Author Topic: What are your other expensive non-keyboard hobbies?  (Read 20000 times)

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What are your other expensive non-keyboard hobbies?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 21:01:30 »
Tropical fish-keeping.
The little turds live in a more expensive environment than I do.

.. but they make me smile, so it's OK.

Tell us m0ar about the fish..!

Offline Meowsaur

• I don't like that.
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 00:13:15 »

One of my spiky boys alongside my RAMA M6-A (with bonus missing screw):

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 05:21:20 »

One of my spiky boys alongside my RAMA M6-A (with bonus missing screw):

Show Image

Dat's a cool fish.  Kind of like Mega Gyarados

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 16:00:53 »
Every time I start a new hobby to degrade the amount of money wasted for the previous one, it turns out even more expensive...

Currently, listening to music (vinyl only) and finding the perfect whisky.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline stolenweapon

« Reply #104 on: Thu, 09 August 2018, 19:49:06 »
csgo skins, headphones, and fountain pens
OTD 356CL Black | 2x OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356.2 Factory Gray Ano 1/2 | 2x OTD 356.2 Blue Grey | 2x OTD 356mini Military Green | 5x OTD 356mini Red | OTD 356mini Black | 9x OTD 360C Apple Silver | 2x OTD 360C Hyper Grey | OTD 356L | 2x OTD 356N MKII Black | OTD 456GT Pink & Black | 3x OTD 356 Pad (2x Black, 1x Military Green) | 2x OTD Koala WKL Silver & Black | OTD Koala WK Silver & Black

TGR Jane V2 Pink Prototype 1/1 | TGR Jane V2 1/2 Brushed Toblerone Weight | 8x TGR Jane V2 | 6x TGR Jane CE V2 | TGR 910RE | TGR 910 VKC | TGR Alice Purple 1/5 | TGR Alice Red | TGR-03 | TGR Tris

LZ-SE | 3x LZ-RE | LZ-CP | LZ-MP SE

Keycult No.2 Stainless Steel | 2x KMAC Happy | 2x DK Saver MX & Alps

Offline Kavik

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 15:23:41 »
I finished building my garage gym a week ago (I acquired and assembled the equipment over about three months), so constructing that and now using it has been taking a bit of my time. I could have done this for fairly cheap, but the materials for the platform were more expensive than the guide I followed stated. I also decided to go with bumper plates instead of iron, which would have saved me a few hundred dollars. All in all, it was about $2k for the whole setup, but the bumpers were almost 1/3 of that.

For the past two months or so, I've been going to a Karate class, but that's not expensive since the Sensei is doing it for free (just $5 for the gym's mat fee).

I've been reading too, which is only expensive because I'm doing it through onlinegreatbooks.com and basically pay for monthly Socratic seminars. Not sure it's worth the cost yet, but I wouldn't be reading these books otherwise, especially at the given pace.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 17:31:53 »
Travelling. 2-4 international trips a year but as a travel agent I try to make it is affordable as possible

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 01:46:53 »
Travelling. 2-4 international trips a year but as a travel agent I try to make it is affordable as possible
I could imagine as a travel agent you know when to jump on a vacation offer. :))
I haven't been to that many countries but again traveling has never really been my thing. I'd love to re-visit America though.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 02:04:23 »
I could imagine as a travel agent you know when to jump on a vacation offer. :))
I haven't been to that many countries but again traveling has never really been my thing. I'd love to re-visit America though.

Travel Agent :  AKA, Secs-tourism..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 02:34:00 »

I have a workmate who always visits Asian countries when he goes on vacation. Every. Single. Time. he's in Asia.
He's single too, so I wonder what he's doing down there. :D

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 03:41:04 »

I have a workmate who always visits Asian countries when he goes on vacation. Every. Single. Time. he's in Asia.

Probebly ladybois.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 04:40:40 »

Probebly ladybois.
That's what I've jokingly been inferring. Could there be something to it? :eek:

Offline iri

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 08:32:54 »
Truth?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 08:38:00 »

Probebly ladybois.

// Look of disapproval..

// Also, one wouldn't share a soda wit dat guy.. !!

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 11:52:35 »

Probebly ladybois.

// Look of disapproval..

// Also, one wouldn't share a soda wit dat guy.. !!

I only share workspace with him. And even then not often, he's always wondering around making our department look incompetent.

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 19 August 2018, 13:02:54 »
Clothing, Pocket knives, Watches... Lego...

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 20:18:44 »
Sometimes I feel like I have too many.  :-[

Motorcycles - I’m a supersport lover. Insurance is a *****
Vinyl - I was addicted after I fixed up my late grandfathers old Pioneer
Instruments - Percussion mostly, along with bass and guitar. I dream of a nice Skervesen 7 string
Firearms & Ammo - Mainly rifles. I built an AR15 last year, wanting to get a nice AR10 next year
PC Hardware - Built a new PC as a graduation gift to myself a couple months ago
Video Games - Though I spend a lot less of my money and time on games now

A part of me wants more hobbies while the rest of me weeps thinking about how much it will cost
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 21:46:34 »

Totally agree with you there.

Guitars & Keyboards & Equipment to go with them: I've pretty much slowed down now, but I'm always on the lookout.
Video and Computer Games: Even given steam sales and humble bundles, I have a backlog that years deep, and have spent way more money that I should have.
EDC: If I'd known when I started how expensive this would get, I'd have just stuck with my keys on a split ring and my simple wallet.
RPGs: I have enough for a store (mostly from when I used to work in one), and still back a lot of Kickstarters for more.
Boardgames: See above.
Computers: I have way more computers than I really need, and still buy more.
Dice, Coins, Tokens, and accessories for rpg/boardgames: Didn't think dice were expensive?  They can be.  Very expensive.  Waiting for a set of wenge dice inlaid with mother of pearl right now.
Bags: I can never find the perfect one to take to work.

I've let go of my extensive DVD collection finally.  But now I'm just getting digital.  Not expensive singly, but en masse, it's not pretty.
I also finally got rid of my miniature collection- Warhammer 40k and Warmachine.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 20 August 2018, 23:00:18 »

Motorcycles - I’m a supersport lover. Insurance is a *****
Vinyl - I was addicted after I fixed up my late grandfathers old Pioneer
Instruments - Percussion mostly, along with bass and guitar. I dream of a nice Skervesen 7 string
Firearms & Ammo - Mainly rifles. I built an AR15 last year, wanting to get a nice AR10 next year
PC Hardware - Built a new PC as a graduation gift to myself a couple months ago
Video Games - Though I spend a lot less of my money and time on games now

A part of me wants more hobbies while the rest of me weeps thinking about how much it will cost

I saw this minimalism documentary lately..

The gist is, the advertising system sells us 1-avenue of happiness.l

And it more/less IS Happiness..

But there ARE other methods..

So, it's less so straight Anti-Consumerism,  and more an enlightenment of the fact that we Have Options for filling the void in our lives..

Of course the first thing this documentary did was cause Tp4 stress..

And so for the past week Tp4 has been planning out a Threadripper 2 build..

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 05:42:47 »
And so for the past week Tp4 has been planning out a Threadripper 2 build.. [/size][/color]
I think you should do it.
Threadripper server build is the dream.
I wouldn't need all these other pc's.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 09:22:04 »
And so for the past week Tp4 has been planning out a Threadripper 2 build.. [/size][/color]
I think you should do it.
Threadripper server build is the dream.
I wouldn't need all these other pc's.

Already own powerful servers, 4cpu 24core 128gb memory @ 900watt idle,  but Tp4 wants to switch to threadripper because it'd be cheaper to run..

Offline typo

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 09:44:55 »
I thought I saw someone had a Pl@co. If you have to ask..... I had True Zebras! Sold them after years. What I am talking about is a $15,000 pet fish lol. Of course there are Pl@co's for 50 cents too.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 09:53:17 »
I thought I saw someone had a Pl@co. If you have to ask..... I had True Zebras! Sold them after years. What I am talking about is a $15,000 pet fish lol. Of course there are Pl@co's for 50 cents too.

If Tp4 hadn't become a PC guy,  he would've been Aquarium-guy, or Bug-guy with the 1000 little-drawers....

Alas, it wasn't fated..

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 17:14:45 »
RPGs: I have enough for a store (mostly from when I used to work in one), and still back a lot of Kickstarters for more.

I've always wanted to get into boardgames and tabletop games but I never had any friends that were interested.

I had this problem too. I wanted a bag to take everywhere. School, work, gym, travel, etc. I got a Goruck GR1 21L and I absolutely love it. PRICEY for a backpack, but the student/mil/LE/government employee discount they offer is pretty forgiving. That said, the thing is built like a tank and comes with a warranty that covers everything short of setting the damn thing on fire. I like it so much that I'm going to also get a GR2 at some point.

I've let go of my extensive DVD collection finally.  But now I'm just getting digital.  Not expensive singly, but en masse, it's not pretty.

Also this. *cough* Handbrake *cough* MakeMKV *cough*
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 18:12:02 »

I've let go of my extensive DVD collection finally. 

I am in a similar position. I have at least 1K CDs of sophisticated collector-grade jazz and rock (mostly 1960s-1970s) that I would gladly let go of for ~$1 each but I am not inclined to publish a list and sell them piecemeal.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 21:27:20 »

I've always wanted to get into boardgames and tabletop games but I never had any friends that were interested.

I had this problem too. I wanted a bag to take everywhere. School, work, gym, travel, etc. I got a Goruck GR1 21L and I absolutely love it. PRICEY for a backpack, but the student/mil/LE/government employee discount they offer is pretty forgiving. That said, the thing is built like a tank and comes with a warranty that covers everything short of setting the damn thing on fire. I like it so much that I'm going to also get a GR2 at some point.

Also this. *cough* Handbrake *cough* MakeMKV *cough*

Yeah... I was using MakeMKV to transfer to my NAS.  But I was also moving and when I say a massive collection... I mean a massive collection.  I, unfortunately, had to make sacrifices.

As far as bags, right now I'm carrying either a Knomo Durham or an LM Products Commuter Bag or a Timbuk2 Commute, depending on the day and how I have to look.  I also have a few slings- I like the Aer Day Sling a lot, so carry that when I don't need my laptop or my Surface. Those GoRucks are nice- I just don't do backpacks well for daily use, though I do have an Eagle Creek Gear Hauler for single bag airline travel (the only way to fly- especially overseas).

I used to have a few friends, and would play a lot at work and we'd have game jams to get together and just play boardgames.  Sadly, I moved- so I didn't see the need to keep them all.  That reasoning doesn't extend to RPGs though.

I am in a similar position. I have at least 1K CDs of sophisticated collector-grade jazz and rock (mostly 1960s-1970s) that I would gladly let go of for ~$1 each but I am not inclined to publish a list and sell them piecemeal.

That's pretty major!  My dad had a *lot* of collector grade CDs and LPs when he passed (blues/jazz/musicals).  Unfortunately, I was in a different state, and my sister wasn't inclined to save them, so they got tossed.  He also had a typewriter fixation (I guess that's where I get my keyboard fixation from), and they all went bye-bye too.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 21:45:10 »
Yeah... I was using MakeMKV to transfer to my NAS.  But I was also moving and when I say a massive collection... I mean a massive collection.  I, unfortunately, had to make sacrifices.

I get that. I got a 6TB drive for file storage, mostly media. With the film and music I'm already close to 3TB deep. But those are amateur numbers, I'm sure. The day will come when I regret not getting the 8TB model.  :))

That's pretty major!  My dad had a *lot* of collector grade CDs and LPs when he passed (blues/jazz/musicals).  Unfortunately, I was in a different state, and my sister wasn't inclined to save them, so they got tossed.  He also had a typewriter fixation (I guess that's where I get my keyboard fixation from), and they all went bye-bye too.

Oh man, I think I would have cried a little.
I had a neighbor, kind old woman, she moved to an assisted living facility. Almost tossed a ton of LPs in the trash when they were cleaning out. She gave them to me.
Collection:
More

Offline typo

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 03:24:45 »
I have Tens of thousands of CD's. I do not rip them. I feel Redbook sounds best on super high end spinner into super highend dac. Goldmund>MSB Select. If I like new music I just try to buy Flac. Music does not get "old" so I can spin what I have the rest of my life. I am telling everyone music servers getting lazier and lazier. The sound of a spinner is far superior.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 07:18:43 »

Music does not get "old" so I can spin what I have the rest of my life

I suspect that LPs will prove far more durable than CDs in the long term.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 10:03:56 »

Non keyboard hobbies? I think mice..
My dad does a lot of fishkeeping. To be honest i think it's more expensive than PC gaming combined!
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 April 2019, 10:37:18 by trizkut »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 13:14:01 »
Same argument can be made about good food/fine dining - literally flushing money down the ****ter.

The older I get the more I realize some of my most cherished and memorable moments were of eating excellent meals. I think the confluence of senses all at once solidify the memory of eating a good meal more than other experiences. Food is one of those definites in life, after all what is the point of human existence if not to bide time between meals? Sleeping and eating are the only two things a human needs to sustain itself, and eating is the only one of those you do while conscious.

Offline JP

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 14:01:35 »
Same argument can be made about good food/fine dining - literally flushing money down the ****ter.

The older I get the more I realize some of my most cherished and memorable moments were of eating excellent meals. I think the confluence of senses all at once solidify the memory of eating a good meal more than other experiences. Food is one of those definites in life, after all what is the point of human existence if not to bide time between meals? Sleeping and eating are the only two things a human needs to sustain itself, and eating is the only one of those you do while conscious.

Live to eat or eat to live.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 18:21:46 »
you are americans, so the former for you!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury