sure if you're being serious here...

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #642 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:11:51 »
Are we sure there were no bots?  :(, these sets went pretty (insert word here) fast >:(

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #643 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:20:49 »
Are we sure there were no bots?  :(, these sets went pretty (insert word here) fast >:(
Is it really that hard to believe that a handful of sets flew when everyone and there mother were trying to get one? It's a supply vs demand issue, not a bot issue.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #644 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:23:51 »

Why the hell wouldn't I be? Does anyone seriously like waiting a year+ for keycaps or having a few seconds of a window to get an extra set? Does anyone seriously want to pay three times the price for something, EVER? This business model is outdated considering the growth of the hobby. It's time for people who have the ability to step up and make it better.

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #645 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:28:19 »
Is it really that hard to believe that a handful of sets flew when everyone and there mother were trying to get one? It's a supply vs demand issue, not a bot issue.

I'm clearly frustrated as is the other people, apologies, but yes your logic is sound.

Offline higgga

« Reply #646 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:35:16 »

Why the hell wouldn't I be? Does anyone seriously like waiting a year+ for keycaps or having a few seconds of a window to get an extra set? Does anyone seriously want to pay three times the price for something, EVER? This business model is outdated considering the growth of the hobby. It's time for people who have the ability to step up and make it better.

To answer your rhetorical questions, no, but what you're suggesting is not the answer. Buying as many extras as you suggest would mean vendors would have to spend millions of dollars (multiplied by however many sets they are running), then wait 9+ months to see any return. Considering most vendors are teams of a few people at most, I would imagine that it's not possible. Since the wait time is so long, vendors can't stock sets frequently either.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #647 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 15:56:14 »

To answer your rhetorical questions, no, but what you're suggesting is not the answer. Buying as many extras as you suggest would mean vendors would have to spend millions of dollars (multiplied by however many sets they are running), then wait 9+ months to see any return. Considering most vendors are teams of a few people at most, I would imagine that it's not possible. Since the wait time is so long, vendors can't stock sets frequently either.

Yes you have to spend money to make money. You can't keep looking at these multi-team vendors shoveling people limited product as small, friendly teams. They are a business whos ultimate goal is to make money. Meeting consumer satisfaction should be their highest priority, and limited time sensitive product denies that. Novelkeys itself is capable of running an unlimited group buy on the NK65, which should amount easily to the thousands, and have started to purchase keysets outright to stock in their store. There is no reason for anyone to sit on their hands and expect this model to keep working, other than to keep inflating consumer interest in limited product to ensure they rush to get them "because, dear god if I don't buy this RIGHT NOW I'll only have 30 seconds in a year to get it or else I'm paying triple the price!", and creating a vapid hype machine that isn't a healthy mindset for a hobby to be directed in. I don't wait a year or pay triple for a specific coat of paint for my model car. I don't fight bots and other people for a specific color Gunpla detailing marker in a 3rd party aftermarket. These products are available to me and I am supplied them in a reasonable time frame and manner, and expecting this incredibly reasonable treatment in any hobby as a consumer should not be fantasy. Idly waiting by and making excuses that vendors can only do so much cuts the hobby at the knees.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2020, 16:08:25 by Kokaloo »

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #648 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 16:11:49 »

Yes you have to spend money to make money. You can't keep looking at these multi-team vendors shoveling people limited product as small, friendly teams. They are a business whos ultimate goal is to make money. Meeting consumer satisfaction should be their highest priority, and limited time sensitive product denies that. Novelkeys itself is capable of running an unlimited group buy on the NK65, which should amount easily to the thousands, and have started to purchase keysets outright to stock in their store. There is no reason for anyone to sit on their hands and expect this model to keep working, other than to keep inflating consumer interest in limited product to ensure they rush to get them "because, dear god if I don't buy this RIGHT NOW I'll only have 30 seconds in a year to get it or else I'm paying triple the price!", and creating a vapid hype machine that isn't a healthy mindset for a hobby to be directed in. I don't wait a year or pay triple for a specific coat of paint for my model car. I don't fight bots and other people for a specific color Gunpla detailing marker in a 3rd party aftermarket. These products are available to me and I am supplied them in a reasonable time frame and manner, and expecting this incredibly reasonable treatment in any hobby as a consumer should not be fantasy. Idly waiting by and making excuses that vendors can only do so much cuts the hobby at the knees.
I think everything you are saying is logically correct and sound, but I thought we were all on the same page that this hobby is supposed to be a vapid hype machine. Vendors are businesses, so they should be treated like them. You, and me, and everyone who is not a vendor is a wallet with money, and are treated as such by vendors.

From a business stand point it makes more sense to just GB these hype sets, markup a minimal amount of extras, and keep that hype machine pumping.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #649 on: Mon, 21 September 2020, 16:18:02 »

I think everything you are saying is logically correct and sound, but I thought we were all on the same page that this hobby is supposed to be a vapid hype machine. Vendors are businesses, so they should be treated like them. You, and me, and everyone who is not a vendor is a wallet with money, and are treated as such by vendors.

From a business stand point it makes more sense to just GB these hype sets, markup a minimal amount of extras, and keep that hype machine pumping.

That sounds like a terrible way to spend my time, and that was not the impression I was personally given when delving deeper into the hobby. I found a builders hobby that had seemingly unlimited personalization potential, and even more as you learn 3d modeling and dabble into engineering. It can be argued that flashy colored keysets are only a fraction of what I am capable of experiencing, but denying the people that have chosen to use these colors to personalize their keyboard and make something that is truly theirs the experience of a hobby that has normal and trusted consumer practices is heartbreaking. I personally do not want to sit back and accept that vendors can keep running anti-consumer business models. They have the ability to change into something familiar to most other people who have been in a hobby before, and choosing not to do so is greed and manipulation.