Author Topic: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Update 4/7/18)  (Read 15705 times)

Offline lordgiblite

[IC] DSA Moonlit (Update 4/7/18)
« on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 18:17:58 »
Hello,
This is a set that's been in the works for awhile, both in my brain and it floated around reddit a lot about a month ago.
But that wasn't enough so I bring the set here after some revamping to get the ball rolling again (and get it rolling right)

183056-0
Ooooo a fancy render/teaser, courtesy of CQ_Cumbers new rendering service site kbrenders.com (I love it! Thanks!)

The inspiration for this set is two-fold, it's from a cloudy night sky in the country and off of a childhood claymation show called Wallace and Gromit where they go to the moon.

The moon is made of cheese.

A Few Things About the Set Itself
  • DSA profile (I used DSA as this is my first set and the uniform profile makes compatibility easier on my end)
  • Doubleshot ABS
  • This set is design around compatibility but I know I may have forgotten or left out keys for some layouts (let me know what they are)

Now Let's Get Into the Kits

*All kits are continually being worked on to offer the best compatibility without making you buy a thousand different kits*

BASE SET
193324-1

MODIFIER KIT
193326-2

NUMPAD KIT

NON-STANDARD & ISO KIT
193330-4

SPACEBAR KIT
193332-5

40% & PLANCK KIT
193334-6

ERGODOX KIT
193336-7

ACCENT KIT
193338-8

NOVELTIES

Imgur Album!! -->https://imgur.com/a/DPUgP

Render Stuffs!
**Please note these were created with the web service Kbrenders.com and some the legends got messed up, I am putting these here until I can get better renders for you!**
184926-10
184928-11
193419-12

Currently Working On
  • Matching the correct font and mold to each set, hopefully most of it is done mold-wise
  • Finish Novelty Designs, original designs were not on par with what they should have been and are being re-designed from the ground up
  • Creating the 100% no-longer-needs-to-be-updated kit selection to offer best price to cap ratio!

What's the Timeline?
  • IC, getting any sets finalized and see if it's worth bring this to GB
  • GET ALL DEM SEXY RENDERS (because you all love your renders) <--We are here (gearing up for some more full board renders of the most professional quality)
  • Figure out vendor situations, get you all the most reliable way of getting the caps you paid for Done!
  • Reach GB and make everyone happy
  • Make everyone wait the 12 week lead time I have been provided from SP (will reconfirm this timeline prior to GB happening)
  • Do all the quality stuff and start shipping the sets
  • Type on my new keyset  :D

What's Your  Part in all  This?
So you are here to either:
  • Tear me a new one and say that this set is garbage, or
  • Say this still needs work but you kinda like it.

UPDATE!!! 4/7/18
The set it not dead! I have been pretty busy with life stuff, starting a new position at work and I want this set to be 100% ready for a GB so if life hits again I have all the answers and can quickly help everyone out.
  • I have gotten some guaranteed novelty designs now and they are up! May get one or two depending on how I feel, but these were confirmed possible by SP
  • The kits have been slightly modified, please give them a once over to see if there is anything missing (or redundant) or anything that you want to see there!
  • I have plans to get higher quality renders to really show off this kit, along with making it more known in the community so that when the GB launches it will hit MOQ easily!
  • There is a vendor in place, but I'm going to keep it a secret as no official GB talks have happened between us as the set has been delayed
  • Keep an eye out for the next month or two as I aim to update this thread at least every other week with what's happening
  • I hope to have the GB ready around June as you all might have some hurting wallets with some of the great sets being released soon (I know I'm a great guy)
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 April 2018, 09:52:44 by lordgiblite »

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 18:43:28 »
Looking great!!! :thumb: - Perhaps add little dividers between the kits on imgur so its easier to pick them out brother
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 18:45:01 by Koobaczech »

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 18:48:43 »
🔥

🔥

🔥

think that sums it up.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 18:58:14 »
I love it.  Similar to what I had for a runner up submission to Massdrop (cool gray emphasis with yellow accent).

I personally would like to see the colors reversed just because I really like contrast on the alphas and it sets the colorway even further apart from Dolch.

Anyway... I like my colors better, but if you're going to do the legwork, I would totally buy a set  :thumb:

Love me some classic colorways in DSA.  Keep up the good work.

DSA "Depth Charge" using stock SP colors:
180259-0
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 October 2017, 19:02:20 by reececonrad »

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 21:37:59 »
Looking great!!! :thumb: - Perhaps add little dividers between the kits on imgur so its easier to pick them out brother

Thanks :D I went ahead and added the dividers and made the background a little darker (I think it looks better that way)

I love it.  Similar to what I had for a runner up submission to Massdrop (cool gray emphasis with yellow accent).

I personally would like to see the colors reversed just because I really like contrast on the alphas and it sets the colorway even further apart from Dolch.

Anyway... I like my colors better, but if you're going to do the legwork, I would totally buy a set  :thumb:

(Attachment Link)

I really do enjoy your color scheme but I don't feel that it captures what inspired this set, If you every stare at the moon on a cloudy night away from all the light pollution cities and houses create this set makes a lot of sense. I have tried to take some pictures from around where I live but I simply cannot get a good picture! Also, google doesn't really have any good images either. The yellow will be an ode to the Wallace and Gromit special with it representing cheese (That will be updated as I get the novelties where I want them).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 21:45:49 »

Thanks :D I went ahead and added the dividers and made the background a little darker (I think it looks better that way)

(Attachment Link)

I really do enjoy your color scheme but I don't feel that it captures what inspired this set, If you every stare at the moon on a cloudy night away from all the light pollution cities and houses create this set makes a lot of sense. I have tried to take some pictures from around where I live but I simply cannot get a good picture! Also, google doesn't really have any good images either. The yellow will be an ode to the Wallace and Gromit special with it representing cheese (That will be updated as I get the novelties where I want them).

are the colors gray and black, or is that a pale blue and dark gray?

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 21:52:02 »
are the colors gray and black, or is that a pale blue and dark gray?

GSM for the alphas (the same in your set) and NN for the modifiers which is a dark gray/black

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 22:51:03 »
This is the inspiration?

Not a valid vimeo URL

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 00:09:41 »
This is the inspiration?

Not a valid vimeo URL

YES! Oh man do I love me some Wallace and Gromit. But it's only the inspiration for the cheese novelty cap and the yellow accents.

Offline wongie

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 03:40:44 »
  • Doubleshot ABS is the goal but I am willing to go for dye-sub PBT

Good to see that you've made progress on this since your initial drop kinda fell through, i'm still 100% behind this but that being said please stick to ABS!!

Offline WarmCat

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 16 October 2017, 08:22:36 »
Love the colours!
Couple of opinions/ideas:
If you’re going to have a small font on your alphas, maybe try lower case, might look better.
A lot of set designers make this mistake: you have no 1.5u Meta keys. The main purpose of a key labelled “meta” is so that it is not OS-specific, however, mac and unix keyboards have the meta key closest to the spacebar (where windows users have their alt). For a good example of this look at the HHKB.
Anyhoo, not a criticism as such, it’s a great set and well done trying to cover all possibilities!

Offline midnightrun

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 02:18:43 »
Waiting for the GB.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 October 2017, 15:12:43 »
  • Doubleshot ABS is the goal but I am willing to go for dye-sub PBT

Good to see that you've made progress on this since your initial drop kinda fell through, i'm still 100% behind this but that being said please stick to ABS!!

I do plan on keeping ABS Double-shot unless an entire crowd of people say it's make or break for them, I really don't want to screw up the colors!

Love the colours!
Couple of opinions/ideas:
If you’re going to have a small font on your alphas, maybe try lower case, might look better.
A lot of set designers make this mistake: you have no 1.5u Meta keys. The main purpose of a key labelled “meta” is so that it is not OS-specific, however, mac and unix keyboards have the meta key closest to the spacebar (where windows users have their alt). For a good example of this look at the HHKB.
Anyhoo, not a criticism as such, it’s a great set and well done trying to cover all possibilities!

• The font size isn't what it will end up being, I'll be using the standard SP font so they will be bigger.
  • Thanks for the knowledge drop on the META key, I've added 2 of them to the non-standard kit :)

Waiting for the GB.

Thanks  :D

Offline lordgiblite

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Accent Kit Added)
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:14:02 »
Let me know what you all think of the added Accent Kit.  :D

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 16:46:46 »
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 October 2017, 17:59:23 »
Would love to see this as an SA but awesome colourway all the same

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 16:33:22 »
Looks good!

Would love to see this as an SA but awesome colourway all the same

Honestly I was initially thinking about doing this in an SA profile but 2 things stopped me.
  • As my first keyset it's much easier to get a feel for how it works using a profile like DSA where it doesn't matter what row they are.
  • The lead time on SA is so ridiculously long that I didn't want to make this a set that people wonder when it's coming, especially since this is my first contribution to the community and that would reflect poorly on how I actually intend to run things.

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 16:57:05 »
If it goes well, SA as a follow up would be pretty nice. :)

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 22 October 2017, 18:29:24 »
If it goes well, SA as a follow up would be pretty nice.

That was certainly an idea I was bouncing around.

Offline wongie

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 07:32:03 »
Any chance of a 1u Ctrl and Alt being included in the non-standard kit? 65% boards with 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.5, 1,1,1,1,1,1 for the bottom row are coming popular, as it stands one would need to purchase an  additional Planck kit making it a more costly proposition.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 09:18:21 »
Any chance of a 1u Ctrl and Alt being included in the non-standard kit? 65% boards with 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 6.5, 1,1,1,1,1,1 for the bottom row are coming popular, as it stands one would need to purchase an  additional Planck kit making it a more costly proposition.

Done  :thumb:
Don't know why I didn't think of that when I have a board with that layout lol

Offline lordgiblite

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Interest Form Up!)
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 18:48:07 »
Added Interest Form in OP or click here: https://goo.gl/forms/uZ97aTOGp3zARTqH2

Thanks for looking :D

Offline lordgiblite

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Interest Form Up and some updates)
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 11:56:11 »
Updated the Kits, Interest Form has not yet changed to reflect new kits yet updated, and added ErogDox Kit.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 October 2017, 12:07:25 by lordgiblite »

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Kits posted, feedback wanted!)
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 19:09:57 »
Yooo wheres the cheese ESC key at though! :D

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 19:25:58 »
Yooo wheres the cheese ESC key at though! :D

It's in the works! I'm refining all the novelties from version 1 but haven't found anytime to get at Inkscape recently. I've been working a lot on the set from my laptop and for some reason it won't allow me to do anything with Inkscape lol so I'm stuck with my desktop at home (which I prefer honestly)

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 November 2017, 22:58:52 »
Wonderful, i really liked the cheese novelty. Hey if anything at all, run a GB for it like Krelbit does for his watsers haha

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 November 2017, 13:27:27 »
Wonderful, i really liked the cheese novelty. Hey if anything at all, run a GB for it like Krelbit does for his watsers haha

Hmmm..you give me too many ideas Koob  ;D The novelties are starting to take shape now though! I want to include at least 4 in the renders I get hopefully in the next month.

Offline lordgiblite

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Render Teaser?)
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 12:16:41 »
I know I've been afk for a little bit (sorry), been a busy month on top of the holiday stuff this last week. Updates should be coming more regularly now as they happen.

Will be getting in touch with vendors next month and getting some more renders of the set on different boards.

Thanks for looking :)

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 12:33:50 »
Gah, that render looks so good man!

Offline mbljs5555

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 15:33:30 »
Ahh this is the one with the cheese color keycaps... Looks really nice but haven't tried DSA profile yet!

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 27 November 2017, 17:25:54 »
Gah, that render looks so good man!

I'm glad you found the render lol I didn't notice until I got to work that the images were off and I wouldn't be able to fix them until break! Glad you like it :)

Ahh this is the one with the cheese color keycaps... Looks really nice but haven't tried DSA profile yet!

That it is! I have DSA on my Let's Split and really enjoy the profile, it also just looks really nice. I haven't tried SA or a GMK set but have them on the way eventually. And don't forget there's always the possibility of a round 2 in a different profile  ;)

Offline lordgiblite

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (More Renders??)
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 01:49:40 »
Added some of my renders gathered during Kbrenders.com short life span. Thank you CQ_Cumber for the service.

Hope you all enjoy the new renders!

Offline Kafka

• i like clean things
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 04:00:02 »

This looks dope, dsa isn't my cup of tea though.

(GMK pls)

Offline poolside

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 07:20:12 »
Nice retro colors on that TKL render  :thumb:

Offline Koobaczech

• Pearlboards
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 22 December 2017, 10:03:28 »
That TKL looks so hot! Mann lets get this going. What's next in this project bud?

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 08:42:24 »

This looks dope, dsa isn't my cup of tea though.

(GMK pls)

I have thought about making this a GMK set in all reality as when I first started making this I had very little knowledge of row profile and really how the heck to even design a set!
I plan on exploring GMK a little further as well because 1) it's a very popular profile and 2) the work that Mito has done with GMK has opened a lot of doors as far as making GMK a versatile set.

Nice retro colors on that TKL render  :thumb:

Thanks  :D I was really happy how they turned out!

That TKL looks so hot! Mann lets get this going. What's next in this project bud?
Show Image

Thanks Koob! Next on the list is to get the list of novelties I want completely finished and then actually finish making them in lol
I hope to have more progress done in a few weeks after all the holiday stuff has died down, but I wouldn't expect much until after the first week in January because my brother's getting married and as the Best Man I can't devote all my time to this  :D

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 09:45:53 »
Man, that’s a bummer; I’ve wanted this set since you first setup an IC but I’m not interested in GMK. :(

Offline wongie

« Reply #37 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 12:37:39 »
I hope to have more progress done in a few weeks after all the holiday stuff has died down, but I wouldn't expect much until after the first week in January because my brother's getting married and as the Best Man I can't devote all my time to this  :D

Kill two birds with one stone by designing some commemorative Moonlit wedding novelty caps to go with the set to present as a wedding present for your brother.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #38 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 22:23:45 »
Man, that’s a bummer; I’ve wanted this set since you first setup an IC but I’m not interested in GMK. :(

For you I will keep it DSA, I have a special novelty just for you and I don't want all that time to go to waste!

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Offline trabbit

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 21:33:28 »
Looks great, could you pls put yellow escape or some other yellow keys in Novelties?

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 01:57:31 »

For you I will keep it DSA, I have a special novelty just for you and I don't want all that time to go to waste!

Do what you think is best for the set; I’ll throw my support in regardless because I really adore this color way and appreciate all of the effort you’ve put in. I’m just partial to DSA over GMK, but I’d rather see this come to fruition in any capacity my man. Can’t wait to see that novelty too, I know you’ve been at it for a while now!

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 08:57:13 »
Looks great, could you pls put yellow escape or some other yellow keys in Novelties?

The yellow escape is in the accent kit, along with the light gray :)

Do what you think is best for the set; I’ll throw my support in regardless because I really adore this color way and appreciate all of the effort you’ve put in. I’m just partial to DSA over GMK, but I’d rather see this come to fruition in any capacity my man. Can’t wait to see that novelty too, I know you’ve been at it for a while now!

I believe DSA is probably a good place for this set to be, that way it can be combined with DSA Starry Night if people want to mix and match! And I'd keep a look out for a few novelties showing up in January after all the holiday (and wedding) stuff dies down for me.

Offline swenbearswen

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 22:15:17 »
Looks great, I really appreciate that the alternates kit has a 2u shift.

Offline swenbearswen

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 26 December 2017, 22:22:20 »
Also for compatibility reasons (and my own personal bias as I'm looking for a DSA set with white on black mods) I think DSA is the best way to go.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 27 December 2017, 12:56:21 »
Looks great, I really appreciate that the alternates kit has a 2u shift.

I've really tried to get as many layouts as possible represented with the kits and still have all of them hopefully hit MOQ (that's why ISO is combined in the alt kit)
I'm glad you like it! Hoping to get this rolling close to GB in Feb/March, you know, all them tax returns lol

Also for compatibility reasons (and my own personal bias as I'm looking for a DSA set with white on black mods) I think DSA is the best way to go.

I've basically decided DSA is here to stay. It offers the easiest as far as compatibility and the lead time from SP isn't too bad (especially compared to SA!)

Offline SirWalross

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 08:03:58 »
Would a Norde/International Kit be possible especially for an ISO-DE Layout?

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 12 February 2018, 09:57:59 »
Would a Norde/International Kit be possible especially for an ISO-DE Layout?

I can certainly try, the hardest part of adding Nordic support is that that set may not be able to reach MOQ or at least a reasonable price.
If Nordic is only a few extra keys that I can throw in then that's a different story too, I will definitely take a gander at it though  :thumb:

Offline swenbearswen

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 23:03:31 »
How is this set coming? really interested in picking up some white-on-black mods for myself.

Offline lordgiblite

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 23:09:45 »
How is this set coming? really interested in picking up some white-on-black mods for myself.
It's still going well :) been doing a lot of stuff on the side without updates since I've been busy changing Job positions and a wedding, and my wife and I's essential oil business had a lot come up too. So this set has had a sort of silenced update process but I've gotten novelties pretty close to being nailed down and am saving up for some really nice renders as well as gearing  up for making the set itself more known in the community. So yeah lots of stuff going on still and really glad you're interested :D hoping to have an official update in a few weeks with lots of new info!

Offline ChrisSwires

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 10:39:55 »
I'm in. That is all.

Offline RavenPanther

« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 21:58:56 »

Offline lordgiblite

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Update 4/7/18)
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 07 April 2018, 09:59:26 »
Hey everyone! I got an update for you!!! It's also in the main post if too if you want to stare at some of the pictures there too!

UPDATE!!! 4/7/18
The set it not dead! I have been pretty busy with life stuff, starting a new position at work and I want this set to be 100% ready for a GB so if life hits again I have all the answers and can quickly help everyone out.
  • I have gotten some guaranteed novelty designs now and they are up! May get one or two depending on how I feel, but these were confirmed possible by SP
  • The kits have been slightly modified, please give them a once over to see if there is anything missing (or redundant) or anything that you want to see there!
  • I have plans to get higher quality renders to really show off this kit, along with making it more known in the community so that when the GB launches it will hit MOQ easily!
  • There is a vendor in place, but I'm going to keep it a secret as no official GB talks have happened between us as the set has been delayed
  • Keep an eye out for the next month or two as I aim to update this thread at least every other week with what's happening
  • I hope to have the GB ready around June as you all might have some hurting wallets with some of the great sets being released soon (I know I'm a great guy)

I'm in. That is all.

Seconded.

Thanks you too! I'm not done with this and I will for sure be making it happen!![/list]

Offline HamKenobi

Re: [IC] DSA Moonlit (Update 4/7/18)
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 08 April 2018, 20:47:31 »
You should consider making moon phase novelties. For the num row or numpad