Author Topic: Places to buy a good/working Typewriter?  (Read 2567 times)

Offline BaconEggandCheeseBagel

Places to buy a good/working Typewriter?
« on: Sat, 15 July 2017, 21:31:45 »
Don't even know where to start. Any advice would be helpful! Don't know what to look for in a decent typewriter/refurbished project. thanks all

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Places to buy a good/working Typewriter?
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 04:14:31 »
Typewriter shop (they exist), recycling centre, or eBay.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:37:36 »
Typewriter collector here. Ask me any question you might have.

Buying typewriters is risky business, especially online. It is always better to be able to pick one up in person and to take a look at it, that way you can convince yourself of its condition and mechanical shape.
Best would be flea markets I guess, but you will of cause be limited to the selection (or lack thereof) that is available there. Usually flea markets, especially in the states are quite rare on good condition, fully functional, mechanical (manual) typewriters, but there can be very good deals had. You will find plenty of more modern electronic daisy wheel machines in good condition there, but I doubt that's what you're after.

Another good option is craigslist or eBay classifieds. Look for something in your area that you can personally take a look at and pick up. There are a LOT of very good videos on how to use and test a typewriter on YouTube. The most risky part of buying online is shipping. People very often don't know how to properly ship such machines and they often arrive broken (happened to be more then just once).

Another way is to ask around your neighbourhood if someone might have a typewriter laying around, especially older people. You are not gonna pay much (or anything) and very often they are in very good condition.

First I would try to figure out what kind of machine you want. Desktop (office) or portable machines (in a case)? One you have decided on that, mechanical (manual) , electric or electronic? What brand, how old? what condition should it be in, what functions? I can help you out there if you want.

I would not try to recondition a machine myself if you don't heave any prior experience, you might end up using the wrong tools, lubricant and might make matters wore on the long term. It is much easier to just buy a functional one, some are very cheap to be had.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:47:07 »
/Olumin    runs around pilfering typewriters from old people..

tsk tsk tsk..

Offline Olumin

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:47:56 »
Brands I would recommend; assuming your are located in the states or canada, US brands are going to be more readily available to you, and cheaper. I recommend especially Smith Corona. The Smith Corona Silent super is in my opinion one of the best general purpose manual typewriters ever build. Royal also makes some excellent machines, but I only have experience with older models (pre war). Non american brands; Olivetti Lettera 32 or 22 (Italian) are very popular. The best quality you are going to find on German and Swiss made machines. Anything by Olympia or Erika. Olympia SM (3,4,9). The SM 9 is going to be the newest and most advanced, but the older Sm 3 and 4 have nicer curves and are a bit more solid. Erika 10 is probably one of the best machines ever made, buy very expensive and scarce outside Germany. For Swiss brands; Hermes makes excellent machines. Hermes Rocket and baby for ultra portable (suitcase), and the Hermes 3000 for general purpose/desktop (a tad heavy & big for travel). The 3000 is excellent, but expensive.

I am missing a ton here, there is simply SOO much. Maybe you have something in mind already, general design perhaps, or the era it should be from? Post or Pre war (WW2)? Post war machines are of cause going to be younger and generally in much better shape, and usually cheaper. Pre war machines might offer the more attractive/vintage design, glass keys and so on.
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 July 2017, 13:58:37 by Olumin »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 14:50:05 »
are NON good mechanical conditioned ones  mostly irreparable

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 19 July 2017, 21:22:27 »
I was a typewriter collector for awhile.  Only got one left.  Olumin is spot on.  Germany has some great European models floating around, I think the European models of old were better than the American models of old.

Buying them online is hit or miss because many people can mask the quality of the item with great photos.  I got a screwed a couple of times.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Olumin

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 01:54:26 »
What machine do you have left and why did you choose it?

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 06:06:52 »
What machine do you have left and why did you choose it?

Facit 1620.  I keep it because it's cursive, in great condition (both the typewriter and case), feels good, and I think it's nice to keep a cursive around.  Except I barely use it.  So not sure why I still keep it around.   It's cool to have, though.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing