Author Topic: A hello everybody from VA!  (Read 2559 times)

Offline dohboi

A hello everybody from VA!
« on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:15:10 »
Hey everybody!

Ever since I built my first computer a month ago, I've been lurking around finding ways to improve my experience using said computer. That's when I landed on a thread explaining mechanical keyboards. After reading that thread, the rest was history. I ended up getting a Filco Ninja TKL with Cherry Blacks, since I really liked the semi-look blank, but I'm still not a touch-typist yet.

Now the funny part of this is ever since I got the board a few days ago, I've been doing a lot of research about keycaps. One thing that seemed to come up really often is the ABS keycaps on the Filco starts getting its shine a lot sooner than a lot of the other ones out there. So now, I'm on the hunt to find a keycap to preserve my awesome Ninja keys, defeating the entire purpose of me getting this board. :(

Well I join this site after finding it pop up in a lot of the search results I was seeing. Hopefully I'll able to make a little more of an informed decision since there seems to be a lot of great information here! LOL

Well its time to browse the forums for all these awesome keycaps I see!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: A hello everybody from VA!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:53:58 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

There are many keycap sets out there - side-printed and otherwise.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 18:44:32 »
Hey! Virginia is the best state!

I live in the Loudoun area, and go to school a little ways down 95.

As for keycaps, you should get PBT. I have a set bought from mechanicalkeyboards.com, but you should look into the vortex set posted under the groupbuys right now. PBT es best plastic!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline ImSoHungry

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:53:16 »
Welcome to GH!

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 20:00:17 »
welcome, fellow prisoner of the uncommonwealth!  virginia is most definitely not the best state. ;)

Offline reverkiller

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 20:02:05 »
welcome, fellow prisoner of the uncommonwealth!  virginia is most definitely not the best state. ;)

North of Fredericksburg it is :P South of there and I make no promises!
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline dohboi

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 20:52:42 »
Hey! Virginia is the best state!

I live in the Loudoun area, and go to school a little ways down 95.

As for keycaps, you should get PBT. I have a set bought from mechanicalkeyboards.com, but you should look into the vortex set posted under the groupbuys right now. PBT es best plastic!

It is a great state to live in. I live in Fairfax and luckily, everything I need is only 15 minutes away!

There are a few times that I feel that way. Especially when I'm sitting in rt. 66 traffic. lol

Welcome to Geekhack!

There are many keycap sets out there - side-printed and otherwise.

I've seen more than I can absorb already! lol
I'm slowly beginning to learn all the acronyms and the sheer amount of keycaps available.

Offline Viz

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 21:38:52 »
Welcome!
You're in the right place.
Oh, and; say goodbye to your money! ;D

Offline dohboi

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 22:29:34 »
Welcome!
You're in the right place.
Oh, and; say goodbye to your money! ;D

I saw that part as well in the Welcome post, and as I browse through all these caps, the ones I'm starting to want keep going up in price. weird... lol

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 16:34:40 »
If you can find a group buy for keycaps you like, and join, you will generally find that the more people order from the GB the cheaper the keycaps get.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dohboi

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 01:30:12 »
If you can find a group buy for keycaps you like, and join, you will generally find that the more people order from the GB the cheaper the keycaps get.

I'll look into it. I saw a few of them already when I browsed that sub forum but I'm not entirely sure of the group buy etiquette to start jumping into those. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 03:11:32 »
Take the Toxic set, for example: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38241.0

Currently there are 207 people who have ordered, so the price for a set is $57.15.  If we can get another 43 people to order, the price will drop to $56.12.  Not a huge drop, I admit, but if only 25 people had ordered then a set would have cost $93.19.