Author Topic: Buy or Bail? Asus PG279Q gaming IPS @ 144Hz  (Read 4400 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Buy or Bail? Asus PG279Q gaming IPS @ 144Hz
« on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 09:49:48 »
What do you guys think of the Asus PG279Q (27") 144Hz IPS gaming monitor? I saw that panel is relatively uniform and little backlight bleed and that at 144Hz (opposed to everything that Dell pumps out in 2017).

I wanna buy a second screen, to accompany my Dell U2713HM. Now.. I saw that my Dell already achieves 60fps, but without gsync.

I also thought about ultra-widescreen LG monitor.. but that is not gsync ready and I guess that my 980 Ti wouldn't be happy driving so many pixels.

EDIT: Or the PA279Q (not sure which is better... PG has g-sync).
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 April 2017, 10:21:31 by iLLucionist »
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline Sniping

Re: Buy or Bail? Asus PG279Q gaming IPS @ 144Hz
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 19:21:48 »
check out ncx's reviews on wecravegamestoo, you'll find some good comparisons there

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 19:29:48 »
I had this monitor and ended up returning it. I was lucky enough to get a good panel when the QC was crap. That wasn't what bothered me, the monitor was great. I had an issue with ULMB which was never addressed. ULMB runs at 120hz and its a hard cap. The problem is most refresh rates run 1 frame higher, ie 120=121 144=145 165=166. I could get around this by creating a custom refresh rate of 119, but it bothered my OCD. Alot of my friends are buying the ViewSonic XG2703-GS. It is a great monitor and runs a little cheaper than the asus and acer. I would purchase one, but I'm waiting for the 144hz 4k expected later this year. Also, get the GSYNC, thats hands down the best feature for a monitor if you have a nvidia card.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 19:44:22 »
I had this monitor and ended up returning it. I was lucky enough to get a good panel when the QC was crap. That wasn't what bothered me, the monitor was great. I had an issue with ULMB which was never addressed. ULMB runs at 120hz and its a hard cap. The problem is most refresh rates run 1 frame higher, ie 120=121 144=145 165=166. I could get around this by creating a custom refresh rate of 119, but it bothered my OCD. Alot of my friends are buying the ViewSonic XG2703-GS. It is a great monitor and runs a little cheaper than the asus and acer. I would purchase one, but I'm waiting for the 144hz 4k expected later this year. Also, get the GSYNC, thats hands down the best feature for a monitor if you have a nvidia card.

hahahahaha.. that's not actual OCD, what you have is call stick up the ass..

But I want to point out that you're being stupid, because at any point in time the computer is rarely generating exactly 121 or 120 or 119..

Because the drawing of each frame takes variable amount of time,  so at the sync stage it might REPORT a number, but  it could just as well be 118 or 115 or even 100..   but when you have a software looking at what's being generated,  it takes data at a polling rate,  and if during that time interval it's close or split then it will report an average rather than the TRUE fps..

In conclusion,  you're looking for love in the wrong place.. this is not a situation where socket a fits into slot a.. hahahahaha

Offline swangful

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 19:52:47 »
I went with an acer XB271HU

27 inch
IPS
gsync
144hz

mine has no bleeding or dead pixels...i did however make a user error to not let me utilize the monitor to its fullest potential when not playing games lol. In case you are curious, this is where I found out: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/5y4b5p/ive_been_unknowingly_running_my_144hz_gsync/

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 20:03:55 »

hahahahaha.. that's not actual OCD, what you have is call stick up the ass..

But I want to point out that you're being stupid, because at any point in time the computer is rarely generating exactly 121 or 120 or 119..

Because the drawing of each frame takes variable amount of time,  so at the sync stage it might REPORT a number, but  it could just as well be 118 or 115 or even 100..   but when you have a software looking at what's being generated,  it takes data at a polling rate,  and if during that time interval it's close or split then it will report an average rather than the TRUE fps..

In conclusion,  you're looking for love in the wrong place.. this is not a situation where socket a fits into slot a.. hahahahaha

I'm not claiming to be an expert in the way refresh rate works, but I was speaking out of personal experience with the monitor. How am I being stupid? I reinstall windows usually once every 6 months and I knew I'd forget to do it. Why are you being a ****? lol

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 20:08:15 »

I'm not claiming to be an expert in the way refresh rate works, but I was speaking out of personal experience with the monitor. How am I being stupid? I reinstall windows usually once every 6 months and I knew I'd forget to do it. Why are you being a ****? lol

Hhahaha.. ur taking this too seriously cocopah..

relax..

hahahaha

I apologize for presenting my statement in a way that has --offended-- your sensibility.

I was merely attempting to convey that there is no such thing as 120fps.

Because if you have frame 1 taking 2ms to draw and frame 2 taking a full 8ms to draw..

Then a perfectly even frame rate is meaningless,  because the actual position of the objects in the engine are not always coupled to what you can see..

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 24 April 2017, 20:11:46 »

Hhahaha.. ur taking this too seriously cocopah..

relax..

hahahaha

I apologize for presenting my statement in a way that has --offended-- your sensibility.

I was merely attempting to convey that there is no such thing as 120fps.

Because if you have frame 1 taking 2ms to draw and frame 2 taking a full 8ms to draw..

Then a perfectly even frame rate is meaningless,  because the actual position of the objects in the engine are not always coupled to what you can see..

Okay, I thought this was turning into reddit haha. I don't know what exactly was going on, I just know when I turned the refresh rate to 120 and turn on ulmb it would turn the screen black. Only way around it was to make a 119hz refresh. I know I was being petty about having to create a custom refresh rate, considering it only takes a few minutes. I just feel if I'm going to pay the premium price for a high end monitor it should work out of the box as intended.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 00:31:19 »

That Viewsonic you talk about is like 150 euro's MORE expensive in the Netherlands. What is so darn special about it compared to the Asus / Acer??

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 02:05:11 »
they're all pretty much the same,  but the idea is, you want something that can do low latency ULMB with a higher brightness..

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 09:03:54 »
they're all pretty much the same,  but the idea is, you want something that can do low latency ULMB with a higher brightness..

Intuitively I have the best feeling with the Asus... Acer has always been shady for me even though it gets slightly better reviews.

But why are these bad boys so expensive? The PG279Q is around 800 euro's here. By comparison, the newest 27" Dell IPS is 440.

Offline Cocopah

• Lurker Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 April 2017, 13:02:56 »

Intuitively I have the best feeling with the Asus... Acer has always been shady for me even though it gets slightly better reviews.

But why are these bad boys so expensive? The PG279Q is around 800 euro's here. By comparison, the newest 27" Dell IPS is 440.

I would go with which ever one is the cheapest between the 3. They all use the same panel by AU Optronics.