Author Topic: Adding a Windows key to a 122-key Model F  (Read 6755 times)

Offline 1391406

Adding a Windows key to a 122-key Model F
« on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:56:11 »
I know you can program keys using Soarer's converter, but I'm curious if it's possible to add a Windows key to a 122-key Model F by dremeling off the part of the case between the CTRL & ALT keys and adding a spring and pivot plate to the barrel underneath that section? I'll likely NEVER do this, so it's not really something I'm considering, but I was just wondering if it's possible and would work?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Adding a Windows key to a 122-key Model F
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:49:03 »
I don't think that would work. There is a "secret key" left of "Z" if you use the small Left Shift.

My solution, since I never use F10 anyway, is to use that for Windows. It is not far from the natural location.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:54:06 »
On my F122, the key left to the Z was not secret at all and came with the <> key and with a small left ****.

But well, I never use the windows key but i have mapped it on one of the 10 F keys on the left. In fact, I use the F1-F12 on the top of the keyboard for the usual F keys and have remapped all the F1-F10 on the left to be used as different special keys, but I only really use 4 (escape, play/pause/vol_up/vol_down).
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 13:05:36 »
OK, right. The "secret keys" are what Model M users call them.

*-122s come that way, but I need a standard Left Shift because that is my "go to" shift.

LOVE  having the function keys on the left, and use them all the time. I keep the F1-F12 on top, unchanged, just because (and I do use F11 pretty often), and have re-mapped most of the top row for things like Escape and media keys.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 13:13:11 »
That's the beauty of remapping. We all have our preference and can fulfill them as long as the layout you have supports it!

Now for the space between ctrl and alt, it's not possible as far as I know, but I don't know that much. Still, since I know no IBM keyboard of that time or a few years later with a key between ctrl and alt, there's little to no chance they put one there "in case". So you probably have to use another key to remap for it. Personally I don't really use the right ctrl/alt so if you are like me you could use one of them as windows key. Of you could map it in a layer. I use the capslock as a function key and LOVE IT and I use it to have all my navigation keys on the ijkl region. If you try something like that you could plug 1 key around there to use as a media key when on a function layer. I like using the capslock key for fonction layer since I never use capslock and I don't have to lift my hands to use it, it's just right there and so very easy to use.

In the end, you have to determine how best you want to use your keyboard. We all use it differently to some extent. The beauty of it is that it's super easy to experiment. Just modify the .hex, load it, try it and keep it or try again!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline 1391406

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:11:38 »
I don't think that would work.

Why? I'm talking about removing part of the case with a dremel. Specifically, I'm referring to the area between CTRL & ALT, below the key to the left of Z. I assume there's a barrel beneath that part of the case? Do you know which area I'm referring to?

For the record, I've already mapped the F10 key on the left side of the keyboard to be the Windows key, but that's not the point.

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Igthorn

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:17:22 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37753.0

Looking at fohat's worklog, there is no barrel and half of the contacts look like they are missing.

http://i.imgur.com/5ufWd.jpg

The gold traces are there but the dark traces are missing from that particular spot.  It's the same with the contacts around the arrow keys.

Offline Parak

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:25:16 »
This is possible on unsavers and only on the right side with a full controller replacement, but nope, not on 122s.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 19:41:38 »
Thanks. That answers that.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:02:39 »
Dang it!  I had successfully stopped acquiring keyboards, but between last weekend's KeyCon (thanks everyone for coming!) and this thread, I realize that I need* to finish up with a 122-key Model F.

- Ron | samwisekoi

* Using a locally-accepted definition of the word "need".    :thumb:
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 20:56:03 »
Here is the back side.

Hard to understand why they obviously started but did not finish.