Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2304 times)

Offline Xplaced

Hello!
« on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 00:17:04 »
Hey! Just joined. Looks like you guys know some stuff about keyboards.  :D I'm in the market for one, and I currently have a BlackWidow with blues and a QuickFire Rapid with browns. I'm wanting to try something with reds (possibly another QuickFire Rapid). I'm currently "trialing" the QF Rapid with browns, because I'm not sure about it. So I'm using it a few days to see if I get used to it or not. Coming from blue switches, the feel is much less tactile than I expected!

Anyway, I hope to frequent here and read stuff about new keyboards that are coming out in the future.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 00:19:09 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, the browns is much less tactile than the blues.  But then a different keyboard with blues will feel different to the BlackWidow.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Xplaced

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 00:58:41 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Yes, the browns is much less tactile than the blues.  But then a different keyboard with blues will feel different to the BlackWidow.

I really wonder if all browns feel like my QF Rapid. I'm not sure, because it's the only one I've had. Honestly, I tend to like the blues in my BlackWidow more than the browns so far, which appears to go against everything I read here... ha! Seems like folks hate the BlackWidow for some reason. I've not had any issues with mine and it does feel pretty good. I just want to explore the other switch types because I'd like to settle on a board for a few years. Looking for a commitment here!  :)

I wouldn't really consider another board too much except for that the blues are really loud, and my wife studies near me so I don't want to drive her crazy. Too bad there isn't a quiet blue out there. :) But, no mechanical board is quiet, so even the browns are fairly loud compared to a "regular" board. They're all noisy no matter what! I like the noise, but I can understand how it might drive someone else crazy if they don't like a lotta clicks going on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 October 2012, 01:00:18 by Xplaced »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 01:12:57 »
The BlackWidows have a few build quality issues that show up quickly for some people and over time for others.  OTOH some people have their BWU for years without any issues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 11:22:32 »
There ARE quiet mechanical keyboards. I assume you are bottoming out your browns on your quickfire; you can take more time to try and get used to them and bottom out less. If you can't you can explore PCB mounted MX switches (as opposed to plate). You don't get that "thock" noise when you press all the way down. However, some complain of the board "flex" without a plate. Then there are "silenced" topre boards.

Many here will also agree with you about almost no tactile bump on browns. I personally think your main issue there is going from blues TO browns.

And if you like your BW, you like your BW. Doesn't matter what people say here. :P It could be that you just like the blues rather than the board itself, too. :D

Welcome to GH.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 12:15:20 »
Welcome to Geekhack!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline 4LI4Z

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 October 2012, 12:18:52 »
Welcome to Geekhack! :D
BLING BLING GOLD SPRING

ErgoClear Filco MJT2 TKL || Apple EK II || Hall Effect Keypad || Cherry G81 HAD || IBM M SSK

Offline tillertow

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 October 2012, 07:24:37 »
Welcome, friend...new here myself :)
FS: 6Gv2 Key caps ISO/scandinavian:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36427.0

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 12 October 2012, 06:04:56 »
Welcome to GeekHack.
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline skryl

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 25 October 2012, 18:13:37 »
Hi and welcome to GH.
Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Brown | Leopold FC200R Otaku MX Blue | SIIG Minitouch XM White | Noppoo Choc Mini MX Red | Ducky 1087 XM Green | Leopold FC200R MX Red | Apple M0116 Salmon Alps | Realforce 86U Topre

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 02 November 2012, 04:47:53 »
Reds are the Boobs! Welcome to Geekhack!
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)