Author Topic: Diagnosing matrix issues on FaceW PCB, possibly broken MCU?  (Read 6774 times)

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
Diagnosing matrix issues on FaceW PCB, possibly broken MCU?
« on: Thu, 13 June 2019, 17:48:40 »
Hi all! It's been a while.

I've had this FaceW PCB since the original group buy. A few years ago it started having weird matrix issues and I swapped to another PCB. Tossed it off to the side and completely forgot about it. A few days ago I rediscovered it and have been trying to figure out why it's not working correctly.

Running stock firmware (ps2avrU) works... okay. Until you press a key, and the entire matrix starts glitching out.

After flashing QMK and spending almost an entire day on it, it seems that the first key in the first 6 rows (K00-K50) is being held down as soon as the keyboard initializes. Pressing those keys with another attached keyboard seems to "unstick" them, except for the key belonging to K50. QMK doesn't appear to support HID debugging on atmega32a/VUSB boards, so unfortunately can't do much else.

The PCB looks fine, no damaged traces as far as I can see. I rinsed off the entire PCB with isopropyl alcohol hoping to see something I maybe missed, but it's pretty much perfect. All diodes/resistors/etc are intact. Is this sign of a broken microcontroller? I'm tempted to buy a new atmega32a and swapping it out, but I'm not sure if something else could be causing these issues.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 June 2019, 17:53:35 by Defying »

Offline Legonut

Re: Diagnosing matrix issues on FaceW PCB, possibly broken MCU?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 July 2019, 10:56:42 »
It's tough to measure resistance between I/O pins at the MCU are connected. Typically I find it's about 22mOhms between pins, are there any that have a much lower resistance?