Author Topic: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64/MX 60% [IN STOCK DEC 7]  (Read 41394 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64 ALL PAID, PLACING ORDER
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 10:30:42 »
Belle is just putting the finishing touches on optimizing the print for beige and grey. She claims that glow and Translucent are coming out perfectly. (This means a few B-stock models that didn't use the final printing pattern, but that are otherwise perfect will be available for cheaper for those that want in)

We had to make a small adjustment on the space grey. The original stuff had a few month lead time, so we found an alternative. I think it's nicer, as it's a touch warmer. New stuff on top.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 10:40:14 »
I think that new gray will look very nice with the aek caps!  I have a case that is the old gray ad there isn’t quite enough contrast for that pop.  Thanks for the update

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 11:25:04 »
The new grey looks much better to me! I agree with pixelpusher & think the warmer tone will go better with AEK caps. Kinda wish I had went with the grey instead of beige now seeing the change. :-\ Oh well maybe I can get lucky & grab a b-stock grey one whenever those go up for sale. The cases themselves looks like they're shaping up great! They are even thicker than I thought they'd be, I think that's gonna make for really good acoustics with these. Thanks for the update! :thumb:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 16:17:32 »
The new grey looks much better to me! I agree with pixelpusher & think the warmer tone will go better with AEK caps. Kinda wish I had went with the grey instead of beige now seeing the change. :-\ Oh well maybe I can get lucky & grab a b-stock grey one whenever those go up for sale. The cases themselves looks like they're shaping up great! They are even thicker than I thought they'd be, I think that's gonna make for really good acoustics with these. Thanks for the update! :thumb:

Email me. Should be able to change if you'd like.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 16:55:21 »

Email me. Should be able to change if you'd like.

I appreciate the offer, but I'll stick with beige as that is what I think should go best with AEK caps overall. Plus I got quite a few silver/gray boards so I picked beige originally to inject some other colors into my collection anyways. However I still would be highly interested in a b-stock grey case when they become available. I got plenty of ALPS switches, stabilizers, & PCBs on hand to put together two builds around these cases. :thumb:

Offline walie

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 14 March 2019, 17:42:47 »
Is there any chance to see what the transparent version looks like without any LEDs lighting it up?

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 02:38:14 »
Will the b-stocks be available here or on Belle's website?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 09:09:46 »
Is there any chance to see what the transparent version looks like without any LEDs lighting it up?

There should be images of it from the album in the first post. Non-japanese keycaps in the grass

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 15 March 2019, 09:49:46 »
Will the b-stocks be available here or on Belle's website?

Not sure yet, but I certainly will update the thread with where to get them, so check back here.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] ADK64 - Final sample en route to me
« Reply #59 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 19:08:30 »
Hi guys, another update:

I'm getting my models shipped to me right now, so I will be able to have a final look and give the go ahead for manufacturing to start using the same printing settings. Belle sent me some pics of the beige. She tried using a technique she uses on her owns cases, and it's got a retraction gap in the back next to the USB port. You can't see it when you're using the board, and it helps the printer realign so that the deviation between layers is minimized.

Tl;dr, smoother print in exchange for a little line. It's in the pictures below.

And, as always, the translucent and glow models hide the layers better since they're... well, translucent. I've got a few images of the underglow transmission in a dim room - please excuse the Miami, but its pretty uniform and bright.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] ADK64 - Final sample en route to me
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 19:09:25 »
Whoops, double posted

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 19:29:58 »
Thanks for the update.  I’ve got 3 keyboarbelle cases, all with the line in the back, and it’s never bothered me. You don’t see it when using the board.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 17 March 2019, 20:14:21 »
Looking good! The line in the back doesn't bother me any if it gives better results overall. The top of the case looks excellent, the sides look a little rough, but I'm guessing that is pretty much unavoidable with 3D printing. I've heard you can use acetone or good ole sandpaper to smooth out 3D prints depending on the plastics used. Anybody know if either would be possible with these cases or have any experience/info on either of the processes?

Don't get me wrong I could easily live with the way the cases are looking now, I just think these cases truly have ALPS end game potential & being able to clean up the sides a bit would be a huge bonus if possible. I really believe these cases are gonna do wonders for the acoustics of any switch, but clicky & tactile SKCM ALPS in particular. IME/IMO while they might not look as cool as custom designed metal cases, thick sturdy plastic cases makes for the best & deepest sound signatures. I should mention I have yet to try a polycarb case, but given it's properties I see them performing roughly the same as most other thick plastic cases.

Also the beige is looking sharp making me glad I decided not to change my order now seeing a near final version of one. Anyways thanks for the update, really looking forward to getting mine! :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2019, 20:15:54 by Rob27shred »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 13:57:04 »
Got one extra spot open. Translucent, no apple cutout, keep center post.

Let me know in DMs if you want it!

Filled.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 March 2019, 21:35:21 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 21:39:40 »
Space Grey, Translucent and Glow in the Dark are all done :cool:  And will be shipped to the distributor in the US this week :)

Classic Beige needs a few extra days, as the print settings needed some extra tweaking to get it really nice, but belle reports that they are coming out great after the extra tinkering. Those will be sent separately in a week or so when they are done as to not hold up the rest of the GB.

That means that everyone but Classic Beige buyers can expect a tracking number in about a 1-1.5 weeks, and classic beige 2-2.5 weeks.

I'm getting a few B-stocks sent to me so that I can experiment with coating and sanding for those who didn't like the 3D printed look, so I will report on those findings in this thread, so you don't have to wreck your nice new cases... I'll do that for you  :p

We're still working out how we want to do the B-stock sale, but it will be announced here for those who didn't get a chance at the GB. I should have images of defects and will have them discounted accordingly when the time comes.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 24 March 2019, 21:52:45 »
Space Grey, Translucent and Glow in the Dark are all done :cool:  And will be shipped to the distributor in the US this week :)

Classic Beige needs a few extra days, as the print settings needed some extra tweaking to get it really nice, but belle reports that they are coming out great after the extra tinkering. Those will be sent separately in a week or so when they are done as to not hold up the rest of the GB.

That means that everyone but Classic Beige buyers can expect a tracking number in about a 1-1.5 weeks, and classic beige 2-2.5 weeks.

I'm getting a few B-stocks sent to me so that I can experiment with coating and sanding for those who didn't like the 3D printed look, so I will report on those findings in this thread, so you don't have to wreck your nice new cases... I'll do that for you  :p

We're still working out how we want to do the B-stock sale, but it will be announced here for those who didn't get a chance at the GB. I should have images of defects and will have them discounted accordingly when the time comes.

Thanks for the update! Look forward to what you come up with as far as smoothing techniques, another big thanks for doing the research with some b-stock. Kinda a bummer about classic beige as that is the color I'm in for, although I'm always willing to wait for a better product & appreciate the extra work both you & Keyboardbelle are putting in on it! :thumb:

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 15:19:06 »
Hi all,

I should be getting my cases this week, so I'll spend some time fooling around with finishing on the B-stock and have a little write up of findings.

The non-beige cases are in the hands of my distributor in CA, so we should expect those to start heading out this week.

Belle is sending the beige ones directly from her as they are printed, since they take a little longer, and last I heard she was preparing some on the weekend, so those should also start trickling out this week.

I'm excited to see what builds everyone puts in these, so pictures are appreciated so I can assemble a little portfolio of what my designs are being used for!

And as always, if you've got any questions my DMs, email, and this thread are where you can find me.

Offline Rubbermilitia

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 01 April 2019, 15:42:16 »
Hi all,

I should be getting my cases this week, so I'll spend some time fooling around with finishing on the B-stock and have a little write up of findings.

The non-beige cases are in the hands of my distributor in CA, so we should expect those to start heading out this week.

Belle is sending the beige ones directly from her as they are printed, since they take a little longer, and last I heard she was preparing some on the weekend, so those should also start trickling out this week.

I'm excited to see what builds everyone puts in these, so pictures are appreciated so I can assemble a little portfolio of what my designs are being used for!

And as always, if you've got any questions my DMs, email, and this thread are where you can find me.

Thanks! Sent you an email- change of address

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [GB] ADK64 - 3D Printed 60% case for alps64 [SHIPPING]
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 02 April 2019, 18:30:20 »
11/50 (Incl 7 INTL orders) went out today. I'll get tracking numbers to everyone as soon as I get them.

Offline sohitone

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 09:21:53 »
So for the beige ones will we be billed for shipping as Belle ships out? Thanks! Very excited...

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 03 April 2019, 11:04:43 »
Everyone paid for shipping on the original order, so everyone is already squared up.

Offline EvvL

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 17:53:09 »
Just got mine. I love it. It completes my alps64 build perfectly.  :D

Offline sohitone

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 18:16:43 »
Wow that looks really smooth

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 18:22:19 »
Just got mine. I love it. It completes my alps64 build perfectly.  :D

Show Image

what switches did you use?

Offline EvvL

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 18:29:50 »
They're Salmon ALPS from the same keyboard the keycaps came from.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 19:31:19 »
Hot damn that looks smooth. Mine come tomorrow, so you've beaten me to the initial hype train haha. Enjoy!

Offline aedin

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 19:55:32 »
Mine just came in today and it turned out wonderful. Thank you very much!
SKCM Orange Alps with JP keycaps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 19:57:07 »
Seeing all these beautiful builds makes me hate that I missed this group buy.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:06:14 »
Seeing all these beautiful builds makes me hate that I missed this group buy.

Never fear. I've got B-stock coming in hot and fast, and most likely a round 2 pretty soon.

Plus now we've optimized the printing process, which was half of this GB, so it should be super quick.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:07:18 »

Show Image

Wow! These look really smooth on top. Is your apple logo press fit, or will it need a dab of glue (was designed for the latter, I'm just curious)

Offline aedin

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 20:13:03 »

Show Image

Wow! These look really smooth on top. Is your apple logo press fit, or will it need a dab of glue (was designed for the latter, I'm just curious)

The logo definitely needed a dab of glue for it to stay. But it's a pretty good fit

Offline vafan

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 21:47:54 »
Do we have mail or some notifications before getting this case?

I need it since my address belongs to a forwarder

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 22:42:50 »
DM me your address/invoice number and I'll get you sorted.

Offline walie

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 23:11:08 »
Uggh, the waiting is hard, especially since I haven't gotten a tracking number yet.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 01:22:02 »
Have there still only been 11 orders that have shipped to date?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 07 April 2019, 13:51:34 »
25/50, I believe that my friend in CA doing the shipping has the last 25 ready to go for Monday April 8. The first 25 just got their tracking numbers sent to them.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2019, 13:53:18 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 22:11:59 »
All 50 are out. I'm busy with finals, so tracking numbers will be gotten to you ASAP, but of course, school first. Keep the pics of finished builds coming :)

Here are some pics of mine. Orange Alps with AEK JP caps in beige, and Green Alps in the Glow in the Dark case - the glow effect is crazy nice!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 08 April 2019, 22:23:23 »
Got mine today too.  Case is damn solid and sounds great.

Offline crd

• Discord: crd#7617
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 22:52:29 »
I just received one "Classic Beige" and one "Space Grey". I took some quick potatoes with an old Matias build and AEK caps but they don't look nice enough to share here :P They both look very nice but I think I prefer the Classic Beige with AEK caps for a nice, clean, and classic look.

Thanks for everything!

Offline gbchk

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 09 April 2019, 23:27:48 »
Has anyone done any kind of finishing work to their case, or plan to?

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:20:27 »
I'm looking into it. I'm not sure if sanding is the solution, as you risk taking off the "walls" of the print (it's not 100% solid), then you could get holes. But you'd have to take off a decent amount of material, so it could be done. I plan on trying it on my old prototype this week when I have a spare half hour.

I'm also looking in to stickerbombing. Just not sure how well the adhesive will stay on the plastic since it's not super smooth.

Finally, there's always a sealant/epoxy/3D coating. These work, and they add a bit of shine. I'll see what I can acquire, it's a little bit expensive for XTC-3D, but maybe something from the hardware store will do the trick.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #91 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 00:39:34 »
I'm looking into it. I'm not sure if sanding is the solution, as you risk taking off the "walls" of the print (it's not 100% solid), then you could get holes. But you'd have to take off a decent amount of material, so it could be done. I plan on trying it on my old prototype this week when I have a spare half hour.

I'm also looking in to stickerbombing. Just not sure how well the adhesive will stay on the plastic since it's not super smooth.

Finally, there's always a sealant/epoxy/3D coating. These work, and they add a bit of shine. I'll see what I can acquire, it's a little bit expensive for XTC-3D, but maybe something from the hardware store will do the trick.

Nice, looking forward to your results. I was looking into XTC-3D as well but I'm not crazy about the shininess. I wonder if doing a light sand to roughen it up would work in producing a good texture.

Offline mxgian99

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 12:34:43 »
got mine today,  typical keyboardbelle exp.  which is to say great.   there are a few finishing marks, but fine given that this is plastic and 3d printed. 

i had my apple logo sticker ready and everything.  unfortunately the build i have planned for this is not ready.

i got the gid one and the charge is quite fast, but it fades quick, tried to capture it.

and great gb runner, no muss, no fuss, and showed up early!

https://imgur.com/a/Qlxh9dW

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2019, 12:36:48 by mxgian99 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 16:51:44 »
217031-0

NoS yellow alps.  Dreamy to type on. Looking forward to more cool stuff in plastic

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 17:26:58 »
Can you post a close up shot of the bezel? I'm wondering if everyone's is looking smooth because of imgur compression. Also how do clickies sound in there? I've never put clickies in this case

Offline menuhin

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 17:57:02 »
I missed this group buy... Will there be a round 2 some time in the future?

And is there a chance for:
1. Slight improvement for the upper part of the edge, e.g. even slightly more curved up?
2. Have you tried post-processing of ABS such as acetone vapour smoothing? Will the manufacturer be able to provide this option?

These boards are looking great!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 18:15:33 »
B-stock is coming and R2 is very high likelihood.

These are PLA, not ABS. I may have stated that somewhere in err, so finishing methods like acetone vapour are not going to work.

As for adjusting the bezel, I'm not sure what you mean - if you can make a diagram/picture or something more descriptive I can have a look at making potential adjustments.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 18:23:34 »
Close ups as requested. I think I see what he means about slightly more curve at the top. The bottom of the key is almost peaking out.  Really like my case. Thanks again.

217037-0

217039-1

Offline menuhin

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 18:32:30 »
B-stock is coming and R2 is very high likelihood.

These are PLA, not ABS. I may have stated that somewhere in err, so finishing methods like acetone vapour are not going to work.

As for adjusting the bezel, I'm not sure what you mean - if you can make a diagram/picture or something more descriptive I can have a look at making potential adjustments.

Like these, which is minor but it can be more perfect with iterations of revisions:

Plus one thing:
The translucent and glow-in-dark option when paired with the Paladin64 PCB is a total killer purchase for lots of Alps interested people.
Which I hope, you can also collaborate with the Paladin64 PCB designer to let you re-run a batch of Paladin64.
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline mog_genius88

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 10 April 2019, 18:34:13 »
Hi Reds

I ordered 3x ADKs from you and today they were delivered to the wrong address. I DM'd you on 2/24 requesting a change in shipping address which you confirmed. Can you clarify this for me?

Thanks.

Issue currently being resolved. Will update once resolved.

Update: USPS was able to locate the package and reroute it. Was received. GB runner offered to ship me new cases at his expense if I didn't receive the packages. Resolved.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 April 2019, 14:26:27 by mog_genius88 »