Author Topic: [IC] ePBT Tea & Biscuits - BIG UPDATE (Manu change, collabs + more)  (Read 28872 times)

Offline Khaine

Inspiration

This is my first keycap set that I've been set on making on and off over the last few months but I thought I'd make it my goal this year to create this dream into a real set!
Tea & Biscuits is a massive part of the British culture whether you like the drink/food or not! The inspiration ironically came from when I was sat of my sofa watching TV in the evening with a Tea in my hand and a plate of various Biscuits - this couldn't be more of a British thing honestly! That being said, this is where the set idea came from. Another thing is that Cream/brown are 2 of my favourite colours and lucky these 2 interests go hand in hand with each other.

If you'd like to share your thoughts on my set please do fill out the Interest Check Form

UPDATE - 02/06
Hello everyone! Here with another big update.
The main obvious part of this update is that the manufacturer has been switched to ePBT, this was a big choice I made for the set and couldn't be happier with it.
With this change I'm able to make the kits the way I envisioned from the start, that being said I've added an NorDeUK kit as well as 40'S/Ortho!!
The first 2 collaborations have been announced down below as well with a couple more to come.

Colours

There are many different shades of tea that can be made as it's all to do with preference! These colours chosen are to reflect both tea and biscuits colours combined into one, I went with this choice as it goes with how I envision the set. The chart below is the what I used as a colour reference for the tea aspect so you can see the direction I am taking, it might not be everyones cup of tea (ha ha funny pun). The dark colour is based of the shades that people class as builders tea as well as the biscuit that Bourbons has, the lighter brown shade is the most common shade of tea I see wherever I go as well as combining it with the lighter brown shades of biscuits - and lastly, the cream can be seen in the centre of the biscuit custard creams for example (plus it just works with the set really well!). I hope you can see where I am going with the set and the future of it.

More

Kits

Shades of Tea - Base Kit

Builders Tea - Dark Modifier Kit

Crumbs - Numpad Kit

Wafers - Spacebar Kit

Platter - Novelties kit

Nibbles - 40's/Ortho Kit

Sugar cubes - NorDeUK Kit

More
Unlabelled Kits

Shades of Tea - Base Kit

Builders Tea - Dark Modifier Kit

Crumbs - Numpad Kit

Wafers - Spacebar Kit

Platter - Novelties kit

Nibbles - 40's/Ortho Kit

Sugarcubes - NorDeUK Kit

Renders

TGR Alice - Yuktsi

More

J-01 - Jae (Proto[typist])

More

TGR 910 RE - Yuktsi

More

Evolv75 - NathanAlphaMan

More

TGR Jane - Yuktsi

More

Renders above done by PlopMK

Yeti - AxolStudio

More renders below by MakerJake

More

J-02 - Proto[Typist]

U80-A - RAMAWORKS

M65-A by RAMAWORKS

Deskmats

The deskmats are currently being made and processed in the factory waiting to be displayed!

All Deskmats will be designed by False_Shi

Vendors

US - Kono.store
UK - Proto[Typist]
EU - Mykeyboard.eu
CA - Ashkeebs
CN - zFrontier
SEA - iLumKB
OCE - Switchkeys

Collaborations

Salvun

NerdCables

Please let me know what you'd like to see with using the Interest Check Form!

Change Log:

More
26/01/2021 - IC Launched

10/02/2021:
Updated kits - Removal of 40's/Ortho as not enough interest as well as conversation with other creators about 40's kits
Updated board renders to show the colours better
Added Novelties and new deskmat changes
Done a new IC form for all necessary changes to get new feedback!
New tabs on thread (Vendors, Previous kits for example)
Removal of RAL 8019 Grey Brown - 3D3635 - Alpha Legends to bring it down to 3 custom colours

22/03/2021:
All Vendors announced + expected GB quarter
Update kitting renders on labelling/lighting
Update IC to show what is to be expected in the coming months
New updated IC form added
Actually post an update lel

02/06/2021:
Announced manufacturer change
New kitting renders both labelled and unlabelled added
New Renders done by PlopMK added
Collaborations added - Salvun/Nerdcables

To Do List:

Use feedback to revise everything to do with the set.
Novelties kit released.
More Renders.
Look into getting Collaborations.
Get vendors.
Revise colourway.
This will be updated when more things I need to do come up!

Credits

The Biggest Thanks to These Peoples

False_Shi - Both my best friend and room mate, this guy has done every bit of art work on this set. The banner, deskmats and the novelties when they arrive. He's also dealt with my constant talk on this set and I couldn't be more grateful.
(link to his socials - https://linktr.ee/False_shi)
DotNick - He has given me so much guidance on this set over the last month, thank you so much for dealing with my constant questions and need for feedback as well as help with the colours!
(Please go check out his set GMK Lavender)
MakerJake - Thank you for doing these absolute gorgeous renders of the set and teaching me a few tricks on Blender. (They socials are - https://solo.to/makerjake)
ManoliVisuals Discord - I've met so many of my friends through this server and they've again dealt with my constant talk about this set. They've given me so much feedback on what's good and not and I can't thank them enough. (Bread_Mold, KoolAidPapa, xlSantos, thatfnboi, KonamiAi to name a few....)
ManoliVisuals - Thank you for inspiring me with your optimism and pushing me when I've been down. Please Consider GMK Evil Eye - This is his personal set currently in IC I helped with, go show some love!
PlopMK - Thank you so much for doing these absolute beautiful renders as well as all the patience you've had with me while doing them!
I'd also like to extend a thanks to everyone who has given feedback in the past on this or who has encouraged/push me to make this set a reality!

Signature

If you'd like to show some support for this keycap set, please consider adding this banner to your profile signature!!!
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110877.0][img width=350 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/wo06PuU.png[/img][/url]

For updates on the set and to keep up to date with what I'm doing I've made an instagram where I'll post renders, collabs and other new things!

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2021, 17:16:58 by Khaine »

Offline Khaine

Re: [IC] GMK Tea & Biscuits
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 17:50:13 »
Reserved.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 February 2021, 08:40:05 by Khaine »

Offline Segneri

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 17:51:38 »
Great set cant wait to see this come to GB! Congrats on your first set

Offline boopkaz

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:00:25 »
i did this just for this set

Offline false_shi

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:01:29 »
This set is god tier, and great Deskmats btw! GL with IC

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:04:03 »
i get supporting your homies but

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:08:10 »

That's pretty funny.

I guess this is only the 3rd brown and white set I've seen, so I can't complain too much. I like full UK ISO in the base, basic 40's support in the base (like GMK Umbra) might be preferrable to an extensive 40's kit that won't hit MOQ.

Offline RIFT

• RiftKeys
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:14:59 »
so confused......... why is there a lavender render

Offline Oggi

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:15:04 »
that one u80 render is so nice

Offline kohalified

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:16:03 »
Wait why is there gmk lavender render in more?

Offline Skok

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:16:55 »

Show Image

It's just the lighting.

Offline Khaine

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:19:00 »

Show Image

Thank you for highlighting this to me! I got help from Nicks Clicks when doing this so I must have missed over the URL. Fixed :D

Offline Khaine

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:20:39 »

That's pretty funny.

I guess this is only the 3rd brown and white set I've seen, so I can't complain too much. I like full UK ISO in the base, basic 40's support in the base (like GMK Umbra) might be preferrable to an extensive 40's kit that won't hit MOQ.

I've been thinking about doing this and I did experiment with it when messing around with the kits, it's something that I am open to consider along the way!

Offline Ulliam

• Formerly Papithered
  • 𝖚𝖑𝖑𝖎.𝖆𝖒
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:31:11 »
if your tea looks like Ral 9001 then thats not tea.

Offline gMit

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 18:56:46 »
Liking the set so far but please no icon mods

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 19:13:52 »
Oh yeah baby, plain Digestive lover here. Too bad they cost so much in the only grocer in my town that carries them (US)

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:28:34 »
Love the soft tones of this one, super mellow, will probably join. Might suggest F13 in base and some tea and biscuits related text mods ('sip', 'dunk', etc)

Offline ManoliVisuals

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 20:51:03 »
excellent work brother, looking forward to seeing what the novs look like!

Offline SpenceFence

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 21:03:12 »
Interested, looking forward to seeing the novelties.

Offline EXOgreen

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 08:26:51 »
Creamy! I think this would look great on a white KBD Fans 67.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 03:17:20 »
My wife is a bonafied tea based design expert (she makes jewellery, clothing, and stationary designs that are tea themed) and so I showed this to her.

I'm afraid to say that she didn't rate it particularly highly in terms of the colourway having much of a relationship to tea.

She agrees with:

As do I.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 03:20:54 by -Jerry- »
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Biskwit157

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 05:10:55 »
That's the custard cream middle

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 January 2021, 05:38:20 by Biskwit157 »

Offline Khaine

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 09:58:00 »

My wife is a bonafied tea based design expert (she makes jewellery, clothing, and stationary designs that are tea themed) and so I showed this to her.

I'm afraid to say that she didn't rate it particularly highly in terms of the colourway having much of a relationship to tea.

She agrees with:

As do I.

That's the custard cream middle

I completely understand with RAL 9001, it is completely the wrong type of tea if someone has it that weak it's wrong. The cream is a choice I made to make it not full brown. I did however try other colours but for me it didn't pop as much as this! If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear!!! :D

Offline xlSantos

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 10:12:33 »
First of all I want to say congrats on the first set and maybe plenty more to come.

I am in love in the creamy color tone in the base set and look so good on an e-white board. 
The deskmats look pretty great as well, the tea cup is very minimalistic (and my favorite) , the spoons well they are spoons, and  the biscuits one looks pretty nice.

I will be joining this when it hit GB for sure and can’t wait to see more updates. GL with IC

Offline BraveOtter

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 10:44:37 »
It would be great to have a ISO spanish kit. Just a suggestion.

Offline atlanticise

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 01:35:14 »
I kinda like these colours even though I'm not really a fan of brown sets. This reminds me a bit of IFK cafe. I think a more accurate name for the set would be milk and cookies because I don't really see the tea inspo in the colours, haha. Here's hoping your colourmatching turns out nice pastel-soft browns like in your renders :) GLWIC!

Offline MakerJake

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 07:45:30 »
I cant wait to see the novelties, GLWIC!

Offline Khaine

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 09:55:53 »
I kinda like these colours even though I'm not really a fan of brown sets. This reminds me a bit of IFK cafe. I think a more accurate name for the set would be milk and cookies because I don't really see the tea inspo in the colours, haha. Here's hoping your colourmatching turns out nice pastel-soft browns like in your renders :) GLWIC!

Thank you so much! I was toying with changing it to Milk & Cookies at the start, I'm looking into different shades of brown that might represent it a bit better from all the feedback so it could be potentially changed! :D

Offline Biskwit157

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 11:29:40 »

Thank you so much! I was toying with changing it to Milk & Cookies at the start, I'm looking into different shades of brown that might represent it a bit better from all the feedback so it could be potentially changed! :D
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses, great job.

Offline dd0ubleu

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 14:49:36 »
is that a 1.5 left shift in the extension kit?

Offline Senbeii

• Swiggity Swag Whats In Da Bag
    • Keyoto
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:54:22 »
Gives off the same vibes as cafe! Good luck with the IC  :thumb:

Offline Senbeii

• Swiggity Swag Whats In Da Bag
    • Keyoto
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:57:12 »
Also I hope you can reach out to Deskhero for the Canadian Vendor  :thumb:

Offline Faehriss

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 17:40:53 »
These are super cute! I love the warm tea & cream colours + the inclusion of ISO UK parts in the base kit

Very excited to see the novelties, I'll be keeping an eye on this one :thumb:
church of the POM keeb

Offline Groom

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 11:57:31 »
The color of the keycap is very comfortable

Offline fastertypes69

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 16:54:54 »
tea and biscuits it is then!!!

Offline Khaine

Re: [IC] GMK Tea & Biscuits - Added Novelties, New kitting/Deskmats, New IC!
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 08:46:46 »
Gives off the same vibes as cafe! Good luck with the IC  :thumb:
Thank you so much :D Cafe is an inspirational set for me so the vibes make sense!

tea and biscuits it is then!!!
Has to be it!!

These are super cute! I love the warm tea & cream colours + the inclusion of ISO UK parts in the base kit

Very excited to see the novelties, I'll be keeping an eye on this one :thumb:
Thank you!! not including ISO would be wrong of me lol, novelties are now added too :D

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: [IC] GMK Tea & Biscuits - Added Novelties, New Kitting/Deskmats, New IC Form!
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:23:59 »
Like it, but probably not my cup of tea

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
Re: [IC] GMK Tea & Biscuits - Added Novelties, New Kitting/Deskmats, New IC Form!
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 13:43:24 »
I wouldn’t include both accent and mod colour iso enter, also, ne 1.25 in spacebars kit avail?
When it comes to novelties you have a small space in the tea bag between the tea and the outer bag... is that within tolerances? Also, is the b in the biscuits novelty within tolerance? Have you considered pricing? With a 250 moq the base kit looks like it’s gonna be quite high in price with UK iso support and minimal 40s. Personally not a fan of the tea stain deskmat but best of luck  :thumb:

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 16:37:00 »
jam (deep red) accents might be nice on this
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Khaine

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 06:17:10 »
I wouldn’t include both accent and mod colour iso enter, also, ne 1.25 in spacebars kit avail?
When it comes to novelties you have a small space in the tea bag between the tea and the outer bag... is that within tolerances? Also, is the b in the biscuits novelty within tolerance? Have you considered pricing? With a 250 moq the base kit looks like it’s gonna be quite high in price with UK iso support and minimal 40s. Personally not a fan of the tea stain deskmat but best of luck  :thumb:

For the ISO novelties it was more to see if me and the artist could come up with one but it would make the kit pricey so they may not be included! The novelties were made with the GMK guidelines but I am going to contact them so they can double check it over for me :D I'm still trying to find the best base kit kitting currently so it could change again! Also I knew I forgot a one of the spacebar sizes thank you for reminding me xD

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 06:57:04 »

For the ISO novelties it was more to see if me and the artist could come up with one but it would make the kit pricey so they may not be included! The novelties were made with the GMK guidelines but I am going to contact them so they can double check it over for me :D I'm still trying to find the best base kit kitting currently so it could change again! Also I knew I forgot a one of the spacebar sizes thank you for reminding me xD

No problem! :D

Offline steebs

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 20:12:27 »
love this, favorite part is you think that we are not capable of making coffee/tea stains on our deskmats by ourselves

Offline meech

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 18 February 2021, 01:36:22 »
I'm obsessed with brown sets and this is my favorite so far. I thought GMK bread would be my holy grail keycaps but this set might just beat it <3

also seems like I'm not the only one who decided to make an account for this set lol

Offline Rx003

« Reply #43 on: Fri, 19 February 2021, 03:52:27 »
Its alright for me its not a set that I crave for but will be looking out for. Anyways good luck with the IC and I wish you all the best for this.

Offline Khaine

Re: [IC] GMK Tea & Biscuits - All Vendors Announced + Update!
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 14:54:05 »
Just a quick update everyone, as you can see Vendors are announced as well as a short message from myself at the top + a couple of other things from myself! Thank you again for being patient on this update :D

Offline Thatfnboi

Re: [IC] GMK Tea & Biscuits - All Vendors Announced + Update!
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 22 March 2021, 16:57:38 »
oi

Offline Khaine

Re: [IC] ePBT Tea & Biscuits - BIG UPDATE (Manu change, collabs + more)
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 17:17:57 »
Update 02/06
Manufacturer change
Collabs added
New kitting + renders added

Offline ManoliVisuals

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 17:29:38 »
big supporter of this change, gimme that set not in 24 months lmao

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 19:30:28 »
Update 02/06
Manufacturer change
Collabs added
New kitting + renders added

Was seriously considering, but with the manufacturer change I think I’ll pass then. Not a fan of ePBT, sorry. To be honest I’m also not sure if dye sub can create the colour vibrancy needed (tho admittedly this is not a particularly vibrant set). 

Offline nineleveno

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 21:25:53 »
Filled out the form -- definitely interested especially with the change to ePBT.

I'd love to see this run with a colevrak kit if possible :)