Author Topic: Car Thread  (Read 646780 times)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: Car Thread
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:04:33 »

The speed limit on the road into town from my house is 25. There are 3 massive speed bumps. I just love watching people with "stanced" cars go over them at around 5 and still wreck the **** out of their ride.

Also, I'll never buy/use a car again with low profile wheels and tires. I hit a pot-hole with the little BMW loaner coupe and got an $800 bill for bending the rim. :( So all in with the repairs I was getting on my car, it was a $2,600 day. **** me.

Yeah I lowered mine with Coilovers but kept finger distance inbetween my wheel wells and I have stock tire and wheels. I dont want no thin ass wheels getting bent up. I can run my wheels all year! no issues. :)

Could just not buy thin ass wheel =P
They also cost like half of the value of my car lol.

Yeah, Ill probably eventually get different style oem wheels with smaller tires, just not as thin as ive ran on my GTI before.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #601 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:11:40 »
**** you stance haters

STANCENATION BROS

Cars should be left as they came, natural is best! Not this mechanically modified evil!!!!1

That only applies to spacebars and hhkbs
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #602 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:13:31 »
As long as you don’t go too low a profile vs the width and don’t go too cheap (or too expensive/rare) on the wheels then going aftermarket is more than fine. Factory offsets typically look like **** and come too narrow, I'm not into a "hellaflushbrah" look, but relatively flush to the side of the car looks significantly better, if you are someone who cares or notices these things.

Some wheels are more prone to getting bent then others, it's always good to research this before pulling the trigger on a set. For instance I was close to getting some RFP1s but came across various threads on car forums about them getting bent, which makes sense because they are beautifully light wheels, so I went with some NT03+M instead, the dual rings and multi spokes makes them stronger, although heavier.  BUT if you live in an area with garbage roads don’t bother, maybe buy some steelies with more width and offset and call it a day. 

The recent posts in here are sploosh for sure, I've been busy and haven't done much but look. And the Ohlins, plus the caster kit, roll center kit, bushings, and alignment. JFC the car drives unlike anything I've ever driven before. It takes corners like a weapon, I don't know how else to describe it. I kept the rear the same height and dropped the front 7mm.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #603 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:17:12 »
As long as you don’t go too low a profile vs the width and don’t go too cheap (or too expensive/rare) on the wheels then going aftermarket is more than fine. Factory offsets typically look like **** and come too narrow, I'm not into a "hellaflushbrah" look, but relatively flush to the side of the car looks significantly better, if you are someone who cares or notices these things.

Some wheels are more prone to getting bent then others, it's always good to research this before pulling the trigger on a set. For instance I was close to getting some RFP1s but came across various threads on car forums about them getting bent, which makes sense because they are beautifully light wheels, so I went with some NT03+M instead, the dual rings and multi spokes makes them stronger, although heavier.  BUT if you live in an area with garbage roads don’t bother, maybe buy some steelies with more width and offset and call it a day. 

The recent posts in here are sploosh for sure, I've been busy and haven't done much but look. And the Ohlins, plus the caster kit, roll center kit, bushings, and alignment. JFC the car drives unlike anything I've ever driven before. It takes corners like a weapon, I don't know how else to describe it. I kept the rear the same height and dropped the front 7mm.

Well put! I've ran smaller profile tires before and hit potholes fine, it all depends on how it's built and the size etc. I'll eventually look into some. Just not too crazy expensive or cambered.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #604 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:24:05 »
It’s a math equation, you go wider width you go narrower profile, you go bigger wheel (from a 17 to 18) the numbers change. It has to be the same diameter wheel regardless of size/width to keep the speedo accurate and braking performance to OEM specs.
Anyway couple pics, I didn't take many, wish I would have but heat+pollen+fustration=screw photos. Taking the control arms out and replacing the ball joint and bushings, then getting them back in was one of the harder things I've done. My dad was in town for the week, was a good father/son project. We've done nuttier stuff haha.

The machine put 2010, but its a 2014, same car different head unit heh. The before was 100% F'ed, the toe was so bad due to the Whiteline Roll Center kit install just driving it over there felt dangerous. I was stressed that something was wrong with the pillowmounts because the steering was so amazingly bad.

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:25:42 by Psybin »

Offline maddingo

« Reply #605 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:39:23 »
as you can see I have always been a car guy:

my old car: Volvo 245 Station wagon ... 89' sold it with 265K miles on the clock

my current car: (as it was ..still is really several months ago when brand new: )

fear my awesome middle~ish aged married white guy mobile????

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #606 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 23:26:59 »
Actually that wagon is pretty b itchen, and a big six cylinder is super nice on the highway. I had a TL-S for a while and it was an amazing highway cruiser. For me personally though it felt too big/heavy.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #607 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 03:42:04 »
I see dem snap on boxes creepin' in the background.

And the cheapo great neck impact sockets in the foreground.  (To be fair, I wouldn't even have the craftsmen ones I have if not for catching a crazy sale when I worked for a SAC)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #608 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:41:17 »
It’s a math equation, you go wider width you go narrower profile, you go bigger wheel (from a 17 to 18) the numbers change. It has to be the same diameter wheel regardless of size/width to keep the speedo accurate and braking performance to OEM specs.
Anyway couple pics, I didn't take many, wish I would have but heat+pollen+fustration=screw photos. Taking the control arms out and replacing the ball joint and bushings, then getting them back in was one of the harder things I've done. My dad was in town for the week, was a good father/son project. We've done nuttier stuff haha.

The machine put 2010, but its a 2014, same car different head unit heh. The before was 100% F'ed, the toe was so bad due to the Whiteline Roll Center kit install just driving it over there felt dangerous. I was stressed that something was wrong with the pillowmounts because the steering was so amazingly bad.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Daymmm, I wish my car was that clean underneath!
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #609 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:50:49 »
I see dem snap on boxes creepin' in the background.

And the cheapo great neck impact sockets in the foreground.  (To be fair, I wouldn't even have the craftsmen ones I have if not for catching a crazy sale when I worked for a SAC)

A base I worked on gave away a bunch of those Snap-On boxes when they got new ones. It was a commander approved thing because DRMO didn’t want them so they were either going to metal recycling or freebies to full timers on base. They are in pretty good shape, one of the lower thick drawers were overloaded during their use and opens kind of rough, but overall they are solid used boxes.  It was a sweet score. I have a mix of expensive and cheap stuff, but mostly cheap Harbor Freight stuff. I understand why professional mechanics need the expensive stuff, anything that makes them faster = bigger paychecks. But for driveway mechanics (me anyway) the Harbor Freight stuff is good enough.  I'd rather have a large variety of various cheaper tools then a small selection of super high end stuff.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #610 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:13:06 »
This thread makes me want to sell all my keyboards and fix my car.   :'(

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #611 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:16:28 »

idk I love looking at the mechanics of a car and reading about it, but actually doing it... seems like a hassle haha

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #612 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:18:52 »

idk I love looking at the mechanics of a car and reading about it, but actually doing it... seems like a hassle haha

Haha, it totally is.  And I've never done serious car work like some people in here have, I just do basic maintenance and repairs.  But yeah, some designs just are not friendly to work on, and it can be frustrating.  In the end though, I really enjoy it.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #613 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 11:05:36 »
Godddddddd I want this so bad :'(

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C613883

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #614 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:28:41 »
My new MK7 GTI

If you have a SD Card reader in your glovebox I made a quick how-to for the card readers/formats/types/etc for MKVII Golfs on VWVortext . I've been messing with it this week trying to get my wife's new Sportwagen hooked up with music. I'm super envious, I so wish my car had it. I have a POS USB port in the glovebox that doesn't work. I hook my iPod up via the 30 pin connector and then to the back of the head unit, its clean but kind of a PITA. Until I have a phone with a high storage capacity then I can stream via Bluetooth this is the way I have to go.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7175582-SD-Card-Reader

« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 14:31:42 by Psybin »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #615 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 16:42:09 »
Hey thats a sick Evo bro!!!!!! :)

You guys should be informed, chemical guys has 25% off tonight. Just ordered some detailing and waterless carwash stuff. Figured this is the only thread anyone would care to read it. heh

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #616 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:01:53 »
Thanks!

Good looking out on the Chemical Guys sale. I really like their stuff. Their pads are awesome if you rotary polish/buff.

Ordered a two Blue Bars, gallon of the Luber, pad conditioner, and a gallon of pad cleaner.
I typically order a small spray bottle first, and if I like the product I'll buy a gallon refill.

I have to do a full claybar, polish, wax, seal on both cars this summer.

If you wash your car often buy a gallon of the Max Suds II plus their gallon hand pump, one pump is one oz so you can  dial in exactly how much you use per bucket, super useful.

I did a good post on the Evo forums a while back with some good washing tips, I got pretty obsessed with detailing for a while.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-show-shine/696290-what-your-detailing-washing-routine-3.html#post11353206
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:11:38 by Psybin »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #617 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 17:47:46 »
Thanks!

Good looking out on the Chemical Guys sale. I really like their stuff. Their pads are awesome if you rotary polish/buff.

Ordered a two Blue Bars, gallon of the Luber, pad conditioner, and a gallon of pad cleaner.
I typically order a small spray bottle first, and if I like the product I'll buy a gallon refill.

I have to do a full claybar, polish, wax, seal on both cars this summer.

If you wash your car often buy a gallon of the Max Suds II plus their gallon hand pump, one pump is one oz so you can  dial in exactly how much you use per bucket, super useful.

I did a good post on the Evo forums a while back with some good washing tips, I got pretty obsessed with detailing for a while.

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-x-show-shine/696290-what-your-detailing-washing-routine-3.html#post11353206

Whoa! Awesome man! Yeah they have some sweet looking products. Youre Welcome for the heads up. I would love to try more of there products sometime as well.  :thumb:

I got the Waterless Wash stuff for now.  :cool: I also need to wax soon!

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #618 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:44:07 »
Cleaned the car today, quite happy with the result!

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #619 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 11:58:31 »
Post a full car shot?
Nice and glassy, you use the two bucket method to avoid swirls? Black is hard to keep perfect.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #620 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 12:12:25 »
Well I think I accidently joined a car club.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #621 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 12:30:49 »
Post a full car shot?
Nice and glassy, you use the two bucket method to avoid swirls? Black is hard to keep perfect.

Tell me about it.. My car is black and I realized it was a mistake. Although its my favorite color for a car. I forgot how hard my Black GTI was to keep clean. Lol
Lucky I got the concentrate from chemical guys so I will have 16 gallons instead of 1 gallon of waterless carwash. That will clean it up good anytime I want this summer.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #622 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 12:38:35 »
I've never had a black car but I've taken care of some dark steel grey cars.

Rinsing down thoroughly, using a foam gun, then the two bucket method helps a ton.

(explains the two bucket method)

And if you get swirls learning how to rotary polish is the way to go. It's not hard and the random orbital polishers have a clutch in them that will stop the pad if you put too much pressure, so unless you are SUPER careless you won't burn your paint.  If you like spending some time in the driveway doing detailing stuff it's actually kind of fun/relaxing.

They have a good flow chart here on what steps to take.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #623 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 23:47:25 »
have you guys seen this?

brand new c7 z06 crashed into a tree

Offline Freebird

• SSRCG
« Reply #624 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 06:31:10 »
Post a full car shot?

I will go and take a full shot after I have waxed it today, just waiting for amazon to deliver it to me haha! But here is one from just after the first round.

That was just a simple wash, clay bar then polish job for it to come up like that. I just need to give it a quick once over with some quick detailer to remove whatever dust and particulates accumulated over night then stick a couple of layers of wax on. I went for some dodo juice carnuba wax.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #625 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 08:08:30 »
I'm so lost reading about car waxes, I've literally never washed my car lol... But living in the UK makes that no problem

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #626 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 03:24:30 »
I'm so lost reading about car waxes, I've literally never washed my car lol... But living in the UK makes that no problem

But the dust... That Saharan dust...

:'(

I need to clean my car today...

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 11:19:48 »
And I did. I had a pretty constructive day. Sorry for the huge pictures.

Started out booking someone to come fit tires onto my steels (finally). Only going to cost 192 GBP fitted which is nice for a set of Dunlops.

Started out with a quick wash, I don't do much sealing, snow foam or any of that stuff. Mainly because the paintwork on most of the body panels is truly, truly awful, and also because I don't have a pressure washer and I can't afford loads of nice detailing products. Anyway...

Took the roof rack off, gave the Golf a good wash. Waxed the bonnet and roof because I'm lazy.

Added some stickers too because **** everyone else. Used some Auto Finesse Crystal on the rear windscreen to prep it.

Then prepped my wheels for the tires tomorrow. They have never been fitted to a car, but they are from a Mk 3 so they have been hanging around for a while at the guys place I bought them from, so they were dusty and had acquired some rust.

Ran over them with an Auto Glym wheel brush to get off most of the dust and dirt, then used Auto Finesse Citrus Power to get a bit of the rust and grime off. Here's a before and after, not much but it will make a difference when they are sat on my car for probably the next year.

Stacked them up all ready for the new shoes tomorrow.

Got some tire bags on order from amazon for my old wheels as well, so they don't just sit there.

And so I bought some alloy wheel paint to finish off my roof rack.

Now, I'm usually awful with spray paint. But how hard can spraying something all-black be? Turns out the primer was black...

And there was almost not enough primer for all the pieces. If I were spraying a full set of alloys, there is no way I would have enough primer for even the front of four wheels. But I got everything primed, and the paint is chip-resistant so hopefully it will be perfect.

Just need to buy some wood now, I've got pretty much everything else.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #628 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:14:04 »

tint done after a month of wait!

needs a good wash now. and to remove the front plate holder and remove fiesta badge

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #629 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:15:15 »
Looks good (and clean).
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #630 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:16:02 »
best part is they came to my house, for the same price as a shop!

bad part is, since the car was dirty all the water they used made it dirtier lol

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #631 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:18:36 »
best part is they came to my house, for the same price as a shop!

bad part is, since the car was dirty all the water they used made it dirtier lol

And all the tinting came out perfectly?

I love white cars. Always look good even when dirty. I made the mistake of getting a black one this last time around, and I regret it every day... winter salt and sand, spring/summer pollen.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #632 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:22:00 »
tint looks awesome, my other car in the back with the roof rack had the tint done at a ****ty shop for like 100 bucks, and the difference is crazy. the sentra's tint is brownish when the sun hits it on my ST, it's greyish, how it's suppose to be.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #633 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:22:30 »
Show Image

needs a good wash now. and to remove the front plate holder and remove fiesta badge

Lookin' good!  I'm envious of your ability to remove the front plates.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #634 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:23:07 »
Show Image

Lookin' good!  I'm envious of your ability to remove the front plates.

well, im not suppose to because i'll get a ticket.

but, **** the police.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #635 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:25:50 »
Lots of stuff have been going on in this thread. Good stuff on the VW Kat.

What kind of tint did you go with?

We are bringing the Sportwagen to a place a bit north to get some Llumar Classic put on, 35%, plus Air Blue 80 on the front. Anything ceramic just gets nutty $$.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #636 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:30:12 »
no idea, he did my boss' tesla and i just told him to copy it. it looks darker than my sentra's 15% back 30% front.

so im going to go on a limb and say, 5% back with 15% front

but if you mean brand, no idea.

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #637 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:31:41 »
Nice. I wish we could go darker here but I don't want to push it. Stripping tint and getting it redone is a huge hassle and its low hanging fruit for cops who love chicken **** tickets.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #638 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:35:41 »
yeah cops can be ****s over dumb ****. but since im in cali front windows will be down most of the time. i know ill probably get a ticket for the front plates missing so im thinking of getting sto - n - sho plate bracket to avoid problems

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #639 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:37:37 »
On the wagon I told the dealer to not drill the front bumper. Ordered one of these as soon as I got home.
http://www.usmillworks.com/

On the Evolution same thing, except no fking threaded tow hook so its safety wired to the front grill, sucks but until I come up with a magical solution it'll be there blocking airflow.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #640 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:40:29 »
yeah, ive noticed all STs (in the US at least)coming pre-drilled from factory. makes the car look ugly. and when you drill out the plates it leaves 2 huge holes, so now i gotta spend like 30 bucks for a pair of bumper plugs color matched.

once that is done, time to get HHKB license plate and we good.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #641 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:51:07 »
yeah, ive noticed all STs (in the US at least)coming pre-drilled from factory. makes the car look ugly. and when you drill out the plates it leaves 2 huge holes, so now i gotta spend like 30 bucks for a pair of bumper plugs color matched.

once that is done, time to get HHKB license plate and we good.

Time to crowd-fund a real HHKB to screw on there.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #642 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 17:57:29 »
haha. just use the letters i need for the info

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #643 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:07:10 »
Stuck in traffic for 20mins, second hand hella loud exhausts are the ****test bull**** ever. Had to sit behind some twat chav in some nakered looking 306 with nasty looking wheels

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #644 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:08:23 »
have you guys seen this?

You see the aftermath of the crash?

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #645 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 11:35:19 »
somebody here driving a classic mustang?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #646 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:46:38 »
have you guys seen this?

Yup. Poor c7 :(

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #647 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 12:59:53 »
have you guys seen this?

Yup. Poor c7 :(
Its a brand new car more still more being produced. If it was a limited production I'd be feeling bad.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #648 on: Thu, 28 May 2015, 15:24:08 »
And of course, it rained last night now my car is covered in nice dusty dots where the beading on my bonnet and roof evaporated.

Why do I even ****ing bother.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #649 on: Fri, 29 May 2015, 01:05:40 »
And of course, it rained last night now my car is covered in nice dusty dots where the beading on my bonnet and roof evaporated.

Why do I even ****ing bother.

I mean, you live in England lmao