Author Topic: [IC] DCS Delftware - GB 1-30 April 2021 - 29/03 update: Pricing + RAMA  (Read 53471 times)

Offline Zephyraeon

DCS Delftware
Based on porcelain art

Delftware is a set based on old porcelain artwork, painted by hand, the font and sublegends have all been chosen in order to make a set that looks refined but a little bit imperfect. I picked the theme a) because porcelain stuff is really cool if you think about the effort that goes into making it, and b) because blue and white are super awesome colours which look great together (see every other blue and white keycap set ever made). The sublegends and novelties were all designed being heavily based on actual porcelain artwork, in order to fit the theme better.

This set will run in dye-sublimated PBT in DCS profile by Signature Plastics (SP) to allow for many unique sublegends without increased tooling cost. As the set will be run by SP the typeface has been updated from what was proposed in the previous renders to Gorton - see images of the samples below. All renders will have been updated with a similar (but not identical) font to reflect this.

Dedicated discord channels to discuss the set here, courtesy of NZ streamer Epsilon Keyboards.

Keycap samples and colours

More
The base kit and dye-sub PBT are using SP's default PBT colour WAN. The dye-sub legends in the sample above closely match Pantone 2726C. Based on responses from the IC form this will be the final blue.

Kits:
Disclaimer: Renders + fonts used are a representation of the final product but are not 100% accurate due to limitations. Renders are done with Cherry profile caps, with a similar but not identical font. Font during production will be Gorton as used for DCS Red Alert and DCS Yuri.

Base kit | $140USD | 250 MOQ

Some slight adjustments to this kit were made but it should still support almost all TKL, 75%, 65%, 60% and alice boards, with some 40% and ortho boards. UK-ISO was added. 2-Mar unpdate: Minivan support was added, some ortho keys removed to allow for this. Split spacebars are not convex.

Numpad kit | $34USD | 100 MOQ

Removed the accent coloured modifiers with only accent Return key kept.

Novelties kit | $39USD | 100 MOQ

Deskmats - $17USD each
We have three deskmat designs for Delftware:

Pattern

Inverse Pattern

Place Setting

RAMA cap | $56USD | 100 MOQ
PVD Brass keycap in DCS R1 profile

Regional proxies:

Board renders:
More
Bean - Kingk22

Silver En Dash - Finderworks

PC Tengu - Finderworks

Navy Constellation - AEboards

What's left to do?
  • Start the GB!

Big thank you to all that have helped,  Kingk22 (again) for renders and emotional support, Agilr for feedback on the design and colour matching, Would for advice on typography and fonts, Gok for advice on designing a dyesub keycap set and general design tips, Epsilon for general support and letting me piggyback off your discord channel, Peaches for emotional support, and the Finder Works and NZ discord groups and IC form fillers for general feedback. Couldn't have done it without you guys <3

Discord here
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 April 2021, 15:18:37 by Zephyraeon »

Offline would?

• Formerly wouldworks
    • Finder Works
Re: [IC] PBT(?) Delftware
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:05:00 »
Nice one Zeph, big fan of this kit breakdown. Really like the little detail sublegends too!

Offline 002 DC

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:13:26 »
A E S T H E T I C

Offline Abec13

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:45:13 »
FORTIES. IN. BASE. LEEEGOOO

Talk it up with Infinikey.
 Recent got my 40s in from there and it's lookin' good.
45-ATS | Adelie | Gentoo | Volcano 660 | Think 6.5 v2 | SKOG | 7V | Hello M0110
[/url]

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 16:47:56 »
My late mother loved colors relative to her interior decorating and would have adored custom keysets and boards. Hard to say what would've been endgame for her, but this mightve been it.

Offline ab042896

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:32:47 »
Sub legends would be amazing, def interested

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:38:20 »
This is it.

Was a pleasure working with you, and to see what it has become with the unique subs really defines the set for me and makes it something I have to get. :eek:

Offline Quinella

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 18:53:37 »
Absolutely gorgeous

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 20:15:32 »
Looks great. Kind of a big fan of functional sublegends though. Will have to see more renders.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline belgium_waffles

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 20:26:18 »
very naise

Offline tunadesu

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 20:26:30 »
Nice inspiration. I'm a fan of black wedgewood jasperware.  :thumb:

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 27 January 2020, 22:31:16 »

stop using discordcdn images please for the love of everything sacred

Offline ironchefmichi

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 28 January 2020, 00:53:14 »
i like this. could be nice if there's another lighter blue accent color to show the nuances in the blues. i like the idea of icon sublegends :thumb:

Offline niakulah

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 10:05:19 »
Definitely interested

Offline Tyson

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 10:08:02 »
Show Image

You taught me to always move my pics to a imgur album!  hahaha

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 12:42:33 »
Show Image

You taught me to always move my pics to a imgur album!  hahaha

and i appreciates you for it.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 17:37:49 »
I'm 100% in for at least two sets.  I was contemplating learning about GBs this year and trying to run "gmk blue danube" because it's my mom's favorite china.  This removes any amount of effort I have to invest :)

My only thoughts are the blue looks wrong.  I'm using a pixelbook chromebook so maybe the color reproduction of the screen is poor.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 17:40:25 »
How is this different from Classic Blue?  Ever so slightly brighter shade of blue and white mods? 
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 January 2020, 17:51:37 by pixelpusher »

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 17:54:34 »
How is this different from Classic Blue?  Ever so slightly brighter shade of blue and white mods?

yes

Offline Quinella

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 20:04:06 »

looks closer to gmk rudy to me

Offline Ahngel

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 22:51:50 »

really? i see more demon sword

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 04:50:24 »

really? i see more demon sword

let's be real, it's just a blue olivia clone

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 04:55:56 »
Compatibility is hard to assess without knowing which PBT manufacturer you're going for (EPBT, Infinikey?), but I like where you're going with this.

If you're going for EPBT then personally I'd ask for an international kit so I could have proper UK legends - child kits essentially have a MOQ of 1 for EPBT (base has MOQ of 200).

If you're going for Infinikey then TKC already has kits in place that designers have to use (though they can add others, as long as it's something TKC is willing to buy out - child kits have a MOQ of 300 for Infinikey, making them basically impossible without help).

The colourway here is really nice, and as a die-hard PBT fan, I'd be interested in picking this up.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 30 January 2020, 20:56:02 »
I feel like this may benefit from sublegends or something similar, as a way of adding more blue to the set without overpowering. Maybe dutch sublegends if that's a thing.

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 13:56:21 »
Show Image

The existing renders are a bit old and need some tweaks, I'll make sure to move everything to imgur when I get new renders. Thanks for pointing this out.

I feel like this may benefit from sublegends or something similar, as a way of adding more blue to the set without overpowering. Maybe dutch sublegends if that's a thing.

The idea of the set was to design unique sublegends for every key, the first render was an example of the first three sublegends I designed. I've got another ~40 unique sublegends that I'm in the process of creating. I'm going to get new renders done with unique sublegends on all alphas, and with limited sublegends (like with CRP tulip for example) based on feedback from the IC.

I'm 100% in for at least two sets.  I was contemplating learning about GBs this year and trying to run "gmk blue danube" because it's my mom's favorite china.  This removes any amount of effort I have to invest :)

My only thoughts are the blue looks wrong.  I'm using a pixelbook chromebook so maybe the color reproduction of the screen is poor.

These colours are not final. I was originally looking to design a GMK set based on Mercy from Overwatch but then Classic Blue was announced and I decided to find new inspiration. I've already looked at a RAL colour deck and couldn't find a blue I was happy with, so I've ordered a pantone colour deck and will find some new colour options for the refreshed renders. The white will be different too - these renders have WS1 white but PBT white is closer in colour to WS2.

If you're going for EPBT then personally I'd ask for an international kit so I could have proper UK legends - child kits essentially have a MOQ of 1 for EPBT (base has MOQ of 200).

If you're going for Infinikey then TKC already has kits in place that designers have to use (though they can add others, as long as it's something TKC is willing to buy out - child kits have a MOQ of 300 for Infinikey, making them basically impossible without help).

Wasn't aware of the different MOQ for each - thanks for the info. If I go with ePBT an international kit would be on the cards. Maybe I could also add a colevrak+ kit :)

Also as another note, Agilr pointed out my 40s compatibility was lacking so I'll be adding the following keys to the base kit (to be reflected in new renders):
  • R2 1u Tab
  • R3 1u Esc
  • R2 1u Enter

This is making the base kit fairly bloated - if the pricing for base turns out being too high, I'll create a 40s kit instead of having it in base.

Novelties kit also incoming. Stay tuned! And thank you to everyone that's filled out the IC form, your suggestions have been very helpful :)

Offline niakulah

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 03:15:42 »
Yes, plus PBT.

Offline katasup

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 13:48:11 »
Just registered to say it's beautiful one. I love that Russian style https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gzhel, so hope to see something similar.
Looking forward to see final renders.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 11 February 2020, 00:18:21 »
I'd buy just those QWE accent keys in GMK, in the same colors as the Classic Blue set that will run soon.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Momo.Kafka

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 08:03:23 »
Yes, b1g fan of your work !

+1 for PBT set

Keeen
Don't mess with me, I am not all there

Offline Sshimosawa

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 12 February 2020, 19:06:33 »
Love this.

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 04:03:13 »
Small update - will have updated kit renders in the next week or two. I'm waiting on my pantone deck (ETA 24 Feb) to arrive to settle on a final blue. Pantone 293C has been used for the renders so far, will see how it looks in person and try a few colours. I've also updated the images in the first post to use imgur instead of copying the link straight from Discord.

I've finished designing 27 unique sublegends. In order to fill all 47 alpha keys I'll be reusing/flipping/rotating some of these. Here's a little spoiler of what's to come:

Novelties kit is coming! Thanks everyone for your novelty ideas. Based on the suggestions I've received and some research, I have a kit planned which will be added to the main post when the rest of the renders are refreshed.

I'll also be adding an alphas kit where only some keys have sublegends to give everyone a choice of how busy they want their keycaps to look.

Offline zekth

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 04:59:42 »
Isn't R3 pipe missing on the ISO base kit for full ISO support?

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 05:52:45 »
The kit currently uses partial ISO UK support - having both as pipe would be an example of ISO US support (the r4 key can also be <>).

The partial ISO UK support, while not an official ISO standard by any means, is a very common compromise in the community.

An article covering this well was written by depletedvespene.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:12:05 by eskimojo »

Offline ab042896

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 17:00:47 »
From what it looks like, you nailed it with these sublegends, beautiful!

Offline Momo.Kafka

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 13 February 2020, 22:35:44 »
 :thumb:

Just elegant and beautiful !

So unique
Don't mess with me, I am not all there

Offline zekth

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 04:43:39 »
The kit currently uses partial ISO UK support - having both as pipe would be an example of ISO US support (the r4 key can also be <>).

The partial ISO UK support, while not an official ISO standard by any means, is a very common compromise in the community.

Kinda agree, but weird compromise to see no R3 pipe and a 1U tab in the base kit.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 04:46:43 »

Kinda agree, but weird compromise to see no R3 pipe and a 1U tab in the base kit.
Not really - if the goal is physical coverage, then the base already covers ISO. The 1u tab is for ortho coverage.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 05:25:23 »
I'd buy just those QWE accent keys in GMK, in the same colors as the Classic Blue set that will run soon.

this! interested if it was GMK (V4 color) ;)
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 07:20:52 »
I kinda dig this aesthetic, I remember my Nana & Great Aunt used to collect the **** out of fine China that had that white & blue look. I think it's gonna have to be a PBT set with the custom sublegends, I mean you could go ABS doubleshot, but the MOQ & pricing would probably be way through the roof. Anyways I'll be keeping an eye on this one as I need to get some more PBT sets with better coverage than the 117 key old school ePBT sets I have.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 10:19:44 »

Yup exactly, V4 GMK.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 12:37:24 »

I'm not an ISO user so I've used other light ISO compatibility kits to determine what keys to include. If you would like more ISO compat, please let me know what keys you'd like, and I'll see what I can do. Ultimately it comes down to kit pricing when I decide on a manufacturer.

Yup exactly, V4 GMK.

It's unlikely this will be made with doubleshot ABS due to the high costs of each sublegend, and even if it was I will not be running with V4 blue. The V4 blue is nowhere near the right blue for Delftware - I'll show some colour comparisons to pantones when I do my render update. If you're looking for an all white with V4 blue set, maybe ask the Classic Blue GB runner if they will add a second mod kit.

Offline niakulah

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:44:56 »
Small update - will have updated kit renders in the next week or two. I'm waiting on my pantone deck (ETA 24 Feb) to arrive to settle on a final blue. Pantone 293C has been used for the renders so far, will see how it looks in person and try a few colours. I've also updated the images in the first post to use imgur instead of copying the link straight from Discord.

I've finished designing 27 unique sublegends. In order to fill all 47 alpha keys I'll be reusing/flipping/rotating some of these. Here's a little spoiler of what's to come:

Show Image

Novelties kit is coming! Thanks everyone for your novelty ideas. Based on the suggestions I've received and some research, I have a kit planned which will be added to the main post when the rest of the renders are refreshed.

I'll also be adding an alphas kit where only some keys have sublegends to give everyone a choice of how busy they want their keycaps to look.

Since you already have 27 sublegends, I think an alphas kit or base with only the alphabets having sublegends would be nice. A more consistent look with all alphas having 2 legends and none with 3.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:48:54 »
PBT would be perfect for this in terms of cost, viability, durability, everything... — except — the smoother texture of ABS would, I think, be a better match for the theme you're going for here.

That said, PBT is still the better option.

Edit: By the way, you should move the R1 End and PgDn keys to the numpad kit, as those keys aren't useful whatsoever without a numpad (they can usually be found on 1800, CP, 96-key and similar layouts, above the numpad).
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 February 2020, 00:55:24 by constexpr »

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 01:49:25 »

Show Image

Just do that cool sublegends for Latin legends

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 22 February 2020, 01:50:46 »
this is a very creative idea and i like it a lot
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline niakulah

« Reply #45 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 00:26:53 »
Any updates on this?

Offline Zephyraeon

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 03:15:08 »
Any updates on this?

Sorry - got a bit busy IRL. I should have the updated kit renders posted this weekend, assuming all goes well. The pantone deck has arrived and I will be changing the blue - going to wait and see how the renders turn out to confirm this though. Thanks for your patience! :)

Offline niakulah

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 04:26:57 »
Any updates on this?

Sorry - got a bit busy IRL. I should have the updated kit renders posted this weekend, assuming all goes well. The pantone deck has arrived and I will be changing the blue - going to wait and see how the renders turn out to confirm this though. Thanks for your patience! :)

Excited to see them, thanks for replying!

Offline Quinella

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 04:50:16 »
Any updates on this?

You've gone above and beyond so far with the designs Zeph.

this is such an extremely gorgeous set its so hard to not pass on it

Offline yhs

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 04:51:02 »
Really digging it with the sub legends.

And considering my girlfriends fondness (and absurd collection of) fine china, I think she may actually not shake her head at this purchase!