Author Topic: [GB] GRAY STUDIO- HB85(Finished)  (Read 54194 times)

Offline mxgian99

Re: [GB] GRAY STUDIO- HB85(all send to zf)
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 01 February 2019, 12:14:09 »
where can you see the firmware version?   the only thing i can see is on the righthand side, mine says keymap ver: 140513

where did you find the firmware?  whats the date?

edit: nvm, i see now you can get to it from the options tab, mine is 1.2.3 so old as well...
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 February 2019, 13:31:46 by mxgian99 »

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #151 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 05:07:11 »
The latest build I've found, from October 2017 (version 1.4.0) is here:

https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases

I've already flashed this to my Taobao VE.A. clone and it actually solved a random led flicker issue with the board. I'm tempted to flash it to the HB85...

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 13:29:18 »

I've already flashed this to my Taobao VE.A. clone and it actually solved a random led flicker issue with the board. I'm tempted to flash it to the HB85...

Nice! Hopefully more ps2avrU support in qmk

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 02 February 2019, 16:21:25 »

yeah i think thats the latest one i found too.  but i have not flashed with it yet.   i've been investigating whether this will work with QMK and i think its doable, i'm still coding it so we'll see if i can get it working with QMK in the end.  i think bootmapper is fine, but i'm not happy that its so old and that winkeyless are closed now.

Offline DoCallMeKing

« Reply #154 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 13:08:00 »
Is it possible for someone with the board to post the hex and or the json file for the stt layout?
I was able to acquire a board but when using tweezers it appears some keys aren’t where I’d expect them to be.
I’ve never used bootmapper so I’m just wondering how to proceed without destroying the pcb. Haha. Thanks a lot.

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #155 on: Sun, 03 February 2019, 13:47:11 »
good job getting one!  i noticed on mine that the key assignments were not quite right either.  how close is your keymap now?  screenshot of bootmapper?   

the trick with this PCB is that the matrix is not in order, it starts in the middle of the keyboard and wraps around for each (physical) row, so the easiest way to reassign is to find a known key on your map and then count forward or backwards and re-assign the key. 

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #156 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 09:15:32 »

yeah i think thats the latest one i found too.  but i have not flashed with it yet.   i've been investigating whether this will work with QMK and i think its doable, i'm still coding it so we'll see if i can get it working with QMK in the end.  i think bootmapper is fine, but i'm not happy that its so old and that winkeyless are closed now.

i flashed it just now, everything seems to be working fine, no side-effects that I could detect so far...

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 09:16:35 »
good job getting one!  i noticed on mine that the key assignments were not quite right either.  how close is your keymap now?  screenshot of bootmapper?   

the trick with this PCB is that the matrix is not in order, it starts in the middle of the keyboard and wraps around for each (physical) row, so the easiest way to reassign is to find a known key on your map and then count forward or backwards and re-assign the key.

Yeah mine were also all over the place, especially the modifier row, I have a proper hex file if anyone wants it.

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 14:33:12 »
With SP G20 Semiotics:

« Last Edit: Mon, 04 February 2019, 17:00:06 by tchalikias »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 21:21:14 »
With SP G20 Semiotics:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This set is amazing!

Offline sleepybrett

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 22:06:13 »
I love this set, but man is g20 UNCOMFORTABLE.

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #161 on: Mon, 04 February 2019, 23:58:29 »
I love this set, but man is g20 UNCOMFORTABLE.

It's not the most comfortable typing experience, that's true. I'll have to do some more typing with it to decide if I'm keeping it on this board or not. I've also got Nuclear Data coming in the mail, so perhaps I'll switch to that.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 05 February 2019, 22:40:39 »
Interested if anyone is considering selling, please PM me. Thanks.

Offline DoCallMeKing

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 06:33:37 »
Just finished pic. Will take a better glamour shot at another time.
Awesome board.

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 12:54:25 »
Beautiful!

Seeing the various other color combinations, I wish there was a way to buy more parts to play around with.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #165 on: Wed, 06 February 2019, 13:06:24 »
still want to see something like this in a 60% :)

Offline rooski15

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 09:01:49 »
If anyone has an ASTT they're interested in selling, shoot me a PM. :)

Offline tchalikias

« Reply #167 on: Sat, 09 February 2019, 21:47:53 »
The board with SA Nuclear Data:

Offline Aox

« Reply #168 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 10:08:10 »
Anyone else still waiting on shipping invoice?  I ordered a red/black, and haven't heard anything yet. 

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #169 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 13:06:22 »

Show Image

And two pads? haha

Offline Capsy

« Reply #170 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 13:17:32 »

Show Image

Dear lord that's beautiful.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 20 February 2019, 15:23:27 »
Has anyone done the work to port this to QMK?

I'm going to start working on one, but I figured I should check here first.

Cheers!

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #172 on: Thu, 21 February 2019, 18:53:29 »
yes, i've got a PCB loaded and a map working thru QMK, RGB strip works, i have not done the LEDs yet.  its in my private repo because i want to check with potter if this is something he wants out there.  i wrote it just for personal use at the moment. 

if you want to get it going i can give you the PIN OUTS and and the matrix definitions.  PM me here and we can hash it out over discord.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 15:14:46 »
Here's my new build, I wanted to keep it simple and let the case speak for itself without excessive distraction.

213586-0

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #174 on: Sat, 23 February 2019, 19:31:19 »
Also, here is a typing test if anyone is interested. Tealios v2 lubed with 3204, with spring swap (Sprit v1.2 progressive 72g).

Zeal clear stabs lubed with super lube and bandaid mod (in hindsight I probably wouldn't bandaid mod these again as it muffles the shorter stabbed keys, like Backspace, more than I'd like).

GMK WoB keycaps. Multiple layers of shelf liner inside. Typing test directly on a mahogany desk, with the rubber feet installed.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #175 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 01:21:28 »
Hey folks,

Bit of a conundrum here, hoping you can help me troubleshoot this one.

Tested the PCB, all working. Soldered and the RGB LEDs come on just fine. After a while, the RGB LEDs turn off, though the keyboard is still working and PC still on.

Unplug and plug it back in, and only the first RGB LED comes on. The first led remains bright white despite any RGB settings. Checking it out and comparing against my spare PCB, I can confirm that it isn't working properly (spare is working fine). The solder job is clean, so I was surprised the LEDs didn't power on.

My question is whether this is likely a trace issue, processor issue, or a faulty LED.
Given that nothing I do with the RGB settings affects the display of the LEDs, I am inclined to think that the control signal isn't arriving at the LEDs.

Anyone have any insight?

Cheers!
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 03:17:39 by rooski15 »

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #176 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 08:45:20 »
also possible that one of the LEDs are burned out.  typically these RGB LEDS are in a chain and if 1 goes out the rest in the line will go out.  i'm not 100% sure how the signal passes down the chain, but my first step would be to take a multimeter and see if the signal or voltage stops at some point in the chain.   go LED by LED and see if you get a signal and then see if it drops out.

someone else on discord mentioned that they burned out their LEDs by static, so they are quite sensitive.    i just soldered 24 of these for another board over the weekend, and even being super careful i burned out 3-4 of them so they are not very tough to heat or static....

Offline rooski15

« Reply #177 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 11:41:07 »
also possible that one of the LEDs are burned out.  typically these RGB LEDS are in a chain and if 1 goes out the rest in the line will go out.  i'm not 100% sure how the signal passes down the chain, but my first step would be to take a multimeter and see if the signal or voltage stops at some point in the chain.   go LED by LED and see if you get a signal and then see if it drops out.

someone else on discord mentioned that they burned out their LEDs by static, so they are quite sensitive.    i just soldered 24 of these for another board over the weekend, and even being super careful i burned out 3-4 of them so they are not very tough to heat or static....

Thanks for the idea - I will definitely stick a meter on them and see what I get out of it. I have a string of LEDs that I can plug into the VOG terminals and test that way as well.

Thanks for the tip!

Offline rooski15

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 14:02:59 »
I started to address the LED issue I am having this morning, and am relatively confident that I've proven the issue to be control signal. That said, I'm hoping you might see if you can see a flaw in my testing.

First off, I tested the continuity and voltage across each of the LEDs. It appears as though the first LED DI-DO has somewhere in the neighborhood of .7-.9v, fluctuating. Every LED down stream from it has no voltage across DI-DO. VCC is coming in at 5v for all of them.

Secondarily, I have a spare string of WS2812b LEDs that I temporarily landed on the PCB to confirm.
I landed the voltage / ground on the V/G and landed the DIN to the DIN pad on the first LED. No luck. Wiring it up the same way to my spare PCB resulted in RGB.

It leads me to believe that the issue is control signal, but perhaps it is the first LED? Considering desoldering and just using the spare PCB, but I'd really prefer to fix this PCB.

Cheers!

Edit: Opted for a desolder and just started using my second PCB so I can enjoy this board while i troubleshoot the RGB on my new backup PCB. Thanks all for the help.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 February 2019, 18:24:41 by rooski15 »

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #179 on: Mon, 25 February 2019, 14:38:04 »
Has anyone got a space HB85 PCB they'd be willing to part with? PM me if so, thanks.

Offline rooski15

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 27 February 2019, 13:21:03 »

Flashed mine to 1.4.0 and it appears to be working just fine. For what its worth.

Offline Aox

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 28 February 2019, 09:11:44 »
I'm still waiting for ZF to figure out my damn order...  This sucks.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 02 March 2019, 16:24:17 »
Also, here is a typing test if anyone is interested. Tealios v2 lubed with 3204, with spring swap (Sprit v1.2 progressive 72g).

Zeal clear stabs lubed with super lube and bandaid mod (in hindsight I probably wouldn't bandaid mod these again as it muffles the shorter stabbed keys, like Backspace, more than I'd like).

GMK WoB keycaps. Multiple layers of shelf liner inside. Typing test directly on a mahogany desk, with the rubber feet installed.

Nice!!

Offline Aox

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 19:26:34 »
Paypal dispute opened with ZFrontier.  Still haven't received shipping invoice or my board. 

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:18:46 »
Paypal dispute opened with ZFrontier.  Still haven't received shipping invoice or my board.

It's crazy Zfrontier has not got back to you. Potter told me he has asked ZF about whether there is anything he needs to be aware of and received no reply.

Offline japanesehorrorwriter

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 01:06:42 »

One day, they really need to make this a lot easier on us - - -

Which firmware is it? There's a bunch in the folders.

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 01:07:22 »

Yeah mine were also all over the place, especially the modifier row, I have a proper hex file if anyone wants it.

Yes please post it.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #187 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 01:29:23 »

We have started to transition to qmk and I will be providing instructions on flashing firmware for future gray qmk boards.

Also get in the discord for peer support :)

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 02:45:44 »
Hey oldcat! thanks. will hop onto discord for those developments but in the meantime, does anyone know which fw to flash until that is all sorted out?  or is the answer likely in the discord scroll?

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 10:58:21 »
so there are a few of us on discord doing unofficial support for this kit.  did your PCB not come with a firmware?  i used the firmware from here, https://github.com/showjean/ps2avrU/releases/tag/V1.4.0

it also has to bootmapper gui to configure your keys. 

QMK does not run natively on this board, though some of us have modified it to work (by using ps2avrgb inside of QMK), but its not publicly shared atm.    not sure if this particular board will ever get QMK natively, i think oldcat is talking about boards moving forward, like if there is a R2 of HB85 then it could be QMK native support. 

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:50:54 »
I'm actually loaning out my HB85 this weekend to mechmerlin to port to QMK - which he has very kindly offered to do - so that might be helpful to folks!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 11:51:21 »
I'm actually loaning out my HB85 this weekend to mechmerlin to port to QMK, so that might be helpful to folks!

Wow, really nice of you and merlin!
Amazing.

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #192 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 12:54:24 »
I'm actually loaning out my HB85 this weekend to mechmerlin to port to QMK - which he has very kindly offered to do - so that might be helpful to folks!

you shouldve asked me, i already have it working, but good to see how merlin would do it differently.  if he wants to save time i already have the pinout defined :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 06 March 2019, 13:36:59 »

you shouldve asked me, i already have it working, but good to see how merlin would do it differently.  if he wants to save time i already have the pinout defined :)

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Aox

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 07 March 2019, 18:36:22 »
Potter is helping me out with my HB85 issues.  No response from ZFrontier on the paypal dispute, going to get my money back and maybe have Potter help me acquire one from a different route.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 09 March 2019, 01:25:19 »
Potter is helping me out with my HB85 issues.  No response from ZFrontier on the paypal dispute, going to get my money back and maybe have Potter help me acquire one from a different route.

Hope your issue gets resolved soon.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #196 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 20:41:03 »
odd question what are the GOV holes for? also would be interested in getting this board over to qmk as i have never touched bootmapper

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #197 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 22:07:33 »
odd question what are the GOV holes for? also would be interested in getting this board over to qmk as i have never touched bootmapper

Can test the power, and can also use them to connect to other light sources

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #198 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 22:09:12 »

Was just informed Mechmerlin is porting HB85 to QMK right now.

Offline Neodeus

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 12 March 2019, 23:55:17 »
I am kicking myself for missing this one... I really love the look of this board. Think it will ever get run again?