Author Topic: What Other Hobbies Do You Have?  (Read 41033 times)

Offline KillerBee

What Other Hobbies Do You Have?
« on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:04:31 »
Besides the keyboards what other things do you guys (or gals) have as a hobby?

I enjoy home audio alot (audiophile) I am also a member at
thecarversite.com and audiokarma.org

I own a 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86) as my weekend hobby car

Video Games too keep me sometimes busy: I have a 360 a NES and a Super Nintendo. I am a member of atariage.com

I have a 1980's Torpado Italian road bike that I use from time to time.

I wanted to be a maritime historian but that never solidified yet I still have many books and stuff from the great transatlantic era (That is Not Titanic, thats her sister ship Olympic)
IBM Model M 1386304 Nov. 1985

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:10:54 »
I'm fairly obsessed with films; especially 80s and early 90s. Love a lot of foreign and indie films too. Not a big fan of most current Hollywood stuff.

I also like foreign travel (I have been going to different countries in Europe for the past 3 years and am trying to keep that up). I've been to 8 countries outside the USA in all.

And, I play some acoustic guitar, love tons of music esp. punk rock and love computers. I also like spending time outdoors, swimming, hiking, etc.

Offline Pylon

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:16:32 »
I'm interested in:
Computers
Typefaces
Photography (esp. film photography)
Civil Aviation
Public Transit
Jesus

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:18:43 »
Quote from: Pylon;238070
I'm interested in:
Computers
Typefaces
Photography (esp. film photography)
Civil Aviation
Public Transit
Jesus

I didn't mention it, but my relationship with God/Jesus is pretty important to me.
Religious arguments on this board can get fairly messy though, so I usually don't mention it.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:44:04 »
  • Road Biking (I took a 23 day trip across half of Japan early this summer)
  • Downhill Skiing
  • Karate (various kinds, Butokukan, Shotokan, Goju Ryu)
  • Tiling Window Managers (I wrote my own, and in the process a VT100 terminal emulator too)
  • Qt (that one was obvious...*cough* avatar *cough)
  • Linux
  • Build Systems (cmake, scons, autohell, etc.)
  • Packaging (pacman, rpm, debs)
  • Android (Amdroid)
  • Ampache (and building my music collection)
  • Working/Sleeping posture (When coding I use a standing desk, also sleep on the floor, preferably something hard)
  • Keyboard layouts in Linux (Just need a little more research, and I'll be able to post the most comprehensive document on the subject on the internet in English, well and the time to write it) [yeah, yeah it's related to geekhack, but I spent a great portion of my summer researching and implementing xkb, xmodmap, and loadkeys]
  • Singing and Piano (I would've went to university for music, but then realized unless I want to teach, which I don't, there's not much money in it, unless you're lucky...)
  • Opera (no not the web browser, a career path I didn't choose to take)
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:44:21 »
i continually evaluate what everyday carry (EDC) means to me with regards to the tools i use and carry with me. that led me to join edcforums.

i recently got interested again with flashlights (after a 4 year absence) and that led me to join candlepowerforums.

i guess the only hobby i've always had not die or enter indefinite hibernation periods is modding or making anything and everything, although most of those are simple and ambitionless, and arguably just supplement and enhance my other hobbies, so maybe this isn't a hobby at all! i'm confused.

Offline VentiLator

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:53:08 »
currently its just keyboards :( and whisky, if that counts.

i once was into building model airplanes, ships etc.
i also used to read a lot (i still do, but not as much as i used to)
i'm not into any kind of sports, i used to be in a climbing course for 3 years. i like jogging and biking and i'm eating quite healthy :D but these are just things i use to do, not real hobbies.

its: school - training - learning (ok, i'm lying) - eating - interwebz - interwebz - keyboards - interwebz - sleeping - GOTO its
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 13:58:49 »
Gaming, predominantly. Most of it is done on my custom-built desktop, but I've also racked up a small collection of older consoles.

Cars are too expensive of a hobby for me to get into, even moreso than computers and all the depreciation that comes with them....or the repair costs if something goes wrong, not to mention the insurance and god knows what else. (Also, if I screw up in RBR and send my car rolling over its roof and off a cliff, I'm still alive and can just hit restart like nothing ever happened.)

I could basically distill my chief interests as thus: games, technology, and good food. (You have to eat to survive, so why not make it enjoyable?)

Offline WhiteRice

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 14:08:45 »
I was really into personal fitness. I went from 210 to 170 in eight months. I hurt my back six months back, and dropped to about 160.

Trying to get my back sorted out and get back into the gym.

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 14:10:26 »
Yeah, those forums, they will fix you up real good if you need a lighter-weight wallet (figuratively and literally).

Quote from: ripster;238092
Damn you, damn you, damn you.

Just when I thought I was happy with my ghetto rigged Fisher Space Pen I see this titanium model for a measly $60.

I'll post a pic of my favorite AAA Cree from DXtreme if it ever arrives.

I myself would be partial to the $5 space pen off instructables, if I didn't lose pens so often.

Also, may I request that you rehost that picture instead of hotlinking? The EDC communities also have a frugal netiquette mindset.

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 14:18:58 »
Audiophile, eh? I hope you've purchased your Isonatu Pillar of Darkness.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 14:28:14 »
Star Wars costuming and prop replicas. I am more of a maker than a collector of ready-made items. It does involve a lot of bickering on Internet forums over tiny little details of props that exist only on celluloid and no longer exist in the real world. It involves collecting rare parts to build your stuff of, and acquiring casts of items that other hobbyists have created. It involves all sorts of crafts: I have had to try everything from metalworking to needlepoint. I have also sculpt, cast and sold items made of plastic.

Showing off in a Star Wars costume in front of people can be a lot of fun, especially when interacting with kids. An important part of this is also that our fan groups collect money for charity, not ourselves.

I used to be more into computer programming as a hobby years ago. Now, it is only my career.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 November 2010, 07:32:09 by Findecanor »

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 14:30:35 »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline elservo

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 15:20:32 »
I spend most of my free time making fun of people that aren't as cool as me.  It's rather exhausting.  

I also enjoy tennis.
Majestouch Tactile Click (Work)
AEKII(Home)

Offline elservo

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 15:27:31 »
Haha, I just play tennis so that I can swear and be generally blustery.  

As for my actual hobbies, that would be the regular dude stuff.  Fantasy basketball, video games, my Honda Ruckus, napping, being generally annoying, and writing.  I usually do all my hobbies at once.  Clears the head with minimal spine damage.
AEKII(Home)

Offline RickyJ

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:03:28 »
Besides computers and electronics......

Little bit of this:

Little bit of that:

And a little bit of this:

And a little bit of that:

This seasonally:

This daily:
Currently GMMK Pro: lubed 68g U4T, FR4 plate, extra gaskets, etc

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:08:17 »
Quote from: muchadoaboutnothing;238105
Audiophile, eh? I hope you've purchased your Isonatu Pillar of Darkness.
Ah, the voodoo department, always good for a laugh. :rofl:
And there's a familiar name from my Head-Fi days: Patrick82 has contributed a bunch of customer testimonials for their other stuff - looks like the guy is as much over the top as ever. :D

My music collection is still being enjoyed but currently frozen because (a) it was getting more and more difficult to decide what to throw off of the mobile player so new stuff will fit (even with LAME -V 4 on an 8 gigger) and (b) space on my main harddrive is already tight as-is and I've been procrastinating an upgrade for ages. (Basically I'd need a whole new PC but I'm too broke for one that would meet my needs right now and really need to find a job.)

Been dabbling in shortwave radio stuff again lately, one of my oldest hobbies following computers. I was looking at getting a ham license last year, but here in this place there'd be no way of getting on the air on 80 or 160 without vastly exceeding radiation limits. Who knows where I'll find work anyway...

I tend to be going back and forth between music / audio, computer stuff (mostly 'boards these days) and radio every few months, with some overlap. Quite enough for one guy, IMO. I do have a general interest in higher-quality things, so besides my 'boards I have a decent A3-sized scanner (handy for schematics) and flashlight, but wouldn't count that as a hobby.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:12:32 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:25:02 »
Quote from: KillerBee;238060
I own a 1985 Toyota Corolla GT-S (AE86) as my weekend hobby car
Show Image

Haha, I used to have a "Hachi Roku" it was an '86 that I bought for $400 at an auto auction as a fun project.  The wife finally wanted it gone, it was such a fun car to drive.  I threw it online with a "First $1500 takes it" and I was hammered with offers within hours, the first guy to get it sped from out of state with a trailer and happily bought it.

Quote from: RickyJ;238134
And a little bit of this:
Show Image

And a little bit of that:
Show Image

I autocrossed a MKIII GTI VR6 and everyone loved watching the 3 wheel motion around the turns.  This is my GTI, I can only find an Avatar size image though:
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline unicomp

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:37:04 »
I am often perplexed at what my hobbies are as I have quite a lot of free time, then I realise that I spend a very large proportion of my day just generally lurking on the Internet. I feel that I gain very little from what I do, however in the past few years I have lost desire to do very much. Nothing really excites me.

I sometimes wonder what the people who I see on a daily basis like to do. These people have the same kind of free time as I do but I am sure that they do something. The strangest thing is that I seem to feel completely nonchalant about my predicament, I know that I should feel sad that I seem to meander through life but I just don't.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:47:58 »
i just started to learn how to horribly solder (a hundred cherries will do that) and fiancee wants to understand electronics, so we're both gonna have fun with this
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3814337&filterName=Type&filterValue=Learning+kits

i dont' know if i can consider a hobby since i'm gonna use it for fun while she'll use it as off the cuff work knowledge.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 16:58:44 »
Quote from: nanu;238083
i continually evaluate what everyday carry (EDC) means to me with regards to the tools i use and carry with me. that led me to join edcforums

Me too.

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 19:07:42 »
Quote from: didjamatic;238141
The wife finally wanted it gone, it was such a fun car to drive.

Funny stuff, my plate actually reads HCHI RKU hahahaha

As per my wife well... I take her out in the car and she seems to enjoy it or so she gives me the impression that she enjoys it.

Offline J888www

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 19:19:09 »
My plate reads J888WWW :smile:

I collect Vintage Montblanc Ballpoints, lever or plunge action only.
Also Vintage Grand Seikos Calibers 45xx and 52xx from House Daini-Seikosha.
Recently started collecting Papermate Capri Ballpoints (NIB or NOS) only. As these were manufactured in the 50's, it is not easy to find.

Quote from: keyboardlover;238071
Religious arguments on this board can get fairly messy.....

If I may correct:-  Religious arguments on every board do get very messy....., along with Politics, Weather and some Children, it should only be seen and not heard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 24 October 2010, 19:41:47 by J888www »
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 20:27:19 »
my hobbies are still primarily computer based. Im not even here because I have a great zeal for keyboard so much as it is part of the overall computing experience for me. I like a lot of other things in moderation:

- music/movies/videogames (all also involve a tech component generally referred to as "home theater/entertainment")

- books (more recently I have gotten into comics which is interesting and more "hobby-esque")

- sports (hockey, mtb, golf and possibly skiing/snowboarding soon)

- photography (less so now that it is so ... HIP. I have to go back to doing it for ME and not caring what others do or think.)

- tea/coffee (right now it's trying different custom teas, and trying to avoid the money pit of being a "home barista". I think Im going to lose that battle.)

- I was heavy into yo-yos at one point, still have some skills and lurk over at the yo-yo nation forum

Quote from: nanu;238083
i continually evaluate what everyday carry (EDC) means to me with regards to the tools i use and carry with me. that led me to join edcforums.

most interesting thing I have seen posted here in some time. thanks
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline d4rkst4r

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 20:49:27 »
Quote from: iMav;238148
Me too.

Best "me too" post I've ever read. Astonishing.
Italian Red FKB104M/EB · Deck Legend Ice (tactile) · AEKII

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 24 October 2010, 21:35:48 »
My number one hobby: modifying Nerf guns, and having wars with them. There is something of an internet community surrounding it, and I drive all around the country to wars. I take it quite seriously :)

For context, we hardly ever use stock Nerf guns. Rather, we modify the **** out of them, and make our own darts. The result bears little to no relationship to the original, and approach the level of performance of paintball guns.

We have a lot of fun.

My main gun from last summer. All homemade, with a mostly aluminum frame.

The newest design I'm working on (CAD render). Much more streamlined, with an all-plastic body. This is meant to be easy to reproduce with only the most basic tools. And to fling foam projectiles at 300 feet per second.

Other hobbies:
  • Juggling (Diabolos in my case, though I do a lot of different props)
  • Playing Starcraft and Halo. Wooo.
  • Reading
  • Cycling

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Senor_Cartmenez

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 05:21:16 »
Does getting high count as a hobby? At least I did all the time when I was studying in the Netherlands :)

Nowadays I don't, the misses disapproves of smoke in general and the German government still follows the lead of the US government, which again has contracts with companies such as Dupont, the pharma industry, etc. , which again feel (rightfully so) threatened by the myriad of potential uses of the cannabis plant.

So no weed over nah. I don't approve of nore enjoy drinking alcohol much but I digress.

Hobbies include:
Gaming (a lot)
Poker (counts as gaming?), low cash only with friends. online once in a while for play money only
Basketball (luv it, about the only sport I can continuously enjoy)
Trolling around online communities, writing long ass responses that most likely no one reads till the end and wait to see what others have to say about my genius ;)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 25 October 2010, 14:30:48 »
Quote from: Daniel Beaver;238210
My number one hobby: modifying Nerf guns, and having wars with them.
That is a little bit tangental to my hobby of doing prop replicas for display and for costume. Many guns in sci-fi movies were based on real guns with parts added to them, but it is much easier when making a gun replica to start with a plastic toy or airsoft representation.
Sometimes builders like to create their own gun designs just for the fun of building, and there are even competitions in "custom" imaginary designs, some where the base even has to be a toy. Especially in these cases, Nerf guns are very often used as base.
There are also rubber dart toy versions of a few guns in Star Wars, that are really suitable for conversion into looking like the real thing. When you carry around a large gun for hours at a "troop", you first want something that is legal to carry, and second, you really want it to be lightweight.

Offline verbel

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 14:45:33 »
I spend way more time then I should on my computer so I would say that is my main thing but I also love the following.

Metal working (I spend a good bit of time doing blacksmithing mostly making knives and things like that.)
I play the violin and the mandolin and do so on a regular basis.
I don’t know if I would call it a hobby as I am required to do it for work, but I spend a good amount of time working out.
I love to read.
Play STARCRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (at a very low lvl)

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 15:05:36 »
Discgolf, music, wine and ****ing.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 15:37:58 »
It's the one I do when I'm not partaking in the other three.

You could do all four, but it all depends who you play DG with.  Some of those hippies are weird.

Offline elservo

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 15:50:19 »
I play disc golf while fornicating.  Makes for a better challenge.
AEKII(Home)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 19:10:38 »
Quote from: itlnstln;239581
Discgolf, music, wine and ****ing.

****ing is a nice hobby indeed.

My other hobbies are:
- Fountain pens
- Calligraphy
- Photography (would like to get into this one more)
- Scuba diving

About scuba diving. This is the most relaxing activity I have ever experienced, although I have not dived in Canada. I grew up on a tropical island, and therefore had the chance to dive in clear warm water.

Offline elservo

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 19:26:37 »
You should have been wearing a tux in that pic, Patrick.
AEKII(Home)

Offline firestorm

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 20:36:55 »
I don't have much time for hobbies these days, with a 5 year old boy and 21 month old girl running around.  Not so much money either.

I'm somewhat into A/V, in so much that is where most of my share of disposable income has gone, but photography is aiming to eclipse that.  My A/V system is a compromise between 2 channel music and surround sound for movies.  

At one point, I had considered getting into speaker building, but we started a family soon after that.  I did build the subwoofer, just a month before our son was born.  It's my least favorite thing in my system, mostly because it is not particularly "musical".  Response isn't flat enough and it can be boomy.  It sure can shake the room.  For $200 for the plate amp and driver, and $100 in misc parts and MDF, it's incredible.  My next investment will hopefully be a Rythmik Audio 15" active servo sub, mostly because I can't afford something like a Velodyne.

We have a fair collection of movies; about 250 titles.  Purchases slowed greatly once we had kids.  We don't go see movies as often, and can't keep a good pace with Netflix either, so I don't generally know what to buy.

Music has suffered more, and that bothers me more.  We have well over 500 CD's that I ripped to FLAC.  It gets played through a Slimdevices (now Logitech) Squeezebox, which is absolutely fantastic.  I just don't know what to buy anymore and rarely have time to just sit and listen ('though I make myself do so occasionally and never regret it, other than the inability to choose.)  Anything on the radio is either garbage or over played.  Anyway, we bought probably 490 of those CD's between 1990 and 2000 and have only bought about 30-40 since.

I'm also a car nut, but you wouldn't know it by looking at what we drive: a plain "low-option" minivan and a 100% stock 1/2 ton 4x4 truck.  If I can ever stop spending money on A/V gear, photography gear and daycare, that will hopefully change.  Meanwhile, I've been building up my tool collection, so I'm ready for a restoration project in the future.

Ahh... forgot the other money pit: Home improvement.  Not so much a hobby as me being handy + cheap.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 20:42:52 »
I've been collecting coins for a long time. I've got a big box full of wheat pennies that I've found around over the years (when I was a kid, I got the lady at the post office to give my any wheat pennies she found). I've also got some old silver quarters and dimes, along with a couple of old silver dollars, and some foreign money and bills, including some bills from Iraq a cousin got me while serving there.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 21:28:40 »
Quote from: firestorm;239684
My A/V system is a compromise between 2 channel music

Pics!!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 22:41:08 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;239686
I've been collecting coins for a long time.

Same here, although I tend towards the foreign stuff.  I'm 90 percent complete with a collection of South Korean modern banknotes (since 1962), but the last few cost Topre-style money.

Too much manga too.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline Viett

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 27 October 2010, 23:05:48 »
Quote from: d4rkst4r;238201
Best "me too" post I've ever read. Astonishing.

Seconded.

Other odd hobbies of mine:

Rubik's Cube
Origami

Less odd hobbies:

StarCraft
Biking
Parkour
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 October 2010, 23:08:40 by Viett »
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 00:28:35 »
Expensive exhibit, Ripster.  I've got one of those 2000s, after I heard that they are completely unloved by the marketplace; figured they'd be rare and desirable one day.

The fun thing about the Japanese notes is that it seems like every time you buy one figuring 'there's no way the dollar will sink that low', it does.

I bought a Y1000 note, a 1960s type, for $12 at a coin fair in like 2003, figuring "if the dollar hits 83 yen, I win"  Now, I'm working on the 2000-- when we get to 54 yen to the dollar, sometime in December...
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 00:57:52 »
Cooking, eating, drinking. Oh and recreational programming.
Current collection: HHKB Pro 2 black on black, HHKB Pro 2 white/grey blank, [strike]Dell AT101W[/strike] (sold to SirClickAlot), 1992 Model M, Key Tronic Ergoforce KT 2001, BTC 5100 C. Dead boards: MS Natural Elite, MS Natural 4000.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 05:31:28 »
I realized I usually loose interest in hobbies after 2 years. I guess I just enjoy learning something new instead of going into the last details for years. Also, many of the things I did where driven by equipment fetishism so my real hobby might just be buying a lot of equipment. Some of the things I did:

- Guitar playing (did it for years, never understood it)
- Power kiting / kite buggy
- 1964 Thunderbird
- HP48 calculator
- Lego Mindstorms
- Longboard skateboarding
- Drawing
- Sculpting
- My PDA
- Sprint canoeing

There's probably more.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 07:09:37 »
Quote from: lowpoly;239733
There's probably more.

Yeah, you forgot "making kick-ass keyboards."

Offline godly_music

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 07:55:14 »
I like buying a single, expensive thing that has a given use. And then I use it happily for 20 years. I don't collect, except music in digital format. I like videogames and the arts. Old movies > new movies. Anything > Pop. Society is making people dumber every day. Yes, that's a hobby.

Offline jeyoung

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 08:14:45 »
Count another photography hobbyist here.

D40, D200, FM2, FG20. And a Minolta X300.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 09:09:36 »
Quote from: KillerBee;239690
Pics!!

I haven't taken any in a couple years.  This is a horrible picture that I took soon after we got the TV (Panasonic TH-50PZ80U), which looks strangely small in the photo for a 50".  It looked huge when I took the shot, as it replaced a Sony 27" Wega.

I have aspirations to someday finish the basement and move this entire rig into the basement and put a strictly 2 channel system in this room.  

I think my Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver would please many audiophiles and that may remain upstairs if I pick up an HDMI capable receiver to replace it.  I LOVE that receiver, aside from the lack of HDMI.  

My mains are Paradigm Monitor 7 towers.  If I were going strictly for 2CH, I may have picked up the Studio 20's (about the same price.)  The Monitor 7's have a fuller sound that suits movies better IMO.  You almost don't need a subwoofer, and I wouldn't bother with anything less than a 10" sub.  They sound fantastic to my ears, but they don't seem to develop the same strong soundstage that the Studio 20's did at audition time.  The room they're in is horrible though.  They're where they are now because of the HT arrangement and (fortunately) that's the position that finally took out the harsh brightness in the tweeters.  If you turn the room 90 degrees, it results in reflections off a big picture window = ouchy ears when listening to Van Halen.  

My center is a Paradigm CC-270 that I picked up a year before the 7's.  It's a step down unfortunately.  Original intentions were to buy matching Phantoms, but upgrade-itis can strike at any moment!  It sounds fine, but I'd like to get a matching CC-370 some day.

Rears are Boston Acoustic HD-8 bookshelves that I picked up 10 years ago for $75.  8" woofers! LOL.  They lack a little midrange, but they do well for surround duty.  It was all I had for a while.

The sub: 15" Quatro driver ($80) and an SA240 plate amp ($120) from Parts Express.  My sealed cabinet is too small, so I think it has a bump around 30-40Hz and output trails off below that.

FWIW, I have Belden 5000UE 12AWG cables from bluejeanscables.com and love 'em!

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 09:16:10 »
Quote from: firestorm;239806
I haven't taken any in a couple years.  This is a horrible picture that I took soon after we got the TV (Panasonic TH-50PZ80U), which looks strangely small in the photo for a 50".  It looked huge when I took the shot, as it replaced a Sony 27" Wega.

I have aspirations to someday finish the basement and move this entire rig into the basement and put a strictly 2 channel system in this room.  

I think my Yamaha RX-V1300 receiver would please many audiophiles and that may remain upstairs if I pick up an HDMI capable receiver to replace it.  I LOVE that receiver, aside from the lack of HDMI.  

My mains are Paradigm Monitor 7 towers.  If I were going strictly for 2CH, I may have picked up the Studio 20's (about the same price.)  The Monitor 7's have a fuller sound that suits movies better IMO.  You almost don't need a subwoofer, and I wouldn't bother with anything less than a 10" sub.  They sound fantastic to my ears, but they don't seem to develop the same strong soundstage that the Studio 20's did at audition time.  The room they're in is horrible though.  They're where they are now because of the HT arrangement and (fortunately) that's the position that finally took out the harsh brightness in the tweeters.  If you turn the room 90 degrees, it results in reflections off a big picture window = ouchy ears when listening to Van Halen.  

My center is a Paradigm CC-270 that I picked up a year before the 7's.  It's a step down unfortunately.  Original intentions were to buy matching Phantoms, but upgrade-itis can strike at any moment!  It sounds fine, but I'd like to get a matching CC-370 some day.

Rears are Boston Acoustic HD-8 bookshelves that I picked up 10 years ago for $75.  8" woofers! LOL.  They lack a little midrange, but they do well for surround duty.  It was all I had for a while.

The sub: 15" Quatro driver ($80) and an SA240 plate amp ($120) from Parts Express.  My sealed cabinet is too small, so I think it has a bump around 30-40Hz and output trails off below that.

FWIW, I have Belden 5000UE 12AWG cables from bluejeanscables.com and love 'em!

tight.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 09:22:08 »
NIIIIIICE!!

Im runnning a Pair of Carver M500 Power amps and Carver CT-Seven Pre Amps in both my setups.

My bedroom system has a Carver M-500 and a Pair of Klipsch Epic CF-1 while in the living room I have the same Carver M-500 but a (t) model with a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 10-A

I see you have a Cube and a Dreamcast Nice! For me the 360 stays in my bedroom while the NES and SNES are in the living room.

as far as cables go I have all monster cables, as a radio shack closed near by and they liquidated all their stock of cables at a very cheap price

Offline KillerBee

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 09:28:20 »
You are one well rounded individual ripster.

Offline firestorm

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 28 October 2010, 11:07:52 »
I've never heard a pre/pro setup, and I'm a little afraid to!  If I ever go that route, it would start with a decent pre-amp run through my Yamaha (has 6.1 analog inputs.)  

There's also the NES and ColecoVision.  I've had the "Coleco" since around 1982-83.  It still works, but requires some warm up time and one controller has a bad trigger button.  I'm not confident enough to try fixing either issue.  I'm getting close to selling the Cube.  It hasn't been hooked up since the Wii arrived.

I had Monster XP 14AWG wire and didn't like it.  Hard to pull through the floor/walls (rubbery sheath) and the strands broke easily.  The clips were even worse.  I needed more wire, so I replaced it all.  The Belden stuff cost half as much and is much better IMO (doesn't look as cool though.)  And I paid for nearly half the Belden cable by selling the Monster XP cable. :)

Quote from: KillerBee;239816
You are one well rounded individual ripster.

Agreed.  I hope to build a Rythmik kit in the next year, especially if we begin work on the basement.  

Ripster, did you go for a sealed alignment?  I don't see any vents.  That's probably the route I'll go (sealed).