Author Topic: [IC] Ergodox C, a versatile Ergodox PCB  (Read 3209 times)

Offline hgoel89

[IC] Ergodox C, a versatile Ergodox PCB
« on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 12:08:53 »
Hello GH,
I have been working on an Ergodox PCB, that has a few features that are missing in current offerings. I am an Ergodox user, and really love it. The only thing I wanted was it to be truly wireless. So I modified the Ergodox PCB to support Blue-micro from u/jpconstantineau . I was happy with what I had, but wanted to do more. So I have made some more modification and now want to run an IC.

Main features
- Support for Alps Switch, Case files available for Alps only and MX Only switch plates.
- Supports Pro Micro, Proton C ( split WIP at QMK end), BlueMicro, NRF Micro.
- USB C with ESD Protection.
- No Extra IO extender chip, uses two MCUs connected over serial.
About Bluetooth support
- NRF Micro and Blue Micro both are supported to allow the keyboard to work in bluetooth mode.
- Both NRF Micro and Blue Micro will require assembly, and some extra hardware. Due to the nature of certification, I wont be able to provide these MCUs, and you will have to get them on your own.
- Both MCUs are based on Nordic Bluetooth module E73 and do not work over USB. So they will be Bluetooth only.

Blue-Micro is developed by  u/jpconstantineau
Nrf micro is developed by u/iamjoric

PCB is based off the original PCB from from Ergodox-io
Case is based off the Acrylic case  from Lister

Link to IC

Update 1: 1u, 1.5u outer column is updated on the pcb, will be reflected in next IC

Currently working on the OG Ergodox Mounting holes to make it more compatible with existing case, but MCU position may not allow use of old cases still.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 May 2019, 06:23:16 by hgoel89 »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] Ergodox C, a versatile Ergodox PCB
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 12:24:03 »
Depending on cost, is be interested.

Is the Bluetooth version completely wireless, or is there a USB fallback option?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 13:39:56 »
I find it quite a bit cheeky, even rude, to call this "a versatile PCB" when you have in fact removed a whole lot that made the original PCB versatile:

* You have removed the original holes for standoffs, which would be needed for mounting in certain cases, such e.g. those from FalbaTech.
* You have removed PCB-mounted stabilisers and in-switch diode support which makes the keyboard plate-mount only.
* You have removed the alternative switch position for 1×1 keys on the outer columns, which means that people have to get ErgoDox-specific keycap kits for this.
... and all of these changes were completely unnecessary. It must have only caused you effort when you could have just left it alone.
And for what? So that your PCB would fit only inside the cases you sell in this IC?

Offline hgoel89

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:02:36 »

Is the Bluetooth version completely wireless, or is there a USB fallback option?

So my target is 25usd for the upper limit.

It is truly wireless, USB is for only charging the battery

Offline hgoel89

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:12:20 »
I find it quite a bit cheeky, even rude, to call this "a versatile PCB" when you have in fact removed a whole lot that made the original PCB versatile:

* You have removed the original holes for standoffs, which would be needed for mounting in certain cases, such e.g. those from FalbaTech.
* You have removed PCB-mounted stabilisers and in-switch diode support which makes the keyboard plate-mount only.
* You have removed the alternative switch position for 1×1 keys on the outer columns, which means that people have to get ErgoDox-specific keycap kits for this.
... and all of these changes were completely unnecessary. It must have only caused you effort when you could have just left it alone.
And for what? So that your PCB would fit only inside the cases you sell in this IC?

Hello.
Thank you for detailed feedback. I will try to incorporate what all is possible for me.
The PCB is based off the ergodox-io pcb, and it does not have the mounting holes. I tried to find the original pcb files, but they are not to be found.

And the 1x1 key is a real issue, thanks for pointing it out. I use both my ergodox in 1.25 config

I personally don't think 2u stabs are needed due to the rotation of the key.

In switch diode are missing because there is no footprint available for it with hybrid Mx-Alps switch. And they can be soldered on the back of the pcb to get clearance.

Its versatile because it's upto the user to build it wired or wireless.

Due to size of bluemicro and proton c (full size) existing cases were incompatible anyways.
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 May 2019, 14:42:04 by hgoel89 »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 15:30:10 »

What are you including for $25? The PCB, components, and case?! Or is it just the bare PCBs?

Offline hgoel89

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 21:01:00 »

What are you including for $25? The PCB, components, and case?! Or is it just the bare PCBs?

Plan is to include PCB, Diodes and USB-C port. But again its my plan at this stage. It is subject to change as Shipping will depend on where we are at. And my first priority is to have 25usd shipped world wide.

Offline joric

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 May 2019, 16:54:33 »
I need to point out that NRF Micro (correct spelling nRFMicro) indeed WORKS with USB (microusb, type-c and and i2c extender cables) as a wired keyboard.

Offline juliandoucette

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 May 2019, 14:55:40 »
Please excuse my naivety, I'm sortof new.

I use two Ergodox EZ every day and would like to make them bluetooth/wireless. If I could simply unscrew them and replace their PCBs with yours to do that then I would be very interested.