Author Topic: [GB] SA Retro [Closed]  (Read 527872 times)

Offline teuf

Re: [GB] SA Retro
« Reply #200 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 06:51:55 »
the arrow keys seem 1.25 (maybe 1.5?) as well as END.

Yes, iirc they are 1.25. The granite bonus pack icons ( http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/granite-bonus-pack-icon/ ) had them in the right size. Too bad my KBT Race got stolen before I got a chance to try these keys on it :-/

Offline SL89

« Reply #201 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 09:31:20 »
Matt3o, I meant instead of getting the base set and PETSCII, would it be possible to kit out a board with correctly profiled caps. From PETSCII and other kits I looked more into it and you are right. It is doable, but I'll probably just get PETSCII as a second alpha set regardless.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #202 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 09:46:39 »
I can't imagine how anyone could resist the PETSCII set. Of course, I'm obsessed, so what do I know...

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #203 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:09:22 »
I can't imagine how anyone could resist the PETSCII set. Of course, I'm obsessed, so what do I know...

I want it, I just also want everything else so I have to make a sacrifice on something. I have cut my projected order down to True Retro, PETSCII, Lime, and Alternate Functions. That is still like 200$ so I am thinking about not getting the Alt functions and Lime. I originally wanted both base sets and the PETSCII and Lime and Alt Functions but I came to realize that I had to use some of my paycheck for food and gas. If I could combine shipping on this order with my JTK Debut order I could save a little more money but I want my sets as soon as I can get them and combining a shipment could make me wait longer.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:11:27 by nickheller »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #204 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:20:24 »
Matt3o, I meant instead of getting the base set and PETSCII, would it be possible to kit out a board with correctly profiled caps. From PETSCII and other kits I looked more into it and you are right. It is doable, but I'll probably just get PETSCII as a second alpha set regardless.

The only way to make it work with PETSCII and without one of the base sets is if you have a layout that doesnt use - a space bar, a standard tab key, a standard return key.

For me, I've got the True Retro set and plan on swapping the alphas with the PETSCII. I also got the ErgoDox kit (and few of the blank kits) so I can use the left over alpha keys with them :thumb:

Offline potatowire

« Reply #205 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:32:38 »

I want it, I just also want everything else so I have to make a sacrifice on something. I have cut my projected order down to True Retro, PETSCII, Lime, and Alternate Functions. That is still like 200$ so I am thinking about not getting the Alt functions and Lime. I originally wanted both base sets and the PETSCII and Lime and Alt Functions but I came to realize that I had to use some of my paycheck for food and gas. If I could combine shipping on this order with my JTK Debut order I could save a little more money but I want my sets as soon as I can get them and combining a shipment could make me wait longer.

I'm with you, and I think you made a good compromise. I kept back a little bit to buy food for the kids...

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:33:45 »
Pardon me but what's the significance for the PETSCII?  Since this is a throwback to the commodore what would make me want in on that particular add-on set for historical goodness?

Offline potatowire

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:38:02 »
Pardon me but what's the significance for the PETSCII?  Since this is a throwback to the commodore what would make me want in on that particular add-on set for historical goodness?

Here is pictorial incentive.

Offline filphil

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:08:58 »

Now I can see the dilemma between true retro and burgundy being more difficult. 

Offline potatowire

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:20:56 »

Now I can see the dilemma between true retro and burgundy being more difficult.

I went with True Retro (I switched from Burgundy) and will highlight some modifier keys with color using the Alternate Functions and Lime kits.

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:26:07 »
added C64 picture to OP :)

Offline micr0n

« Reply #211 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 11:55:53 »
Order revised.  Now let's see what kind of damage this had on my wallet.   :eek:

Offline ribo

« Reply #212 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 13:47:39 »
I'd love to see just a R1 Vim key...

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 14:35:00 »
I'd love to see just a R1 Vim key...

They exist, I'm sure you can get one from the classifieds eventually.

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:03:46 »
I'm leaning towards True Retro, but I can't asses whether Burgundy one is better, If I decide to join, I'm also going to buy the Pro Mods and the Apple Pack, so the decision is a hard one :)

For a while in the past, I enjoyed using white on black keycaps with a single white on green Esc, that's why I'm leaning towards the True Retro simplicity

The addition packs are certainly very well though, however it would have been great to be able to buy 1.25/1.75 blanks too (At least the 1.5/2's are available through the ErgoDox packs in general :)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #215 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:06:19 »
I'm leaning towards True Retro, but I can't asses whether Burgundy one is better, If I decide to join, I'm also going to buy the Pro Mods and the Apple Pack, so the decision is a hard one :)

For a while in the past, I enjoyed using white on black keycaps with a single white on green Esc, that's why I'm leaning towards the True Retro simplicity

The addition packs are certainly very well though, however it would have been great to be able to buy 1.25/1.75 blanks too (At least the 1.5/2's are available through the ErgoDox packs in general :)

the true retro set definitely needs some more love sir
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #216 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 20:04:56 »

I'm going to give it a whole lotta love.  :D

Offline jackiecanev2

« Reply #217 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 20:27:20 »
How can I add the petscii pack to my existing order? I don't see a way to modify or add to my order. Am I just... missing something?
| HHKB2 | Viper | 356.2 | Ducati | pitties | scalpels |

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #218 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 20:29:36 »
How can I add the petscii pack to my existing order? I don't see a way to modify or add to my order. Am I just... missing something?

Look on page 6

the add on pack is now live and on the site

if you already have an order and wish to add it, simply place an order, leave it unpaid and email me using the contact form on the site, including the new and old order number, and a paypal email, and i can invoice you for the kit minus postage

if you dont have an order yet, you can order as normal

Offline Quantumcross

« Reply #219 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:17:07 »
Hey I'm new here. I really want to buy this set for my fiancee. Why isn't there a PETSCII base pack? I don't want to have buy the PETSCII set + the base set, that's a LOT of alpha keys that I won't be using...

Is there a way to buy the base set but sub in the PETSCII legends?

Offline jackiecanev2

« Reply #220 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 21:19:05 »

Look on page 6

the add on pack is now live and on the site

if you already have an order and wish to add it, simply place an order, leave it unpaid and email me using the contact form on the site, including the new and old order number, and a paypal email, and i can invoice you for the kit minus postage

if you dont have an order yet, you can order as normal

Yep, I just missed it. Thanks.
| HHKB2 | Viper | 356.2 | Ducati | pitties | scalpels |

Offline blastoid

« Reply #221 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:17:16 »
Hey I'm new here. I really want to buy this set for my fiancee. Why isn't there a PETSCII base pack? I don't want to have buy the PETSCII set + the base set, that's a LOT of alpha keys that I won't be using...

Is there a way to buy the base set but sub in the PETSCII legends?

Short answer, no.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #222 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:57:44 »

If you're going the full hog on your Retro Installed Keyboard, then I want lots of photos/videos showing all that hardcore action  8) .

Remember I'm a dirty old man wanting to see youngsters debase themselves with their keyboards here on Geekhack  ;) .

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #223 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 07:03:50 »

If you're going the full hog on your Retro Installed Keyboard, then I want lots of photos/videos showing all that hardcore action  8) .

Remember I'm a dirty old man wanting to see youngsters debase themselves with their keyboards here on Geekhack  ;) .

i love every post elrick makes 
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Data

« Reply #224 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 07:53:56 »

i love every post elrick makes

He is a treasure.

An inappropriate, over-the-top treasure.

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #225 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:20:18 »
How many people here would be interested in having bump home keys that matched this set? (vs deep dish homes)

Offline rickyhobby

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:09:42 »
I would like to have bump homes to use optionally.  Been using them on my 1976.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:11:38 by rickyhobby »
Cherry blue 104 w/1976 SA | Cherry red 87 w/Dolch DSA

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #227 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 14:07:15 »
How many people here would be interested in having bump home keys that matched this set? (vs deep dish homes)

Yes please... I find the deep dish a little too subtle sometimes, the little bump is super-tactile and easy to feel.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline atectatifern

« Reply #228 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 18:27:23 »
Loving the bumps on 1976 also--would be awesome if SA Retro has bumps on F/J.

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #229 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 18:30:13 »
I imagine that it would be too late to ask to add such a kit onto this group buy, but I was thinking if enough people were interested, it can't be that difficult to manage a 2 key buy.

(or who knows, maybe 4 & 7 home keys too...)

I don't think the original commodore had home keys at all, but I think we can forgive ourselves for not going full retro.

Then again, I was considering getting this set with colemak since for other sets colemak is not making the cut, so there's a lot to think about.

Offline Zebadule

« Reply #230 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 20:39:56 »
I like homing bumps. If there was a set with Colemak homing bump keys, I'd buy 2.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #231 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 21:34:35 »
People, really constructive chat but it would have been most helpful in the interest check phase of SA Retro. With less than two weeks left in the group buy I doubt such kits would get the love that they deserve.

As stated already by Matt3o and Bunny in this thread, a lot of the kits that people already drummed up interest for in the IC (international, colemak etc) are not converting into buys. So your passion for alternate homing keys is going to be taken with a pinch of salt.  :)

Offline blastoid

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 22:22:03 »
People, really constructive chat but it would have been most helpful in the interest check phase of SA Retro. With less than two weeks left in the group buy I doubt such kits would get the love that they deserve.

As stated already by Matt3o and Bunny in this thread, a lot of the kits that people already drummed up interest for in the IC (international, colemak etc) are not converting into buys. So your passion for alternate homing keys is going to be taken with a pinch of salt.  :)

While I totally agree that it's too late in the game for a homing bump argument, earlier in the thread, Bunny said all sets are being made:

we dont have anything like dipping etc, everything gets made no matter what

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #233 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 22:28:17 »

While I totally agree that it's too late in the game for a homing bump argument, earlier in the thread, Bunny said all sets are being made:

we dont have anything like dipping etc, everything gets made no matter what
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was disputing that. I just mean forum post for interest (as seen above) do not equal guaranteed sales.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 00:24:13 »
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like I was disputing that. I just mean forum post for interest (as seen above) do not equal guaranteed sales.

Still two weeks to go hence it shall pick up.  Most are still gathering their moolah in the hope of meeting the current deadline so there is still great desire in my heart that this baby rolls on into SP's factory.

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #235 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 01:20:34 »

what this guy says is so true that I'm almost crying.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 01:35:00 »
Well, CTRL|ALT have got SP to make the Penumbra and Hack'd by Geeks deep dish homing keys and are sending them on to those with those sets, so I'm sure a small run afterwards is possible if enough people buy the set as it is.

So come on, order some more Retro!
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 03:28:22 »

what this guy says is so true that I'm almost crying.

Show Image

Cheer up Matt, Geekhack isn't that cruel or defunct of any loyalty and honour.  The ones who signaled their intention shall buy into this set BUT those evil, miserable pieces of SH1T that constantly demanded these upgrades and add-ons, know who they are.  Pretending to ignore this Group Buy like no one will know their cowardly disgrace when making those demands from Matt3o to include them.

Geekhack never forgets those scum-bags whose words mean absolutely nothing so when they try again to push another person to deliver a Group Buy, I shall be there behind you with a huge, splintery stick ready to impale your rotten lying mouth onto it, you shall know the true meaning of Deep Throating your own lies.

People who make promises don't deserve any sympathy because many do indeed believe in keeping their word and intention, despite monetary troubles because that is what a Man shall always do, stick to his words above all else.

Hate seeing Matt cry due to some liars backing away from the Greatest Retro Set ever to be made, in anyone's lifetime.
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 03:30:07 by Elrick »

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 03:37:42 »
nah! don't make a drama out of it. it's just how things go :) I do not hold a grudge against anybody.

I'm very easy going, it is what it is, I like what I do, I have no regrets :D

Offline Data

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 08:22:02 »

Offline temporal

• gear for the gear god
« Reply #240 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 09:41:10 »
Got my order in. First set, first post, super excited!

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 10:51:08 »

good start, mate :)

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #242 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 18:33:28 »
Two questions..

On the Pro Mods, is the 2u shift key actually row4? I didn't know if you were going to make the "shifts" all row3 like in the regular full retro set.

Is the 3u space bar concave or convex? I'm asking because initially I thought the 3u bar would be convex. But, then I looked at the Signature Plastics SA chart. It looks like they don't make convex keys at 3u.

Offline thelectronicnub

• drowning in keyboards
« Reply #243 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 18:53:45 »
Ordered, can't wait  :)
KUL ES-87 w/MX Greens

B/S/T Thread

Offline FingerPunch

• on the rocks
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 18:59:27 »

As I made evident in my first post regarding home keys for this set, I did not intend to ask for it to be included with the original group buy, otherwise you would be right. If it went forward it would be a separate buy. All we would need are 50 votes for it to go forward, and we wouldn't even need the original 50 people to purchase the kit; I'd buy 4 sets, and at least 4 other sets are already desired above, meaning we're already 1/6th the way there. Have hope.

(ps. we wouldn't actually need 50 purchases in the end, of course, the moq is variable)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 May 2015, 19:06:28 by FingerPunch »

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 22 May 2015, 21:45:55 »

Good choice here.  My first order was the DSA version of Matt's Retro Key-set, simply superb looking on any keyboard  :thumb: .

Offline k1rnu

« Reply #246 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 06:06:57 »
This is my first cap set too. I'm a little worried how the sculpting will affect the feel for gaming but we'll see! They just looked so fine I had to take part in this :D

Offline filphil

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 07:32:25 »
First SA set but love the retro color set.  It's all experimentation at this point so why not?  ;D

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:15:49 »
What's the point of the R3 2.25 shift?
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline Matt3o

• -[起財-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #249 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:22:47 »