Author Topic: [IC] Evolv | A four year journey complete  (Read 394856 times)

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Color Poll!
« Reply #250 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 10:42:07 »
I joined geekhack today because this is the first keyboard I've actually wanted badly enough to join the community.

<3

I keep going back to this post because I find this case to be very interesting. However, I feel like there will be a lot of durability issues or even the easiness of cleaning the board.

Despite looking weak, I can assure you Evolv is not. 7075 aluminum is really strong stuff, and the bottom piece has been stress tested to take a trucks worth of weight. Ease of cleaning is definitely a valid concern, better stock up on air canisters :p

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #251 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:01:29 »
I keep going back to this post because I find this case to be very interesting. However, I feel like there will be a lot of durability issues or even the easiness of cleaning the board.

maybe clear PC casing?

Offline KZzzz

« Reply #252 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 11:06:44 »
I'm super excited for this board :thumb:. Though I am gonna cry a lot when I missed the raffle spots.

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #253 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 20:42:55 »
Although I appreciate the innovative use of generative design for the bottom aesthetics and plate to make such a unique keyboard, being a simple person, the form-factor/lay-out with the rotary dial is the main draw for me.

Offline mypainishurt

« Reply #254 on: Wed, 04 March 2020, 23:31:15 »
I'm interested!

Offline sdaf2

« Reply #255 on: Thu, 05 March 2020, 00:53:30 »
This looks amazing.

I'm going to cry when I see the price

Offline Magas

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard
« Reply #256 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 08:23:20 »
I mean, I'm assuming it's going to be around Infinitum price for sure.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #257 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 08:56:20 »
Not the maker, so cant say for sure, but id expect to add at least $400 to that price point.

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #258 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 09:52:08 »
Not the maker, so cant say for sure, but id expect to add at least $400 to that price point.

This is 100% gonna be 700 minimum and that would be wishful thinking.

Offline eniigma

• Storefront:
« Reply #259 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 09:52:22 »
probably not, I've heard estimates for this around the $1k range. but for what it's worth, the tech being used to manu this board actually costs that much, and that is reflected in the price for this board

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #260 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 11:13:01 »
probably not, I've heard estimates for this around the $1k range. but for what it's worth, the tech being used to manu this board actually costs that much, and that is reflected in the price for this board
Yeah. If anything it'll be well over the 1K mark when all is said and done. It's nice to dream, but manufacturing of designs like this ain't cheap.

Offline Kaptain Mike

• discord: kaptainmike
« Reply #261 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 11:33:56 »
I’m new to all this so would someone explain or point me in the right direction on how this “Buy” is likely to work? What’s a vickery auction? How do these raffles work? No group buy for this? What’s the best way to stay in the loop on how to get this board? It’s the only board that’s really calling my name so I’d like to get in on this as I’ve made some real progress with work this year and I want to reward myself.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #262 on: Fri, 06 March 2020, 13:08:18 »
I’m new to all this so would someone explain or point me in the right direction on how this “Buy” is likely to work? What’s a vickery auction? How do these raffles work? No group buy for this? What’s the best way to stay in the loop on how to get this board? It’s the only board that’s really calling my name so I’d like to get in on this as I’ve made some real progress with work this year and I want to reward myself.

The group buy will be raffle style. A Raffle window will open on the date of the GB and will stay open for some undisclosed amount of time. During that time, every entrant is allowed one, and only one entry. Any attempts to circumvent that rule will have all of your entries canceled and you will be barred from entering future raffles. Once the raffle closes I will randomly select the winners from the list of entrants. Winners will then be announced here on the Discord, and the GB thread on GeekHack. Winners will have 24 hours to pay their invoices. If they don't, they forfeit their spot to the next person.

Best way to stay in the loop is to follow this thread and to join my discord server.

Yeah. If anything it'll be well over the 1K mark when all is said and done. It's nice to dream, but manufacturing of designs like this ain't cheap.

I'm doing my best to keep it under the 1k mark, but yeah, it's gonna be expensive.

Offline ButoLeto

« Reply #263 on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 03:12:37 »
Man this board is sick. I can't wait for the final product to be out. I just registered to Geekhack just because of this board. Following any updates you're posting.

Offline josue

« Reply #264 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 01:06:23 »
Definitely interested in this!

Offline baoduy23

« Reply #265 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 01:38:14 »
Damn! I mean for such a long time I can decide to bring out my money. But! So sad to hear you will run the raffle, why not public GB? You can pick out some special color/change for the raffle, but I know many people want public GB...really sad

Offline pear_voz

« Reply #266 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 04:14:20 »
Really interesting, looking forward to see the prototype <3
Trivium Keyboard Co.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #267 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 06:09:49 »
Damn! I mean for such a long time I can decide to bring out my money. But! So sad to hear you will run the raffle, why not public GB? You can pick out some special color/change for the raffle, but I know many people want public GB...really sad

The raffle is a public GB. Anyone can join the raffle with equal chances of winning. However, since this is my first board, an unlimited GB would simply be much too insane for me to handle, hence why I'm choosing to raffle the limited amount of spots.

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 14:25:01 »
The raffle is a public GB. Anyone can join the raffle with equal chances of winning. However, since this is my first board, an unlimited GB would simply be much too insane for me to handle, hence why I'm choosing to raffle the limited amount of spots.

I also feel the "raffle" style GB is the best and fair solution, for both sides.
The design is insane  :)

Gool luck to everyone! and big THANKS for NathanAlphaMan for bringing such cool designs!  :thumb:

Offline Hellenic94

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:09:17 »
Oh man I need to save up... this is endgame material...

Offline Digby

« Reply #270 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 20:29:47 »
[IC] I joined after seeing this board. That black and gold is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen.

Offline PocketAces

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 09 March 2020, 21:02:32 »
Offering a sacrifice to RNG gods every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline julianlamme

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 18:39:49 »
Need this!

Offline Sycomore

« Reply #273 on: Wed, 11 March 2020, 00:18:27 »

I also feel the "raffle" style GB is the best and fair solution, for both sides.
The design is insane  :)

Gool luck to everyone! and big THANKS for NathanAlphaMan for bringing such cool designs!  :thumb:

I agree with this sentiment, it allows for everyone to have at least a chance be it slim to get one. Also don't want another GSKT-00 groupbuy happening, because I can see it happening with this board.

Offline baoduy23

« Reply #274 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 05:34:55 »
Quite worried about the plate. I & many hate integrated plate, the sound and typing experience is terrible.

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #275 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 06:16:06 »
Very cool design. But I doubt the bottom will look like in the renderings. Laser sintered parts are very stripy. you can polish them but there is no chance to reach those inside areas.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/imaterialise/sets/72157625860613542

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #276 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 06:44:09 »
Very cool design. But I doubt the bottom will look like in the renderings. Laser sintered parts are very stripy. you can polish them but there is no chance to reach those inside areas.

From a layman's perspective, it does seem like aluminum 3D printing would be an issue. Indeed, this has been my main concern with the design ever since I first saw it.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #277 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 07:27:43 »
Aluminum 3d printing is pretty easy with sintering. That said, layer lines are still an issue. Some of it can be alleviated with print orientation. Also, if the part is annodized or powder coated it should help remove some of those visible layers. It definitely won't be as bad as the raw prints linked above.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #278 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 12:13:47 »

You're right the bottom will likely not look like the renders. Protos should be here soon and I've been working with hard my manu to make the bottom as smooth as possible. Very excited to see how it comes out, renders will be updated accordingly from there.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #279 on: Sat, 14 March 2020, 12:17:26 »
Quite worried about the plate. I & many hate integrated plate, the sound and typing experience is terrible.

Sound is a massive concern of mine. I won't release a board that I think sounds poor. There's a lot of things going on internally that should hopefully help the board sound amazing.

As far as typing feel goes, that's the entire point of the generative design. Ideally, it will feel better than anything you've ever typed on before.

Offline Bleurk

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Prototype in Production
« Reply #280 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 08:55:57 »
As someone who does a lot of procedural 3d modelling for architecture this is a must have for sure. I'm following this!

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #281 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 16:28:26 »
Would love to see a Silver+Grey color combination.

Does it come with a hot-swappable option?
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 March 2020, 16:35:33 by alper_maestro »

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #282 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 01:48:40 »
Would love to see a Silver+Grey color combination.

Does it come with a hot-swappable option?

There will not be a hot-swap option

Offline NathanAlphaMan

Re: [IC] Evolv - 75% Keyboard | Prototype Production Complete
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 16:58:22 »
Hi everyone,

Small update, the prototype has just finished production and will be shipping to me from the factory soon. Once it arrives, I'll take some time to evaluate and then write an update post regarding my next steps in this project. Just want to thank everyone for the support so far, this project has been a fantastic ride so far, and I can't wait to see it to completion.

- Nathan

Offline Spressa

« Reply #284 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 19:07:43 »
I'm so excited for this board. Basically, joined geekhack just to get these updates.

Offline FancyFootwork

« Reply #285 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:13:11 »
Hi everyone,

Small update, the prototype has just finished production and will be shipping to me from the factory soon. Once it arrives, I'll take some time to evaluate and then write an update post regarding my next steps in this project. Just want to thank everyone for the support so far, this project has been a fantastic ride so far, and I can't wait to see it to completion.

- Nathan

Thanks for the update.

I was curious about the raffle because this will by my first one. I'm assuming we will be paying to enter the raffle or is that free? If so, how much is it to enter the raffle?

This KB concepts look amazing btw. Just like a few other guys in this thread, I signed up to this forum to keep an eye on this KB.

Offline SryImBadAtNaming

« Reply #286 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:18:28 »
Looks really nice! It's too bad that I can't really afford it right now :(

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #287 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 21:56:57 »
I was curious about the raffle because this will by my first one. I'm assuming we will be paying to enter the raffle or is that free? If so, how much is it to enter the raffle?

This is up to the runner, but raffles are usually free to enter. However, I will say that since this keyboard is likely going to be very expensive (even by custom keyboard standards), it's only fair that people enter only if they actually want one and are willing to pay for it if they get drawn.

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #288 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 22:09:27 »

This is up to the runner, but raffles are usually free to enter. However, I will say that since this keyboard is likely going to be very expensive (even by custom keyboard standards), it's only fair that people enter only if they actually want one and are willing to pay for it if they get drawn.

Yep, raffle will be free to enter. Constantine makes a good point as well, please only enter if you're prepared to pay for the keyboard, as failure to pay will lower your odds in future raffles.

Offline brizzzle

• ipee9932cd
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 24 March 2020, 22:41:36 »
Hi everyone,

- Nathan

excited to see the proto! this board's design is refreshing to see.

Offline endjy

« Reply #290 on: Wed, 25 March 2020, 04:31:58 »
I want this one sooooooooo bad

Offline myxophobia

« Reply #291 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 02:31:26 »
Can't wait for this keyboard, been looking for a 75% since I missed out on the satis75  :(.

Offline FancyFootwork

« Reply #292 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:29:17 »

Yep, raffle will be free to enter. Constantine makes a good point as well, please only enter if you're prepared to pay for the keyboard, as failure to pay will lower your odds in future raffles.

Thanks. Paying won't be an issue, I was just curious how the raffle worked. I was actually hoping the raffle would require a fee so only more serious buyers would join. Look forward to entering. :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:31:08 by FancyFootwork »

Offline f1

« Reply #293 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 14:23:39 »
Given the complexity and the intricacies involved in making such a beautiful piece of art I am hoping there will be a QC check to match. This might result in a few B-stock pieces to be released later for the unlucky souls who weren’t picked for the A-stock raffle.

Thank you for bringing this into my life Nathan  :-*

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 15:46:37 »
Given the complexity and the intricacies involved in making such a beautiful piece of art I am hoping there will be a QC check to match. This might result in a few B-stock pieces to be released later for the unlucky souls who weren’t picked for the A-stock raffle.

Thank you for bringing this into my life Nathan  :-*

Exactly, given the price point and technology behind the board, QC will be taken very seriously and it's inevitable there will be B-stock. However, I haven't even begun to consider what I will do with those boards.

Offline f1

« Reply #295 on: Fri, 27 March 2020, 23:15:59 »
Do let me know if it is going to be a Vickrey Auction for the B-stock, and I will do the same for my left kidney two weeks beforehand  :(

Offline keeboards

« Reply #296 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 01:14:35 »
I would also be down for a Vickrey auction for original "A-stock" kits if there are any remaining after the raffle. This is a beautiful design, and I would love to get one of these boards!

Offline NathanAlphaMan

« Reply #297 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 01:59:58 »
I would also be down for a Vickrey auction for original "A-stock" kits if there are any remaining after the raffle. This is a beautiful design, and I would love to get one of these boards!

Do let me know if it is going to be a Vickrey Auction for the B-stock, and I will do the same for my left kidney two weeks beforehand  :(

The Vickrey auction will be for A-stock. Still haven't thought about B-stock, but it will likely be raffled or FCFS.

Offline Jhonan

• Chicks love duck pics...
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 28 March 2020, 20:34:38 »
Haven't been around the old Geekhack in a while, so I just discovered this today.  Looks absolutely amazing, can't wait to try to get one!

Offline baobaozi

« Reply #299 on: Wed, 01 April 2020, 20:42:04 »
Beautiful!