Author Topic: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPED  (Read 251515 times)

Offline donhonk

Sexy spacebar.

Thank you! My first aftermarket case and its amazing. Can't wait for whatever your next thing is, curious if you still wanna tackle the corian idea cause it sounds so unique.

Offline salvanipour

Speaking of spacebars I noticed a dearth of decent spacebar options for Topre keyboards. The PBT ones I've come across are hit or miss in quality. It would be interesting if one of the top custom designer (Salvun, Rama, Norbauer) could come up with a nice aluminum Topre spacebar.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
Speaking of spacebars I noticed a dearth of decent spacebar options for Topre keyboards. The PBT ones I've come across are hit or miss in quality. It would be interesting if one of the top custom designer (Salvun, Rama, Norbauer) could come up with a nice aluminum Topre spacebar.

metal keycaps are too heavy

PBT aftermarket spacebars are about as good as we'll get for now, but you can fix ones that are slightly misshapen with some heat

Offline duckboi

metal keycaps are too heavy

PBT aftermarket spacebars are about as good as we'll get for now, but you can fix ones that are slightly misshapen with some heat

Personally my favorite has always been the stock ABS space, all the pbt ones ive tried have felt strange and sounded bad too. :shrug:
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline Polymer

Really?  They feel so much better...sound better as well...ABS will eventually get a bit clanky and need to be re-seated periodically...

Offline salvanipour

I've yet to find a PBT spacebar that matches the overall quality of the rest of the keyboard. Without derailing things too much I think a matching spacebar to this case would be pretty slick.

Offline PurpleURP

The powder finishes definitely require a special degree of patience. :) The powder workshop was waiting for all the powder to come into stock and they'll begin production, which is stated to take 1-2 months. I don't like to bug them too much, but I'll check in with them next week to ensure that all the powder came in and that they're ready to go or have already begun work. FWIW, I generally expect powder coating shops to take longer than the timelines they quote. -_-

So what do you think norbauer, will powder coated cases be ready in time for norcal meet up Nov 10?

Offline Dumblescore

Some thoughts after installing my RF 88UB in the case, and using it for a couple of days.

I had the same issue with the pcb securing screws as some others have mentioned, where they didn't go far enough in to secure the pcb (or the screws were too short). I couldn't find any metal shavings/residue in the holes, so I don't think that was the issue. But I did see some signs of the threads not going all the way to the bottom of the holes. Perhaps this is the real reason for this issue? Or perhaps the 88UB pcb's are thinner than 87's. I didn't think of measuring the thickness of my pcb while i had it out though.
I fixed this with some nylon washers.

One minor issue with the risers and rubber feet is that the risers interfere with the rubber feet on the short sides of the case.
(Attachment Link)
This is mainly an issue if going from no risers (and all rubber feet installed) to risers installed, since two of the rubber feet would have to me removed.
But I think there is enough material in the risers that it would have been possible to make a small notch/pocket for the rubber feet on top of the risers, so that both could be installed at the same time. But hindsight is 20/20, and it's hard to think of everything when designing something like this.
I will probably always have risers installed anyway, so this is not really an issue for me.

Finally the risers could have been a tad higher in my opinion. Although this might improve if I used a wrist rest, so I'll have to get one to try it out.
But I think it might be possible to make some higher risers in the same design as the current risers, something like this amazing paint illustration shows:
(Attachment Link)
Taller risers for Norbaforce GB anyone??

These are all very small gripes, and I'm overall extremely pleased with the final product. The feel and finish of this thing is fantastic, and the case combined with KBDfans silencing rings has brought my RF to a HHKB-level of tactility and feel.

Here's a final image of my (current) endgame!
Which my wife promptly took off with, claiming she needed it for productivity or something like that.
(Attachment Link)
Oh man.  I didn’t even realize it was that sleek!  I may end up needing a wrist rest but I’m going to love it to death once it’s here!

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
So I finished installing the Norbaforce last night. Let me put this out of the way: the outer shell and all visible areas when the keyboard is on the table are spotless! I've got the Tactical Black and the hard anodization feels really really smooth and great to touch. Though it is a fingerprint magnet so, yeah  :)) On the instruction manual side, there's the serial number in the corner. Mine is #133, the only number I would consider better than it is #233, seriously Ryan, are you a psychic?

Now, here comes the not so great part:

1. On my left side riser feet, the inner wall of the screw hole got a big dent in it. Like maybe the tip of the drill hit it or something?

202584-0

2. The screw holes on the case got some weird white residue, some got smudges and discolorisation like this

202586-1

3. There are small scratches in 2 out of 4 corners of the cases:

202590-2202594-3

4. I also notice the issue of the screws that hold the plate. I tightened all 4 screws all the way and in the end, if I push strongly from the PCB side, the plate+PCB can still move. I haven't added any washers or check the threads yet, since it doesn't move if pushed from the keycap side. Next time I do some modding I'll check back at it and report later

All in all, it's a great product. It's hefty, looks great, feels great, and typing on it feels awesome. Just that my unboxing experience was a bit dented (pun intended  :p) by those visual imperfections (though as I preface, they are never visible once the board is assembled). Oh, almost forgot to mention the fancy cable works for me too. It seems like people are reporting the cable works for them too? So really tough luck on those that got the faulty ones. And here is the picture of the final product, thanks so much Ryan  :thumb:

202592-4
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 September 2018, 06:43:46 by thelaughingman »

Offline gabbbe

It might be a dumb question but I don't have a RealForce keyboard.
Can I buy a tkl pcb e use this case? If yes, what pieces do you recommend for a build?

Thank you!

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
It might be a dumb question but I don't have a RealForce keyboard.
Can I buy a tkl pcb e use this case? If yes, what pieces do you recommend for a build?

Thank you!

no, this is just for Realforces

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
More
The powder finishes definitely require a special degree of patience. :) The powder workshop was waiting for all the powder to come into stock and they'll begin production, which is stated to take 1-2 months. I don't like to bug them too much, but I'll check in with them next week to ensure that all the powder came in and that they're ready to go or have already begun work. FWIW, I generally expect powder coating shops to take longer than the timelines they quote. -_-

Hi Ryan, I really thank you for all the work you put into these projects.
The cases are looking really good, and that's part of the issue I'm having right now. I'm seeing all these awesome boards be posted and I just really wish I could get mine. I ordered an anodized finish because when I talked to you, you strongly recommended it to me for quicker turnaround times since I was one of the last people to get their Norbatouch case last round. But needing to wait since I'm in Europe and seeing your last update on how long the power coating will still take, I'm going nuts. Please let me now of there is anything we can do so I can get that case a bit sooner.
Thanks

I'm currently looking into sending the anodized ones ahead to MyKeyboard.eu. It'll still take a while to go through the whole process, however, so if you need it ASAP, as mentioned above, feel free to email me and we can make alternate arrangements for you.

If you're planning on doing a first shipment of the anodized cases, I should be able to wait that long. If not please let us know and I will request an earlier shipping. Thanks

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
used it today at work, super satisfied with it!

more pics here

Offline Will_26

used it today at work, super satisfied with it!

Show Image

more pics here

That's awesome!

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

I'm currently looking into sending the anodized ones ahead to MyKeyboard.eu. It'll still take a while to go through the whole process, however, so if you need it ASAP, as mentioned above, feel free to email me and we can make alternate arrangements for you.
Hello Ryan,

I mailed you ~2 days ago regarding the same topic. Are there maybe any updates?

Offline anorphirith

Re: the Norbaforce: after-market housing for RealForce TKL keyboards — SHIPPING
« Reply #815 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 18:59:26 »

1. On my left side riser feet, the inner wall of the screw hole got a big dent in it. Like maybe the tip of the drill hit it or something?

2. The screw holes on the case got some weird white residue, some got smudges and discolorisation like this

4. I also notice the issue of the screws that hold the plate. I tightened all 4 screws all the way and in the end, if I push strongly from the PCB side, the plate+PCB can still move. I haven't added any washers or check the threads yet, since it doesn't move if pushed from the keycap side. Next time I do some modding I'll check back at it and report later

wow this is next level pickiness, a dent in a whole at the bottom of the case ?! seriously

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #816 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 19:06:01 »
wow this is next level pickiness, a dent in a whole at the bottom of the case ?! seriously

Whilst it is picky, they are legitimate issues, and noting them down can help Norbauer in the future to improve quality.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #817 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 19:18:32 »

So what do you think norbauer, will powder coated cases be ready in time for norcal meet up Nov 10?

I just spoke with the powder coating folks today and they said they believe that 4-6 weeks is a good estimate at this point.

So I finished installing the Norbaforce last night. Let me put this out of the way: the outer shell and all visible areas when the keyboard is on the table are spotless! ...

I too am disappointed by even invisible imperfections that are hidden inside the case and (crazy though it can sometimes make me, and definitely makes my manufacturers), I actually am always working to reduce even hidden cosmetic variations of this kind. However, within the bounds of the pricing I've been using in the past, the deal I've worked out with the factory to keep the cosmetic quality of the exterior of the housing as high as possible without raising the price too much (higher cosmetic standards often just means throwing more units away), is that I won't reject a case if there are minor to moderate cosmetic blemishes on surfaces that can't be seen during normal use of the housing. I'm increasingly leaning in the direction of using more expensive manufacturers so we can improve even this relatively non-problematic types of cosmetic variations, but suffice it to say that the types of issues you described are within the bounds of what I at least have agreed with the factory would be acceptable. It's always a delicate balance between having to charge more (and disappoint some people who won't be able to afford it) and relaxing standards a bit and having to disappoint people who want and expect the product to arrive in the form of a Platonic archetype. When I buy stuff, I actually tend to fall more into the latter category myself, so for whatever it's worth, on my next project I'm probably just going to have higher prices (i.e., paying more to use a better manufacturer and finishing vendors) so I have more leverage to demand higher cosmetic standards. However, that all being said, I still feel pretty comfortable about the balance I struck on the Norbaforces. I hope the issues, no matter how minor or invisible, aren't too much of a disappointment. After all, the payoff to these projects is entirely psychological and aesthetic, so you get to decide what hits those buttons for you. :)

More

Hi Ryan, I really thank you for all the work you put into these projects.
The cases are looking really good, and that's part of the issue I'm having right now. I'm seeing all these awesome boards be posted and I just really wish I could get mine. I ordered an anodized finish because when I talked to you, you strongly recommended it to me for quicker turnaround times since I was one of the last people to get their Norbatouch case last round. But needing to wait since I'm in Europe and seeing your last update on how long the power coating will still take, I'm going nuts. Please let me now of there is anything we can do so I can get that case a bit sooner.
Thanks

If you're planning on doing a first shipment of the anodized cases, I should be able to wait that long. If not please let us know and I will request an earlier shipping. Thanks

I am currently waiting on some details that I have requested from MyKeyboard.eu and could be ready to ship as early as this week when I get them.

Offline chakku

• airi.su
« Reply #818 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 03:26:24 »
All set up now, looks like my cable is working too, but it's too short for my setup (to run direct to my PC) so I'll have to get a longer one anyway. Installed the foam on the back plate too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 September 2018, 03:30:01 by chakku »

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #819 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 06:30:53 »

yep, that's me  :p

Offline thelaughingman

« Reply #820 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 06:42:44 »
I too am disappointed by even invisible imperfections that are hidden inside the case and (crazy though it can sometimes make me, and definitely makes my manufacturers), I actually am always working to reduce even hidden cosmetic variations of this kind. However, within the bounds of the pricing I've been using in the past, the deal I've worked out with the factory to keep the cosmetic quality of the exterior of the housing as high as possible without raising the price too much (higher cosmetic standards often just means throwing more units away), is that I won't reject a case if there are minor to moderate cosmetic blemishes on surfaces that can't be seen during normal use of the housing. I'm increasingly leaning in the direction of using more expensive manufacturers so we can improve even this relatively non-problematic types of cosmetic variations, but suffice it to say that the types of issues you described are within the bounds of what I at least have agreed with the factory would be acceptable. It's always a delicate balance between having to charge more (and disappoint some people who won't be able to afford it) and relaxing standards a bit and having to disappoint people who want and expect the product to arrive in the form of a Platonic archetype. When I buy stuff, I actually tend to fall more into the latter category myself, so for whatever it's worth, on my next project I'm probably just going to have higher prices (i.e., paying more to use a better manufacturer and finishing vendors) so I have more leverage to demand higher cosmetic standards. However, that all being said, I still feel pretty comfortable about the balance I struck on the Norbaforces. I hope the issues, no matter how minor or invisible, aren't too much of a disappointment. After all, the payoff to these projects is entirely psychological and aesthetic, so you get to decide what hits those buttons for you. :)

Thank you for the detailed write-up, cannot say I didn't expect it. And having a bit more insight into your thinking about the project/product is definitely beneficial to everybody. I fall into the latter category as well, as mentioned multiple times in the post, I'm very very happy with the case I received and I'll make damn sure to show it off as often as possible (already got quite a few "ooh" & "aahh" from the picture I shared)  ;D

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #821 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 09:01:17 »
Hey all,
Curious how some of you are altering Left Ctrl key/slider/housing to get cherry slider/keycaps on it?
Just curious, something i've been trying to get perfected for a while now.
I want to put my GMK camping on my Norbaforce. I've tried messing with the sliders to get it to fit, but never get it PERFECT. (although i get it on there, just doesn't FEEL right.)
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks!!

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #822 on: Wed, 05 September 2018, 14:19:48 »
Hey all,
Curious how some of you are altering Left Ctrl key/slider/housing to get cherry slider/keycaps on it?
Just curious, something i've been trying to get perfected for a while now.
I want to put my GMK camping on my Norbaforce. I've tried messing with the sliders to get it to fit, but never get it PERFECT. (although i get it on there, just doesn't FEEL right.)
Any tips appreciated.
Thanks!!

Yeah, the left control.
I used a file to modify the hole so it fits a standard housing like the rest of the switches.
Then I replaced the housing with one from a broken novatouch.
(I also swapped all the 2U housings with their NT counterparts so I didn't have to drill anything).

Offline richard912

« Reply #823 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 01:14:09 »
Finally found the time to get mine done today. Noticed one of the plate mounting screws did not screw in well resulting in the plate not being able to be properly secured on one of the corners resulting in some vibrations because of a "gap". Did not want to over-screw and I'm sure can be remedied with a washer (gonna get this done later when I find time to go look for one or two).

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2018, 01:17:57 by richard912 »

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #825 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 04:54:01 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The WKL version looks so nice. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them around, though. I wonder how many were ordered?  :)
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #826 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 13:03:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The WKL version looks so nice. There doesn't seem to be a lot of them around, though. I wonder how many were ordered?  :)

Nice photos, ihalatch!

Lansky, I think WKL was like maybe 5% of the orders. ;)

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #827 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 13:34:27 »

Wow, that's a surprisingly low number. I was expecting something closer to a 50/50 split. :)
Norbaforce (88UB, BKE Heavy, silenced), Noxary XRF (stock 87UB, 55g) Singa R2 (retooled MX Blacks w/ 68g catweewee springs), LZ GH V2 (V1 Zealios 67g), RAMA U80-A (Holy GSUS)

Offline avid

« Reply #828 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 10:15:03 »

Wow, that's a surprisingly low number. I was expecting something closer to a 50/50 split. :)

People want WKL, but 86u is rare/expensive and most own a 87u.

Offline dallman5

« Reply #829 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 10:32:16 »

FWIW, I think the 87U looks surprisingly good in the WKL housing as well
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #830 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:01:34 »

I don't get WKL at all.
Is it a linux thing?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #831 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:09:35 »

I don't get WKL at all.
Is it a linux thing?

It's an aesthetic thing for some.  I've grown to appreciate it for the larger left Alt that I use a lot when gaming.  That and the fact I won't accidentally hit the windows key when gaming.  I just rebind the right alt to the windows key if I feel like I need it for things like window management (win + arrows), widows explorer (win + E) and other  hotkeys.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #832 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:28:15 »
I'm currently looking into sending the anodized ones ahead to MyKeyboard.eu. It'll still take a while to go through the whole process...

Any updates on this?  :)

Offline hayt

• * Maker
« Reply #833 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:31:08 »

FWIW, I think the 87U looks surprisingly good in the WKL housing as well

Agreed! Kicking myself for not getting a WKL

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #834 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 11:31:58 »

I don't get WKL at all.
Is it a linux thing?

It's an aesthetic thing for some.  I've grown to appreciate it for the larger left Alt that I use a lot when gaming.  That and the fact I won't accidentally hit the windows key when gaming.  I just rebind the right alt to the windows key if I feel like I need it for things like window management (win + arrows), widows explorer (win + E) and other  hotkeys.

I don't get WKL at all.
Is it a linux thing?

Ahh, so it's like having a neck tattoo and a stretching.
Looks cool, but limits one's options for productive work.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #835 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 15:59:22 »
I'm currently looking into sending the anodized ones ahead to MyKeyboard.eu. It'll still take a while to go through the whole process...

They have shipped to MyKeyboard.eu.

Offline Lansky

• Realest motherthocker
« Reply #836 on: Thu, 13 September 2018, 17:16:42 »

They have shipped to MyKeyboard.eu.

Sweet, I can't wait! Thanks for the update, Ryan.

Offline q1w2e3r4t5z

« Reply #837 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:41:33 »
Received mine today. Thank you so much, Ryan!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #838 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 12:46:48 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Nice photos, ihalatch!

Damn, that's massive to think about... MX seems to be about 75% WKL for me.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #839 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 15:57:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stunning!

But that mx hhkb has caught my eye. Anyone know what board that is?

Offline regionfree

« Reply #841 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 00:29:08 »
Black plate and caps go really well with the sandblasted aluminum 😁

203559-0

203561-1

203563-2

Offline chakku

• airi.su
« Reply #842 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 00:53:38 »
Anyone else not quite having the PCB sit still in the enclosure? When I was hitting keys around the bottom right of the board (right shift, right ctrl, arrow keys, etc) there was an audible noise made from presumably the PCB itself moving up and down slightly. I tightened the screws as much as possible without pushing it to the point of breaking, but it still persisteted. My current fix was to add a second layer of the foam just to the bottom of the backplate to pad it a bit more and push up against the PCB, which has helped it tremendously.

Also a lot of the components on my PCB are on the bottom face rather than the top like Norbauer's video installation guide, luckily these components such as the caps just dig themselves a hole in the foam.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2018, 00:55:24 by chakku »

Offline le_wraith

« Reply #844 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 02:11:21 »
203566-0

Offline child

« Reply #845 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 04:47:55 »
Anyone else not quite having the PCB sit still in the enclosure? When I was hitting keys around the bottom right of the board (right shift, right ctrl, arrow keys, etc) there was an audible noise made from presumably the PCB itself moving up and down slightly. I tightened the screws as much as possible without pushing it to the point of breaking, but it still persisteted. My current fix was to add a second layer of the foam just to the bottom of the backplate to pad it a bit more and push up against the PCB, which has helped it tremendously.

I also had this problem and thought about adding foam, but I believe this is not a proper fix, because it just dampens the noise and doesn't prevent it. Instead I went with the washers on plate-mounting screws. Even though only one of those visibly did not hold the plate/PCB tightly, the rattling/noise went away only after I put washers on all of them.

Btw. I also have some outstanding capacitors (took me a while to figure out you don't mean key caps ;)) at the bottom of PCB, so rest assured it's ok.

Offline chakku

• airi.su
« Reply #846 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 05:17:35 »

I also had this problem and thought about adding foam, but I believe this is not a proper fix, because it just dampens the noise and doesn't prevent it. Instead I went with the washers on plate-mounting screws. Even though only one of those visibly did not hold the plate/PCB tightly, the rattling/noise went away only after I put washers on all of them.

Btw. I also have some outstanding capacitors (took me a while to figure out you don't mean key caps ;)) at the bottom of PCB, so rest assured it's ok.

My foam is doing a little more than just dampening it, I have to push the backplate down when I'm screwing it on so it's a squeeze in there and is pushing hard against the PCB. The problem definitely doesn't persist for me any longer but it's good to see there are alternatively solutions, especially if people don't like it lined with foam.

Now I just need to lube some of these stabilizers to get rid of that rattle..
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2018, 05:32:57 by chakku »

Offline Stresemann

« Reply #847 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 07:04:16 »
Here is mine !
very happy with it.
Again, thank you for providing such a awesome looking housing  :D
Cheers and have a good one everybody.
« Last Edit: Sat, 15 September 2018, 07:05:48 by Stresemann »

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #848 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 11:50:24 »

I don't get WKL at all.
Is it a linux thing?

I don't get WKL at all.
Is it a linux thing?

So more of a gaming thing then I guess.
Makes sense because I can't live without my windows key at work.

Offline letze

• Here I am~
« Reply #849 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 04:02:32 »
Finally took some free time to install this case.
203616-0
Also took this opportunity to put some BKE domes/lube slider housing & stab/install silencing ring
Overall really beautiful housing.  :D
Happy to inform metal cable works.

Few things however can be improved for next round gb (if have)
1. One of the keyboard plate screw cannot hold the plate firmly [Even after super tighten it  :eek:]. Can push pcb towards and make some  vibration+noise.
    Solution: Use washer between screw and plate.
203618-1

2. Some smudges + tiny scratch on the case rear cover. While case front cover 100% free from this problem.
3. Increase height of the casing (personal opinion just a lil bit higher  ;))

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 September 2018, 04:06:21 by letze »
HHKB Professional 2 Type S Stock | Topre RF 87U + Norbaforce + Mix BKE Heavy 60g/ Stock 55g + Silencing ring + Slight lubed with [Krytox GPL 105 housing] & [Krytox GPL 205 stab]