Author Topic: Anyone experienced with dying PBT with Dylon? (Bahama Blue and Flamingo Pink)  (Read 3868 times)

Offline P3TC0CK

I'm looking to dye some PBT caps I have and make my own ghetto Miami keycaps. Dylon's Bahama Blue and Flamingo pink dyes seem like they'd be the best choice for getting a similar look. I've some decent results on DT but wanted to know if anyone here had some tips or experience with either color or just dylon dyes in general.

Edit: Looks like those are just fabric dyes, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to use them like the multipurpose colors that Dylon sells. Closest I can see in the multipurpose would be kingfisher and possibly a mix of one of their reds and pink?

Edit 2: I'm checking out Rit colors now. According to the friendly Rit rep I talked to, Rit changed their formula and now their original formula is under their "proline" of colors.

The link to the professional line is here and what I'd probably have to do is use Neon Pink and then mix Blue Green from their mixing guide. Considering Rit doesn't have a distributor internationally, I'll probably end my quest here unless I find their proline in the UAE.

The proline might be a good next step for anyone looking at dying their keycaps though, maybe it'll give a better effect than the regular dye which seems to be splotchy sometimes.

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 11:34:48 by P3TC0CK »
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 12:34:20 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:17:30 by esoomenona »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Damn son, that's pricey for dye, especially since you don't know if it will work.  Have you looked at iDye Poly?  It gets fantastic results and, from my experience, will even dye ABS.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Fair warning if you are dying dyesubbed legends.  All the examples I have seen the legends get kind of fuzzy.  Not sure if that was a result of they dye, hot water, or what.  Just an observation I wanted to make sure you was aware of.  Dying double shots will not have this effect.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Fair warning if you are dying dyesubbed legends.  All the examples I have seen the legends get kind of fuzzy.  Not sure if that was a result of they dye, hot water, or what.  Just an observation I wanted to make sure you was aware of.  Dying double shots will not have this effect.

Still pretty damn sharp on the ones I did with iDye Poly.  It could be because you don't need to leave it in for an hour or so to get a good color.

Offline P3TC0CK

Damn son, that's pricey for dye, especially since you don't know if it will work.  Have you looked at iDye Poly?  It gets fantastic results and, from my experience, will even dye ABS.

Will they Dye PBT? I wouldn't mind trying it and I'll see if they're available in Dubai, but the biggest obstacle for this project will be just availability of products.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun
1. a small valve or faucet, as for draining off excess or waste material from the cylinder of a steam engine or an internal-combustion engine.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
It dyes it easily and quickly.  I get it for $2.50 +tax a pouch locally.  If you wa.t to import some, hit me up and we can make it work.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
I'm looking to dye some PBT caps I have and make my own ghetto Miami keycaps. Dylon's Bahama Blue and Flamingo pink dyes seem like they'd be the best choice for getting a similar look. I've some decent results on DT but wanted to know if anyone here had some tips or experience with either color or just dylon dyes in general.

Edit: Looks like those are just fabric dyes, so I'm not sure if I'd be able to use them like the multipurpose colors that Dylon sells. Closest I can see in the multipurpose would be kingfisher and possibly a mix of one of their reds and pink?

Edit 2: I'm checking out Rit colors now. According to the friendly Rit rep I talked to, Rit changed their formula and now their original formula is under their "proline" of colors.

The link to the professional line is here and what I'd probably have to do is use Neon Pink and then mix Blue Green from their mixing guide. Considering Rit doesn't have a distributor internationally, I'll probably end my quest here unless I find their proline in the UAE.

The proline might be a good next step for anyone looking at dying their keycaps though, maybe it'll give a better effect than the regular dye which seems to be splotchy sometimes.

ME 

I have success with Dylon. Just sold a couple sets, one to Henz and the other to Moemoe666. Moemoe666 is happy with his; Henz's is still en route.

However I have never tried the two color schemes you mentioned.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline P3TC0CK

ME 

I have success with Dylon. Just sold a couple sets, one to Henz and the other to Moemoe666. Moemoe666 is happy with his; Henz's is still en route.

However I have never tried the two color schemes you mentioned.

Was this using the standard Dylon Fabric dyes or the multipurpose dyes? The customer Rep told me only the Dylon multipurpose and industrial dyes will work.
petcock
[pet-kok] 
noun