Author Topic: Starting keycap crafting  (Read 128612 times)

Offline Suembeaux

Re: Starting keycap crafting
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:21:35 »
Testing some things out

Show Image

If only I had a topre board.. Maybe I have a friend who is loaning me one.

Exciting stuff!

I know I already messaged you on reddit but I wanted to thank you again for these. They will be perfect for blind bags at my event. They also look great watching customers on my board at work.  :))

A bunch of stuff. Someone teach me how to properly solder.

/u/Shartastical

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #201 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:26:56 »
Testing some things out

Show Image

I take it you have an Alps board?  ;)

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #202 on: Tue, 31 May 2016, 22:41:58 »
Testing some things out

Show Image

Exciting stuff!

I know I already messaged you on reddit but I wanted to thank you again for these. They will be perfect for blind bags at my event. They also look great watching customers on my board at work.  :))

Show Image

Glad you like them! Still can't believe you wanted all those rejects
Testing some things out

Show Image

I take it you have an Alps board?  ;)

I had an alps board, same friend that's loaning me the hhkb bought it. I'll probably buy it back, those quiet clicks are nice. But I've already test fitted the alps keys and they work.

Offline GeneClackman

« Reply #203 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 02:37:43 »
I always was a SEGA kid. Having said that, I love this thread. As someone who loves crafting stuff and recently asked himself about the process of custom keycap making I loved the thread! You can really see the progress in every iteration. Thanks for sharing!! Please keep up what you're doing!!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 08:56:34 »
You never posted how you did the multi stems   :mad:

Did you follow the steps from the google doc or did you find a better process?

I neeeeed to know.

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:06:09 »
I always was a SEGA kid. Having said that, I love this thread. As someone who loves crafting stuff and recently asked himself about the process of custom keycap making I loved the thread! You can really see the progress in every iteration. Thanks for sharing!! Please keep up what you're doing!!

Thank you! I'll keep posting for sure. Problem is I'm over a small hump now, and just working on making enough product for a public sale, so nothing very interesting is going on.

I neeeeed to know.

Sorry! I was going to, then there were some issues with the multi stems that I had done. So I scratched them and moved on, and didn't have anything to post agin.

I'll see if I can get some photos of the topre setup I'm using.

These guys have a ways to go, so I"m not 100% sure they'll make it into R1.

I've also been pestering the **** out of eat_the_foot about how he does things and that has helped a lot.

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #206 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:06:51 »
Love this thread, love this progress.

Very cool!

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #207 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:23:44 »
ETF is definitely helpful. keep it up

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #208 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:27:07 »

Very cool!

Thank you so much! Glad you are enjoying it.

So far I've been very surprised at how helpful everyone is, its really pretty awesome when you think about it.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #209 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 10:33:05 »

Very cool!

So far I've been very surprised at how helpful everyone is, its really pretty awesome when you think about it.

Considering it is basically helping competition.
its just a really cool, self supporting community

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 12:52:28 »
Quakemz's HHKB came in the mail already today, and the caps fit! They are a little wobbly, but I'm not certain thats more wobbly than the other caps on the board, they all move when you wiggle them.

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 13:41:24 »

Very cool!

I wouldn't see it like that, even with all the knowledge there appears to be a lot of skill and luck involved in great sculpting etc.

I like the retro reference here, and the transition from rough to polished, something I'm trying to do myself.

I think though without a pressure pot, the failures may eventually beat me down. I'll end up buying one and the wife will inevitably divorce me for my keycap madness.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #212 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 13:43:00 »

Very cool!

I wouldn't see it like that, even with all the knowledge there appears to be a lot of skill and luck involved in great sculpting etc.

I like the retro reference here, and the transition from rough to polished, something I'm trying to do myself.

I think though without a pressure pot, the failures may eventually beat me down. I'll end up buying one and the wife will inevitably divorce me for my keycap madness.
I get what you mean.  Personally, bubbles aren't nearly as destructive for me as I have seen in others Cases. I'd say try before and if you need it, get it.

Sent from my local payphone

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 13:55:53 »
Very fast progress!

Thinking about modifying under the Topre caps?
Not sure if you can with the DSA one's since they're so low already but I think you could add some thickness under the Topre & bridge the stem to make it stronger :)

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #214 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 14:55:14 »

Very cool!

Its a balancing act for sure, my wife gets annoyed at times. I try to break up the work though, so sometimes I get most of the evening to work on caps/casting etc and other I don't spend any time casting. That way she gets time together when she wants it, and I still get to work on my hobby. Plus one can sculpt caps while watching tv, so that helps as well.

As for the pressure pot, if you can get one get one they are worth it from a casting perspective. I don't know how Moistgun does it, I would have quit already from frustration if I hadn't acquired one.
Very fast progress!

Not sure if you can with the DSA one's since they're so low already but I think you could add some thickness under the Topre & bridge the stem to make it stronger :)
Thank you!

I'm 100% certain I'll do something to make the stem more reinforced. I'm sure it'll be a stop gap, until I can spend enough time on it to really get something worth while, but we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

On that note, does anyone know how far the travel is on these switches? How deep do the little divots need to be in order for the key to function properly?

Very cool!

I get what you mean.  Personally, bubbles aren't nearly as destructive for me as I have seen in others Cases. I'd say try before and if you need it, get it.

I don't know how you do it man, more power to you for making quality caps sans pressure.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 14:58:11 »

Very cool!

Its a balancing act for sure, my wife gets annoyed at times. I try to break up the work though, so sometimes I get most of the evening to work on caps/casting etc and other I don't spend any time casting. That way she gets time together when she wants it, and I still get to work on my hobby. Plus one can sculpt caps while watching tv, so that helps as well.

As for the pressure pot, if you can get one get one they are worth it from a casting perspective. I don't know how Moistgun does it, I would have quit already from frustration if I hadn't acquired one.
Very fast progress!

Thank you!

I'm 100% certain I'll do something to make the stem more reinforced. I'm sure it'll be a stop gap, until I can spend enough time on it to really get something worth while, but we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

On that note, does anyone know how far the travel is on these switches? How deep do the little divots need to be in order for the key to function properly?

Very cool!

I don't know how you do it man, more power to you for making quality caps sans pressure.
Don't get me wrong.  They are leagues different in quality, I just noticed the variation in the destructiveness from.  Bubbles can be quite large

Offline Kemindo

• one world one promise
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 15:31:53 »

Thank you! I'll keep posting for sure. Problem is I'm over a small hump now, and just working on making enough product for a public sale, so nothing very interesting is going on.

I neeeeed to know.

Sorry! I was going to, then there were some issues with the multi stems that I had done. So I scratched them and moved on, and didn't have anything to post agin.

I'll see if I can get some photos of the topre setup I'm using.

Show Image

These guys have a ways to go, so I"m not 100% sure they'll make it into R1.

I've also been pestering the **** out of eat_the_foot about how he does things and that has helped a lot.

I look at ur caps and i saw some issues about : your silicone ( need to think about the plastic shrinkage ) , check ur air pipe , air pressure system . You had the awesome hobby anyway keep go on nd good luck
Peace and Service

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #217 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:30:26 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #218 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:37:49 »
Show Image

HWS sent you your own caps?! That's crazy!  :))

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #219 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:39:12 »

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #220 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 10:43:52 »

Offline Sneaky Potato

• * Maker
  • Gunslinger
« Reply #221 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 13:17:12 »
Way cool!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 14:10:18 »

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 15:05:06 »
Show Image

Brown Goomba Supreme!

The black didn't turn out that dark, more like a dark grey. Its the old man gooms, white sneaking into his eyebrows.

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #224 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 10:43:16 »

Building up some stock

A few blues, sadly the color swirls didn't turn out all that great on one of them. A huge drop of white color fell into the mold, and you can see how white the head is on that one but other than that the blue + red & blue + red + white swirls turned out okay.

Also been working on topre

Making some blanks and test fitting some gooms, might be at a place where they are worth selling by the time I'm ready for my sale.

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #225 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 10:36:21 »

Clearly I don't know how to properly use GID powder.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #226 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 12:31:05 »
Matching blanks are the best, though!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #227 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 13:06:05 »

mhm, I agree :)

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 20:56:31 »
Pairs looking great! Keep the good news coming.

/u/Shartastical

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #229 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:04:24 »

Thats so funny, I had no idea they'd be something people would be interested in, I just happened to have a blank mold from making spare caps for sculpting..

Maybe I'll toss in a blank or two when I do my R1 sale.

Pairs looking great! Keep the good news coming.

:D Thanks!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:07:43 »

Thats so funny, I had no idea they'd be something people would be interested in, I just happened to have a blank mold from making spare caps for sculpting..

Maybe I'll toss in a blank or two when I do my R1 sale.

Everyone loves matching blanks!

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #231 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 10:23:23 »

First go at a reinforced topre stem. I took the blank I had, and trimmed some qtips and just rammed them in there with a little sculpy on top.

Aside from the bubble I'm fairly happy with it, except for the fact that I didn't leave enough room in the vertical slits for it to fit inside the topre slider!

So, miniature files it is this evening.

Also you can see where the sprue pulled out a little more resin when I broke it off. Next go cut it..

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #232 on: Thu, 09 June 2016, 10:22:45 »

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #233 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 09:50:32 »

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #234 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 10:24:47 »
Getting better at mixing GID

Offline Suembeaux

« Reply #235 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 10:32:33 »
Getting better at mixing GID

Show Image

Show Image

Wow! These look great! I like the speckled look of the blanks.

/u/Shartastical

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #236 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 13:34:45 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #238 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 15:08:03 »
Oh, Reddit is funny sometimes. The caps are looking great!

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #239 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 10:34:42 »

Offline TheVengeance

« Reply #240 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 11:21:59 »
Damn, it's starting to dawn on me I need a pressure pot. Caps look great.

I can't do that, it is n't gonna work inside a house :( Can't use the garage and it aint gonna be safe surely.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #241 on: Wed, 15 June 2016, 13:36:59 »
Damn, it's starting to dawn on me I need a pressure pot. Caps look great.

I can't do that, it is n't gonna work inside a house :( Can't use the garage and it aint gonna be safe surely.

It would not be comfortable to use a pressure pot along with an air compressor in your home, but people do it.

An unsafe pressure pot is just as unsafe in a garage as it is in your bedroom. the only difference at that point is risk of property damage.

imagine if the insurance company knew what you were doing.

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #242 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 10:40:54 »
Early morning drop off at the USPS today :D

Fun tests

Oink Oink

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #243 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 10:47:01 »
Show Image

Fun tests
Show Image

Oink Oink
Show Image

Fudge. That means I didn't win.

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #244 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 10:50:12 »
Show Image

Fun tests
Show Image

Oink Oink
Show Image

Fudge. That means I didn't win.

There will be an unpaid invoice sale tomorrow.

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #245 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 10:19:14 »
Okay maybe not 'tomorrow' sometimes works needs to be done while at work :D

Apls + Topre are coming along

Anyone want to vote on which one should be next?

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 08:47:49 »
I say keep working on cleaning up that pig!

Offline JT_Sea

• Um hi
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 10:04:17 »
I say keep working on cleaning up that pig!

:D I was actually thinking of just going all in and making them all. Do a super small batch sale..

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #248 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 13:47:16 »
i like the 2nd from left if u decrease the length like not making the round shape on top of the caps

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts

Offline Epic

« Reply #249 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 13:48:58 »
The quality from no equipment to a pressure pump is astounding. It is a must buy on my list now! Thanks for sharing